Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Lobok posted:

Yeah, I haven't read it and what I got from the trailer was "Legendary parties! Drama! Legendary parties!"

It's a good introduction to the window dressing that frames the narrative, and underscores the themes.

I'm torn. On one hand the style, pedigree, casting, and source material all have the confidence of a masterwork, but on the other the trailer seems a little too assured that we'll already find it brilliant because of the source material which I personally don't think is the case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

How the hell did he shoot some of those establishing shots with all the neon signs then? That can't have been cheap.

Plus a lot of those sets look fake as hell anyway. It's a fair stylistic choice to be sure, but one I find deeply unattractive even knowing that the story lends itself to that style.

The impression I got was "here's the new standard you can show to high schoolers because the Robert Redford version is too dated", not really "this is going to be something great that you've never seen before."

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Crappy Jack posted:

What's more, I'm literally playing Steve Jobs in a short film being made next month. So basically at this point if you're not playing Steve Jobs, what the hell is wrong with you?

I was born short and swarthy. Sue me.

ApexAftermath posted:

Holy crap he is annoying. It's just Kutcher being Kutcher while playing dress up as Steve Jobs.

I'll stick with Pirates of Silicon Valley thank you very much.

You say this like it's news. I don't hate Kutcher but he's always been a dude cast for being a tall skinny dreamboat first and an actor second.

mind the walrus fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Jan 25, 2013

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Judging from everyone's reactions, I can only assume I'm dead inside. That trailer didn't really do anything for me, at all.

I'm honestly afraid to say what my problem with the trailer is regardless of scale that tanker should have split in half the way Gypsy Danger heaves it up like a baseball bat because I know it's "blah blah blah fun fun fun."

Plus I'm not a fan of Charlie Day.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

teagone posted:

Transformers doesn't have kaiju or GDT. Also, people complaining about the boat being used as a baseball bat defying physics is sad. Why can't you just enjoy fun things?

:smith:

Eat me. I can swallow things that have no basis in conventional reality, but when those things are used to manipulate an object whose behavior is known and predictable according to the laws of physics I'm hard-pressed to swallow it. I never said the rest of the movie looked bad, just that seeing them go 95% of the way then skimp on the physics at the end was distracting. Plus I even said I was afraid of saying so because people like you would go "oh that's sad" like nitpicking is something I enjoy doing. I don't.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

teagone posted:

This is in regards to a movie where hostile, giant alien monsters go through a portal in the Pacific Ocean that eventually leads to the nations of the world constructing giant combat robots to counter their attacks. Alright.

Way to completely miss my point whilst arguing a point I pre-emptively refuted. You're a clever one.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I wonder what it's like to go through life as a knock-off Shia LeBouf.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

kiimo posted:

Here's our Transcendence trailer with Alcon's contribution*.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHSAbEKWRQk

*bungling counter-productive fiasco.

Gee I wonder if the truth turns out to be somewhere in the middle?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

The way the trailer is cut it looks like he starts doing the very old "beep boop emotions are illogical and irrelevant to my advanced brain I will upload you all now" routine, which you'd think an AI smarter than the sum total of human beings would be above. Y'know, an AI that smart would be smart enough to recognize that it needs to make a case for itself and recognize that most people aren't going to adopt its way of thinking overnight if at all, instead of just hacking the whole internet or whatever and forcing it on humanity with nanomachines.

Now that's probably just the way the trailer is cut and I'm willing to give the movie the benefit of the doubt to impress me, but I really don't hold much optimism in the end.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

The Purge sequel incoming. I'm genuinely impressed with the turnaround on this one, it must have been shot on a shoestring or been half-done when the first one launched or something:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwxDUqE9txQ

It still looks like a cliched "pretty white people get hunted" garbage like the first one, but it's a massive step in the right direction by at least attempting to portray society during the Purge instead of giving us another Home Invasion movie.

Still, even with as juvenile and adolescent an idea as The Purge it still feels like these movies are just barely scratching the surface of what's possible with the premise. I kind-of hate MovieBob but he had a great idea which was "do scientists all band together to perform as much illegal and unethical research as possible during the 12 hours?" I'd like to see that movie way more than "URBAN AMERICA IS SCARY!"

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Eh, I'm of the opinion that these movies should never have been about Home Invasions in the first place, and that this sequel is--at the very most conservative--where the concept should have began to be explored in the first place, but I also recognize I'm basically being a nerd throwing a tantrum because Hollywood won't be the way I think it ought to be. Doesn't mean I'm wrong though.

mind the walrus fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Feb 13, 2014

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

This is going to make so many buckets of money. I really hope it doesn't eclipse Guardians of the Galaxy.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

kiimo posted:

Really? I think it looks terrible and there's this whole fanbase group who hates it. I don't know. It probably will, but it won't get my money.

It won't get mine either, but there are entire generations of kids who either barely know about the Turtles or only have that Nickelodeon show to go on and I guarantee that this movie looks like the most awesome thing they have ever seen in their entire lives based solely on the energy and kinetic flow evident in that trailer. I know if I were 8 and relatively inexperienced with the cliches of summer action flicks I'd think that.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Same. At most I'm just really jaded.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Mr. Squishy posted:

It's a kids movie and you're not a kid anymore, why would you expect to enjoy it?

That's a debate grenade in nerd circles son.

Content:

I know anime is often treated the way garlic is unto vampires around these parts, but I think the exception to the rule would have to be Studio Ghibli unless you're truly a blithering pathetic husk of a goon. Anyway they released a trailer for their next movie and it's very pretty with a very pretty song. It's about a lonely girl who befriends a ghost.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCAjMGl1mJg

And before anyone asks the brown-haired child is a girl and yes I agree she looks really androgynous.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I agree in that it looks really lame. I mean there's just no hook other than the appeal of the actors, which are a talented bunch, but I'm not getting the sense that there's any engine really driving this project other than "it'll make its money back."

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

redcheval posted:

The basic gist of it is Nick's wife has a history of 'punishing' people for perceived transgressions. Nick turns out to be cheating on her after their marriage goes through a massive slump, so she decides to punish him by literally framing him for her murder. This includes direct bodily self-harm to leave DNA evidence at a crime scene she fakes, an elaborate 'treasure hunt' of subtle 'screw you' clues to her husband, and writing a fictional diary stretching years back into the past that steadily ramps up to "I am afraid my husband is going to murder me!". There's a lot more to the BS of it than that though.

I enjoyed reading the book (in an airport, no less) but I am really pleased to hear the ending will be changed.

It's weird that this sounds at once so like a David Fincher ending not just because of Fight Club and something that is nigh-unfilmable without coming across as a lurid "screw you" to audience expectation, like writing a conventional mystery was too hard.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Batman v Superman: Sorry we made a movie about Superman. Here's Batman to make up for it.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I like Cumberbatch as Sherlock but for some reason I find him absolutely insufferable when he's playing real people.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Ooh what are his personal opinions? The only one I know of that's terrible is that he actually thought audiences were shocked that he turned out to be Khan in Into Darkness, which is so delusional on so many levels.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Hey everyone, guess what time it is?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XwJhmqLU0so

I'm looking forward to this like crazy, although I look forward to people on black and white extremes of the spectrum wholly missing how far this trailer alone has gone out of its way to comment on double consciousness and race more. Pretty much no one is going to come out of this film satisfied.

mind the walrus fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Jul 23, 2014

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Did you seriously think an arthouse movie centered around "gently caress whitey" would get funding and distribution and an audience if it didn't have at least some balance? I mean the arthouse crowd is nominally progressive but come the gently caress on.

The best unspoken issue in the trailer--hopefully it will be addressed in the movie--is the issue of class and race. All the cast in the trailer, regardless of race, are firmly in the middle-to-upper class per the university setting and facing issues of race that seem to exclusively favor the middle and upper classes.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I wanted to hate that trailer but there were enough good jokes that I'll probably catch it on cable and enjoy it. Craig Robinson doing "Stay" by Lisa Loeb is way funnier than it has any right to be. Plus it is kind-of refreshing to see a movie capitalize on the implications of the "ultra mega happy ending" of its predecessor.

mind the walrus fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Jul 25, 2014

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Zedd posted:

I haven't seen part 1, but this looks pretty fun. so ill track down 1 now.
Also that cast is pretty much an office reunion isn't it? Daryll, Not-Dwight, Todd Packer?

Todd Packer was David Koechner, not Robb Cordry.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

The problem with the Robocop and Total Recall remakes weren't the originals' age, it was that the originals were clear satires and people were (rightly) afraid that remakes weren't going to feature the same nuance or depth.

Mad Max on the other hand had a much more even ratio of spectacle:substance and can be more easily transplanted into modern movie theaters without losing the appeal of the original.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

davidspackage posted:

And yet I'm still bothered by them appearing to just breathe out of the water. And not suddenly being a plain sponge and petrified starfish on sticks.

"Missing the point post about how this is a cartoon and you should really just relax you sperg :smug:"

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Jonny Angel posted:

It's surprisingly profound, for a narrative about a sponge.

Y'know I've never ever personally seen it, but I resigned myself to not really caring one way or the other like 12 years ago when everyone and their mother proclaimed Spongebob the king of Millennium cartooning. It's a better-than-average kid's cartoon that cribs liberally from the Looney Tunes playbook and has some great one-liners and memorable archetypal characters with great vocal talent. I don't hate it, I think it's really good, but I've never seen the whole "this is AAA cartooning" reputation it has. It just never transcended its trappings into either profundity, emotional resonance, or truly gut-busting comedy in my eyes, but since I never got the impression it was trying to I never begrudged the show itself for that.

That said I was being facetious. I assume you were too but I just wanted to voice how weird it is to me that I don't seem to "get" Spongebob the way the rest of the world does, even if I don't hate the little guy at all.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

No, but thank you. I don't like JJ Abrams stuff.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Oh my god gently caress everything about this movie. It is everything I dislike about these kinds of movies smushed into one trailer. It is a talented cast though.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

It looks very pretty. I'll say that.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

The older ones are probably better labelled Gen X-ers, but they do definitely straddle the line. That is weird.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I'm not hard for Automata like a lot of you seem to be but it does look good overall. The whole "that's like saying you are just an ape" line really seemed sub-par to me, like we have creatives who have a great visual direction and a sense of Asimov's work but lack the scientific knowledge to actually bring it to proper life. I mean it's not a terrible line, but it struck me as a pretty weak analogy at a moment when the trailer and likely the movie really needs to be smart.

The robot voices and music reminded me a LOT of that Deus Ex: Human Revolution trailer too.

My money is that Chappie will be a lot better.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Speaking of trailers I've only found the audio and a description for the Comic-Con trailer for Age of Ultron, but even with just audio it's fantastic. Spader is already killing it.

Here you didn't get this from me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgk3dley4xY

The crowd predictably doesn't shut up at all during the fun opening half, but the AMAZING musical cue in the second half is kept intact.

The trailer began with the familiar heroes (including War Machine) dressed in casual all hanging out at Avengers Tower and attempting to lift Thor’s hammer… without much success. Only Captain America is able to move it (slightly) and Thor’s concerned facial expression is priceless until he smiles when Rogers gives up. The exercise is interrupted by the appearance of Ultron, in a broken down, almost skeletal form with silver armor plating haphazardly forming his upper hunched torso. He proclaims,“There’s only one path to peace: your extinction.” The heroes all stand up facing him and Thor picks up his hammer. This opening was followed by a montage of action shots of selected quotes from the movie, including Tony Stark saying that what happens in the movie is “the end of the path I started us on.” The trailer then offered a first look at the movie’s version of the Hulkbuster armor in action in multiple scenes, and Ultron delivered the excellent line “There are no strings on me.” The trailer concluded with Tony standing in a wasteland with the rest of the Avengers lying on the ground looking a lot worse for wear. Captain America’s shield was broken in half. They were seemingly dead.

Much of the footage featured scenes of The Avengers using their abilities in locations around the world. There was a large emphasis on Iron Man suiting up in the larger Hulkbuster suit which forms around the main suit and him fighting Hulk. Hulk throws a car at the Hulkbuster in one shot and as the car hits him, Hulk punches it into him further. A scene later in the sizzle reel highlighted the mechanisms on the Hulkbuster arms that seem to lock into place to give Iron Man more strength as he and the Hulk punch each other and lock fists.

The first time the crowd goes wild it's because Rhodey shows up and tries to help Stark pick up Thor's hammer, and they're both wearing their armor on their arms.. The second time they go absolutely batshit is written up in my first spoiler. Around 0:45 you can hear Banner beating his chest and roaring as he fails to pick up the hammer, followed by a beat where none of his teammates find the joke funny.

mind the walrus fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Aug 22, 2014

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I watched that just to spite them saying that it wouldn't be online...

.... while was probably their marketing plan all along :downs:

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Lord Tywin posted:

I can't stop laughing over them shooting down some kind of future jets with a bow and a crossbow.

Get used to it. You're going to see that and more with Hawkeye in the next Avengers flick and I don't wanna hear no guff 'about it :colbert:

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

J.Law has been phoning it in ever since she got her Oscar and David O. Russell put her on speed-dial. Now she only does poo poo like X-Men and Hunger Games due to contracting reasons, or to help finance/prop up her "serious" career respectively. This is obvious on its face to anyone who has seen her body of work in the past few years.

Plus the Hunger Games role is... as someone who read the books... the kind-of role where being a pouty, whiny rear end in a top hat without much range is kind-of the point of the character.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

GonSmithe posted:

Oh boo hoo.

He ain't wrong.

It does looks sweet as gently caress, but then again I'd watch Brad Bird make a movie out of the phone book.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

Prometheus and The Leftovers are both pretty great but it's fine if you disagree and don't like him in general! It's just that the "ugh, Lindelof" any time one of his projects gets brought up is a little grating.

That's because Lindelof defenders and haters don't seem to feel anything about him by half. I'm firmly in the "he's loving awful" camp, but I agree that the discourse that comes up every time one his projects is brought up is very grating.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I found this trailer for the glorified web series Powers making the rounds, notable for being a long-delayed adaptation of an early 00s Image comic that was a cop procedural in a city with superhumans and for starring Sharlto Copley:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P02QmncDOzM

Between this and Gotham I really have to ask: Why is it so goddamn hard for people in television to understand what "a cop procedural in a city with superhumans" actually means? Like why do they seem to think that if the story isn't chock full of conventional "superhero tension" and winks to the audience people won't be interested? It's like putting chunks of juicy flavored meat in your noodles-- the noodles themselves are plenty good and the meat is just infrequent enough to be a treat whenever it shows up, it's not a steak with noodles on top.

As absolutely pretentious as this sounds, why can't they look at like the kind-of stylistic approach taken by David Fincher in his potboiler adaptations or the low-key style of True Detective and use that as a reference point? It doesn't need to be cinephile wank fodder like those two but if you'll look at both of them those play to the strengths of the mystery/thriller genre first and let the odd stuff organically seep in around the edges.

mind the walrus fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Oct 13, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Eh for marketing they kind-of have to, but it is still really weird that someone at Time Warner was like "No we're appealing to casual Batman fans only and what casual Batman fans want are loads of references and winks to the audience" instead of just looking at Gotham Central and realizing "oh hey not only would using this as a foundation attract all the casual Batman fans since it's full of references, but those references are laid under a genuinely good cop procedural and said references are actually interesting perspectives on classic material everyone is familiar with." It really is one of those cases where I think the people making the show think a less of the material and fail to realize that they could net the Law & Order crowd and the Batman grognards.

• Locked thread