Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN

Robert Denby posted:

The Skyfall teaser is out. Personally I found it a little underwhelming, especially given that the last two so effectively built up hype.

I liked it. Especially the gun shots matching the drum beat.

That Red Eye trailer was really creepy and well done. Ive heard about that one but only saw the one presenting it as a thriller first

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart
Paul Thomas Anderon's The Master gets a trailer (teaser? Whatever, it's finally here!) and it is hypnotic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9oZDKFoCqAw

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

kaujot posted:

Paul Thomas Anderon's The Master gets a trailer (teaser? Whatever, it's finally here!) and it is hypnotic.

That's putting my butt in a theatre seat. Also, that's an interesting aspect ratio for PTA to use...

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
As far as trailers go that have an obvious attunement to the sensibilities of the director(s) themselves, one of my all-time favorites has to be for A Serious Man:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FYtprwg1As

The looping audio track does such a wonderful job of simultaneously creating a sense of anxiety, humor, and rising interest. By the end of the trailer I always have to remind myself that the beat that I'm keeping is the sound of Larry Gopnik's head hitting a chalkboard. You can't ask for more in a trailer.

kaujot posted:

If PTA can squeeze that performance out of Joaquin Phoenix, I can't wait to see what he does with Philip Seymour Hoffman. I think this is a movie we will all talk about for a long, long time.

Jewmanji fucked around with this message at 20:38 on May 21, 2012

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

In the "Movie Trailers I Love for Movies I Hated" category, the trailer for Tarnation:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLDQL23nutw

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I was watching X-Men: First Class on TV the other day and I was reminded of the submarine trailer they flooded the airwaves with. While I can understand the studio wanting a big dramatic/showy moment to showcase it still had the problem of completely undermining Magneto's arc.

TheYellowFog
Oct 17, 2008

grain alcohol and rainwater
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxs4P6u1EiI

This trailer for a re-release of The Rules of the Game is really well done. It throws out huge names praising it, then tells the audience that it was banned by the Nazi's, which makes people want to see it more. It is also tightly edited with the music.

Harry Privates
Oct 10, 2007

Jewmanji posted:

If PTA can squeeze that performance out of Joaquin Phoenix, I can't wait to see what he does with Philip Seymour Hoffman. I think this is a movie we will all talk about for a long, long time.

You can see that already in Boogie Nights.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Harry Privates posted:

Also pretty much every other film he's made save Sydney and There Will Be Blood.

Arthe Xavier
Apr 22, 2007

Artificial Stupidity

kaujot posted:

One of the best trailers I have seen in quite some time. It is the music and the haunting look of Joaquin Phoenix that really sells it ( and, well, the fact that it is a new movie by Paul Thomas Anderson, who is one of my favorite directors ). Amazing. I always thought of Phoenix as a really good actor, too, so I can't wait to see what Anderson squeezes out of him.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.

zenintrude posted:

[...]"Movie Trailers I Love for Movies I Hated"[...]

Blow. A thousand times over. Then again, it was in high school when everyone was saying "This is the greatest movie ever made, ever!"

And even though I know the movies are utter crap, the trailers for Twister and Pearl Harbor still send a chill down my spine.

TheYellowFog
Oct 17, 2008

grain alcohol and rainwater
The first teaser for 2012 is a good homage to The Shining trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5VXa82AuwHU

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
One of my all time favorite teaser trailers is this one for A Nightmare on Elm Street Part III

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGNHdsZi3v0

Freddy is just around the corner.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Harry Privates posted:

Too true, but Boogie Nights is almost 15 years old now, both PTA and Philip Seymour Hoffman have improved their trades by leaps and bounds since then (even since Magnolia). I wonder if There Will Be Blood will be considered something of a turning point in PTA's career (could also just be two movies filled with dread and scored by Jonny Greenwood, we'll see!)

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

TheYellowFog posted:

The first teaser for 2012 is a good homage to The Shining trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5VXa82AuwHU

2012 also gave us probably the best fake trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZW2qxFkcLM0

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

2012 also gave us probably the best fake trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZW2qxFkcLM0

I'll never not find "CORCOVADOOH-NO!!!" funny.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
"Yay Spaceships? Yay Spaceships!" is what does it for me.

Anyway, here is the weirdest trailer I've ever seen for a major studio release, and to cap it all of it has Laurie Anderson as the background music.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken
So the trailer for Baz Luhrmann's adaptation of The Great Gatsby is out.

http://youtu.be/OULhlaX6JY4

I think the choice of music kind of put me off.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

Vagabundo posted:

So the trailer for Baz Luhrmann's adaptation of The Great Gatsby is out.

http://youtu.be/OULhlaX6JY4

I think the choice of music kind of put me off.

No Church in the Wild is a great pick. The second song? Not so much.

Looks great though, everything is so huge!

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
I guess I kind of ignored it the first time I heard it was Baz Luhrman, but I have to say that looks absolutely abysmal. I think his skills were well suited to Romeo and Juliet, which has also seen so many different adaptations that it doesn't seem like a huge sin to gently caress certain parts of it up anymore, but The Great Gatsby definitely deserves a more subtle touch. I'm sure DiCaprio will be as good as always, but there seems to me a really jarring disconnect between the voice in my head when I read Fitzgerald's prose, and what Luhrman puts on the screen.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

penismightier posted:

No Church in the Wild is a great pick. The second song? Not so much.

Funny, I feel exactly the opposite. "No Church" just feels really disconnected, while "Love is Blindness" just nails the tone.

quote:

Looks great though, everything is so huge!

I'm simultaneously frightened and excited to see this one in 3D because...seriously, GOOD GOD. The first 10 minutes of Australia left me completely punch drunk, I can't imagine being assaulted by that kind of imagery in 3D.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Gatsby actually looks really good, didn't expect that. Both music cues are great, by the way.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
I always think of "Gatsby" as being a small, subtle book, so seeing that trailer is very jarring. I'm a bit intrigued. They really seem to be duplicating that sickly-green two-color Technicolor look (which was also duplicated in "The Aviator").

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Robert Denby posted:

I always think of "Gatsby" as being a small, subtle book, so seeing that trailer is very jarring. I'm a bit intrigued. They really seem to be duplicating that sickly-green two-color Technicolor look (which was also duplicated in "The Aviator").

If I remember, back when this movie was first announced, Luhrmann was quoted as saying that he wanted to use this movie to turn a mirror on today's society and say "You've been drunk on money." So in that respect, he seems to be on his way to hitting that mark by really pressing the decadence of the period.

I somehow made it through high school without reading Gatsby, though. (Which I might be grateful for if we didn't read bullshit like The Light in the Forest instead. Seriously, motherfuck that book.) So I don't know if that approach is all that true to what Fitzgerald was going for.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Bugblatter posted:

Gatsby actually looks really good, didn't expect that. Both music cues are great, by the way.

Yeah, I really liked both songs in it too. Worked well for the shift in the trailer.

I was excited for this film for DiCaprio, Mulligan and Edgerton mainly but now I'm just straight-up into checking out Baz Luhrmann's interpretation.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

That sure was Baz Lurhman's Gatsby.

I liked it but I don't think it can convince anyone already opposed to Gatsby in 3D or directed by Luhrman.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Maybe it's just me, but subtle and Gatsby aren't really related in my head. I know I've said this elsewhere, but Luhrmann might be the best person to make this movie. Those party scenes are going to be so over the top they'll be perfect, and the 3D makes absolute sense to me.

SEX HAVER 40000
Aug 6, 2009

no doves fly here lol

kaujot posted:

I'm late for Masterchat but this trailer's got my rear end in the seat. Every little clip has a sense of mystery--what the hell's he sharpening? Why's he making a sand-nipple? What's that liquid?--which, when combined with the voiceover, lends on uneasy quality to the whole thing. I don't understand why any of it is happening, or how, and I cannot wait to find out. Joaquin looks loving amazingly haggard and somewhat deranged, too; I didn't even recognize him at first.

I'm not a big Gatsby or Luhrmann fan, but the combination of the two is a little too perfect.

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe
Am I the only one who thinks Gatsby looks like feces in cinema form?

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs
I'm not completely sold on DiCaprio as Gatsby, but Carey Mulligan as Daisy is excellent, and I'm particularly digging Tobey Maguire as Nick. He's got that perfect oblivious, chummy look.

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart

Shanty posted:

I'm not completely sold on DiCaprio as Gatsby, but Carey Mulligan as Daisy is excellent, and I'm particularly digging Tobey Maguire as Nick. He's got that perfect oblivious, chummy look.

Agreed. Maguire and Mulligan look like they were born to be cast in this. DiCaprio looks like he doesn't quite fit in, especially as Gatsby.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
Wow The Great Gatsby looks incredible! I agree with DivisionPost, No Church in the Wild doesn't fit (it doesn't help I've always disliked that song) but Love is Blindness by Jack White is great. Especially in that shot where DiCaprio is screaming.

For some reason I had it in my mind that Scorcese was doing this production, and seeing Baz Luhrmann and the visuals really threw me for a loop.

bows1 fucked around with this message at 12:26 on May 23, 2012

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

kaujot posted:

Agreed. Maguire and Mulligan look like they were born to be cast in this. DiCaprio looks like he doesn't quite fit in, especially as Gatsby.

At first I thought he looked a little too gruff for the socialite setting, I can just hear him growling "OLD SPORT" at a terrified Nick. I think I'm just having trouble divorcing it from some of his other recent roles, and he's definitely growing on me. A couple of the shots in the trailer where he's all collected and stylish are definitely all Gatsby, but the ones where he's growling or shouting aren't selling it for me. Gatsby always seemed more subdued than that to me.

Digi_Kraken
Sep 4, 2011

ape canyon posted:

What's that liquid?--which, when combined with the voiceover, lends on uneasy quality to the whole thing.

Back in WWII, the torpedoes would be fueled by an ethanol mixture, so sailors would sneak into the "holding room" and drain some of the fuel to mix into cocktails called "torpedo juice."

Because it was fuel though, they were drinking literally 180 proof grain alcohol :gonk:

Yucky.

Lady Gaga
Sep 20, 2009
It looks like an interesting adaptation. I like that it seems like the director is kind of taking it his own direction stylistically a bit instead of trying to make a serious duplicate of the book and its settings and character descriptions. I liked that the eyes of T.J. Eckleburg were there too!

The music choice at first seems jarring but the use of more modern music is used for grounding. It's saying, "These people are living in a different time, but they are actually pretty similar to us."

It doesn't really give you much information about what the story is about though. But how would you make a movie trailer for a story like The Great Gatsby? I've been thinking about this since I saw the trailer this morning and can't really come up with any compelling ideas. It's really not a narrative that you can introduce easily in a 2 minute trailer.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
I really enjoyed the trailer. The set pieces look absolutely fantastic, and so do the visuals in general. I'll agree that Leo is throwing me off from Gatsby a bit, but I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.

Mulligan and McGuire look perfect, though, and I'm really happy to see Joel Edgerton getting more work. I think he'll be able to pull off Tom really well.

All in all, I'm very excited. Gatsby is one of my favorite books.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Lady Gaga posted:

It doesn't really give you much information about what the story is about though. But how would you make a movie trailer for a story like The Great Gatsby? I've been thinking about this since I saw the trailer this morning and can't really come up with any compelling ideas. It's really not a narrative that you can introduce easily in a 2 minute trailer.

Yeah, I haven't read it and what I got from the trailer was "Legendary parties! Drama! Legendary parties!"

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Lobok posted:

Yeah, I haven't read it and what I got from the trailer was "Legendary parties! Drama! Legendary parties!"

It's a good introduction to the window dressing that frames the narrative, and underscores the themes.

I'm torn. On one hand the style, pedigree, casting, and source material all have the confidence of a masterwork, but on the other the trailer seems a little too assured that we'll already find it brilliant because of the source material which I personally don't think is the case.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Lobok posted:

And really, that's a pretty good introduction. It doesn't give away a whole lot of the story, but you know what you're gonna get into when you go see it.

edit: I just watched the trailer again, and the beats it really hit are "Who is Gatsby?", the affair between Gatsby and Daisy, the lavish parties, and beautiful shots of 1922 New York City.

Also, this is the kind of role DiCaprio should be taking. He's such a good actor, but every once in a while he takes a role that just makes me go "What are you doing?" Like J. Edgar. He needs to be doing stuff like this, right up his alley.

Yoshifan823 fucked around with this message at 21:02 on May 23, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I love that Amitabh Bachchan is going to be in this movie.

• Locked thread