Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

I'm sure they're all be on redwatch soon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Has this been posted yet?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sdBVFFZry9o

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Peter Kay why :smith:

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?
Britain First founder Jim Dawson sentenced for his part in Belfast Flag protests:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-32383700

VVV

Bonehead wrote this too which raised a few eyebrows:

https://ukipvoices.wordpress.com/2015/04/12/ukip-is-it-time-to-talk-about-the-issue-of-race-within-our-party/

Presumably he's staying out of the klink because the gobby little shite would incite someone to murder him within 6 hours.

KayTee fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Apr 20, 2015

Crashbee
May 15, 2007

Stupid people are great at winning arguments, because they're too stupid to realize they've lost.
Bonehill's been arrested yet again, presumably for malicious communications after abusing Jack Monroe.
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/jack-monroe-man-posing-as-ukip-candidate-arrested-for-abusing-gay-poverty-campaigner-10187482.html

Renfield
Feb 29, 2008
That headline is annoying 'posing as', rather than 'former'

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*
Bonehills never been a UKIP candidate. He was a member for a brief time in 2013

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Haha, the far right is "protecting" the Haredi in the UK? Man, imagining some skinhead chatting with them and being all "You know Shlomo, I weren't sure about you, but after seeing your deep and committed contempt for women, I think we really have more in common than not."

Unless the Haredi in UK differ from the Israeli ones, couldn't really find much online about it, kept getting stories of them loving up flights rather than if they actually treat women like people.

Skinhead does not = nazi, please don't perpetuate the stupid misuse of the word.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Interesting reading from the Tower Hamlets judgment:

quote:

• All parties agreed – and it is probably a matter on which judicial notice may properly be taken – that the EDL was an overtly racist organisation, particularly hostile to Muslims. It was also agreed that it is an organisation which does not shrink from violence or attempting to provoke violence in others. In Tower Hamlets and indeed, in the UK, political terms it is wholly negligible. As far as can be ascertained, it does not often seek democratic election and, when it does, its level of failure is absolute. Its membership is tiny, though undoubtedly noisy.
  • The EDL’s modus operandi appears to be that, from time to time, it proposes a march, usually through an area with a large BME, preferably a large Muslim, population. A march by the EDL in Tower Hamlets in September 2013 featured in the evidence. Once the march is proposed, all the political and community organisations in the area normally vie with each other in demanding that the march be banned. If it is not, then, they plan a large counter-demonstration. Pausing there, this is (certainly on the evidence before the court) an opportunity for each group to castigate the supposed half-heartedness of the others and to adopt a ‘more anti-fascist than thou’ posture. The march occurs: the assembled political and community groups stage their counter-protest. Sometimes a few heads get broken. The police and (subsequently) the street cleaners deservedly earn substantial overtime. The dogs bark and the caravan moves on. Everyone congratulates themselves that they have ‘seen off the fascists’.
  • No apologies are made for this somewhat cynical view of the EDL’s activities, because the uses to which the EDL was put by Mr Rahman and THF were equally cynical. Apart from causing a brouhaha once a year or thereabouts, the power and influence of the EDL is, in somewhere like Tower Hamlets, non-existent.
  • But the EDL does have its uses. Because it dislikes Mr Rahman – undoubtedly, in the case of the EDL, because he is non-white – the EDL seizes on any criticism of Mr Rahman and repeats it on social media. This enables Mr Rahman and his cohorts to argue as follows: criticisms of Mr Rahman by his political opponents are adopted and repeated by the EDL: the EDL is a racist organisation: therefore anyone who criticises Mr Rahman is giving aid and comfort to the EDL: therefore anyone who gives aid and comfort to the EDL is himself a racist: therefore it is racist to criticise Mr Rahman. This series of propositions informed all the responses of Mr Rahman and his team to criticisms and may be taken to be an epitome of the thought processes of Mr Alibor Choudhury.
  • Truly, in Tower Hamlets, if the EDL did not exist, like Voltaire’s God, it would be necessary to invent it.

Basically: everyone agrees the EDL are racist fucks, even the judge, but in TH they were primarily used as a device by Luftur Rahman to smear the Tower Hamlets Labour Party.

The judgment, in Rahman's defence, does sympathise with Rahman over his expulsion from the Labour Party, though.

Stottie Kyek
Apr 26, 2008

fuckin egg in a bun

Tias posted:

Skinhead does not = nazi, please don't perpetuate the stupid misuse of the word.

That's why I wear communist or anti-fascist badges if I'm at a protest or other political event, so people don't assume I'm a fash. Bloody nazis stealing butch women's fashion, they've associated themselves with all our favourite things like plaid shirts, denim and heavy boots. :mad:

I mean, it's not the worst thing they've ever done, but I'm still annoyed about it.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

TinTower posted:

Interesting reading from the Tower Hamlets judgment:

Basically: everyone agrees the EDL are racist fucks, even the judge, but in TH they were primarily used as a device by Luftur Rahman to smear the Tower Hamlets Labour Party.

The judgment, in Rahman's defence, does sympathise with Rahman over his expulsion from the Labour Party, though.

It did rather backfire on him at the last one (in 2013) because he got booed a lot by locals when he tried to make it all about him (as he tries to do with literally every single thing that happens in Tower Hamlets), to the point none of his speech was shown on the news (although the local Labour councilor whose name I can never bloody remember, but who Rahman has been trying to destroy ever since she got in, did get lots of screen time, which I'm sure hurt).

Of course the Afzal Amin case makes me think about the Britain First "operation" on Brick Lane the weekend before the mayoral election...

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

Stottie Kyek posted:

That's why I wear communist or anti-fascist badges if I'm at a protest or other political event, so people don't assume I'm a fash. Bloody nazis stealing butch women's fashion, they've associated themselves with all our favourite things like plaid shirts, denim and heavy boots. :mad:

I mean, it's not the worst thing they've ever done, but I'm still annoyed about it.

For the longest time I was convinced the plaid denim and docs was typical fash look because the only people who dressed that way in Switzerland were gabbers with 88 badges and fake bullseye tats.

Tias
May 25, 2008

I don't usually go into it here on SA because people are like "DURRRR if the word is associated with fascism now, just stop using it, it's a lost cause"

I'm not sociologist or whatever, but having my culture, which specifically is about interracial friendship, tarnished by these morons is not going without a fight.

Anyway, it's a derail, sorry.

In other news, PEGIDA attendance in Denmark has dwindled rapidly recently, and there's rumblings of them closing shop entirely :toot:

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Tias posted:

I don't usually go into it here on SA

lmao yeah you do

it's pretty much the only thing i associate your avatar with by now

Tias
May 25, 2008

I used to, yes, but the persistance of goons have gotten the better of me. Don't wrestle with pigs, you get covered in poo poo and the pig likes it ;)

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Tias posted:

I don't usually go into it here on SA because people are like "DURRRR if the word is associated with fascism now, just stop using it, it's a lost cause"

I'm not sociologist or whatever, but having my culture, which specifically is about interracial friendship, tarnished by these morons is not going without a fight.

Anyway, it's a derail, sorry.

In other news, PEGIDA attendance in Denmark has dwindled rapidly recently, and there's rumblings of them closing shop entirely :toot:
Yea, sorry mate, shoulda known better, I actually knew some real skins but ehh, force of habit in English.

Plasmafountain
Jun 17, 2008

KayTee posted:

Britain First founder Jim Dawson sentenced for his part in Belfast Flag protests:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-32383700

VVV

Bonehead wrote this too which raised a few eyebrows:

https://ukipvoices.wordpress.com/2015/04/12/ukip-is-it-time-to-talk-about-the-issue-of-race-within-our-party/

Presumably he's staying out of the klink because the gobby little shite would incite someone to murder him within 6 hours.

You got any evidence that that ukipvoices wordpress is run by bonehill?

EDIT: DERP I CANT loving READ :qq:

Plasmafountain fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Apr 25, 2015

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?
Hope Not Hate really did wring it's handkerchief when discussing if it should focus on UKIP.

Although UKIP deny it - there is an overlap and it's getting more and more attention. Here's todays:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...use-online.html

Please forgive Mail link.

quote:

One Labour canvasser said that Mr Field sprayed her with deodorant

Mr Field said he did spray her but claimed the incident was just 'banter'

Can we officially define 'banter' as 'Horrible thing I did that I refuse to admit is horriable'?

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
That basically is the definition among non-twats.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3055671/Exposed-EDL-thug-South-Thanet-backing-Nigel-Farage-s-Ukip-rival-candidate-receives-sickening-abuse-online.html posted:

We went to Ukip meeting with members of Kent NF and after the meeting Nigel Farage went on Twitter saying we have far right extremists here... the question is nig, do you want our vote or not?
That's an odd abbreviation for Nigel :crossarms:

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

I've heard older asians slate punks and say they hated us pakis while latching onto the blacks for having cool music and that the anti racist stuff was retroactive whitewashing when they realised they shared a subculture with too many actual racist skinheads to just no true Scotsmen them all.

Tias
May 25, 2008

It's a bit too complex to generalize like that. Clearly a lot of punks were apolitical and some were nazis back then, and even early skinheads joined up with BNP, but nowhere except Britain was racist sentiment a large part of skinhead culture, and even less so for punks.

Stottie Kyek
Apr 26, 2008

fuckin egg in a bun
There's a few Red and/or anarchist skins in Britain, continental Europe and the US these days too. Antifa and various communist youth movements have a lot of us.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Anti-Racist Action in the US spawned mainly off of SHARP(Skinheads Against Racial Prejudice) groups, IIRC.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Tias posted:

It's a bit too complex to generalize like that. Clearly a lot of punks were apolitical and some were nazis back then, and even early skinheads joined up with BNP, but nowhere except Britain was racist sentiment a large part of skinhead culture, and even less so for punks.

Not really related but thinking of the politicisation of the pub rock and punk scene of the 70s always reminds me that Garry Bushell and a bunch of his NF mates got the living poo poo kicked out of them by the Cockney Rejects for trying to give out literature at one of their first gigs, and it always makes me happy to remember that.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
From the Ugly and Awkward thread in PYF - UKIP Youth.

quote:

Charlie Amos, 15, is a GCSE student from East Ginstead, Sussex. "People say Ukip would take Britain back to the 1950s, but there were lots of good things about the 1950s," he says.

Which naturally lead to this:

John Big Booty posted:

This is why the Sorting Hat tried to put him in Slytherin.

Chocolate Teapot
May 8, 2009

Gorilla Salad posted:

From the Ugly and Awkward thread in PYF - UKIP Youth.

Which naturally lead to this:

I thought it was pretty bloody hypocritical for the Telegraph to post this sort of thing when young Tories like these (excluding the first one) have existed since forever.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Tias posted:

True, but I know that either way in the 70s and 80s many asians in London and Birmingham were terrified of all skinheads whether racist or anti racist, because how do you tell the difference as a terrified immigrant, and some of that continues today in the older generation and the youth are told to watch out for all skinheads.

Basically we're racist towards skinheads and I wish you'd integrate with us hairhavers.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Skinheads are fash and some people appropriated their look and name its not that difficult

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

Skinheads are fash and some people appropriated their look and name its not that difficult

Think it happened the other way round mate. They're trying it again with "autonomous nationalists" doing the Black Bloc thing.

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

Meet frustration face to face
A point of view creates more waves
So lose some sleep and say you tried

That's bollocks mate. The trad/trojan skin movement very definitely weren't fash.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

KayTee posted:

Can we officially define 'banter' as 'Horrible thing I did that I refuse to admit is horriable'?

Banter is horrible poo poo which should be condemned in the same way that skinheads are neos.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

quote:

Oh no, Harry Potter is a 'kipper :(

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

He lives in a magical fantasy land, of course he loving is.

Eyoo referendumus!

Tias
May 25, 2008

Hmm, yase, the originally working class black subculture based on black/white friendship was fascist, and it then got appropriated by non-idiots, and not the other way around.

:frogout: and don't come back.

tag youre fat
Aug 16, 2013

C'est l'homme ideal
charme au masculin
For a group of people clearly trying to look hard, skinheads are very sensitive.

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

Meet frustration face to face
A point of view creates more waves
So lose some sleep and say you tried
Calling non-racist people racist is a great way of getting peoples backs up. I recommend you go to an antifa meet and try it out.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I always assumed it was anti-establishment rather than trying to look hard, given that the punk look is more or less the polar opposite of the business suit.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Britain First leaders reacted poorly to being called out by veterans in Dudley (plus relevant anti-racist punk callouts).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWRizuygBJw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
What's that white and black flag with the red cross? I haven't seen it before, is it specific to Britain First?

Whatever it is it's about as fascist-looking as you can get without putting a swastika on there, which I expect is the point.

e: Apologies in advance if I've maligned an innocent flag.

• Locked thread