Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

SneakySneaks posted:

I am way to used to having Mickey Cohen being a flamboyant asshat from the Ellroy books because I've never pictured him on the Capone level of gangster.

Hah, me too. I also more of a Mulholland Falls "Hat Squad" vibe off the Gangster Squad trailer than The Untouchables, but I think that's mostly just me (plus Nick Nolte).

A great trailer nonetheless; strongly raises my interest, as did the one for Argo.

I'd love to hear any details or anecdotes you can share on promo testing when/if you get time, kiimo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

kiimo posted:

I was just thinking that it might not be the greatest idea to talk about testing too much as that falls under a certain kind of "shut the gently caress up, kiimo" category. I can maybe answer some questions without going into specifics.

Oh, absolutely!

I guess I'm mostly curious as to the general process, whether it changes often or a set methodology has been adopted, if the results tend to surprise/satisfy or not, and how strongly the results are taken at face value.

I've been involved in user tests/focus groups for a few software and technology device projects where the process was to primarily confirm design hunches and provide "concrete" evidence (subject to incredible amounts of interpretation bias) of consumer needs, demand, and expectations. Films are obviously far more susceptible to personal tastes, odd biases (folks who love/hate particular actors), and rapidly changing trends so I'm wondering about how the movie industry differs in it's approach to quantify, extrapolate, and trust.

"It's complicated, varies and success is judged in retrospect" is a valid response, of course!

Edit as a more concrete question comes to mind: Given that multiple trailer versions are generally created for modern primo properties, is there a number cruncher somewhere who tracks and analyses all their views, feedback, "social engagement" data, etc, and then instructs the vendors/creative leads accordingly: "more explosions, less dubstep."

ynohtna fucked around with this message at 05:59 on May 10, 2012

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

AndyP posted:

Gonna be honest, I had no idea Argento was still alive.

I'd say that the good one isn't, only a weakly possessed doppleganger remains.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

quote:

What were they trying to keep out?

MATT DAMON

:v:

e: "We're gonna need a greater wall"

ynohtna fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Jul 28, 2016

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
In retrospect, I obviously fell asleep during every one of the Lord of the Ring films to maximise my simultaneous task performance and entertainment metrics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
Y'all checked out Rob Ager's recent breakdown of Dillon's death scene?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=stg13-GQQ1U

(I swear on my original VHS version you could see his real arm after the fake stump is lasered off (still firing, so ridiculously cool.)

• Locked thread