Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?
Got some legitimisation:

As a new poster I'm a bit overwhelmed by SA - I've searched for topics about the EDL and found nothing but a few posts in the UK Megathread which is now dead, according to the IMG'd poster. So - Please don't E-kill me. Please do direct me to any existing EDL threads that I didn't find, though.

I'm a bit of a fan of the EDL because they are loving hilarious. I've thrown together this thread to share my observations of them - a good three years of observations, and to gather some alternative views.

For example - Should the EDL be proscribed by the government?

They have a right to free speech and peaceful protest - sure. But so do MAC/Al Muhajiroun/Islam4UK. And they're all banned. And they didn't do this: http://youtu.be/TxdTEVzzr_s which (was) a typical EDL protest. (Granted they're more 'peaceful' now, because the police presence usually outnumbers them - but they still get up to some mischief: http://tinyurl.com/d5ql5am )

There is no law against being a gigantic prick in public. But, apparently being a gigantic prick and smashing up a family eatery is A-OKAY, but being a gigantic prick and being Muslim means you get the banhammer.

I've got a big old "Newbies introduction to the EDL" post that I can share if people want it. As well as a wealth of stories over their daft exercises across the UK that I can share. And I hope to update this thread with current trends Like Tommeh's recent promotion to Deputy head of the British Freedom Party (Got an intro post for them too if you're interested). The BFP are a massive force on UK politics now. According to them. I mean they had a whole 17 votes in Liverpool County.

But hay - Maybe I'm a rose-tinted-glasses-wearing ,yoghurt weaving, mung bean eating, corduroy and sandals wearing, basket weaving loonie lefty and I just don't know what the real world is like and I'm just as brainwashed by http://edlnews.co.uk/ as Tommeh is by http://barenakedislam.com/

Who knows.

Any thoughts or questions?

Plese don't E-kill me.

KayTee fucked around with this message at 14:50 on May 7, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?

Bryter posted:

It's disingenuous, or profoundly ignorant, to suggest that a group representing the interests of the country shouldn't be afforded more rights than those groups who want to destroy it and all it stands for.

MAC had, at best, a cricket teams worth of followers. Saiful Islam and Anjem Choudary are banned from preaching in mosques in the UK. It's not as though these people were accepted by the communities they claimed to represent.

I find it as distasteful as anyone else but people have the right to say poo poo we don't like - so long as they do it in a nonviolent manner.

MAC's biggest criminal act was starting a wastepaper bin fire. They burned poppies. Now; As disrespectful as that is they have the right to do it. (And the poppies they burned were the big old £5 ones. So they actually did donate a fair bit more than the average bloke to the RBL)

For over the pond examples: Bryan Fischer, Pat Roberson and Fred Phelps. Utterly reprehensible creatures, but with the right to say poo poo people will argue with.

As an aside - The EDL's token brown spokeman Guramit Singh was threatened with discomminication from the Sikh faith for his part in the EDL's early years ( http://www.pickledpolitics.com/archives/12404 ) You can argue that no high-level Immam has tried to discomminicate Abu Hamza. It's all resting on this weirdly blurry "freedom of speech" line.

Thing is - MAC, as reprehensible as their views were (are - they haven't gone away, they just call themselves something else now) they didn't perform the actions as demonstrated by the EDL attacking Big John's. Nor did they rack up ludicrous policing bills. The EDL are still allowed to exploit their "right to peaceful taxpayer-finded pissups" MAC whose impact on Luton/London's taxpater bill was no more than a small village fate.

And yet, the EDL have their own political party. and MAC are banned. Go figure.

KayTee fucked around with this message at 14:57 on May 7, 2012

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?

ts12 posted:

Didn't Breivik have ties or something to the EDL or was that someone else/not true? Also this thread has the worst title god drat

He did.

Tommy Robinson, leader of the EDL and his Uncle Kev Carrol both received copies of his manifesto. As did several other EDL higher-ups.

zeroprime posted:

You may want to do that before you get probated for signing your post.

Sure...

Tl;dr: Check the video right at the end.

Did you know that England is under threat? Every day law-abiding, native British citizens are assaulted by Islamic extremism, sharia law, halal foods and burkas. Thankfully, there are those special few courageous people ready to place themselves on the front line of the war against Islamic extremism. Brave, valiant patriots who take to the streets to show the islamists that we shall not bow to sahria law! That we shall not be forced to consume halal products! And that we shall not be placed in burkas!

These brave people are the English Defence League. The glorious EDL.

Here, EDL spokesperson Ryan McGarvey explains why he, personally, is taking part in an EDL march.

http://youtu.be/kjuNuqIev8M

Yeah...

Dance version:
http://youtu.be/AIPD8qHhtVU

Muslamic Ray Guns are now standard equipment to the opponents of the EDL. We use them to transform food halal, turn judges into sharia islamists and turn swimsuits into burkas.

The EDL is a collection of racists, football hooligans, neo-Nazis and varied far-right extremists. They are chronically misinformed, wilfully ignorant and blatantly racist. Every few weeks they head out into large towns and cities in the UK to ‘protest’ against extremist Islam, apparently under the impression that everyone else supports extremism and that the best way to defeat it is to waste public money by creating obscene police bills, causing great damage to public buildings and property and losing local businesses vast amounts of trade.

They have been around for almost three years now, and have protested in many major cities with large ethnic minorities such as Birmingham, Leeds, Luton, Liverpool and sections of London such as Tower Hamlets. I’ll get to the protests later, but first let’s look at the people who run and form the EDL. You’d be correct in thinking that the meme-spawning idiot in the video above is not typical of an EDL member. But he’s not far off.

This is Stephen Yaxley-Lennon.

He is most often known by his pseudonym: Tommy Robinson. The name ‘Tommy Robinson’ is an homage to a famous football hooligan in Luton in the mid 70’s

“Tommy” is an Ex-BNP member (The BNP, British National Party, is the current face of what was the British National Front. It is part of the last, dying remnants of far-right Nazi/fascist political parties in the UK) He had, prior to his creation of the EDL, convictions for resisting arrest, possessing cocaine and assault occasioning actual bodily harm, specifically on his then partner one Jenna Vowles.

In the spoiler is a video demonstrating how the EDL defend us from Islamic extremism, specifically in this case from a family take-away that serves Halal food:

http://youtu.be/TxdTEVzzr_s

Let’s look at their ‘Mission Statement’ from their website: ( http://englishdefenceleague.org/about-us/mission-statement/ )

quote:

(1) HUMAN RIGHTS: Protecting And Promoting Human Rights

The English Defence League (EDL) is a human rights organisation

... says it all, doesn’t it. A ‘human rights’ organisation that performs as you’ve seen above. A ‘human rights’ organisation that encourages behaviour such as this:

http://edge.liveleak.com/80281E/u/u...26extra_params=

If you can’t bear to watch this video of EDL’s Yorkshire division, their chants include gems like:

“Allah is a pedo”
“Let’s go kill a Muslim”
“Muslim pedos off our streets”
“Let’s go fuckin’ mental”
“Burn a poppy, we’ll burn your mosque!”
And the ever popular:
“Allah! Allah! Who the gently caress is Allah?”

Mixed in with chants of “Eng-er-land”

quote:

[The EDL was] founded in the wake of the shocking actions of a small group of Muslim extremists who, at a homecoming parade in Luton, openly mocked the sacrifices of our service personnel without any fear of censure.

Because: freedom of speech. The EDL have a problem understanding freedom of speech. It seems to boil down to “you have freedom of speech, so long as you don’t say anything we don’t like.”

quote:

The EDL calls upon the Government to repeal legislation that prevents effective freedom of speech, for freedom of speech is essential if the human rights abuses that sometimes manifest themselves around Islam are to be stopped.

“I mean if we call people pakis or niggers, or claim loudly that any Muslim we meet is a pedo terrorist, we get arrested. It’s a two-tier system!”

quote:

(2) DEMOCRACY AND THE RULE OF LAW: Promoting Democracy And The Rule Of Law By Opposing Sharia
The European Court of Human Rights has declared that ‘sharia is incompatible with the fundamental principles of democracy’. Despite this, there are still those who are more than willing to accommodate sharia norms, and who believe that sharia can operate in partnership with our existing traditions and customs. In reality, sharia cannot operate fully as anything other than a complete alternative to our existing legal, political, and social systems. It is a revolution that this country does not want, and one that it must resist. Sharia is most definitely a threat to our democracy.

This is, of course, written under the assumption that not only are 4% of the population capable of overthrowing British law and substituting Sharia, but that this process is actually happening. They are often quoted as being opposed to Sharia Law courts operating in the UK. No such thing happens, we do, however, have Sharia reparation courts that deal with civil cases. We also have Beth Din reparation courts that cater to the UK’s Jewish population. These courts are rarely used because, surprise, surprise, they are atrociously unfair, outdated and mostly irrelevant.

United Shades of Britan has written a wonderful article addressing what steps would have to be undertaken in order to implement Sharia law in the UK: http://www.edlnews.co.uk/could-sharia-law-ever-become-uk-law

However, rather than listen to reason, or do some research into the topic, the EDL would rather assume that stunts like this (Daily Mail link, you have been warned)by extremist islamic groups (Specifically in this case Anjem Choudary and Muslims Against Crusades (MAC) an extremist group that can barely fill a minibus but serves as superb trollbait for the Mail and the EDL) somehow constitute actual changes in British law.

quote:

the stealthy incursion of halal meat into the food industry, all demonstrate that sharia is already creeping into our lives.

Classic and typical, almost deliberate, misunderstanding of what Halal is. Something that Pam Geller is also promoting in her ludicrous Butterball Turkey ban you might be familiar with. ( http://blog.chron.com/thestraightpath/2011/11/oh-the-irony-pamela-geller-and-the-stealth-halal-turkeys/ ) You’ll note the phrase “Stelth infiltration” remains the same.

Nothing has been done to your glass of water to make that Halal, for example. And Halal slaughter is no less, or more, humane than regular slaughter methods.

quote:

(3) PUBLIC EDUCATION: Ensuring That The Public Get A Balanced Picture Of Islam
A central part of the EDL’s mission is public education.

I do not even need to touch this, do I? It’s blatantly clear that the EDL itself is vastly ignorant and uneducated itself over those very things it is most concerned with. They are ignorant to the absolute extreme.

quote:

(4) RESPECTING TRADITION: Promoting The Traditions And Culture Of England While At The Same Time Being Open To Embrace The Best That Other Cultures Can Offer

This refers to varied “Christmas has been banned” nonsense that often finds its way into desperately ignorant, xenophobic culture. It has no basis in reality. From British flags being banned from positions of prominence, to Christmas Trees being renamed to ‘Holiday Trees’. A simple google search will inform you of the truth behind this nonsense.

quote:

(5) INTERNATIONAL OUTLOOK: Working In Solidarity With Others Around The World

This, at least, is true. The EDL does have international links... Specifically with Anders Breivik, the islamophobic murderer of 69 youths at the Oslo Labour Party youth camp.

This article is getting pretty long now, so I’ll draw it to a close just now with a link to a video of Tommy Robinson being interviewed on BBC’s Newsnight following the Oslo attacks.

If you watch one video on this article, please make it this one, it includes excellent information on the EDL and is a wonderful piece of work.

This post is far from complete. Laughing at the EDL is possible, despite their horrific nature and performances. Future posts will include developments relating to the EDL and the newly-formed British Freedom Party, as well as some things to giggle about.

Till then: Please enjoy:

http://youtu.be/wEDYtlS2YL8me

ETA:

Bryter posted:

Okay, honestly, I don't care for any of those mentioned, but this thread isn't going to go anywhere productive if you approach it from a "the EDL are loving hilarious" perspective. They're a sideshow with very limited support or power, and there are far more powerful entities currently doing far worse things than the EDL will ever be in a position to.

Laughing in particular isn't conducive to stopping them.

Cool. I get this. As much as I will push the idea that the basic EDL rhetoric is ludicrous and comical, as are their actions and statements... There is nothing funny about the Big John's video above.

Myself and others who engage in EDL-bashing, if you wanna call it that, see the EDL as a symptom of a larger anti-islamic trend in society in general. I figure by mocking the extreme we can have an effect on the moderates. Tommeh does a superb job of being the public face and voice of this movement, his rhetoric is as typical, ill-informed and extreme in stupidity and prejudice as you can get - yet somehow he is still the go-to guy for "What if the muslamics are being naughty" news stories.

I try to use humour as a defanging technique with my work against them. (I say "work") That's my angle.

KayTee fucked around with this message at 14:49 on May 7, 2012

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?

Highspeeddub posted:

You signed your post? :allears:

I did not know that this was a thing that was not done.

quote:

I am rather confused by the OP and not sure what you are driving at. Is one group favored by the other? Does one group enjoy more free speech than the other?

My angle is that the EDL are a diversive and destructive force. They are a seemingly popular movement that use the pretence of "Islam is bad" in order to justify their attempt to carry on the 60-70's notions of "paki bashing". They are violent racists who use a media-produced fear of Islam as a cover for their personal hatred of brown people.

I use the banning of MAC as a highlight to double-standards. MAC is banned. But their rhetoric (I have used that word more times in this thread than I have used it in speech this entire year, I'm sure) is no less divisive, racist or prejudiced. It was also about as accepted by society as a whole. Yet MAC is banned and the EDL has morphed into the British Freedom Party and are now an official political force.

I'm just highlighting what I perceive to be a double standard.

British Freedom Party Intro Post in 3... 2...

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?

This is the British Freedom Party

They are an off-shoot of the BNP and various other far-right political movements who have openly courted the EDL to boost their numbers and perceived popularity.

Quite why we need a political party openly supporting this is beyond me...

This is their "20-point Plan" (Absolutely not related to any form of bullet-point program used by other regimes. Nosiree)

To me, all this demonstrates is the utter political naivete of the BFP. It also demonstrates that the BF do not know the difference between a "plan" and a "wishlist"

Nevertheless, I was on their Facebook page the other day and I spotted this rather intriguing conversation.

It's a BFP Question Time! Glorious!

Rather fantastically, a Mr. Chris West went through the plan point-by-point expressing his concerns.

What caught my attention more, however, was the page admin's response.

Here it is... Along with a few comments from myself.

First off:

quote:

"Although you appear to be a leftist [...] I think you deserve a response"
Apparently normal procedure in BFP politics is to utterly ignore comments from political opponents. :/

quote:

"2, [...] EU Exit Strategies."
Give this a browse yourselves. I'll openly admit that I'm a complete newb when it comes to EU policies and this sort of thing. Pop your observations in the comments if you wish - I'm a working-class cis straight white male, everything everywhere is automatically catered to me (except for financial accessibility, that is) and nowhere in my life has a giant Euro flag jumped in to stop me from doing anything.

I just need some form of personal experience grounding before I can form a direct opinion on such a complex, vague issue.

quote:

"4) Would be fair if all UK citizens were banned from emigrating

Other countries' immigration policies are for them to decide,"
That's not the question being asked.

I'm also jumping ahead but point 20 is : “Do unto others as thou wouldst be done by.”

Perhaps it should be "Do unto others as thou wouldst be done by - unless you're an immigrant".

quote:

5) The deportation of seditious Islamics? - there goes the free speech (nice contradiction) although criminals should be sent packing or ideally treated see point 8

Read more carefully - "seditious dual nationality Islamists" - we're not stopping them from being seditious, merely insisting that they do it in the other country.
I don't even need to comment, really do I? "We're not denying their right to free speech, but if they're a filthy mongrel they'll have to have their free speech somewhere else"

Amazing...

Now on to what is probably my favourite one: ISLAMISATION! 

quote:

In Whitechapel Road, Tower Hamlets, all the restaurants are halal, and the bookshops Islamic. The banks (even Lloyds TSB) purvey Islamic bank accounts. There are unofficial sharia courts and women wearing burqas. Small mosques are proliferating, and the main East London mosque towers over the surrounding cityscape. On Friday, nobody - Muslim, Jew, Christian or atheist - can escape the call to prayer that blasts out from dozens of loudspeakers. Does that qualify as Islamisation? It's a pattern that is being repeated in many cities across the UK (though reportedly not in yours, lucky for you).
Now... Islamisation is, supposedly, the method by which a country is turned Muslim. What I'm seeing here is an example of areas with a high Muslim population (Bearing in mind that they make up a mighty 4% of the population) being catered to by the area in which they live.

That's not Islamisation - that's just being nice. My friend is gluten intolerant. His house is filled with gluten-free products and he buys from gluten free shops. I do not accuse him of being a promoter of Anti-glutenisation.

Restaurants are halal because Muslims would rather eat halal food, and resteraunts want to make money off them.

Islamic bank accounts are usually nothing more serious than an account without an overdraft. I have one. They are marketed as Islamic because the bank wants to court Muslim customers in an area with a high Muslim population. Unofficial Sharia courts are not legally binding and will mostly deal with civil matters anyway - (My Dad and my neighbour came to an agreement over their parking arrangements - this is not an "unofficial Parking court")

quote:

Mosques 'tower over the cityscape'
- I hate the Gherkin but I wouldn't make it a political point to get my knickers in a twist over it.

quote:

"On Friday, nobody - Muslim, Jew, Christian or atheist - can escape the call to prayer that blasts out from dozens of loudspeakers."
- And the church bells in my village disturb my lie-ins every freaking Sunday - It's ONE day! Get over it.

quote:

Does that qualify as Islamisation?
If it does it speaks more over your intolerance, ignorance and prejudice than it does of a dramatic, enforced religio-cultural  shift.

quote:

8) Crime and severity of punishment does not go hand in hand. See the US as an example. Criminals need treatment, like an illness. Throwing people in prison costs society financially, breaks up families and causes repeat crime. Treatment of prisoners -Iceland as an example as some of the lowest crime rates in the world.

Not true, my brother-in-law once got mugged in Iceland, next to the frozen pies section.
Wow...

Amazing - Reply to a serious comment over the efficiency (or lack thereof) of the criminal justice system and the prison service in general with a poo poo joke.

TRULY THIS IS A POLITICAL PARTY OF THE FUTURE! 

quote:

The only hope for long-term peace and stability in Britain is a common culture and a shared set of values.
Under the British Freedom Party you will have the right to conform.

quote:

Wherever in the world incompatible cultures have lived in the same space they have ended up with conflict and bloodshed. We want to prevent that happening here.
Well, you're a bit too loving late, aren't you? Also I'd challenge you to point out a single utopian society in this world where everyone is the same and no one had a big old ruck over anything.

Seriously, the BFP really need to join reality on this point. Maybe I'm biased because I loving love multiculturalism. It's given me Tikka Masala, lasagne, Reggae-Reggae Sauce, chillie on carne, Rammstein, Rap, Reggae Reggae Music and more.

You honestly think the world would be better off without this stuff?

quote:

14) How do you determine who should have aid and who shouldn't?

Well you can...
Woah there pilgrim!

What do you mean "Well you could..." Why are you guessing? Doesn't the party not already have these measuring criteria?

Huh, if this wasn't an actual political party I might assume that you've got your knickers in a twist over a popular point of contention and just screamed out "we must do something about this" as a way to ride the coattails of a popularist ideal without actually putting any thought into it..

But I'm sure that's not the case!

Anyway, continue with your guesswork. Who knows? It might actually become policy.

quote:

apply criteria such as: i. Is the country in question already wealthy as evidenced by, e.g. a space programme or thousands of millionaires?; ii. Is the country so corrupt that aid money is likely to end up in the pockets of crooked bureaucrats or criminals?; iii. Would we be able to help the country better by sharing our expertise in farming, industry and so on instead of throwing cash at them?
So - If a government is spending ludicrous amounts of money on it's richest people, and investing in extravagant, expensive projects whilst neglecting their populace, we should withdraw our aid, thereby almost certanly dooming that neglected populace to starvation, further exploitation, further neglect and all the happy packages that come along with it?

Wow... I know you're into the whole biblical justice thing (Do unto others etc). I've heard of "turn the other cheek" but I can't remember a bible passage teaching one to "turn the blind eye"

quote:

We want to ban [drugs] and to ensure that the ban is properly enforced.
Erm... Aren't they already illegal?

quote:

20)Why bring religion into this?? Better rule for the Atheists - ' Don't be a dick ' humans don't need the bible to tell them whats right and wrong. If you think your being a dick, generally you are.

"Do unto others as thou wouldst be done by" is a nicer way of saying "Don't be a dick."
You'll note that Chris's point was to avoid bringing religion into politics. That's why he was objecting to the bible passage. After all, according to Leviticus I should have been stoned to death many many times over in my lifetime. The bible is a god-awful (hurr) book to be basing your laws on, because of all the interpretation going on. Don't forget, this is the same argument your new friends constantly spew over the Koran.

Well... There you have it. You'll note that Chris's comments on points 1, 3, 11, 12, 13, 15 and 16 are all ignored. Regardless of the rather significant and important points made in them.

But, to be honest, they don't need to be addressed, do they? You now know what the BFP are all about...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pele5vptVgc

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?

Bryter posted:

It's just finance that follows Sharia law. Sharia is an expansive legal system, it's not the Islamic Ten Commandments it's sometimes portrayed as.

namesake posted:

It's a real thing and it's actually pretty cool.

Islam forbids the collection of interest on money (usury) as well as investment in non-halal industries so it developed its own system to allow money to be lend to people such as joint purchases by the bank and the 'borrower', bank accounts which don't pay interest, etc.

Of course it doesn't really exist any more and is not a threat to anything anyway.

Nine times out of ten, it's a bank account that does not offer an overdraft.

That's about it.

Most of the BFP's rage against "sharia bank accounts" comes from articles like this:

http://tinyurl.com/kvurqd - Daily Mail. It needs a warning.

Here's a breakdown.

quote:

An overdraft? That'll be £200 at Lloyds TSB (but only £15 if you're a Muslim)

Wow! Sounds like Lloyds TSB are offering brown people a better deal on their bank accounts! It's a two teir system! Muslims get preferential treatment everywhere!

quote:

Many Lloyds TSB customers are being hit with charges of up to £200 a month if they go into the red - while Muslims who use the bank are only being charged £15.

Affirms my assumption of the headline! What the gently caress is up with giving Muslims preferential treatment? They're barely 4% of the population!

quote:

The Islamic account was set up by the high street bank to attract Muslim customers by allowing them to keep faithful to their religion.

Sharia law does not permit the payment of interest so the 'typical' Islamic account at Lloyds TSB has been set up without an overdraft facility.

*Incoherent Daily Mail Foaming*

quote:

However, on some Islamic accounts such a payment is authorised and an 'unplanned overdraft fee' of £15 is then levied.

The bank says this is a management fee, not a payment of interest, so does not contradict Sharia law.

Meanwhile, customers with standard current accounts who go into the red by at least £100 without authorisation are hit with an 'unplanned overdraft fee' of £20 a day for a maximum of ten days. This could mean a customer has to pay £200 in one month.

So if I, Joe Taxpayer, exceed my overdraft - a sort of loan-buffer agreed with me and my bank - I get charged. But if a filthy MUSLIM goes over his bank account limit - which does not have an overdraft - His payment is... refused.. and he is charged.. £15.

Huh...

quote:

The Islamic account is available to all customers at Lloyds TSB. In theory, anyone who does not need a permanent overdraft facility could switch to this account to avoid being hit by interest charges for going into the red.

So you don't even need to be a Muslim in order to have one of these accounts.

In fact this looks suspiciously like a no-frills account that his been labeled "Sharia compliant" in order to appeal to Muslim customers and has no impact on people who have accounts with overdrafts who are warned that abuse of this optional facility comes with charges.

quote:

In the past few years, millions of customers at all the major high street banks have demanded the return of money which has been taken from their account in various forms of bank charges

Which has nothing to do with religion and everything to do with exploitation of regular people baffled by banker-speak.

quote:

A Lloyds TSB spokesman said: 'The Islamic current account is for customers who cannot receive credit or debit interest due to their religious beliefs.

'All of our Islamic accounts comply with Islamic law and are available to anyone regardless of background or faith.

Which kinda supports the assumption I made above. So Muslims are NOT getting preferential treatment, The Daily Mail is simply comparing to utterly different bank accounts and trying to kick up a fuss over Muslims.

Also I hate the mail for it's website programming that inserts a link to the article every time you copy/paste a quote from it. :/

This is what I mean about an Islamophobic media/culture fuelling the braindead racist minions of the EDL. Deliberately misinformative and diversive reporting.

KayTee fucked around with this message at 16:06 on May 7, 2012

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?
How about I tell you about the time that EDL Leader Tommy Robinson tried to evade the police by dressing up an an orthodox Jewish Rabbi?

This happened at their main event demo in the London borough of Tower Hamlets in 2011, but the buildup and the... "reasoning" for it began a few months earlier at their demo in Blackburn.

This happened at Blackburn:

The EDL - taking a break from protecting the UK from Muslamic Ray Guns, Halal KFC meals, burkas and optional, non-statutory Sharia courts - decided to base it's Blackburn demo almost entirely around "peacefully protesting" against "Unite Against Fascism" ( http://uaf.org.uk/ )a protest movement who routinely turn out to oppose EDL marches.

Well, the police were on to them and cornered the EDL in a car park.

Here is the EDL defending Britain.

As you can see, the crowd is perfectly prepared for a peaceful protest.

Well, robbed of the ability to fight the UAF. The EDL turned on each other.

Tommy called out several members as "grasses", "Nazis" and "Traitors" pointing them out in the middle of a baying Sniff & Stella fuelled crowd... You can imagine what happened. Here's his speech

Of course there are no real Nazis in the EDL. This fellow is just waving to a friend, or hailing - oops - I mean calling a taxi.

The banners depicting the 14 Words that can be seen briefly in the videos, are also not racist in any way.

Leaving the event also went peacefully

In the scuffle, Tommy headbutted someone. He was subsequently arrested, charged and found guilty of common assault.

He was given the ASBO (Anti-Social Behaviour Order - a sort of restraining order) conditions that he refrain from attending any further EDL demos.

Also: Local Newspaper coverage.

Tommy wasn't having that! He's got to go to his demos and tell all his followers again about how Muslims are refusing to integrate into society, being criminals and ignoring British law!

Enter: Roberta Moore.

quote:

“We are not anti-Muslim,” Moore emphasizes. “We are anti-Islam, as everyone should be. Islam is not a religion, but a cult. It has all the features of a cult, like the religions of Jim Jones and David Koresh. It’s exactly the same. But people don’t understand that.”

Roberta Moore is a supporter of Victor Vancier whom you might know as the leader of the Jewish Task Force. He was arrested and convicted for his role in a series of terrorist bombings.

This relationship alone has made her bit of a pariah in Jewish activist circles.

For an even more in-depth breakdown on Ms. Moore, please read this, it is rather enlightning not just on Moore’s views and politics, but also on the internal workings of the EDL.

Roberta, using her position as Admin of the EDL's Jewish Division Facebook page as inspiration, came up with this:

Superb.

This happened at the EDL's Tower Hamlets Demo.

Tower Hamlets is a predominately Muslim borough of London. The situation was deemed so volatile that home secretary Teresa May outright banned the march. The EDL, after wandering through Kings Cross, were eventually pinned in a car park at Aldgate.

There, Rabbi Benjamin Kiddimon gave a speech.

quote:

”EVERY SINGLE MUSLIM watching this on Youtube, on 7/7 you got away with killing and mainiming British citizens, you got away with it. You had better underestand that we have built a network from one end of this country to the other end, and we will not tolerate it, and the Islamic community will feel the full force of the English Defence League if we see any of our citizens killed, maimed or hurt on British soil ever again."

Yeah... Rabbi Benjamin Kiddimon, just blamed every single muslim in the UK for the horrific 7/7 attacks in London

Suprisingly enough, Rabbi Kiddimon was arrested by the cops shortly afterwards.

Following his arrest Tommy Robinson declared himself a political prisoner, and went on hunger strike as a protest against his unlawful incarceration.

I’ll repeat that.

Following his arrest Tommy Robinson declared himself a political prisoner, and went on hunger strike as a protest against his unlawful incarceration.

From Wikipedia:

quote:

a political prisoner is ‘someone who is in prison because they have opposed or criticized the government of their own country’.

For the record, Tommy Robinson was found guilty of common assault and was given an ASBO. He then broke the conditions of that ASBO while simultaneously giving what is defined under UK law as a ‘Hate Speech’ – In contradiction of one of more of the Public Order At 1986, the Racial and Religous Hatred act 2006, the Criminal Justice and Immigration act 2008, and the Criminal Justice and Public Order Act 1996 .

Regardless, he began a hunger strike

He was released, once again, on police bail, four days later, amidst a wealth of EDL Facebook postings commending him on his hunger strike.

According to a source at the prison, however, Tommy’s strike lasted no longer than 24 hours and, when it was finally ‘broken’ on his release, Tommy celebrated with a meal at Nandos... A famously Halal food outlet.

KayTee fucked around with this message at 09:45 on May 8, 2012

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?

Mr Cuddles posted:

I am sure they would be much more popular as a movement if a single one of them was able to spell correctly, or write or say anything without coming across as incredibly ignorant, reactionary and hateful.

Chocolate Teapot posted:

Without being able to cite a source at this time, I'm pretty sure that they're funded by a millionaire.

Alan Lake

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?

MotoMind posted:

It would have been nice if the OP used the words "English Defence League" to make the topic more accessible to foreign audiences.

Yeah... I'm beginning to regret the thread title...

I was thinking last night about this thread. It's all very well me popping up every day and telling you what the EDL have done and what gigantic nobheads they are...

Take this story for example, which is one of my favourite EDL stories.

quote:

Seventy-eight supporters of the English Defence Leage have recently filed claims for whiplash-related injuries during a coach crash.

[...]

Unfortunately the vehicle involved in the accident has only 57 seats, according to the coach firm. Moreover there were only 25 passengers on the bus at the time of the accident. Gateshead-based Caris Coaches is now considering legal action for fraud,

[...]

When asked how many could have received their injuries, Mr Caris stated that the whiplash-like injuries could have easily been sustained at the rally they were attending. The spokeswoman added that since the rally ended with violent clashes with the authorities, the EDL supporters could have been injured if they had been involved with the violence with the police in Preston.

The driver of the coach expressed amazement at how any of the passengers were injured in last month’s crach. Cristopher Cartwright stated that there was barely a scratch on the coach’s back corner.

But really if you wanted that you could just subscribe to EDL News

(It's a good site. Their grammar error and typo ratio is a bit high, I'm aware of the irony, thanks, and they do fire the odd blank; but their "Derek Fender Corner" is hilarious and their info is usually top-notch if not better.)

But this thread is sitting in a debate-focused forum, right?

Here's one thing that I've been struggling with and that I'd love to hear some other opinions on. I mentioned it in my first post, but only in passing - Here's a more in-depth argument:

Should the EDL be banned?

For the longest time I argued, along with this Universsity of Northampton's Radicalism and New Media Research Group's research that banning the EDL is ineffective and wrong.

They have far more in-depth reasoning for this recommendation, I'm simply coming from my "everyone has the right to be a tosser in public" angle.

But since then... Things happened that have changed my mind. I and many others now call for the EDL to be banned outright. (And I suspect that Tommy is aware that this could happen, hence his half-merging of the EDL into the British Freedom Party.)

I'll try and be brief.

I fail at this

With the outright banning of MAC, the EDL are at a loose end. With no overtly extremist Muslim group to troll them into existence, the EDL spend most of the end of last year just wandering around, trying to find something to get their knickers in a twist about. Most of this involved greif tourism that served to cause more problems than it was supposed to solve.

Speaking of solving stuff, what do you suppose getting pissed, standing in a car park and being abusive to brown people actually does in the context of this attack?

Police were already investigating and the attack was condemned in both regional and national media and by spokespersons of all sides - including an "Asian community spokesperson" visiting Danny Stringer's family personally and pledging the communities support? Seems to me that all it did was run up a huge police bill in an area that had already seen four EDL marches. Manchester's call to have the march banned was rejected. The place is so fed up and desperate to keep the EDL away it is reaching for every straw it can think of, no matter how flimsy, to encourage them to bugger off somewhere else

What got me, however, involved this recently-closed case

The EDL have been involved with this case since it started. They immediately called for a "demo" outside the court.

Answer me this: What are they demonstrating about?

Seems to me that the fact that the court case exists proves that criminals are being rounded up. That the acts these people were commuting are not tolerated by society and that they are being dealt with in accordance with the law.

Why does the case need to be protested at? And why this case, and not on of the several others that are occouring around the country?

And why did the EDL think that attacking two brown people outside the courthouse was a good idea?

The attack happened because the protesters assumed that the men were defendants. Because defendants in these sort of cases are often allowed to stand around outside the building having a fag break while their case is being heard.

They weren't defendants, of course, they were barristers. The incident caused the case to be adjourned. Delaying the process of justice and causing more pain and anguish to the victims. (Who, by the way, were utterly ignored by EDL protesters, except when it was convenient for them to point out that they were (predominantly) white)

And that's not all.

Because the EDL have so much respect for British Law, they decided that they should trash a takeaway.

quote:

After officers dispersed the group from Market Street some youths shouted "EDL" - English Defence League - as they left, according to the Press Association.

The EDL said on its official Twitter account that it had not been involved in the events in Heywood but praised the youths.

The takeaway was thought to belong to one of the defendants.

It did not.

It gets worse.

quote:

Mr Griffin [Head of the BNP] posted a comment on his Twitter account which read: ''News flash. Seven of the Muslim paedophile rapists found guilty in Liverpool.''

Mr Griffin later backtracked on Twitter when he was told that the jury had not yet officially returned any verdicts.

But the tweet led to eight defence counsel calling on Judge Gerald Clifton to discharge the jury before it delivered verdicts after investigations revealed Griffin's comment to be a ''100% accurate'' reflection of its deliberations so far.

A common insult thrown at me and others by EDL types is that we are "pedo-supporters". Because by opposing the EDL and their protests we must be in favour of Al-loving-Qaeda. This is the quality of their political sophistication. "With us or against us". When we oppose the EDL we are supporting the right for paedophiles and child abusers to do what they do.

Seems to me that it is the EDL who are being the effective "pedo Supporters". Every action they have taken since this trial started has seemed to be designed to cause the case to collapse.

This is one example. One of the bigger and more impactful ones, but it is not alone.

The EDL should be banned. They do not qualify to the right for peaceful protest, because they do neither. They are patently not peaceful and they have nothing to protest about.

They do not use the right for peaceful protest to present a message, they abuse it in order to have gigantic piss-ups, and perform acts of violence, abuse and racism in a safe, police-escorted space. While simultaneously creating obscene policing bills, intimidating local people and putting financial strain on communities by damaging public property, leaving trails of vomit, beer cans, kebabs and badly-made banners lying around and forcing local businesses to loose trade.

The only reason I can think of that the EDL are allowed to march is keeping to our value of free speech. I'd argue that this is not an issue of free speech, this is an issue of abuse of our system.

Wow... There's a long and foamy post. But, I hope I'm fulfilling the "debate" criteria now.

*signs off*

[edit] *signs back on*

Not content with drat near wrecking the case while it was ongoing. The BNP are "protesting" outside the court at Rochdale while sentencing is happening.

HnH reports several arrests so far.

KayTee fucked around with this message at 14:05 on May 9, 2012

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?

VideoTapir posted:

I think this is all fascinating/disturbing, but before I clicked on it I thought maybe it had something to do with netbooks.

*sigh* aw, gawdammit.

[edit] Is it worth me contacting a mod asking for a title change?

duck monster & Serotonin posted:

BNP, White Defence League, National Labour Party, National Socialist Party, British Movement, Racial Preservation Society, National Front, Blood and honor, the Anticommunist Commandos, The National Socialist Group, Nov 19, Combat 18.

I figure Nationalism is a basically tribal ethos, and attracts selfish, clique-y, us-and-them types. It's these inflated egos, all of whom want to command their own army forcing their inability to work together for much longer than a few months, that is one of the far-right's most crippling and funny weaknesses.

The EDL is no stranger to this. Dispute their "Divisional" setup, with each city, town or group of loners in a pub, creating their own divisions (much like football clubs, funny that, eh?) the EDL remained mostly together up until the Blackburn demo I mentioned - Where Tommy called out several "higher ups" and called them out as traitors, nazis and whatever.

Since then the EDL has spawned the NWI/NEI (North West/North East Infidels), The Casuals, March For England, Cxf & The Real CxF (Combined Ex Forces - who are loving hilarious I'll put a post together about them eventually) and at least a few others, many of whom may only exist on Facebook.

The BNP has also fractured since Nick Griffin's last leadership election (witch was as bent as a £3 note) Forming the British Peoples Party (Which I'm not sure even exists any more EDIT: It Does)and the British Freedom Party, among with a bunch of independents.

In short: SPLITTERS!

(And yes, I know the JPF/PFJ sketch was supposed to poke fun at petty factionalism on the left, but seriously - our infighting has nothing on the far right!)

KayTee fucked around with this message at 14:12 on May 9, 2012

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?

Strif-ah Ker-not posted:

There is no way to take them seriously when their leader does stupid stuff like this.

Tommy Robinson is a man who thought that dressing up as a Rabbi was an effective way to avoid the police.

He is the kind of man who, while knowing he was being followed by a documentary film crew, got drunk, threw rocks at police and later believed that the resulting documentary would portray him and the EDL in a positive light.

He is a man who, when being interviewed on the BBC world service, not a few days after being on the BBC's "Big Question" TV show, claimed that his free speech was being stifled.

He is a man who, when challenged over the violent behaviour of the EDL responded by pulling the "Mohammad was a pedo" line. (5.02)and thought this was how people debate.

In the same interview he claims that there have been 18,000 terrorist attacks since 9/11. Do the math, that's about 4-5 terrorist attacks per day for the last decade. And then put yourself in Tommeh's limited mindset - he almost certainly means Islamic terrorist attacks only.

Also in that interview he dismisses the work by international journalist Matt Carr by saying that Matt didn't grow up ion Luton, and so has no idea of how the world works (12.00-ish)

In short: He is a loving idiot.

The story you mention has been bouncing around the Antifa Facebook pages and groups all this morning. I do not doubt it happened. I do doubt that whatever meeting he disrupted had anything to do with the EDL - It was probably some WI coffee morning, no EDL or counter-jihad, as they call themselves, related blog will give us the info of where, when or against whom this action occored.

[EDIT: One EDL source finally came forward LOL-ing at us for not knowing where the stunt happened - Apparently it was some meeting set up by the BFI (British Film Institute). :confused: According to Tommeh's twitter feed later, however, the stunt was filmed and will form part of a self-produced documentary. I'm sure it'll all become clear upon that thing's release.]

You're right. They are utterly comical.

But they are capable of Stuff like this Assaulting a pensioner because the old fella had the audacity to belong to the National Union of Teachers, his local pensioners forum and to hold Anti-EDL views.

KayTee fucked around with this message at 12:33 on May 14, 2012

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?

Pasco posted:

Bingo. UKIP are *nudge-and-a-wink* fascists who suck up a lot of the big-money, halfway capable, 'respectable' right-wingers.

BNP in Blazers.

Also: I am working on a big post about the CxF (They've reappeared just today and are taking credit for the Rochdale convictions) bit I'm posting mostly to share this.

Vogons got nothing on this.

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?
If you are interested in more EDL poetry you can visit here: http://edl-lit-div.tumblr.com/

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?
CxF post still in the works. (I'm actually having a bit of trouble - mostly that there's really not much to them: They're Walts, they're racist, they're incompetent and theirs barely enough of them to fill a Mini. Also the screenies I want are buried in the archives of Facebook group's godawful photo hosting system and I'm getting pissed off. Still, I've started so I'll finish)

Posting, however to share the latest brainfart from the British Freedom Party, official political voice of the EDL.

Headlines from the UK in the year 2030

I cannot stress enough that they actually believe this poo poo

quote:

Indigenous minorities still trying to have English recognised as the UK’s third language.

Children from two-parent, married, heterosexual families bullied in schools for being ‘different’. Tolerance urged.

Manchester schoolgirl expelled for not wearing a Burqa: Sharia law must be enforced.

Ozone created by electric cars now killing millions.

Japanese announce that they will no longer consume whale meat as whales are now extinct and the scientific research fleet is unemployed. UK Government has told the Japanese that grey squirrels taste like whale meat.

Britain now has ten Universities of Political Correctness. Professor E. Goldstein of LSPC says there is still a long way to go in the fight to stop people saying what they think.

Britain’s deficit £10 trillion and rising. Government declares return to surplus in 100 years which is 300 years ahead of time. Prime Minister Mohammed Yousuf claims increased growth through more immigration is the secret to success.

Baby conceived naturally! Scientists stumped.

Iran still quarantined. Physicists estimate it will take at least ten more years before radioactivity decreases to safe levels.

France pleads for global help after being taken over by Islamic countries. No other country volunteers to help the beleaguered nation.

Jose Manuel Rodrigez Bush says he will run for second term as US President in 2032.

Post Office raises price of stamps to £18 and reduces mail delivery to Wednesdays only.

After a ten-year £75.8 billion study commissioned by the Labour Party, scientists prove diet and exercise are the keys to weight loss.

Average weight of a British male drops to 18 stone.

Supreme Court rules punishment of criminals violates their civil and human rights. Victims to be held partly responsible for crime.

Average height of professional basketball players is now nine feet, seven inches.

New law requires that all nail clippers, screwdrivers, fly swatters and rolled-up newspapers must be registered by January 2035 as lethal weapons.

Inland Revenue sets lowest tax rate in decades at 75 per cent.

Bradford won this year’s FA cup final beating the Hindu Hornets 4-1.

While many are just a standard islamophobic/the left are ruining it/political correctness gawn mahd/elf 'n safty affair, some are just... Wha...?

quote:

Average height of professional basketball players is now nine feet, seven inches.

Just where the gently caress is this coming from?

e: It is not an official BFP product. It is crossposted from Barenakedislam. Because the BFP, as an official political party, are all about sharing material from known hate sites.

KayTee fucked around with this message at 20:27 on May 13, 2012

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad posted:

Awkward.

Oh, Tommeh.

Edit:

Strif-ah Ker-not posted:

*Sigh* :allears:

Breaking out the "Mohammad is a pedo" is Tommeh's default response regardless of the situation. Seriously.

"Being rude to a girl on the internet"

*Mohammad is a pedo*

"The EDL behave violently in public"

*Mohammad was a Pedo*

For the record - Aisha was somewhere between 6-8 when she was bethrothed to Mohammad (When he was in his 20's BTW, not when he was 58/68 as Tommeh claims in the above video clip - He died in his early 60's) This young age is specified to ensure Aisha's virginity. The prophet deserved a virgin bride.

Some texts claim that the marrage was consumated a few years after, making Aisha between the ages of 9-11. In 600 CE, that was the norm. The Virgin Mary wouldn't have been much older than 12. Infact modern age of concent laws, putting the average at 16 are barely 100 years old.

But this is Tommeh we're dealing with - so observing that age of consent laws were different 1400 years ago is perfectly reasonable grounds to state that the Koran advocates sexual abuse of children. Because contextual thinking is for libtards and commies.

KayTee fucked around with this message at 18:28 on May 15, 2012

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?

Augure posted:

Notice how I quoted the bit about "Ages 9-11" being the norm? That's decidedly pre-pubescent and was not the norm for a consummated marriage in 600 CE, 0 CE, or indeed ever.

You're right.

I shouldn't have made a definitive statement there. I have no information on the sexual practices of people over 1000 years ago and should not, and cannot, have made the assumption that it was "the norm". You're quite right to call me out on that one.

However, I don't believe that sexual activity or marriage with very young children was rare back then. Hell - it happens today.

Add to that the fact that girls are capable of carrying a child full term when barely 11 years old (I can't BELIEVE I'm linking to a Daily Mail article to support me) - as well as a (again, presumed but I'd hope you'll agree), quite likely desire to have as many kids as possible as fast as possible, and it seems to me you have the groundwork set up, in all cultures, for sexually active pre-pubescent girls.

While I'm at it I'll also point out that I was wrong about the Virgin Mary too... It seems she was, specifically, 14 when married to Joseph.

New Advent, Catholic Encyclopedia posted:

When she was fourteen, the high priest wished to send her home for marriage. Mary reminded him of her vow of virginity, and in his embarrassment the high priest consulted the Lord. Then he called all the young men of the family of David, and promised Mary in marriage to him whose rod should sprout and become the resting place of the Holy Ghost in form of a dove. It was Joseph who was privileged in this extraordinary way.

New Advent states that this passage is from "Apocryphal" writings, and handily sends me to an antry tellimg me what Apocryphal writings are, but deosn't tell me which apocriphal writings has Joeseph's rod doing odd things. Seriously, what the hell is going on there?

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?
Welp, we knew they'd go there eventually...

STILL working on CXF.

Possible excuses:

1, I now have Netflix.
2, Am strangely addicted to Dynasty Warriors Gundam 3
3, Seriously making Jobseeking progress - may actually have found someone to hire me.
4, The CxF are really dumb. Trying to write the thing and making it sound liek I'm not making it all up is difficult.
5, Facebook photo albums gently caress YOU!
6, Seriously - I am a tragic procrastinator.

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?
Sorry for the long hiatus - IRL drama.

Also, I'm sorry for the non-appearance of the CxF article. In its place here's most of what I'd done, just stung together. The more I worked on it the more I realised that the useless little idiots just arn't worth all the work I was putting into them.

Here they are.

This might be them also For whatever reason they have both .com and .co.uk sites. They only seem to use one of them. See if you can guess which one it is.

In the mean time here is their logo.

Look at that logo. LOOK AT IT! Screw photoshop! Real patriots use PaintSPA!

This is them. All of them.

Proud patriots, scrawling over the Union Flag with a felt-tip pen, framing their terrifying visage intended to strike fear into muslamic fundimentaloids and UAF pedo-supporting soapdogers with a child's plastic playhouse and furniture.

And that's about all they're worth.

Believe it or not - They do want people to take them seriously, and have thus set themselves up as a kind of PMC courtesy of Poundland. Offering, and I quote:

quote:

the best self defence/anti terrorist training in the world

They even set themselves up as an official company, and can still be found with a quick Google search, via several company registry websites.

Well actually, You'd have to Google for the "Combinned Ex Services" for that, because when they registered, they spelled their own name wrong.

Intel Limited, indeed.

Anyway, on to the EDL - If you follow Tommeh on Twitter, you might remember this tweet:

I bring this up because in the run-up to their last demo in Rochdale the EDL's Football hooligan Division the Casuals felt the need to protect their freedom of speech by threatening journalists and photographers.

Story here

quote:

Right due to certain trouble making incidents, and incidents of Left wing journalists posting pics theyve taken at or around demos of individuals, with messages asking "who is this fascist girl help us identify her" and the continuous online attempts to identify people attending EDL and other events with the intention of harassing them and causing them personal problems, at ROCHDALE, no press or photographers are welcome unless invited by us. Any media not accompanied by officials from EDL are to be treated as hostile. This is announced after consultation with various firms.

Not invited by EDL leadership? We cannot guarantee your safety at this demo. Sorry for any inconvenience.

Zoe

Of course, the NUJ responded swiftly, telling the EDL and Casuals exactly where they could stick their fascist tactics.

quote:

Urgent notice for NUJ members covering the EDL demonstration in Rochdale on Saturday, June 9

The NUJ has demanded that journalists be allowed to do their job without being harassed or threatened during the demonstration organised by the English Defence League on Saturday 9 June in Rochdale.

On its website The Casuals United group has said: "Any media not accompanied by officials from EDL are to be treated as hostile. This is announced after consultation with various firms. Not invited by EDL leadership? We cannot guarantee your safety at this demo. Sorry for any inconvenience." The group is also targeting named journalists on the site.

Journalists should be free to do their work without such intimidation. These threats from members of the far right are designed to silence the media and stop NUJ members showing the true nature of the protests and protestors.

Michelle Stanistreet, NUJ general secretary said: "The atmosphere of menace and violence during far-right events create a serious threat to working journalists seeking to report on their activities. Attempts to prevent journalists working constitute a serious attack on press freedom and individual liberty which must not be tolerated. The threats being made to journalists are not acceptable and show these people up as the thugs they are."

EDL News, SLATEDL (Still Laughing at the EDL - a Facebook page) and Exposing Racism and Intolerance Online (another Facebook group) all predicted the cries of "They're not EDL" that usually follow such foot/mouth events, and made sure to point out comments like this:

From recognised EDL official sources.

All this pretty much guaranteed that this demo would be one of the better covered and photographed events in recent memory. And it kinda was. But barely anything out of the ordinary happened.

Almost 400 people turned up at Rochdale eventually. And Tommeh thought this was a good idea:

Yup - that's him with a Koran and a lighter.

It's not an oversized comedy lighter either. He's genuinely that tiny.

He tried to burn it but the blasphemous book refused to catch. While this was going on the EDL's only "Muslim" member, Abdul, offered to burn the book himself. Abdul, in the planinest PC language, is not of adult equivalency, and his frequent exploitation and grooming by the EDL never ceases to turn my stomach.

Aside from trying to burn the book like a good Nazi, Tommeh jumped to his other piece of current grief tourism and exploitation: Paedophilia. I order to address this, Tommeh included such gems in his speech as:

quote:

“Eighty percent of Muslim paedophile grooming cases are by Muslims. Eighty percent.”

and

quote:

“Any young girl should be able to walk the streets naked without men targeting them to pass them round as sexual exploitation.”

Lovely.

There were 11 arrests at the demo

There were some interesting smear campaign tactics in the run up too - Mostly aimed at Antifa groups such as the UAF. Who, in the EDL's eyes, are literally the Cobra to their G.I. Joe.

At a previous demo it was floated around that a child had been hit by a bottle thrown by a UAF pedo-supporter. You'd have thought that this sort of incident would have caused an immediate press backlash against UAF, as well as recorded arrests, statements by UAF higher-ups and hospital admission records. Nothing of the sort arose. Then other questions started being asked like: why was a child brought along to a racist piss-up? And why, when a photo did emerge, was the child so ludicrously photogenic, and how come the picture was so professionally lit and composed?

No doubt that this WAS the little girl who was hit by a bottle in Brighton. No doubt at all. Absolutely 100% genuine. This little girl was glassed by UAF and this was a spontaneous picture of her being bandaged up, taken, presumably, by parents of guardians. Right?

Definitely not a model posing for an article for EACF - The Epilepsy Association of Central Florida

Sooo. That's that. Next demo is planned for Dewsbury, and then Bristol. In Bristol almost 1,200 Antifacist activists have already confirmed their attendance.

Also - Please spare the newbie and tell me how I go about a thread-name change? If I can do it myself, I can't figure out how - Do I just PM a mod? Any suggestions for a new title also welcomed!

KayTee fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Jun 11, 2012

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?

Pope Guilty posted:

One thing you learn very quickly if you have any interest in fascist movements is that five nines of fascists are loving idiots even allowing for their idiotic beliefs.

duck monster posted:

Intensely so.

This is easily one of the most frustrating things about Tommy Robinson himself. Again, to go all PC - He's just not very bright.

To not be PC - he is a loving moron.

Reasoning with him, or debating him is simply impossible because he lacks the ability to comprehend the situations he's in or the complexities of the topics he's talking about. As you can see with the previous links to interviews I've provided as well as this recent one on VoxAfrica (It's a good hour long, so make yourself a brew if you're going to sit through it.)

♫ One of these things is not like the others...

And AGAIN he comes out with the very same points he's made in every other interview - AGAIN regardless of accuracy or relevance - while he also plays down or flat-out ignores anything that contradicts or even challenges his worldview.

Here's some soundbytes:

quote:

Islamic extremism has ‘got more funding from Saudi Arabia’

quote:

‘There is a problem in their [Islamic] ideology… It’s not integrating, it’s not working in Europe, it’s not working in Britain’

Except it is. Also, criticising others for not integrating into society is pretty loving rich coming from someone with no less than five convictions and a football ban.

quote:

I don’t see Christians, Sikhs or Hindus blowing things up worldwide on a daily basis

This is one of my favourites. The "You don't see Christians doing this" often comes up...

Tommy is an Irish immigrant. You'd think he'd know better, wouldn't you?

quote:

‘We’ve [the EDL] killed no-one, we’ve attacked no-one…’

Professional EDL-watchers Hazel Zebulon and Drew Hunter update This document constantly.

It's especially frustrating when they latch on to things like the Rochdale Paedophile ring case, where it has been admitted and accepted that there is a problem with Asian community males exploiting white girls. But this is a problem that needs to be tackled through education and integration from all communities and it is not helped, and actively exasperated (by making the Asian community feel more isolated and unwelcome) by the EDL's actions.

[[ETA]]

Fandyien posted:

Every once in awhile I see a news story on the BBC about someone getting arrested for being explicitly racist in public, or using slurs or something. A few weeks ago I think someone was arrested for drunkenly insulting a bunch of subway passengers, or something.

Emma West of "My Tram Experience" fame.

The EDL have even produced badges proclaiming that she "was right", and plan to protest while her court case is going on. Because of freedom of speech.

Link

quote:

If that's generally illegal, how does the EDL get away with what they do? Is it just dogwhistle stuff or what?

Good loving question. It's on that the more optimistic SLATEDL/Expose/EDLNews watchers & commenters ask all the time.

This is a video of a bit of the protest in Rochdale just last saturday.

"Smelly loving pakis" can be heard several times.

It's probably because the most aggressive stuff either happens online (and there's so much of it that all they can do is focus on the really really over-the-top stuff - like CxF's threat to bring guns to the Remembrance day protest) or it happens on their demos where it's just difficult to get it to stick.

They've got to arrest them in the first place, find adequate witnesses, prove that they knew what they were doing dispite being drunk out of their minds (which they always are.) and justify the public cost for persuing the matter over what is, effectively, using a naughty word. And the end result will be either an ASBO or a couple hours community service, both of which will cost more money to enforce.

KayTee fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Jun 11, 2012

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?

spincube posted:

Because, sadly but simply, it's socially-acceptable to be racist, and it's less socially-acceptable to call people out for being racist.

Maybe my glasses are still a little rose-tinted, but I don't think this is the case. At least, not in a "institutionalised racism" fashion.

The EDL's "street army" exists because their brand of violence and racism is, simply, no longer welcome or accepted in it's previous tribal-based football-gang organisations. The EDL is vilified in the media at large for the most part (okay, with the exception of the occasional dog-whistle stories that most of the Tight-wing UK press have made their own) For example The Star's "support/glorification" of the EDL as a political party was so short lived and quickly backpeddled on that it nearly gave its readers whiplash. The Mail hates them, mostly because they're poor, but also because even Paul Dacre realises that the "N"-Word isn't accepted by the majority any more. Cameron has actively spoken out against their breed of public disruption, even if he hasn't moved to tackle them (Prolly because he's got a few more pressing things on his mind) but all-in-all racism is not accepted in UK society at large.

It's also worth noting that the EDL are minuscule. The bigger problem being the condition that the EDL are a symptom of. That of simplistic scapegoating created, again, by the Right-Wing media. If 9/11 had never happened, and the media's focus on Muslims not followed, he EDL would still exist, but it'd be focused on just black people in general, or the gays or the Marxists or the Jews or (most likely) the polish. There will always exist a group of people whose world-view will be so simplistic that they can lump all their problems on an "other", causing the type of behaviour that the EDL produce.

I do think that the reason that the EDL are not prosecuted over their constant racist language is a double-effect of the "freedom of speech" argument (which is all sorts of complex when you try and explain it in press copy) and the knowledge that prosecuting on these terms appears as a governmental repression on opinion, but mostly because it'll cost more than it'll recoup.

Investing more into education, outreach programs and integration action is a far more cost-effective and actually effective way of dealing with them. Which is exactly what Love Luton, to name one, does. And it does it very well.

[Edit]

Zombywuf posted:

"Hate speech" is not a legal concept in the UK.

I'm no lawyer - but some rules and laws must exist that kinda cover this field, suerly.

Otherwise, this wouldn't have happened:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2012/mar/27/student-jailed-fabrice-muamba-tweets

or would the prosecution of Emma West.

... or is there some fiddly legalese stuff that I'm not getting over what is and is not "hate speech".

KayTee fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Jun 11, 2012

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?

duck monster posted:

Intensely so. The upside is , it makes them very trollable.

We've actually had a, I don't know what to call it, a trolling loopback?

Backstory:

CxF member Matthew Woodward was exposed as a possessor of child porn...

quote:

Matthew Stephen Raymond Woodward pleaded guilty to 15 charges of level one child pornography featuring kids age 10 to 15 and one level 4 video of a 13 year old. He also faced charges of trying to solicit a 13 year old girl for pornographic photographs.

It is assumed that another CxF member (apparently a fellow called Micheal Kearns - identified by his unique spelling techniques) then set up a "parody" Liverpool Antifascists facebook page, as well as a fake "Phil Dickens" account.

Real Phil Dickens blog I believe he is aware of all this - I don't know if any legal action is planned or under-way - I should hope so.

The page is labelled Liverpool anti fascists" (anti british division)" and has the following description:

quote:

we just hate fash an british peole but really dont know what were doing we just dont wash an turn up when our leader phil says so

They then went on to pretty blatantly libel LAF's leader by posting this:

Pretty soon it was spotted by a number of EDL types and uploaded to one of their "debate" pages The New Daily Patriot. Wherein the despicable behaviour of the obviously pedo-supporting LAF were called out and unquestionably believed.

Most of the thread is here before it was finally deleted. I say "most of the thread" because several attempts to point out that the shot was fake, by linking to both the real and fake pages were deleted and those individuals banned from the page.

Of note is the page admin's admission that she hadn't looked into the story. Also of note is the call for public lynchings, hangings and beatings. We won't have no barbaric Sharia law here! Nosiree!

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?

Strif-ah Ker-not posted:

Has Roberta Moore (ex head of the Jewish division of the EDL) been up to anything lately? Has the whole Jewish division been scrapped after she was hanging out with literal terrorists?

She and Robert Bartholomeus, the other non-English, non-Jewish leader of the English Defence League's Jewish Division, are still around. They tend to go through extended periods of silence inbetween demos.

It's also quite possible that Tommeh, most likely on the advice of his new chums at the BFP, have told him to keep his close relationship with two known members of a terrorist organisation a bit under wraps.

In the mean time, their other prominent "look we're obviously not nazis coz we've got mates who proper nazis hate" subdevision is the EDL's LGBT Division, and they seem to be picking up the slack with This article on the Official EDL site.

The thrust of the article seems to be "Moozlims hate gays more than we do so you're better off with us."

It is so easy to dismantle it's almost laughable.

quote:

Gay people in Britain have far more to fear from Islam than they do from the EDL.

The EDL who happily had an interview [ Video Link ] with homophobic and islamophobic (natch) group Christian Action Network.

quote:

In 2009 the internationally-renowned polling organisation Gallup did a survey comparing the attitudes of British Muslims and European Muslims towards homosexuality. The survey (conducted by a team of Muslims) reported that British Muslims had zero tolerance for homosexuality.

The best thing about this article, the BEST thing, is that every story it links to either does not say what they think it does, or outright says the opposite, as we'll see later.

Let's break this one down point-by-point.

Here is the article they link to.

quote:

The most dramatic contrast was found in attitudes towards homosexuality. None of the 500 British Muslims interviewed believed that homosexual acts were morally acceptable. 1,001 non-Muslim Britons were interviewed.

This is what you'd call a near-insignificant sample.

Now, I don't doubt that there are prevailing conservative, anti-gay sentiments in the Muslim community. They exist in every religious community. But to take 500 people, willing to answer a survey on this issue, and claim that it is representative of all Muslims is nonsense. Especially in the face of groups like Imaan and Safra

What I found bizare, though was this claim: "The survey (conducted by a team of Muslims)"

There is no mention of this being the case. And even if it was, wouldn't it contradict the "taquaya all they do is lie" argument? Why, if Muslims are to be feared, and lie in order to worm their way into society, would they put out a negative story about themselves?

I eventually found what I think was the line that sparked this "obervation"

quote:

The survey was formally launched in London today by Dalia Mogahed, who was recently appointed to US president Barack Obama's advisory council on faith-based and neighbourhood partnerships and is executive director of the Gallup Centre for Muslim Studies.

I can only assume that the author believes that the Gallup Centre for Muslim Studies is comprised of Muslims and only Muslims.

Back to the article.

quote:

From the very beginning EDL has championed equality for gay people, unlike the Muslim community of Britain.

I have already linked to two organisations that champion for the Gay Muslim community.

Here is an example of typical EDL behaviour.

Ball's back in your court, EDL.

quote:

It was not EDL who covered east London in stickers saying “Gay Free Zone”.
Again, going to the story that the EDL link to...

quote:

Hasnath, of Poplar, east London, had also been dealt with by the court for sticking "gay-free zone" posters in Brick Lane.

Brick Lane

East London

Leaving aside that these leaflets are little more than a homophobic version of scribbling "No Girls Allowed" on your tree-house, the story here is that someone was charged with vandalism, and later admitted to criminal damage, and later admitted to possessing terrorist literature and was dealt with appropriately.

Looks to me like the system's working.

quote:

The Muslim who did that in February 2011 was let off with a token fine. Yet he was recently (and quietly) imprisoned on terrorist charges.

I like that they point out that it happened quietly.

quote:

When EDL visits Bristol you will be able to make up your own mind, rather than relying on the fear-mongering and mis-reporting of sensationalist journalists. Openly gay people have been seen on every EDL demo; but the media choose not to show photographs of us, even though they make a point of taking photos.

The only one they could put forwar is Liam Wood - the previous admin of the LGBT Facebook Page. He hasn't been heard of since the Christian Action interview.

quote:

Muslims have also been on many EDL demos, but once again, the media choose to ignore them.

Again. Abdul. Who is exploited by the EDL in an appaling way.

quote:

In light of the recent convictions of gangs (entirely of Muslim men) who groomed, raped and pimped young white girls, it is sickening that any MP should attempt to stop an EDL demo. It is EDL that has campaigned against the conspiracy of silence which has enabled these gangs to continue this abuse without prosecution.

What has this got to do with Gays?

Anything?

No?

Gotta bring up the EBIL MUZZIE PEDOS to keep the fanbase riled up, right? They don't want to hear about the gays, really do they?

quote:

The authorities have known of the existence of these gangs for years, and have done nothing. Proof of this knowledge can be seen in an educational film aimed at 13 to 14 year old girls, a film which was never used in the past 4 years for fear of upsetting “community cohesion”.

And a link to a Daily Mail article.

I knew I was on to a winner with this one, because it is by "Daily Mail Reporter". A catch-all nome-de-bollocks that is used whenever the Mail pulls poo poo clean out of it's rear end.

quote:

Film on dangers of Asian sex gangs commissioned by Government agency... then withheld for three years

A specially commissioned film warning young girls of the dangers posed by Asian sex gangs is yet to be seen in schools after almost three years, it was revealed today.

That's as far as the EDL have read into this story. Daily Mail stories rely on this because the story itself is usually nothing of the sort. As is in this case.

To cut a long story short in 2008 a film called "My Dangerous Loverboy" which you can watch on the Mail's site has been used, successfully, in sex and awareness education programmes across the UK.

Recently it was requested that it be adapted for use in schools, and a delay arose due to a technical issue in the editing.

The title has changed since I first saw it as it did claim, as the EDL article states, that it was witheald for "fear of upsetting “community cohesion”."

This line comes, entirely, from this quote:

quote:

The UKHTC has denied the delay was due to fears about racial sensitivities.

quote:

Our politicians have sacrificed vulnerable young girls on the altar of community cohesion. We will continue to campaign on these matters, no matter how unpalatable it is to MPs in Bristol.

Yup, you just keep on shilling your muddled, uninformed, divisive, false and unwanted message, EDL.

KayTee fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Jun 13, 2012

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?

Enjoy posted:

Actually that is pretty worrying if it's true
http://www.surveysystem.com/sscalc.htm

Huh... Well, that's what I get for taking an A-level in psychology, and thinking I know anything about sample sizes, survey bias and whatever.

In other news - The British Freedom Party, ladies and gentlemen:

Peter Mullins is the party leader of the BFP.

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?
Okay, apologies for two low-content posts but this turned up today and made me LOL.

Theme Music

Facebook commentor posted:

Err, so how come the whole of mostly rural Lancashire has been overwhelmed by Muslims in the space of 8 years, when I imagine there are very few there currently? Ditto the large sweep from Bristol up to Gloucester, which I can state unequivocally has very few Muslims in it. They have fronts that divide "English" territory from other "English" territory and one line of communication goes through the Wash! This looks more like a map of areas with lots of immigration in, although even then it's inaccurate!

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?
few recent developments.

The EDL are goin' on a march in Dewsbury on the 30th.

Quite why they chose Dewsbury was a little confusing untill they posted this on their homepage.

quote:

We will be protesting about the problems that Dewsbury has with both militant Islam and with Muslim integration in general, as well as the continued failure of both local and national politicians to even acknowledge that there are these problems.

Dewsbury was home to the ringleader of the 7/7 bombers and the mosque that he attended has been accused by critics (including other Muslims) of promoting segregation, isolationism and Islamic supremacism.

Of course, the best way to deal with the threat of mlitant Islam is to get pissed, spout racist nonsense and generally intimidate the people of Dewsbury, and further inflame any racial tensions in the area.

quote:

Our quarrel is with extremism, with those who encourage it and with those who refuse to stand against it – not with ordinary Muslims.

Which is why Tommeh tried to burn a Koran at the last demo. Because he has no quarrel with regular muslims.

quote:

We will be meeting at 11am at Dewsbury railway station car park (WF13 1HF). From there the EDL stewarding team will escort everyone to the pubs that the police have designated for our use. At around 1pm we will be heading to the Town Hall to listen to the speeches.

I blew a bit of a gasket when I read this.

Can anyone name a single protest movement in history whish has required "Designated Pubs"? Any protest movement in which attending any speeches comes second to getting a pint? Really goes to show how important their own message is, doesn't it?

Anyway - the vast majority of material for the demo has come from the works of a local Dewsbury man Danny Lockwood who is owner and editor of "The Press" newspaper.

"The Intelligent Weekly"

The racist content o the paper has spawned it's own counter-protest Facebook page

quote:

This group has been created to enable people to air their views and opinions about The Press Newspaper and to show that we, as a community are no longer prepared to accept these bigoted, divisive, intimidatory comments in the name of journalism.

Danny is also the authour of The Islamic Republic of Dewsbury which explains the EDL's interest in the city.

In other news:

The CxF and North West Infiels attempted to assault a curch meeting:

What the event actually was:

Tommeh was charged in court for something and released with a conditional discharge:

He celebrated the very next day by getting arrested for a racially aggrivated public offence:

The NWI and CxF got together again in Rotchdale to "protest" the successful convictions of a pedophile ring.

Proud British patriots there, writing the 14 words on the Union Flag.

Here's a summary of their "protest" in five images, provided by EDL News

And Boycott Halal shits itself in horror when it realises that there is no ritually slaughtered meat in HP Sauce.

Write up by Liverpool Anti-Facisism

Also, new thread title!

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?
So, the CxF, who have been hanging out a lot with the National Front recently, decided that posting this on their Facebook page was a good idea.

And I do apologise, but I just couldn't help myself:

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?

He's lucky he wasn't going up against any mimes.

Sneaky bastards - you never hear them coming.

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?

Cerv posted:

the ms paint effect muzzle smoke i get, but what's with the yellow, red, blue dots?

V. Illych L. posted:

Juggling balls?

Yeah... They're supposed to be juggling balls.

... I guess I suck at this :(

Apparently the CxF have 'fired' a Facebook admin, and have since released this statement:

This is almost a work of genius. It doesn't say anything, but you have to read it 5-6 times and run it through an idiot translator to even begin to see that it doesn't say anything.

Let me see if I can break the "Statement" down...

1, An admin posted a picture.
2, The picture was a Swedish bloke who wanted to Join CxF, and we despratly need the numbers.
3, Posting the pic of the guy with a gun was okay, because the guy has training and poo poo.
4, Some of our guys have a bouncers licence.
5, Other people who have a bouncer's licence have, actually, gone on and done something useful with their lives.
7, The 4th paragraph is my fanfiction. What do you think? Please review!
8, I hope this has answered any questions!

Didn't I say in one of my first intro posts that the CxF are loving hilarious?

KayTee fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Jun 26, 2012

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?

DesperateDan posted:

The edl are really pissed off over this one, claiming it's a set up, that they are innocent and they have hidden footage that will exonerate them, or it simply never happened e.t.c to the point where they are plotting to harass judges at home.

Ha! It was harassing an MP at his home that caused all this! Shows how quick they learn, doesn't it!

The M.P. in question released a statement saying, as you'd expect, I'm happy these criminals have been charged and adequately punished.

So, in response, all their mates and backers hopped on to the fellow's FB page and started harassing him on-line as well.

Linked for longness - http://i.imgur.com/hMwHg.jpg

[edit]

DesperateDan posted:

If you happen to mention that the defendants plead guilty, they REALLY get stroppy, even stroppier than when you point out their numbers are a tenth of what they were 3 years ago

There are rumours going around that the ones who were charged with lesser offences were pressured into pleading guilty by the ones with the more serious offences so as to obtain more lenient sentences for all.

Again linked for longness http://i.imgur.com/8hbT3.png

It's all a bit of a lost cause - they, themselves, uploaded a video showing exactly what they did. They later released the same video claiming it proved them innocent.

KayTee fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Jun 27, 2012

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?

I'll just leave you to look at this image for a while.

Apparently it was created for a spoof page (Britchan, I'm informed). Here, the EDL are using it, unironically.

They are very, very special.

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?

Section 31 posted:

Are they going to make "special appearance" at London Olympics?

I think they're gonna try. :/

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?

Barry Foster posted:

More than zero, so too many.

Serious answer - not as many as they claim, by a long shot. Apparently, they claim about 100,000 members, but a study by Demos suggests around 25,000 to 35,000 'active backers'. And only a very small percentage consistently turn up to things and cause trouble, so who knows who could or couldn't be properly termed a 'member'.

Bear in mind I'm only citing links from wikipedia here, though. I'm sure KayTee may have a better idea/sources.

We have no idea for sure. Officially the EDL doesn't have "members", it's a legal loophole they use to avoid responsibility for actions on their demos. Not that they need worry - to date nearly every EDL member who has gone up in court has denied membership with the group almost immediately, sometimes the group denies the individuals membership too. We call it the EDL's Quantum Division. Where an individual was always a 'member' until they're caught doing something illegal, in which case they were never a 'member'.

I'd argue hard with the Wikipedia article. At one point Tommeh did claim that they had 100,000 'members' based purely off their Facebook likes (Later in the same interview he was called up on some of the posts on the FB page, and he said that it was "Just Facebook" and couldn't be relied on). 3 of those previous FB likes were me.

After a hacking group (Z-Company I think) took down their FB page they've struggled to get figures back up. They're currently at just under 9,000 on their FB page (they jumped up by almost 2,000 after a Dispatches programme a few months back). The Likes on the individual division pages are useless as a guide, as they encourage each 'member' to sign up to almost every Division. Again, a fair chunk of those are trolls, curious onlookers and Antifa.

The Demos have dropped drastically, from being able to pull up to 5,000 to recent demos of no more than 500. They are slowly dying as the occasions of football-riot piss-ups no longer happen, most have little to no money to attend and others realise that the EDL/BFP do not do what they thought.

At some point we're hoping that someone in a position of authority will realise now much of a drain on police forces and public money the EDL are, with so few costing so much (The last demo in Dewsbury barely topped 400, not including counter-protesters, and cost nearly £500,000) and either find a way to charge them, or proscribe them outright. A couple of MPs (Mehboob Kahn and Simon Reevell have both voiced concerns over this facet.)

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?

Ichabod Sexbeast posted:

KayTee, you seem pretty well informed - are you just a concerned citizen, or do you help out with research for a group of some description, keeping tabs on cunts? Apologies if I missed it beforehand, but I've been meaning to do so myself - I spend too much time reading on the internet as it is, it may as well be for something useful. Can I join in? Is there a vetting process? Some kind of underground Freedom Lair?

I'm just a member and occasional poster on a couple of Facebook pages that follow the EDL and generally take the piss out of them, and that's pretty much all I've been doing for the last 2-3 years.

If you do want to get involved the admins of this FB page are a good mix of activists and EDLNews has a contact/contribute section.

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?
I think only 250-odd turned up because the rest of them were demo-ing in an alternate dimension.

Here's a post from there:

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?

goddamnedtwisto posted:

not only get published but complaints about them are rejected by the PCC.

Quick note but it's worth remembering that complaining to the PCC about Desmond's papers is officially pointless anyway. He doesn't have to answer to them.

Mind you, complaining to the PCC about anything is usually pointless.

But it is something that Leveson is taking on:

Daily Star has Anti-Muslim Agends - Loonwatch.

Editor grilled over Daily Star Anti-Muslim Stance - Politics.co.uk

quote:

Mr Jay showed [editor Ms. Neesom] one front page featuring the headline: "Muslim thugs aged just 12 in knife attack on Brit school boy."

He branded the language "tendentious", pointing out that the victim was described as "British", but the perpetrators, who were also British, were described as "Muslim".

He also pointed out that the 'attack' actually referred to a comment on Facebook.

"It's not good," Ms Neesom admitted. She promised to pursue the issue "back in the office".

Transcript of Inayat Bunglawala's testimony to Leveson. Mr. Bunglawala is the organiser of a Muslim advocacy group.

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?

Serotonin posted:

They had a transgender person give a speech and carry the banner on Saturday. She made a heartbreaking post on Bristol Indymedia about how the EDL are the only people who support her.

I personally love the quote from Vice on this:

quote:

‎[A] transgender EDL member made a speech at their rally, so they can’t be homophobes. Just like how it’s impossible to be racist if you tip the guy who brings you your pizza.

Anyone remember the Mayoral candidate for Liverpool, who only qualified as 'living' in Liverpool after renting a pigeon shed? Well, he's quickly turning into a far-right comedy genius. If Hitler ever made an appearance in Dad's Army, it'd be this guy.

From the Liverpool Echo

quote:

A FAR-RIGHT politician is to sue Merseyside police for flying a gay rights flag above a police station.

English Democrat Paul Rimmer, who recently failed in his bid to become mayor of Liverpool, was arrested in May after an argument in Toxteth’s Admiral Street police station over the flying of the iconic rainbow flag.

quote:

But Mr Rimmer, 49, claims the police needed planning permission to fly anything other than a national flag or that of a saint under the terms of the Town and Country Planning Act.

It's the standard "Waah! We can't fly our indigenous flags because it offends muzzies/pakis/whatever!" gibberish, but this time it's full on twisted to "You can't fly your flag because it offends me."

Seriously.

quote:

He also claims that flying the rainbow flag may have been an act of sexual orientation discrimination contrary to the Equality Act 2010.

Today Mr Rimmer denied he was homophobic, saying: “The police are supposed to represent all sections of society and not discriminate in favour of particular groups.”

This is amazing. "They're not supposed to discriminate against us easily-offended, oppressed, straight folks! So stop showing support for the drat queers!"

The response is pretty uplifting:

quote:

Today deputy council leader Paul Brant said: “These are bonkers views. The rainbow flag was flown on International Day Against Homophobia, which is marked right across the world, and the police should be praised for their impulsivity.

“The English Democrats were rejected at the recent elections and we should focus on what unites us rather than divides us.”

Liberal group leader Cllr Steve Radford described Mr Rimmer’s views as “bigoted fantasy”.

He added: “If Mr Rimmer has a problem with the flag shown on police stations, it says a lot about his personal hang-up.

And as for Mr. Rimmer's legal action...

quote:

Liverpool council, which oversees planning control, said it will take no action against the police.

A Liverpool council spokesman said: “We take a sensible and measured view of the flying of temporary flags.

“In this instance, a well-known symbol was being displayed for a limited period of time at Admiral Street police station – and also at a number of other public buildings in the city – which we are able to permit.”

Which is a pretty polite way of saying: "gently caress off with your petty, time-wasting petulant nonsense you irritating little gobshite."

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?
While many are commemorating the anniversary of Brevik's massacre of kids in Oslo, one EDL facebook page has dropped all pretence and is now openly supporting him.

Large image linked

quote:

Tomorrow is the anniversary of the Oslo incident.

The Oslo incident is a reminder of what Islam, multiculturalism, far-left politics and mass immigration does to a nation and its people.

It is the ONE single instance of significant right-wing violence that has ever occurred.

Terrorism - in all its forms - is firmly the home of the far-left and Islam (as all statistics overwhelmingly confirm).

Lets hope, for the sake of peace, love and the future of Britain, Europe, America and Israel, that the decaying, poisonous and hate-creating ideologies of Islamism, multiculturalism, far-left politics and mass immigration are destroyed before something like this happens again.

Other EDL types who happen to accidentally flick through a news channel decide to weigh in on the Colarado Batman shooter:

And the Daily Star continues to be the official newspaper of the EDL.

"TROOPS FALLING IN WITH THE EDL"

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?

Kurtofan posted:

That is one hell of a lie.

"The only time a right winger killed people, yup".

Not the only time. Just the only time it's been significant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?
So.... This made me laugh.

This is an absolute must-read. Enjoy!

• Locked thread