Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

That voice doesn't sound like Reynolds, weird.

I'm slightly surprised that Reynolds hasn't posted it on Twitter, seems like it would be right up his alley

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

kiimo posted:

I'm not sure I'm ready for a world where people I trust are describing Ready Player One as "excellent"

Yeah it looks like a bad version of Pixels!

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

i'm not really sure what you're trying to say here. is Disney throwing their weight around to influence what Fox does with their IP in advance of the actual sale?

No, they can't do that. But if New Mutants isn't out by the time Disney complete the purchase they can certainly stick it in a can and leave it there forever.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

That voice doesn't sound like Reynolds, weird.

Well, that's probably due to it not being Ryan Reynolds. This is fan made.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Proteus Jones posted:

Well, that's probably due to it not being Ryan Reynolds. This is fan made.

Maybe the weird thing is that Ryan Reynolds did not make it.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

The MSJ posted:

Maybe the weird thing is that Ryan Reynolds did not make it.

Okay, it felt like more DP stunt marketing, but I wasn't paying too much attention.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Jedit posted:

No, they can't do that. But if New Mutants isn't out by the time Disney complete the purchase they can certainly stick it in a can and leave it there forever.

so you've landed at more or less the same question I have: why the gently caress are they delaying it into possibly-never instead of fast-tracking it?

the movie is reasonably close to done. enough so that they could test-screen it and drop a trailer. what the gently caress sense does it make for them to fart around reshooting half the goddamn movie instead of finishing up the initial cut and dropping it ASAP?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

They probably wanted some kind of character to get fans/general geeks interested. Like, I dunno, gambit shows up or something.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

CelticPredator posted:

They probably wanted some kind of character to get fans/general geeks interested. Like, I dunno, gambit shows up or something.

Oh that always works splendidly, such as the time they shoehorned Venom into Spider-Man 3 or the time they crammed Deadpool into X-Men Origins: Wolverine ....

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Its because the test screenings proved it's a loving disaster. They are probably going to reshoot and rewrite the majority of it.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

AFAIK Paul Schraeder (sp?) hasn't done anything good since Rolling Thunder so color me skeptical, but I like the subject matter.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Okay, it felt like more DP stunt marketing, but I wasn't paying too much attention.

I imagine Ryan was halfway through a recording session when the producer came in and said "sorry guys, a fan beat us to it."

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Hakkesshu posted:

Yeah it looks like a bad version of Pixels!

This is my Mangosteen isn’t it

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

PriorMarcus posted:

Its because the test screenings proved it's a loving disaster. They are probably going to reshoot and rewrite the majority of it.

except the only report we have on this says the changes were made despite the movie testing well because fox wanted to add a new character/"make the movie scarier"

justlikedunkirk
Dec 24, 2006
First Reformed is a very good movie and I hope people try to see it knowing as little as possible. The trailer has to give stuff away of course but part of the thrill of seeing it for the first time was really having no idea where this thing was going to end up (and where it does end up is bonkers).

Schrader started out doing criticism and wrote a book on what he called transcendental cinema (filmmakers like Bresson, Dreyer, and Ozu). This is his first time trying to make his own version of that, and it works quite well.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
In horror movies based offa shorts news

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFnS_qGqNUs

From

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gryenlQKTbE

viral spiral
Sep 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Dillbag posted:

I think the problem with The Predator is that a lot of people, me included, want something tonally similar to the first movie - moments of levity but overall a serious, brutal, R-rated badass survival film. Everything I've heard about the new one is that it's too funny/chatty and toeing the line between R and PG13 so they have the option to release to an expanded audience in case they never test high enough with the R rating. Tonally it just sounds wrong for a Predator film, I mean there are little kids in it for christ's sake. And you fuckin know they're they ones that are going to "save the day".

I love me some Shane Black, but all the man really did on the first film was some minor rewrites and add a couple jokes into the script. He was hired as an actor because it was a way for McTiernan to have a writer on set without breaking WGA rules. It's not like he has this deep connection to the franchise other than getting killed first and making a couple of pussy jokes.

This is pretty much what I want as well. I don't really care what the plot is as long as the tone of the film is like the other three.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
Are trailers especially formulaic right now or am I just noticing it more than I have before

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
More neat lookin' A24, including what I guess is Nicole Kidman playing Bowie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwbtVpho1go

The Peccadillo fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Apr 3, 2018

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Are trailers especially formulaic right now or am I just noticing it more than I have before

It's always been formulaic ("In a world…"), people just tend to remember the good stuff

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

morestuff posted:

It's always been formulaic ("In a world…"), people just tend to remember the good stuff

Ha, I was just trying to remember the last time I saw a "In a world..." trailer that wasn't parodying the formula.

These days it's all slowed down versions of rock songs and BWOMMMM and slow piano notes PLINK

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

The Peccadillo posted:

More neat lookin' A24, including what I guess is Nicole Kidman playing Bowie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwbtVpho1go

I'd like to say this looks good because A24, Elle Fanning, etc...but it looks bad.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I don't know why, but I'm reminded of Scott Pilgrim. Maybe it's just the very bright colors and very, uh, unique looking male lead.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
This looks fun

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hTLGlgZ4Z8

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Day 1.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

God drat that took a turn towards awesome. That first fight was hilarious.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That looks loving ridiculous, count me in.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

lmao. Yeah, I'll watch this.

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007
During the trailer I was asking myself "Is that Tom Hardy or the guy who looks exactly like Tom Hardy?". There wasn't enough grunting so I figured it was the latter.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Logan Marshall Green is the Brundlefied take on Tom Hardy and Jon Bernthal.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I'd say it looks fun, but not spend-money fun

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I'm gonna pay for it instead of movie pass it.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3ALwKeSEYs

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

I'd say it looks fun, but not spend-money fun

I like to spend money on having fun, so i'm going to pay to see this ridiculously entertaining fun looking movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
Hey everyone, this thread is starting to get pretty big so I've made a new one. Thanks for all the discussion in this one.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3853470

• Locked thread