Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arthe Xavier
Apr 22, 2007

Artificial Stupidity

kaujot posted:

Paul Thomas Anderon's The Master gets a trailer (teaser? Whatever, it's finally here!) and it is hypnotic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9oZDKFoCqAw

One of the best trailers I have seen in quite some time. It is the music and the haunting look of Joaquin Phoenix that really sells it ( and, well, the fact that it is a new movie by Paul Thomas Anderson, who is one of my favorite directors ). Amazing. I always thought of Phoenix as a really good actor, too, so I can't wait to see what Anderson squeezes out of him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arthe Xavier
Apr 22, 2007

Artificial Stupidity

Waffles Inc. posted:

Yeah Knoxville really is the heart and soul of it. Pound for pound I think he's one of the most naturally charismatic people maybe ever.

Knoxville is amazing :swoon:

I agree. There's just something so inherently likeable about him that you can't help but to be infected by his enthusiasm and laughter. He seems to be a genuinely nice guy with a strange ( but wonderful ) sense of humor. Jackass wouldn't be what it is without him.

The whole cast is great, though - the brotherly bond between them shows on screen. For me, the Jackass movies aren't just funny: they're some of the most humane films I've seen. Granted that it explores humanity through humiliating and painful stunts and pranks, but I get the feel that Johnny and co. are much more observant and intelligent ( as entertainers ) as would seem on the surface. When we talk about entertaining movie-theater experiences, midnight-showings of Jackass films are at the very top for me too.

Arthe Xavier
Apr 22, 2007

Artificial Stupidity

C2C - 2.0 posted:

:hfive:

He just absolutely kills every role he takes. Hell, even in the midst of his insanity, him playing "himself" in that bio-pic was pretty good too.

I agree - Joaquin really is one of the most talented actors of his generation. Guess he went to fulfill the potential River had...

Arthe Xavier
Apr 22, 2007

Artificial Stupidity

bullet3 posted:

No, its that the serious-ness is laughable. I actually think a dark gritty 70s style car-chase movie would be a refreshing way to go and would seperate Need For Speed from the Fast & Furious movies, it just looks like what a 13 year old thinks is dark and gritty. Aaron Paul can't make that voice-over work, sorry.

I have to disagree. Aaron Paul does make that voice-over work, and I thought the trailer was quite beautiful. I clicked 'play' expecting something much worse, but the trailer surprised me, and the movie certainly has my attention now.

Plus, it's great to see Aaron getting a lead role in a big-budget movie. He is stellar in Breaking Bad and deserves new opportunities.

Arthe Xavier
Apr 22, 2007

Artificial Stupidity

OldSenileGuy posted:

I don't know how to process this - I'm seeing Jonah Hill in a movie trailer and it's not filling me with rage. :psyduck:

It's kind of incredible how Jonah Hill has progressed from this rather annoying presence into an actor I actually like watching. His career choices ( or should I say opportunities? ) have been amazing as of late.

Edit: Second billing in a Martin Scorsese movie. Not bad for a kid who started out as a foul-mouthed brat in Superbad!

Arthe Xavier
Apr 22, 2007

Artificial Stupidity

ReV VAdAUL posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6t7vVTxaic

Selma, the upcoming MLK Jr biopic looks pretty darn good.

The comeback of Cuba Gooding Jr.? Looks promising!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arthe Xavier
Apr 22, 2007

Artificial Stupidity

My #1 most anticipated movie right here. Day-Lewis + Anderson is the best duo since Scorsese + De Niro.

• Locked thread