Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Truancy-Bot posted:

I'm assuming it's because the "trailer voice over" stereotype has been parodied so heavily in popular culture in the past decade or so, to the point where audiences no longer take it seriously.

Also the most well known trailer V.O. guy died.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

exquisite tea posted:

I love that Amitabh Bachchan is going to be in this movie.

Oh, THAT'S who that is. He's looking like the Dos Equis guy nowadays.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
That really is an expensive version of The Raid with a hilarious bonus of the supercop using white phosphorous on civilians.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
He looks like loving Ice-T.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Alhazred posted:

Man, people seriously needs to stop using the Man Comes Around.

There really should a moratorium on using Johnny Cash songs in trailers. At least for a little bit.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Dr.Oblivious posted:

So the Red Dawn remake is apparently still a thing.

ET promo of the movie :cripes:

It's been done for a while. They just shelved it.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I think he's just saying that that's clearly what he says, Plainfield is the name of a town (every state has one probably) and New Jersey is the name of a state.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
On a side note I wish Bruce Willis would start rocking a mustache again.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
World War Z did not make a good book so I'm glad this is a total departure.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Usually Hollywood is pretty gun-shy about retrying a failed idea (The Brothers Grimm) and this looks easily as bad so who knows what the thinking was behind this.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

bows1 posted:

The Iceman starring Michael Shannon and Chris Evans. Looks great

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eI6YE0xGCjo

I still don't really know what to make of this movie.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

bows1 posted:

Have you seen it?

Nah, I mean of the trailers for it. I really want to see it, though.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

kiimo posted:

Very few things set off my pretentiousness alarm like modern day settings for Shakespeare plays with the original language.

That's not really the problem with it, watching that clip.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

penismightier posted:

Jesus Christ if anyone ever was born to film average television, it's Joss "eh this set-up is probably ok" Whedon. That's the sloppiest black and white I've seen outside of a student film, ever.

Yeah. I hate that it's become such a cliche to dismiss the "tv-ness" of Whedon's productions but his directing style is so uninteresting. It's unfair to compare it to TV almost, the average Law and Order SVU episode looks better (to be fair they're expensive as hell to make). It doesn't look as good as commercials, it's like barely as good as the typical Hallmark Channel movie.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
It's like the only trick he's learned is shot-reverse shot. Not every single scene needs to be a head-on, flat close up of someone talking, or two people side by side symmetrically filling the frame. It's so unimaginative.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Mar 8, 2013

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I feel like saying that despite (or maybe because of) the show being extremely formulaic, Kitchen Nightmares is actually pretty well shot, and since reality shows are so aggressively edited you could probably learn all the camera setups and movement you could care to learn on Survivor. I blame Whedon.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

BonoMan posted:

Kitchen Nightmares is definitely better shot than other shows. They have pretty decent B-Roll shots. However they also typically have good color grading that maybe offsets the "Reality show footage" of it. It typically gives it more of a cinematic feel. This, of course, can't benefit from that unfortunately.

I'd definitely agree, except Kitchen Nightmares U.K. looked way better and was a much less rigid and formulaic show. But yeah, I would think shooting commercials, music videos or reality shows is like a crash course in how to film something.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I just want to see if they're going to put "time to see what evil dick tastes like" in it this movie.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I am hugely biased against the book so I'm tempted to just say the trailer looks a million times better than whatever a "real" adaptation of the book would be.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Deadpool posted:

Just because you hated the book doesn't mean that makes the movie look good. I read it years ago and barely remember it. The trailer could be taken right from the book and I'd have no idea. Whether it is or isn't close to the book doesn't change the fact that it looks rather terrible.

You should read what I wrote. I said I was tempted to say it looked great just to spite the book but I don't care that much. I do like a lot of the anthill/human tide imagery.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

ApexAftermath posted:

All of you that hated the book, just curious what you hated about it exactly?

Shallow, circumspect take on culture as seen from the Krusty Burger map.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
The reason that books like Studs Terkel's "Working" and Mischa Glenny's "McMafia" are excellent books is because they're impeccably researched, giving the interview subjects respect to tell their stories in the former and the willingness of the author to immerse themselves in actual research to translate into "creative nonfiction". Apply this to Mark Bowden, or whoever else you're familiar with or prefer reading.

Now take all that away, and instead use glib stereotypes to tell your sweeping journalistic epic. It's like a Thomas Friedman book about zombies.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Warday is a young adult novel but it is far better written than WWZ.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Paxton was absolutely fantastic on Big Love, it made me appreciate his acting a lot better.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I find it weird that Benedict Cumberbatch is oddly well cast as Chris Cooper's son. I never would've thought to do that.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

The Cameo posted:

What about Driving Miss Daisy or Rain Man?

Both easily better than Crash.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Life is Beautiful is a movie that basically everyone nowadays agrees is a saccharine piece of poo poo.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

scary ghost dog posted:

Saccharine yeah but there's nothing wrong with that. Call it a piece of poo poo and you and I got beef dawg.

I really, really don't like that movie but would probably need a gun to my head to watch it again. So why's it good?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

scary ghost dog posted:

It's got a really good script! It's really well acted and directed too! Frankly there's nothing wrong with it, at all.

I hate you.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I like Miss Congeniality. It makes a good double bill with Election.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Boy, I sure wish Robert Rodriguez still made movies I could actually watch.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I really like that teaser far better than the actual trailer.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

LesterGroans posted:

The teaser was basically an awesome little short film. That being said, I watch whatever James Wan wants me to.

Same here. He's My Guy (tm).

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Stunning stuff, as usual. Lars is such a cheeky bastard.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I like Taylor Kitsch. He is perfectly affable.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

scary ghost dog posted:

The Jackass movies are the funniest, purest, most creative comedies ever produced.

2 in particular is a masterpiece and is one of the funniest movies I've ever seen in my life. No one on Earth hates physical comedy!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Jackass is an attempt to imitate what idiots do in real life.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
The big overarching joke in Jackass 2 is the concept of human dignity.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Whenever I see movies like that, I always feel like the star is behind on child support payments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

DNS posted:

I have to admire how effective a trailer that is for one of the most :psypop: movies ever made.

Seriously, how in the world would you even make a Dreamcatcher trailer? It's totally batshit.

• Locked thread