Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Chappie looks depressing as gently caress. I prefer my robots megalomaniacal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXsQkWwFftk

Boy does this movie look loving not good

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

mind the walrus posted:

Still doesn't look good and it's blatant on its face that no one on the production has the slightest bit of respect for what the character could represent as a stand-alone--admittedly tricky as gently caress, especially when selling to a mass audience used to giant scales and stakes--but it at least looks like it isn't a total bomb now. The special effects, while rough, look inventive and fantastic while Rudd and Douglas are clearly trying to make it all work.

Honestly I'm still amazed that they ever thought an Ant-Man film would be a good idea. Hank Pym and Scott Lang are characters that have never even been able to carry their own comic for very long. That doesn't mean it'll be a bad movie, it just feels completely out of place with everything Marvel has done with their films since the beginning.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Just looks super generic and lacking in personality. Also enough with the origin stories already.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

the Incredibles is still basically the only Fantastic Four movie we need anyway

Nah season 4 of Arrested Development is the best F4 movie

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

computer parts posted:

It looks like bioshock but set in Disneyland.

Also Andrew Ryan is a super awesome hero guy and not a weird objectivist piece of poo poo

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Would be more interested if the whole film had that storybook stop motion style. I don't know if I'm alone in this but it bugs me that every modern CG animated film has to look exactly like Pixar made it.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Seriously it seems like he'll show up for anything as long as you pay him, which I can respect. Even more impressive that that stuff never tarnishes his career.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Boy I kinda liked Ed Helms when he was on the Daily Show

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

DivisionPost posted:

Jonathan Demme. Diablo Cody. Meryl Streep. Ricki and the Flash.

This looks awful, but goddamn that girl was born to play Meryl Streep's daughter

Edit: Hah, she actually is Meryl Streep's daughter. You fail me again, short bio on IMDB!

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 06:54 on May 10, 2015

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBI3IFPqjVs

I'm not much for straight Shakespeare adaptations but er this looks quite good

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I had not heard of Villeneuve until this trailer, so I checked out Enemy on Netflix and holy poo poo that movie extremely loving owned, so yeah I'm on board with whatever he does

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LlA93Nq-q6c

Furiosa and Nux team up to solve a murder??

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Jun 23, 2015

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

If they wanted to truly update the Rocky story they should have made him an MMA fighter :getin:

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Hat Thoughts posted:

What does Goosebumps look like?

Cheap 90s bullshit

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

When are they gonna make a Goonbumps movie

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

I didn't find that Suicide Squad trailer very interesting at all :shrug:

What's it like to have no soul? ... and other platitudes people can shout at you because you didn't like thing

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I realize it's a trailer but those FX look loving terrible and do a bad job of promoting your film. Thing looks laughably bad - that shot where he's punching that floating rock mass holy poo poo

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Wow people really like jurassic world huh

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

But they're not trying to ground THIS Doom at all, it looks like.

Seriously Doom is the loving best, he's just the most selfish person in the universe while still being entirely pragmatic about the realities of rulership. He's evil, but he's not genocidal, he's a feared world leader who runs his country with a fierce belief that his will is what's best for his people... gee, it's not like there's a real world equivalent there.

I'm not even a big FF guy but Jonathan Hickman's run is straight up one of the best comics I've ever read. It's amazing, and not even just because of the family aspect, it's just non-stop awesome abstract sci-fi and machinations happening on the most ridiculous scales. A good FF movie would be like Interstellar mixed with Jodorowsky's Dune. This dreary looking mess is completely failing to inspire any sort of that adventurous and absurdly creative spirit of the comics.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

There is very little value in Fantastic Four unless you can get someone who has a really strong creative drive and is allowed to go nuts with it. In every other case you get something exceedingly dull and mundane by superhero standards, which is what all the movies turned out to be, and most of the comic runs quite frankly. Hickman did such a good job with his run that no one could follow his act and now they don't even make FF comics anymore. Fox keeps trying to retain the license but really this is never going to be a huge moneymaker the way they're handling it, they might as well let it go back to Marvel like Punisher and Daredevil.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Immortan posted:

Also the villain in this looks underwhelming and cliched. gently caress.

It's Christoph loving Waltz, I see no universe where he won't end up being amazing. That's like THE reason to be excited for this film IMO

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Isn't that just a remake of Four Lions

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Based on previous 2001 comedies getting a sequel on 2015, I have absolutely no hope for this movie.

I had no idea Zoolander was this well-liked. I mean it's okay, but THAT's a sequel anyone is supposed to get excited about?

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I feel like such a goon for being legit surprised that anyone considers The Hangover to have left a large cultural impact

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Deadpool, at its heart, is about an emotionally disturbed, sociopathic killer who uses comedy for levity and to subvert a lot of tired comic tropes (hence the fourth wall breaking, which was really novel when he started doing it). He was always best when written as an incurably insane guy whose use of humor almost seemed kind of pathetic, but still made the character likeable 'cause it was so irreverent and self-effacing. Somewhere along the way this turned into badass ninja lolrandom meme-monster, and I guess there was no real avoiding it. I think where the trailer goes wrong for me is that you should never play him up as being the coolest dude in the room, he's the guy that everyone else in the room loving hates.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Electromax posted:

I've never read a comic and the trailer kind of turns me off but I thought from that horrible Wolverine movie that he was literally formed from a pool of dead mutant juice or something. Was that completely made up for that movie?

For some reason they tried to contextualize the name in a really hamfisted way, yeah. The only reason he is named Deadpool is because he was a Rob Liefeld character and that presumably sounded very cool to him.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Zzulu posted:

Ryan Reynolds has never been the issue in movies for me. Like, Green lantern? Reynolds was not the big problem in that movie..

On that same token he's never been the appeal either

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

kiimo posted:

Blade: Trinity.

Hahaha

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I said come in! posted:

TVIV is a horrible place to get opinions about TV shows. If it is hated there then you can be pretty positive the show is actually quite good.

That's pretty hyperbolic, much like TVIV!

True Detective season 2 was good, I enjoyed it, but I don't think it's anywhere near as good as the first season, and even on its own merits it had several significant issues. I do think it's worth watching, regardless, especially now that you won't have to wait a week between each episode.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I just remember watching the beginning of Westworld as a kid and being super disappointed that this cool future film turn into a loving western and then I never finished it.

I'm sure it's a good film but limiting it to that one setting always seemed odd to me.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Was there any Paradise Lost stuff in the DeNiro film? If they made an accurate adaptation I could see that as something modern audiences largely wouldn't care about

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

That looks great but was it shot in 16:9?

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Title is a little on the nose don't you think?

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Wendell posted:

Everyone be sure to watch Ritchie Rich.

I had not heard of this but they seem to be capturing exactly how bad, dumb, and cheaply produced that type of live action DisneyXD-style show is, so I can't fault them for it.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

A better looking horror film

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4GaaT69VHo

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

That's insane, I can't believe it exists. Some of the effects look real rough but I almost wanna see it just because of the sheer audacity of attempting something like that, I suspect a lot people would get motion sick long before the end.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

That thing is clearly heavily inspired by video games, there's no use in trying to deny it

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Natalie Dormer gets stuck in Japanese ghost forest

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDs_DYow7xA

Unfortunately doesn't look very good, I really love the setting though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Leo was always great, he's been in bad movies, but I've never seen him put in a bad performance. Even from the beginning in stuff like Gilbert Grape he was clearly the stand-out part. In contrast I don't think I've ever seen Shia be good in anything

• Locked thread