Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
I really love both Argo and Gangster Squad. Argo because it get me excited for the film, and Gangster Squad because I love the editing in it. Trailer editing is something I am considering for after I graduate, and seeing a well edited trailer pumps me the gently caress up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Robert Denby posted:

So besides Cameron, there's another director fond of the 'special shoot' teaser; none other than Steven Spielberg, who has had to my knowledge six films with these kinds of trailers.

1989: Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
1991: Hook
1993: Jurassic Park
1997: The Lost World
2005: War of the Worlds

The first special shoot trailer he did though, was in 1978, for one of his few financial disappointments; the infamous "1941". John Milius directed this recruitment-film-spoofing teaser starring John Belushi which debuted a full year before the film did. Notice Belushi's character is introduced as Wild Wayne Kelso. In the film, he's Wild Bill Kelso.

"1941" certainly wasn't a disappointment for lack of publicity. There was another special shoot trailer for the film made using the impressive miniature sets.

EDIT: Fixed grammar and BBcodes.

That Hook one is awesome. I can't believe I've never seen it before.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

davidspackage posted:

I've a special love for trailers that are far better than the movie they advertize.

I still love the second trailer released for Clash of the Titans (the remake), even though the movie is boring.

I remember when that trailer came out, someone on the forums said "Wow, That trailer just netted them an extra 20 mil opening weekend." because drat, it made everyone want to see it. I know I loved the music matching up to the scorpion stings.

Shame about the movie.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

kiimo posted:

Are you saying you didn't like The Watchmen? Because I freakin LOVE that movie.

A lot of people didn't seem to like it. A lot of people are silly.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

One of my all time favorite teaser trailers is this one for A Nightmare on Elm Street Part III

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGNHdsZi3v0

Freddy is just around the corner.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Maxwell Lord posted:

Another common quotation is "The Office" from Michael Kamen's score for Brazil. (Starts at around 0:20)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dvo6ChoKCF4

The trailers for Wall-E used this and it was perfect.

Edit: Oh come on.

TheBigBudgetSequel fucked around with this message at 15:58 on May 29, 2012

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Ishamael posted:

So, the trailer for the musical version of Les Miserables is out, and I have to say, it looks pretty excellent. It has the epic scope that it should, and Jackman looks great as Valjean.

Now the big question will be - can the 2 big stars (Jackman and Crowe) pull off the vocals? Gerard Butler's weak performance as the Phantom tanked that movie, hopefully these 2 can hold their own. Jackman has a strong theater background, but I don't know if I have ever heard Crowe sing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3uUTKOUhZU

Don't worry about Jackman. The man can sing like a bird. I have the London Cast version of Oklahoma! soundtrack, and he's loving great in it. I have no doubt he'll be perfect.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

kiimo posted:

So...that's the best take they could get from Anne Hathaway?

Ugh. Go away forever Anne Hathaway.

Your taste in actors never fails to amuse me, kiimo.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

I think only one member of the movie cast has ever been in a Les Mis production before, so, that's a whole lot of bitching.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

When I went to see Wall-E opening night, the projectionist screwed up and put two copies of that trailer on the film, one right after the other. When it started again, a young kid went "Are you kidding me?!'

Needless to say, it was a laugh riot.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

I like everything he did up through The Villiage* and after that I think it all went to pot, but in my optimistic mind, I think he could be good again.

*Yes I like The Village. i knew it wasn't the movie it was advertised when I went in, and I love all the acting in it so much (Besides Adrian Brody, but that's just hilarious.)

Also, an M. Night movie means we get a goddamn good score from James Newton Howard, so I am all about it, even if I don't see the movie.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Well, considering they are full blown working adults in the first one, it's not much of a stretch to say they were in college in the 70s.

Making Mike a Disco ball is amazing, and I am psyched for this.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Maarak posted:

Dredd trailer dropped:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rb4aYU5vsc

Plot seems to be very close to The Raid, which is a bit odd.

Haha, it is like The Raid. That kind of rules. I wasn't really looking forward to it, but now, I think I'm excitied.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Maarak posted:

I cannot imagine it being better than The Raid though, so unless there's something else to it I think I'll just stick to the gorgeous looking Stallone movie.

Come now. Give a film a chance.

Of course it won't be better than The Raid. That doesn't mean it won't be fun. It looks like a lot of fun.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Uh. Here's a thing. Not sure if it's a real thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCQVcckG4-M

My god, the Narration. Who approved the narration? Who approved anything about this, actually.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

I think that looks rather sweet. Of course, I loved Little Miss Sunshine, so I might be smack dab in the middle of the target audience.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

kiimo posted:

That's not really the reason, it is getting pushed (which is happening) to disassociate it with this tragedy. You can call it Studio Damage Control 101 but really it only makes sense, nothing nefarious here just doing what they should. They may still re-shoot the scene though. That remains to be seen.

WB has always been one of my favorite studios, and I have to say, they have been doing nothing but great things when it comes to responding to this event. I think re-cutting it might be a bit much, but pushing it back makes sense.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

muscles like this? posted:

New trailer for John Dies at the End. Looks like its going to be a pretty faithful adaptation. Whether that means its going to be a good movie or not remains to be seen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wQI3T3KeNQ

Having seen it, I can say it's a good movie, albiet very loving weird. Of course, they apparently changed some things since I saw it, so it may be better or worse than when I saw it.

I haven't read the book though, so I can't speak to how faithful it is beyond hearing Corsacarelli talk about what he had to cut out (a lot, apparently) to make it work as a feature film. He did note that he had David Wong's blessing to tweak it as he saw fit to make it work.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

I am amazed by the "flowing body of water" horde of zombies. That's kind of brilliant and kind of stupid at the same time.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

WickedIcon posted:

This is the correct answer. Trailer owned, movie owned, the fact that neither of them have reached iconic status yet annoys me. :colbert:

The trailer was indeed amazing. The movie on the other hand, well, we'll just have to agree to disagree. I hate seeing Fincher color by numbers.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

feedmyleg posted:

Holy poo poo does the Lone Ranger trailer look awful. Just goddamn awful.

In all seriousness, you know what would have made that trailer work for me? The goddamn Native American werwolf drug-induced fever dreams that were the only interesting part about the original pitch. That got cut.

I still think it looks interesting, however...

"FROM THE PEOPLE WHO BROUGHT YOU"

SKULL AND TORCHES!

was the stupidest thing.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

muscles like this? posted:

The very first movie is more of a straight horror film, Evil Dead 2 (which is basically a remake of the first movie) is where they started adding slightly comedic elements to it. While Army of Darkness (which is the third movie and a direct sequel to Evil Dead 2) is just straight up silly.

It's not REALLY a remake though. Evil Dead II starts with a quick recap of the events of the first film, simply because Sam couldn't get the rights to footage from the first film to use as flashback.

I am a huge fan of the creepy loving ideas behind the first Evil Dead. The concept is scary as hell. The remake seems to be embracing it 100% and with the budget to do it. I am beyond excited.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

LesterGroans posted:

(arguably)Texas Chainsaw Massacre, The Last House on the Left, Friday the 13th, = good horror remakes.

Yes sir. They are indeed.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

I will see all these White House hostage movies.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's Gore Verbinski spending all of Disney's money. My rear end is in the seat already.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

"Hey! Hey Guys! Do you like Acadmey Award Nominated Actors?! Do you?! Cause we got em' Just stackin' em up. Hey, where are you guys going?"

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

DivisionPost posted:

Well, at least I laughed for a solid half-minute.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_IjM63FH2o

I'll admit it, I chuckled, especially at the Sheen/Estevez reveal.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Steve Yun posted:

Film composition question: in the top screenshot, the boxcutter is in his left hand. Then in the second shot it's in his right hand. Is there a reason for this? My guess is visual continuity... the trash can becomes the ceiling light, the line on the floor becomes the line on the ceiling, and the box cutter stays on the right side of the screen. Does that sound right?

It's called breaking the axis. It's something I've been taught is a rule that cannot be broken...except for when it can, then gently caress it. But it is a trailer, so in the film, the shots may match more.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

kiimo posted:

We still use voice talent all the time and also do ADR, just mostly for TV. A lot of actors are into the idea of ADR now. Jon Hamm did voiceover for an episode of Mad Men and was so good at it he does it for commercials all the time now.

The way they do voice work is different too, the "in a world" thing is gone but there are several spots in each campaign where they use it. For some types of films it's just better to use actual dialogue to create the story rather than someone telling you what the story is. It's more captivating.

I always like the British guy they got for the Harry Potter trailers and TV spots.

"Only in Cinemas this July" rolls off his tongue pretty drat well.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Man, Enders Game is sure trying hard to make sure I never ever see it.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

matrocious posted:

I don't know. Harrison Ford's voice over work is Blade Runner-esque.

See, You say "Harrison Ford" "Voice Over" and "Blade Runner" in the same sentence, and it's not exactly confidence inspiring.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

kiimo posted:

That trailer isn't finished though. It still has a burn-in and is leaked. In finishing you clean up a trailer's color and sound a lot and polish it up a lot before it goes out into the world. That trailer still looks rough.

this isn't the first time it's leaked, either. It leaked a month or so ago, and it's the same trailer, with the same "DO NOT RELEASE" watermark. It's just to drum up interest for the film, and to nab a distributor, I think.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

If you thought that Gravity trailer was simply too good and you need a trailer to bring you back to reality, here, watch the first official trailer for the Robocop remake coming out next year! :haw:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INmtQXUXez8

What if I like this trailer and think you are being whiny?

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

DivisionPost posted:

Yeah, but see, as much as I like this trailer, there are a LOT of people whom I respect that absolutely despise it. This includes Jeremy "Mr. Beaks" Smith, who is hands down the ONLY reason to visit AICN. It could be because he and his ilk can smell bullshit coming from farther away than I can, or his attachment to the original is too strong (which I certainly wouldn't fault him for, especially if Robocop played a huge role in his childhood).

Since I apparently need other people to make up my mind for me, the situation really sucks. :shrug:

Mr. Beaks has been known to be wrong about things though. Him and Devin Faraci often latch onto opinions early and never drop them, regardless of the final product.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Man, a movie with Rutger Hauer as Van Helsing shouldn't be that lovely.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

DivisionPost posted:

See, I love Aaron Paul and I'm down to support him in any piece of crap he makes, including adaptations of video games that have literally nothing to adapt, except the concept of this trailer seems so cool, but it's in service to something that seems so lame, and I wonder if I'm just forcing myself to love it because I love Aaron Paul and I'm down to support him OH GOD HELP

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsrJWUVoXeM

This is a forum that adores the Fast and Furious franchise. Don't feel bad about liking that trailer.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

:stare:

I knew most of the LotR trilogy and the first Hobbit used a lot of on location shots in New Zealand, but in this trailer, a lot of the locations looked like they were done with CG, whether they were entirely composed in CG or a mixture of CG and real world locations. Is that not the case?

The Hobbit films were mostly shot at the same time as each other (like with LOTR) and so the techniques used will be the same as the previous film. LOTR had a ton of CGI enviroments too. In those films they were augmented with real locations and polystyrene miniatures. The miniatures were unfilmable for the 3D and Frame Rate Jackson wanted for the Hobbit films so they went all Digital for anything that need to be enviroments, but these films had an entire unit devoted to going out and filming New Zealand countrysides.

There is a high gloss to the footage because of their post production, but there is a lot of New Zealand happening in all three of The Hobbit films.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

kiimo posted:

I don't know where it is but another Godzilla trailer leaked. Happy hunting.

WB: The leakiest boat.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Dexo posted:

It's time to see just how short we can make a sneak peak.

I assume it was made for Vine or Instagram. Studios are doing that now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Opinions on the content aside, that trailer is so badly put together. Almost killed my interest in the film dead

• Locked thread