Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
Heart of Courage was used for Mass Effect 2, and the youtube comments suggest it was also in one of the Lord of the Rings films.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

zenintrude posted:

The people behind Little Miss Sunshine got drunk and took in a double feature of Stranger than Fiction and Weird Science.

:stare:

Apologies for what may be an overreaction, but this looks really goddamn creepy. Little Miss Sunshine owned so I think and hope that it'll be somewhat aware of the creepiness of its premise and not enshrine it, but just from the trailer there's a big sense of "It's totally awesome that I made this rape victim manic pixie dream girl that will now do anything I say".

Like I said, the movie's probably gonna end up being pretty good and is probably gonna poke at some of the ramifications of its hosed premise. But gently caress

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
Some hearsay spoilers based on what advanced screening folks are saying:

It seems like the movie does in fact get pretty dark and examine the hosed up implications of its creepy adolescent male fantasy premise. No word on whether it's an empowerment story for Ruby or just a condemnation of Paul Dano, but folks who've seen it say it's way less of a feel-good wish fulfillment than the trailer indicates. But, holy gently caress, that trailer. gently caress that trailer.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

Vagabundo posted:

A couple of teasers for Man of Steel.

:stare: This is some Terence Malick level poo poo. I mean that in an incredibly positive way. Was not interested in this movie at all beforehand, but this pair of trailers is loving brilliant.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

Dan Didio posted:

I'm excited to see this cool looking film with Pitt in the lead and also excited to see legions of people posting about how they 'adapted it wrong' and how 'fast zombies aren't zombies!'.

I mean, I love ragging on adaptation purists as much as the next guy and I haven't even read World War Z, but here are two potential movies:

1) A cool-looking, fun zombie action film starring Brad Pitt.
2) An anthology film consisting of Brad Pitt interviewing various veterans of a zombie war, who each get their own vignette telling the story of their fight.

The second sounds a lot cooler. The first is probably gonna be perfectly entertaining, but knowing there was the opportunity for the second leaves a bit of disappointment. I guess I can see why people are raging, especially if the individual stories in WWZ were actually good (were they?)

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
So uh movie trailers right.

Does anyone have any notable examples of trailers that got them thinking that movie was gonna be way better than it actually ended up being? Terminator: Salvation was awful (except that the story of its making is pretty much my favorite Terminator story), but this trailer really got me excited for it. Anyone got similar "This is gonna be awesome"/"This turned out to be awful" experiences from trailers?

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

BonoMan posted:

Yeah sorry the "ugh" was the wrong sounds I was going for.

Was it more like a sexual thing, like an "ungh"? This is important, fill us in.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
I know that Youtube ads I've seen for 2GUNS use it, a little bit of "Two undercover cops... set up...", and it sounds pretty drat cheesy there. I feel like this question is similar to an SA thread in 2020 asking "Why don't they do any of those movie posters anymore where there's thin white lettering over a character's face?" There are just trends that the moviegoing public starts to view as outmoded after a while.

Of course, I can easily see "In a world..." narration becoming a thing in throwback/parody/homage type films. Hell, it probably already is.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

Ishamael posted:

Anyone who uses the term "Manic Pixie Dream Girl" should have their film opinions automatically ignored.

There's a kernel of a legitimately problematic fictional archetype in the term, so I don't mind it being used in the general case. But by this point, "Commentaries on MPDGs that get labeled MPDGs by lazy readers" seem like they're more common than actual MPDGs. Granted, being a commentary on the trope isn't automatically a good thing: I recognize what Ruby Sparks was setting out to do and thought it did most of a good job with it, but I still ended up despising that movie for its denouement.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah I don't think there's a gag that inspires less confidence than "A character badly sings a song from two years ago, interspersed with reaction shots of other characters disapproving of the performance". It's really easily possible that the rest of the movie will be as great as the first, but seriously, that's what you lead with?

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
What the gently caress is Magic Mike supposed to be a remake of

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

Corek posted:

Hmm, seven soldiers fighting together in olden times and who must now train an army? I wonder where I've heard that before?

Seven Against Thebes?

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

ninjahedgehog posted:

I haven't seen The Matrix in a while, but do they ever specifically say that the cops are human beings? I sort of figured that they (also the SWAT team that arrives later) were just programs like the Agents.

The cops are people, yeah. Morpheus explains earlier that because people can be possessed by Agents at any time, everyone whose mind isn't freed is a potential enemy. Hence, kill a shitload of cops, it's coo'.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
I saw this trailer for The Signal before my showing of Oculus, and holy gently caress do I hope that this movie lives up to even a fraction of how beautiful that trailer was.

EDIT: I've watched it like five times now, it's so loving pretty

Jenny Angel fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Apr 22, 2014

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
I mean yeah obviously I'm gonna see Enemy but why do you bring it up specifically

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
The idea of goons remembering that I exist across multiple is still kinda alien to me, so honestly that post is incredibly flattering to read.

I'm not seeing any release dates yet except limited engagements and film festivals. Surely it will arrive someday to my distant home of UPPER WEST SIDE MANHATTAN

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

Jewmanji posted:

Possibly more than Foxcatcher.

You loving war criminal. How could you say that.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Did you see The Rover?

Of course I seen The Rover. Why, do we have a thread about The Rover that's waiting for my effort post?

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

There's some good stuff about dads and lovely cars being tombs in it and it made me think of you.

Wanna be clear that I'm not at all being facetious here: that was a very moving thing of you to say.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

mind the walrus posted:

"Missing the point post about how this is a cartoon and you should really just relax you sperg :smug:"

It's surprisingly profound, for a narrative about a sponge.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

mind the walrus posted:

That said I was being facetious. I assume you were too but I just wanted to voice how weird it is to me that I don't seem to "get" Spongebob the way the rest of the world does, even if I don't hate the little guy at all.

I was quoting Fringe. Watch Fringe.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
No it was other people as well. It was a well-received film, it's just that films centering around sardonic, disaffected young female leads tend to get an "everyone knows it sucks" reputation on geeky Internet communities. See: Juno, where 95% of the complaints are about poo poo that happens in the first five minutes.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Juno sucks rear end though.

This is an alright opinion to have, and I trust you to be way ahead of the curve by having more data points than a hamburger phone.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
I don't... I don't get it. You're engaging with the shortcomings of the film beyond "honest to blog". Who does that?

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

Robert Denby posted:

This is still the best hacking scene in history.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8qgehH3kEQ

Now the computer's poorly from too much electric. :smith:

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

Bolek posted:

How did he fail? Because his movie didn't look like No Country For Old Men?

Failing upwards is perhaps a reductive phrasing, but it's okay to admit that Whedon is poo poo at visual composition. It hurts nobody to admit this! You can even say, in the same breath, that an understanding of visual language isn't your top priority in a film, and that you're not bothered by it enough for it to outweigh what you like about his films (which would probably be centered around dialogue and character interaction I guess?) Similarly, it doesn't hurt me to admit that the folks who gave Avengers a record-breaking box office aren't plebeians who are doing cinema wrong.

But the implicit "he experienced X major financial and popular success, so surely he can't be terrible at Y". That kind of argument always seems to apply only to art or artists that the speaker already likes. No nerdy dude is ever going to bat for Stephenie Meyer or Michael Bay this way (when goons go to bat for Michael Bay, it's with a different set of arguments".

Your original point was goofy as gently caress because of course it's possible to be massively successful while loving up a large part of the artform. You yourself seem to have realize why - because the majority of the millions who watched and liked the film could not give a gently caress if it looked as good as a Roger Deakins joint.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
It works fine - even better in fact, because I was giving you the benefit of the doubt, assuming you were having a very understandable knee-jerk reaction to people making GBS threads on something you really enjoyed. My mistake!

You're right to point out that McGarvey owns - he was also cinematographer on Godzilla, which was gorgeous. There are likely a number of factors contributing to why it looks so much better than Avengers, but I feel like it's fair to speculate that a sharp difference on directorial vision was one of them.

By the way: you're welcome to actually present arguments for why the hate around Avengers' aesthetic is overblown, if you're into that kind of thing. SMG's Bad Avengers Shot of the Day series got linked in this thread recently, so if you look at those and say, "Oh come on, there's plenty of visual literacy going on in there", you can hop into the comic book movie thread and argue just that. Or you could call out your favorite shots in the Age of Ultron trailer! Either of those options are still open, and way more interesting than just bringing up industry bonafides and stopping there.

Fake Edit: My new benefit-of-the-doubt theory is that you're specifically taking issue with the hyperbolic phrase "basic understanding of visual literacy", as opposed to the broader claim that he is not a visually-focused or visually-skilled director and people who like his movies tend to do so in spite of visuals rather than because of them

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

muscles like this? posted:

3 almost killed the series since it was the one that nobody wanted to come back to. They only got Vin Diesel because the studio traded his cameo for the rights to the Riddick universe.

I recall reading an article where Justin Lin claimed that another reason they got Diesel back in was a long conversation the two of them had where Lin laid out his vision for the series as a sort of D&D campaign setting in which this car-based adventuring party would go have epic quests.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

mr.capps posted:

God you could sell any movie to Vin Diesel if you some how made it into a P&P RPG setting, couldn't you?

Someone is going to do a reboot of the Ocean's franchise and get Diesel to sign on by telling him it will be like a Shadowrun campaign.

The Riddick franchise makes a lot more sense when you realize Diesel spent years roleplaying a Drow witch hunter who was "a bit of a loner" and whose name he has as a tattoo.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
I mean, obviously this is a teaser trailer that I'm extrapolating from, by the issue I'm sensing is that it seems like Chappie is just the world's biggest innocent robot sweetheart. When there's an implication of "this person from a subaltern population deserves our acceptance because he's so saintly and kind", it kinda misses the point. There's that line in the trailer where Yolandi is protesting, "He's a kid!" Right. Kids are known for quite often acting like relentless little shitbirds. It doesn't mean we turn our backs on them for failing to pass a set of behavioral criteria that we don't even earnestly hold ourselves to.

What I'm trying to say here is Fruitvale Station owns.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

PaganGoatPants posted:

Too bad he got stuck in that lovely Rom Com. I can't even remember the name now.

Space Jam

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
On a phone and can't ctrl-f, so sorry if I missed a mention of it, but Peep Show is entirely PoV and real loving good. A key to its success is it alternates between two PoVs, so you don't have a show about David Mitchell's character where you never see David Mitchell on screen.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
I'm being generous to the movie so I'm counting "huh" and "change the name" as two separate jokes.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

GrandpaPants posted:

apparently the main villain of this movie is the other heroes? Why even give a poo poo about Ultron when the main appeal of this movie seems to be Iron Man vs. Hulk?

While it hurts me to stick up for this movie, my understanding is that Ultron is a spooky robot who uses his spooky robot powers to gain control of all of Iron Man's armors, so that's actually Ultron that the Hulk is fighting.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
Ayo "sorry you hate fun" is usually a really silly argument except that I can confirm that anyone who doesn't like James Wan haunted house setpieces does in fact hate fun, also that I feel sorry for them

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

There is no possible way The Ghost Dimension is going to be bad.

I'm excited for it in a way I haven't been excited for a Paranormal Activity movie since the first. I still think that one was a legit masterpiece, and this one's probably not going to have nearly the same level of bleak clarity, but it looks incredibly fun.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Did you see The Marked Ones? It was a spinoff unrelated to the core numbered movies and it was easily the most fun of any of them.

It's actually the only one I haven't seen, since I was feeling pretty burned out after 4. I'll give it a shot this weekend!

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

I think it's underappreciated exactly to what degree the first PA is an effective film. Much like Blair Witch Project, a lot of subsequent FF films gild the hell out of the lily assuming you'll be bored. PA makes no such concession. There is no sex (although the series on the whole is in love with Katie Featherston's breasts), there is no action per se, there are no effects, really. The movie has you sit still for 80 odd minutes for someone walking up the stairs in boots and a door slamming. It's a masterclass in mood and tone and dread.

If we're just talking about the craft of the film (I really enjoy the anti-patriarchal subtext as well, but that's a different post and one I've already made), something it does incredibly effectively is work with cycles of tension and release. The sequels are concerned with worldbuilding and subverting your expcations to a greater extent, which has its appeal I guess, but Paranormal Activity is absolutely ruthless in its focus on cyclical build-up. Even when poo poo's at its most demonic, the daytime is a relatively safe (if increasingly scarred) territory, while the nighttime ramps up and up and up, at a very deliberate pace. I saw it in a packed theater when it first came out and so many people would just start moaning versions of "oh no" every time a nighttime title card came up. It got people churning with anxiety just by turning out the lights, again and again.

It, along with James Wan's haunted house filmography, are the prime examples for why backlash against the concept of jump scares is so woefully misinformed. When the structure works, it works.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

LORD OF BUTT posted:

Is Statham really worth that much anymore? It feels like half the stuff I see him in is DTV nowadays.

He was the main villain the 4th-highest-grossing film of all time earlier this year

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
I'm really digging Eisenberg's Luthor because he looks like what I'd look like with a douchier haircut, so it will be fun as hell to pretend this film is a highly innaccurate biopic of myself

• Locked thread