Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe

kiimo posted:

Personally I would have gone in a bit of a different direction but maybe that's why I'm not the boss.

I think that the attempt is to show that this is NOT Public Enemies. This is NOT LA Confidential. This is NOT The Untouchables. This is unique, this is new.

And yeah it is Gosling and Stone again and that plays a huge part in the trailer but you should see the numbers on how much recognition they get in the general public.

Yeah, I was hoping for something more like L.A. Confidential, so I wasn't really feeling it. That's where it can be tricky when you're judging trailers - sometimes you're just judging the movie. I honestly didn't get new and unique from it though, it strongly brought to mind The Untouchables - Penn's Cohen, especially, seems an echo of De Niro as Capone. Perhaps not in the particulars of the character and performance, but just in the casting itself and the way it's emphasized in the selling. And of course the multi-ethnic team of agents specially picked to take down one excessively-powerful crime boss.

When a period movie is packaged with a lot of rowdy modern music, it tells me that they're aggressively selling it to the young male demo - a lot of the time its done with slammin guitars instead of rap, but the net effect is similar. But it seems pretty well done for that sort of thing*, and the cast is so good that I'm still interested even though I now have the sense that the movie isn't really for me.

*Contrast with the terrible trailer for the terrible Texas Rangers, which is only one example of many but was the first to spring to mind:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKDH5S3NMuw

Hey, you know what movie has a great trailer? American Gangster. I was going to post it anyway just because I like it, but it strikes me that there's some useful parallels to Gangster Squad's. They both use Jay-Z songs, but American Gangster uses "Heart Of The City (Ain't No Love)," one of the better tracks off his last good album, and it's built around samples from Bobby Bland's early-mid 70s soul/R&B classic "Ain't No Love In The Heart Of The City" - a song that speaks pretty directly and instantly to the period, themes and setting of the film. It's a modern touch, and yet it lets you know that the movie isn't scared of its period setting, and it works with the imagery to rapidly establish a mood and atmosphere.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6s8pW4iGcj8

Gangster Squad uses the Just Blaze banger "Oh My God" off Jay's lovely comeback album, and I guess it's kind of exciting and cacophonous, which matches the action-heavy clips. I don't think it really helps creates a mood aside from one of testosterone-pumping mayhem. And that's fine, it's a different movie and maybe they're just being true to it.

(You can argue that American Gangster has it easier in terms of musical options, because there's simply a lot more cool, recognizable music out there that evokes early 70s New York City than there is stuff that does the same for late 40's-early 50s L.A., while also staying true to the mood of a tough crime drama. And that's probably true.)

But American Gangster also sets up its main characters and whets your appetite to be told a juicy story on a grand scale. (It actually hits that sweet spot you love with a trailer, where it can do all that while not revealing too many specifics of the story - the doesn't give you too many snippets, but the ones you do get are really intriguing and seem to form a larger picture.) I think no matter how the trends in blockbuster filmmaking change, audiences always respond to the promise of being told a good story with interesting characters. Some movies have advertising campaigns where it just seems like they forgot to mention that there's a story & characters at all (John Carter), and I believe that's the key to why they are often received indifferently.

I'm not making that charge of Gangster Squad, it's too early and I'm assuming there will be a second trailer which presents more of a narrative instead of simply a setting and premise. But even speaking as a guy who's already familiar with Mickey Cohen and William Parker and organized crime of the era, I don't feel like I have a picture of who anybody is except in the most broad stroke ways - here's a gangster, here's the guys going after him, here's a splash of romance on the side. None of it grips me. If you want to be something that's more than just L.A. Confidential meets The Untouchables, you gotta get detailed, you gotta make your mark.

(At this point I'm sort of bleeding into a tangent, which is that the material matters - people like to think advertising can sell anything, but it must be really hard to make a compelling trailer out of crap. I'm sure nobody on the planet could make Texas Rangers up there look good. Of course there's been a ton of great trailers for middling-to-bad movies, but they usually seize on the things that are interesting about the film and proceed to turn chicken poo poo into chicken salad. If Gangster Squad is truly just cardboard X meets X bullshit, then it's tough to present it as something unique - but if there is something deeper going on there, then I think you have to key in on it and promote that and not just more guns, gangsters and dames.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Nolan trailers always seem to follow the same 3-step pattern.

Trailer 1 - The Teaser:
Dark Knight, Inception, Dark Knight Rises
Trailer 2 - The Story:
Trailer 3 - This will get your rear end in the theater, it'll also be kinda spoilery

And they're all loving awesome.

As for adding one of my favorites, the first teaser for Wall-E was just amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAWIIlXNGwY

I wonder if Kiimo he has any insight as to how Nolan's trailers have become so distinct. You pretty much know one as soon as it begins. Have they used the same vendor every time? Is Nolan himself involved on any level? He has a close relationship with Warner Brothers, has that facilitated the creating of this consistent Nolan 'brand'? You would love for every trailer to be as good as The Dark Knight's, but perhaps that would also require more movies be like TDK.

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe
The thing about trendsetting trailers is when you look back on them with enough distance they often seem less fresh and interesting, I suppose due to being ripped off so much, and perhaps also the glib nature of advertising. Plenty of them do stand the test of time though. Kubrick always cut some incredible trailers:

The Shining

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6qDqdYY6-Y

Speaks for itself.

Eyes Wide Shut

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIAneEiWEJ4

Always loved this one. I was 13 when this trailer debuted, I'd never seen any of Kubrick's films theatrically and was boiling over with anticipation. I downloaded a lovely quicktime of it and watched it a million times. It still holds up - it's simple and bold, but surprisingly playful too.

FoneBone posted:

It's frustrating how even trailers from the relatively recent past can (seemingly) disappear. Good luck finding that aforementioned Starship Troopers teaser, or the original Fifth Element teaser, anywhere on the internet.

Yeah, this drives me crazy. It's insane to me that these things that millions of people saw can seemingly disappear.

RoughDraft2.0 posted:

Also: I blame "Warrior" bombing mostly on the Godawful trailer, which actually edited in the announcer uttering, "Unbelievably, the two fighters in the final---ARE BROTHERS!" How does that happen without someone saying, "You know, that line is so groan-inducing people will actively avoid this otherwise fine film?"

I dunno, I loved that Warrior trailer and it really sold me on the movie. They should've taken that line out and any of the stuff that alluded to them being brothers, because it's built up to really slowly in the flick, but otherwise I think it delivers. Everyone else I know who saw the trailer seemed underwhelmed by it too though, so maybe its just me.

Here it is, for the curious:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54vrgCP5nlc

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe

Robert Denby posted:

Don't forget Comedian!

Yeah, I was gonna mention Comedian. That's one of the all time greats. I haven't even seen the movie, but I remember that trailer perfectly.

Here's a few more I like:

L.I.E. (2001)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_8kklAZo80

This is a style of trailer that I love when it's done well. No narrative, just the mood of the movie conveyed through music and imagery - sinister yet plaintive, with a promise of transgression. The trailer for L.I.E. (starring Paul Dano and Brian Cox) has always stuck with me.

Point Blank (1967)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2sKgsKTeEM

The John Boorman/Lee Marvin crime classic (based on the Parker character) is as mean and nasty as they come, and the trailer gets that across with the letters of the title appearing on-screen to the rhythm of Marvin firing a gun into an empty bed. You also get a taste of the psychedelia and New Hollywood nihilism that make the movie so distinct. The whole trailer's keyed around the repeated shot of Lee Marvin walking purposefully down a hallway, and by the end of it you don't know where he's going, but you know he's gonna kick someone's rear end when he gets there.

Alien (1979)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjLamj-b0I8

Obviously the greatest trailer ever cut.

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe
Am I the only one who thinks Gatsby looks like feces in cinema form?

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe
Crowe has actually had a long (if not storied) musical career:

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe
The trailer looks like it spoils a scene where Josh Brolin's character is ambushed and possibly killed?

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe

Vagabundo posted:

Not here specifically, but in general. When's the last time you saw someone having a right go at David Lean for the ending of The Bridge on the River Kwai? Or any old well-regarded war movie, really like Zulu. The titular bridge in The Bridge on the River Kwai not only was not blown up, it was in use for a couple of decades after the war. Similarly in Zulu, there was no attack at dawn on the 23rd of January, 1873 like in the film and there certainly was no defiant rendition of Men of Harlech. The inaccuracy those films are given a pass, but The Hurt Locker is taken to task because of inaccuracies and to me, that represents a significant double standard.

That's probably enough of this derail anyway.

That's a pretty interesting question actually. I think it's because of the tension between the film's gritty, realistic presentation and its underlying action movie ruleset. Renner's character is a Lethal Weapon-style action hero situated in a believably realized depiction of a real war. That's one of the most interesting things about the movie for me.

Actual veterans seem to be the group that's hardest on Hurt Locker. I think that's partly because the military just naturally transforms people into scoffing pedants (no offense to anyone), but maybe it's also because the movie gives the appearance of being something that will 'get it right' only to submerge itself in cliches and tropes. For me the things that jar the most aren't the inaccuracies, it's the cliches - like the adorable soccer-loving Lil Pepe character. But these are the things that make the movie fascinating as well.

I think the film I would most readily compare it to is Michael Mann's Heat. There's some strong thematic parallels, but that's for another post. Heat is known (and loved) for the ways in which it differs from a typical action movie, Hurt Locker for the ways in which it's similar, but both films are ultimately unrealistic. Heat pays lip service to procedure in order to justify outlandish outcomes. Hurt Locker apparently fudges when it comes procedure, but the filmmaking is so confident and bravura that I would never have known had it not been pointed out to me by the internet.

(For what it's worth I think some of the unrealistic elements of Kwai don't do it any favors, but I'm not the film's biggest fan. When we first meet William Holden's character, he's barrel chested and hale with a little bit of scruff - it's a pretty comical vision of a POW.)

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe

Robert Denby posted:

Since we're talking about DC, here's a TV spot that I think qualifies as the worst, most misleading piece of marketing ever for a comic book movie. Its also really, really funny.

That is unbelievable.

Maarak posted:

That takes the cake, but I'm partial to this Prometheus TV spot that implies Idris Elba's character is the protagonist:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Auo4xPT5Tfo

Yeah, I remember seeing a shorter version of this when I was watching BET, before Prometheus came out. I always love stuff like this.

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe

BlueBayou posted:

3. Maybe its just because Ive never been a big fan of giant robots.. but .... meh. It just seems like such an illogical way to fight a giant monster.

You're lucky I'm not a mod. Not liking giant robots would be a bannable offense. :fut:

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe

Jedit posted:

You're not retarded. I don't know how anyone could be even slightly inspired to see that movie by the trailer. I'm not, and I thought Primer was great.

I like it - it's evocative and mysterious. I don't know what the movie's about, but the moods and images are intriguing. Reminds me of a trailer I really like for Romain Gavras' Notre Jour Viendra:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jd1azCdMTiE

I have no idea what this is about, but I want to see it anyway. That said, if these were more incompetently done you would basically have the After Last Season trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7qCOe8WG4I

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe

DivisionPost posted:

Here is Ray Winstone and a group of British gentlemen talking poo poo and beating rear end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBk8At1YfRI

Where's Danny Dyer?

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe

BonoMan posted:

I was stunned by how bad it looked. Like... high school student film amateurish. It looks like it was just with a loving point and shoot.

It probably was. He shot it at his house over a 3-day weekend or something. I can't imagine anyone's gonna pick it up for theatrical distro.

muscles like this? posted:

I just saw a really skeevy commercial for Tommy Lee Jones' new movie, Emperor. Instead of actually advertising the movie they just talked about how this was TLJ's first movie since Lincoln.

Yeah I saw that commercial too. They must have no other way to sell the movie, because it looks like a mega-turd.

Bugblatter posted:

Jack Green. He also shot Unforgiven, The Bridges of Madison County, and some of the better looking comedies from the last decade. Serenity's blocking is still Whedon's typical mix of bland shot, reverse-shot and overly gimmicky VFX enabled long-takes, but Jack Green exposes and lights it very nicely. David Boyd did some very nice work with the TV series to, given the production's limitations.

Unforgiven's such a great looking movie. I really dig how the interiors are lit and shot.

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe

teagone posted:

Oh god, Kick-rear end 2 looks amazing. I love Jim Carrey's voice. Red band trailer below :dance:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4-6SgBfTOw

The concept behind Carrey's character looks like What If This Guy Became A Superhero:

Which is pretty funny, but probably not enough to get me to watch another Kick-rear end movie.

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe

scary ghost dog posted:

Which is fitting, since Schiller was a white-collar criminal.

Why does that make it fitting?

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe

scary ghost dog posted:

Real-life spoilers, subject to change in the film: Schiller stole 14 million dollars from Medicare patients. He definitely does not deserve sympathy. Schiller's a piece of poo poo, Lugo and pals are just terrible idiots.

So he doesn't deserve sympathy for being extorted, tortured and nearly murdered, because he also committed a crime? C'mon...

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe

scary ghost dog posted:

Do you know about schadenfreude? It's the feeling of satisfaction you get when bad poo poo happens to people you don't like. In the case of Pain & Gain, specifically the extortion and torture of Schiller, every involved person is a horrible fucker. If there was ever a real-life torture and attempted murder to make light of, this is the one.

Well, suit yourself.

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Judging from everyone's reactions, I can only assume I'm dead inside. That trailer didn't really do anything for me, at all.

The robot carnage parts really cranked my motor, but everything else felt kinda lame. Whoever the monotone lead is, he seems like a charisma black hole.

mind the walrus posted:

I'm honestly afraid to say what my problem with the trailer is regardless of scale that tanker should have split in half the way Gypsy Danger heaves it up like a baseball bat because I know it's "blah blah blah fun fun fun."

That bugged me a little too. He should've swung it like a golf club.

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe

penismightier posted:

"Range" is far from the only hallmark of a good actor, and it's actually way less important than most people think. Crafting a magnetic and likable persona is just as challenging.

I totally agree, and I hate arguing about it because it's really hard to persuade people these days that a great actor can take a form other than that of the chameleon who can disappear into any role.

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe

CPFortest posted:

The worst best picture winners are Dr. Doolittle and the English Patient.

Out Of Africa's worse than The English Patient.

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe

scary ghost dog posted:

It's got a really good script! It's really well acted and directed too! Frankly there's nothing wrong with it, at all.

The movie's an atrocity. Even the title is offensive.

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe

Also the whole drat movie in a trailer and Gary Oldman sounds like he's doing an impression of Tom Wilkinson.

He sounds exactly like Brick Top from Snatch. I'd be tempted to see it just for that.

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe

leokitty posted:

I saw with my dad when it was in the theaters. :colbert:

Anyway SteveYun's description of the "ideal remake" doesn't really mesh with mine. I want to see Spike Lee's voice in the story, not Spike Lee trying to mimic someone else's voice. That said, even if the story is a 1:1 that doesn't make it the same movie.

There's a part in the trailer where the passage of time is illustrated by clips on tv - of 9/11, Hurricane Katrina and Obama's election. I'm betting Spike's voice comes in loud and clear on this one. Even an efficient commercial product like Inside Man had his fingerprints all over it.

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxDl_ER5VC0

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe

CaptainHollywood posted:

I just realized how hilariously misleading the trailer for Dreamcatcher is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Fgr0bUUc_c

I have to admire how effective a trailer that is for one of the most :psypop: movies ever made.

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe

kiimo posted:

I didn't see whatever was posted before it was pulled. Something leaked today, I just figured since WB pulled that, that is what was leaked. I actually didn't know the details it isn't my team but I just found out that it was finished with updated graphics so I apologize for saying that.

Also this one was actually cut by Legendary not us so I can't tell whoever it was. The current trailer is being done by the same guy who did Batman and Inception. Basically our #1 guy.

So he did the Godzilla trailer that came out this past week? That was good stuff.

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe

echoplex posted:

Good work. Exactly the poo poo you would expect from any film starring Depp.

I started cackling when I saw that part. I've seen interviews with Pfister before and he gave the impression of being an intelligent guy, cites seeing 2001: A Space Odyssey at release as a formative experience, so this wasn't what I was expecting.

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe

AA is for Quitters posted:

Someone who does this for a living, please explain how the hell you make bad movies look watchable? I just had to cut together a 30s spot for this godawful DTV Jesse James movie and...it was painful. But yet, I see fantastic trailers for godawful movies all the time. (IE I Am Legend)

I've never made a trailer but it seems to me like it's generally easier to make a good one when the material you have is actually good.

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe

Febreeze posted:

Can someone point me to a couple examples of great later American Dad episodes because everyone here keeps saying it got much better but I went back recently and it seemed like the same garbage I stopped watching years ago

It's not my job to educate you.

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe
Lol.

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe

kiimo posted:

I want to say that bad loving rear end Girl with the Dragon Tattoo is the best trailer I've seen in years but it didn't put asses in seats so I'm not allowed to say it is the best.

I remember seeing it before FAST FIVE and the audience seemed confused and mildly contemptuous of it. Stupid normies...

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe

Hat Thoughts posted:

I don't know how the Wachowskis' keep getting to make whatever the gently caress they want but it's amazing and I love it.

It seems like Warner Brothers tries to maintain strong relationships with 'their' directors.

Zedd posted:

Edit: After this one, TMNT2014 and a bunch of other trailers you can really spot this trend:
action > whooooompppppp > slowdown > whoooooomp > action

The TMNT trailer's one of the most boilerplate things I've seen in a while.

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe
Not on youtube yet, but here's the teaser trailer for David Fincher's new film, Gone Girl:

http://trailers.apple.com/trailers/fox/gonegirl/

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe
Annnnd here's the youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOPLieLQQQs

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe

Asiina posted:

I liked it. I like that you could tell generally what the movie was about without giving away every major plot point.

It was like half way between a teaser and a regular trailer.

I want to see this movie and see no more trailers for it.

Yeah that's where I'm at. The song's not great but Hell, it works for the trailer in my opinion.

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe

Perfect.

Going back to Gone Girl, the first time I watched the trailer I kind of went "eh, okay." But I've found myself going back and watching it a bunch of times, I guess I do find it compelling. That's basically how I responded to the The Social Network trailer too, first time I go "haha Creep, Facebook, i get it whatever" and then I watched it a few more times and realized I was really jazzed to see it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lB95KLmpLR4

Watching it again now, I can see that it is a way better trailer than Gone Girl's. More intriguing setup and payoff, great tagline, great matching of music with the editing and images. But Fincher's trailers give me a lot to chew on when it comes to what makes for a good trailer, because you can see the consistency of voice between them (at least in recent years, I don't know how long he's been in charge of his own marketing). The lukewarm reception to GG's is probably enough by itself to go ahead and say "it's not good" since the sole job of a trailer is to excite people about your movie... it just makes me wonder if a trailer can be good even if it fails at doing that. His Dragon Tattoo teaser was great but I remember seeing it a few times in the theater and it went over like a lead weight each time - I could feel the confusion and mild distaste in the air. And the 2nd trailer was insanely long and sort of only had a single tone.

It's also interesting because when a director demands to do his own marketing he takes on a huge extra burden, not just creatively but in terms of sharing an even greater blame for the movie's performance. Fincher's clearly not scared of the pressure, I just wonder if it could backfire hugely on him someday. He must think it's an important risk to take, so he's probably not sweating the outcome as long as he does it his way. His filmmaking talent is bone deep and it's probably trivial for him to put together cool 2 minute clips like these, but I bet the studio wishes he would play it a little more for broad appeal.

Also I realized what the Gone Girl trailer song reminded me of:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udLmCHmZFx4

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe

kiimo posted:

From the "News Nobody Cares About" file, here're the Golden Trailer noms.

Is this considered a serious award for trailer people, or is it just a fun thing?

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSWdZVtXT7E

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe

I think it looks really great.

Yeah I'm sold. The effects shots near the end looked fabulous. I'm gonna try and avoid any more footage from here on out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe

Jewmanji posted:

Probably the least exciting Nolan trailer to date. I still can't wait to see it.

I was surprised that a good deal of this movie seems to take place on Earth- I was kind of expecting a weird Sunshine/Solaris mashup.

I get the feeling we mostly just saw the beginning of the movie. Who knows though.

• Locked thread