Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
I love, love, love the original trailer for District 9.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DyLUwOcR5pk

I hadn't heard a word about the movie when I first saw this trailer and I was totally blown away. Brilliant.

Edit: Of course, the trailer I saw had no subtitles in the end and the prawn's face was blurred out, but I couldn't find that one on youtube.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Mr. Squishy posted:

Worried that it will explicitly state at the end that it was the hand of god which sets that plane down safely, sort of like Contact or Signs. Did anyone else get that sense from the trailer?

I'm sorry but I'm pretty sure Contact never once says that the hand of god or any reasonable facsimile does anything whatsoever in that movie, it's about as atheistic as movies come, and the themes of faith are actually themes of faith in our fellow man and not deities, this is one of my favorite movies so I felt like it was necessary to correct you. Signs, on the other hand, is a very apt choice to refer to.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Jewmanji posted:

I hope you're right, but I think it's being very generous to call The Hurt Locker subversive. Frankly I thought it was one of the most high-profile pro-war movies to come out in a long time.

But... Wasn't the entire premise of the movie how war irreparably harms the mind?

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

qntm posted:

I actually had to go to Wikipedia to work out that what he's saying is "The 007 of Plainfield, New Jersey". Just putting that there in case anybody else has never heard of Plainfield, New Jersey and thinks he's talking about playing fields or something.

You probably made this mistake not because you've never heard of Plainfield, New Jersey, but because you're an idiot.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

GD_American posted:

I don't expect a documentary level of reverence for the truth, and I'm fine with needed fictionalizations. I'm just saying I hope no EOD danger junkies that are also crack snipers who hunt terrorists by themselves (when they magically find them two blocks from the bombing) manage to find their way into this movie and she's, you know, actually hired a military advisor of some sort.

I like Bigelow. She does good work, and I'm looking forward to this. All I'm saying is I hope she realizes she shouldn't soap opera the poo poo out of the characters in this one.

What's wrong with making things extremely dramatic?

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

GD_American posted:

Absolutely nothing? :confused:

I was using "making things extremely dramatic" as a euphemism for "soap opera the poo poo out of" without the stigma.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
The tone's kind of off for that JDATE trailer. I think if you tried splicing both trailers together you would have the right tone. Here's the first one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Ot7kFjUcrs

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
I'm already astounded by the number of people who are dismissing it because the living dead do not move at a snail's pace.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
Zombies aren't scary because you can kill them. You know what would be more dangerous? Zombies that don't die from head trauma. Has this ever been explored cinematically? It "makes more sense," in that why would destroying a dead dude's brain make him deader.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

ProfessorProf posted:

I really, really hope that Pacific Rim doesn't turn out to be Cloverfield with Robots.
Why?

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Zzulu posted:

Maybe the aliens actually won the war and is loving with his mind and making him snuff out the survivors of the human race unknowingly :smugdog:

Dude spoilers!!

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

BlueBayou posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m12geJhxPls

Even the trailer has a twist!!! Oh M Night. Will you ever make another good movie?

This is gonna make a killer double feature with Pursuit of Happyness.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Slackerish posted:

The new trailer looks fantastic but I still have to be pessimistic- Watchmen had an amazing trailer too, after all..

And Watchmen turned out to be a fantastic and forward-thinking adaptation with little lost in the translation. What's your point?

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

tvb posted:

Anyone interested in this movie should read the series of articles on which it is based. It's a really fascinating story, and the casting of Dwayne Johnson is absolutely spot-on. Really, really excited for this movie.

Which character is The Rock supposed to be playing?

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Benne posted:

I'm guessing Weekes, the guy who came from New York, but with a different name for some reason.

Ed Harris as Du Bois is just inspired casting.
The whole cast is perfect. I can't think of a better role for Wahlberg.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Deadpool posted:

Probably not safe to watch at work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvDLWlxxcak

:stare:

Jesus Christ.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3ALwKeSEYs

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Jedit posted:

Any chance of telling us what it is?

It's an incredible trailer for the remake of The Evil Dead.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Alhazred posted:

The remake loses all subtlety that original had, everything have to be super scary and shocking. A good example is the death faces. In the original the victims looks like something bad happened to them but the remake makes it so over the top that it almost becomes funny:

Well, when you freeze frame it like that, yeah. In the remake it's edited in such a way that it looks like something really horrible happened to the characters, but you don't get a good enough look to judge for yourself and are left with a fleeting glimpse of someone's scary death face.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

GonSmithe posted:

During the Olympics this year when Gabby Douglas finished one of her rounds they cut to a commercial with monkeys and said something like "See? Even monkies can do it!"

DivisionPost posted:

This is nothing for NBC. After Gabby Douglas won her gold medal in gymnastics, NBC ran this ad:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fs9FR4cr6qE

It's a terrible, terrible ad made exponentially worse by timing.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
If I recall, it was filmed over a weekend with an iPhone or some equally lo-fi pseudocamera.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Gonz posted:

Was it ever explained why humanity had abandoned Earth for several miillenia, and why seemingly every species on the planet transformed into demon monster killing machines since they've been gone?

It probably will be explained during the movie!!

Edit: Forgot it was an M. Night movie. The first thing will probably be explained during the movie

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
At least it doesn't look like 2004's Dawn of the Dead, like every other zombie anything that has come out since.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Haha this looks incredible.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

live with fruit posted:

Based on the trailer (which, admittedly, is next to nothing), it seems like they're playing the Schiller character more antagonistic and the torture more comical.

Which is fitting, since Schiller was a white-collar criminal.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
Real-life spoilers, subject to change in the film: Schiller stole 14 million dollars from Medicare patients. He definitely does not deserve sympathy. Schiller's a piece of poo poo, Lugo and pals are just terrible idiots.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

DNS posted:

So he doesn't deserve sympathy for being extorted, tortured and nearly murdered, because he also committed a crime? C'mon...

Do you know about schadenfreude? It's the feeling of satisfaction you get when bad poo poo happens to people you don't like. In the case of Pain & Gain, specifically the extortion and torture of Schiller, every involved person is a horrible fucker. If there was ever a real-life torture and attempted murder to make light of, this is the one.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Man that looks almost as good as Pineapple Express 2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sW67OiY7xVw

Haha this owns. Watch this after you watch the trailer in the post before the post I'm quoting in this post.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Gonz posted:

New viral TV spot for Man of Steel:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6g2ZSuWyM4

Kneel before Nelson van Alden, you fools.

Just wanna say, I fuckin love this effect. Introducing to the cool new digital version of VHS scan lines, everyone! Relish in how much cooler it is to look at, how much more frightening it will probably be in horror movies! Check out this great effect!

Edit: In case you're not clear what effect I'm talking about, here's a music video with a million examples (please tolerate the mediocre garden rock):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvqakws0CeU

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Deadpool posted:

Oh my, they've gone and messed up all their key frames!

It's cool, right? I've seen this glitch occur in the wild! It's a good-looking, accurate to real life video error effect! No more need for goofy fake glitch effects! Life is finally beyond imitating art, and is creating it instead!

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Zzulu posted:

More robots, man. Pacific Rim Wondercon Trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95x0uk6bz_0

This trailer is incredible.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
Now You See Me looks like a Skyline-esque auteur venture from an effects studio that wants to show off how cool and creative their artists are, I wouldn't be surprised if the story is a little crazy.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

muscles like this? posted:

He also makes some really terrible movies like how in 2012 he kills off the rival love interest for no reason other than it made it easier for John Cusack to get back together with his ex.

That's an excellent screenwriting move, with precedent in Gone With the Wind

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

ApexAftermath posted:

Miss Congeniality.

Miss Congeniality is excellent.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Life is Beautiful is a movie that basically everyone nowadays agrees is a saccharine piece of poo poo.

Saccharine yeah but there's nothing wrong with that. Call it a piece of poo poo and you and I got beef dawg.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I really, really don't like that movie but would probably need a gun to my head to watch it again. So why's it good?

It's got a really good script! It's really well acted and directed too! Frankly there's nothing wrong with it, at all.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Vagabundo posted:

Good to know it's going to be more like Pitch Black than the stupid bullshit that was Chronicles of Riddick.

Chronicles of Riddick owns and is a really cool Conan-style D&D adventure put to screen! Put aside your cynicism gentlemen, today is the age of enjoyment

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
I've done a 180 on Sandra Bullock after seeing The Heat, the same 180 I did on Channing Tatum after 21Jump Street. She's legit and I'll dig her in Gravity.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

CaptainHollywood posted:

Think about it. Those movies were all about INTRODUCING a new character. When the last time you've seen that? In fact who is the last ICONIC character introduced by film?

Uhhhh, Benjamin Franklin Gates?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4bKUv_0_mY

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

muscles like this? posted:

Eh, I'd never heard of the movie before and could get the gist of the plot for it. Which is more than I could say for Life of Pi.

You really couldn't figure out from any of the Life of Pi trailers that the movie was about a dude stranded on a boat with a tiger? It's an extremely simple premise man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

ghostwritingduck posted:

I have avoided Jackass, but I actually laughed while watching this trailer.

Why have you avoided Jackass? Do you dislike the purest, oldest form of comedy?

• Locked thread