Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

exquisite tea posted:

And this is always good for a laugh when discussing common trailer tropes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbhrz1-4hN4
The trailer for the Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy did something similar:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MbGNcoB2Y4I

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Jewmanji posted:

I think it has more in common with early Michael Bay films than Terrence Malick, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_sUlupV48I

I don't really see it. The Man of Steel teaser is really trying to to be as low key as possible while that clip is Michael Bay trying waay to hard say that this is important, this matters, a thousand Hindus are hoping that Bruce Willis drills that asteroid hard.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

LesterGroans posted:

Couple of trailers out:

Killing Them Softly. Director of The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford working with Pitt again and bringing along James Gandolfini, Richard Jenkins, Ben Mendelsohn and Sam Shepard? I'm really, really sold. Heard great things about it and the trailer works for me.

Man, people seriously needs to stop using the Man Comes Around.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Marjane Satrapi got a new movie: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6pkWWvchl3I

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

I like this trailer for Frontiers, the musical interlude is nice.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

bullet3 posted:

Possibly the best action film of this year came out on VOD yesterday, and you will want to see it after watching this new trailer.

That's pretty much Hypnotoad: The Movie. Even though I'm not epileptic that was seriously uncomfortable to watch.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Robert Denby posted:

It looked very similar in visual style to "Enter the Void", :nws:the trailer for which:nms: should give you a good idea of how bugfuck insane it is visually.

It really says something that a trailer for a loving Gaspar Noe movie was easier to watch than Universal Soldier trailer.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Wheany posted:

Jack and the beanstalk is fairytale for dumb babies, look how cool we are making it into a dark epic.

That movie looked pretty goofy for a "dark epic".

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Jedit posted:

Not a different take so much as a different style. The original Evil Dead was played straight, but it's still obvious that they were having fun making it.

Well, maybe Sam Raimi and Bruce Campbell did. For the rest of the people involved it was a pretty miserable affair.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Zzulu posted:

I thought the remake of "The Ring" was a lot better than the original. Like, a lot.
The remake loses all subtlety that original had, everything have to be super scary and shocking. A good example is the death faces. In the original the victims looks like something bad happened to them but the remake makes it so over the top that it almost becomes funny:

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

scary ghost dog posted:

Well, when you freeze frame it like that, yeah. In the remake it's edited in such a way that it looks like something really horrible happened to the characters, but you don't get a good enough look to judge for yourself and are left with a fleeting glimpse of someone's scary death face.
That's the thing though, it isn't just a quick glimpse. It's like the movie doesn't trust the audience to understand that the movie is supposed to be scary so they ramp everything the gently caress up to get the point across.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Barudak posted:

North Korea is like the Amish, they'll never know we're making fun of them.

Case in point:

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

LesterGroans posted:

Who was Whedon's DP on Serenity?

He got the dude that did Unforgiven.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Febreeze posted:

The only reason people even remember Shakespeare in love these days is because it beat out Saving Private Ryan.

Also Gwyneth Paltrow's speech.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Attention Horse posted:

Last Days on Mars trailer. Looks alright, I'm always up for some horror sci-fi movies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_C8_xmixrg

I admire a man who is bold enough to not only set a movie on Mars but also have Mars in the title.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Renoistic posted:

It doesn't have a snowman in it, at least :shrug:

The troll isn't a good replacement.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

kiimo posted:

What's the point of giving it to them if it's going to be on the internet afterwards?

To get more people exited about your movie?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Halle Berry's hair is still terrible.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Steve Yun posted:

Still, Deniro acted the hell out of his sad/pathetic scenes and gave it more dignity than the rest of the movie deserved.

The talent that movie had is just insane (it even had Frank Darabont writing the screenplay) and yet it sucked so much.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

colonel_korn posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FeHpSdQSH0c

I dunno if they were trying to make him look especially old in this movie or not, but holy crap :stare:

It's a parade of bad hair cuts.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

And yet there's no Michelle Rodriguez.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Alehkhs posted:

Second trailer for the Wachowskis' Jupiter Ascending:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOvITFK98gg

If nothing else, they really nailed the heavy metal aesthetic.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi posted:

Dracula Untold will end with Dracula brooding in his castle until there's a knock at the door and he opens it to a rather normal looking Englishman who asks, "Count Dracula?" "Yes?" "I've been looking for you. *Swell of dissonant violins* My name is Jonathan Harker." Cut to black.

"I'm here to talk to you about the Monster Mash"

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I dunno, I assumed it was semi well known that The Mummy Returns had a set in stone release date that Universal was not going to change, so they rushed like hell through post-production and it really shows.

Then again Sommers is pretty terrible at using CGI in his movies.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

That doesn't explain why The Mummy looks way better than The Mummy Returns.

But it does explains why The Mummy still looks kinda lovely.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Stick Figure Mafia posted:

I'm happy there is a MLK film that isn't just "I have a dream" and is actually about civil disobedience.

Doesn't his family still own the copyright to that speech?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

Helenah Bonham Carter wearing a normal wig! What the hell kind of movie is this?

A boring one?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Really the problem is mostly that Blake Lively isn't any good.

She was great in The Town.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Jedit posted:

Seriously? Then why does one of their songs have him singing "Don't touch my penis, I'm not gay"?

Technically it's Wanga singing it.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

jet sanchEz posted:

La Femme Nikita did it first and did it really, really well

It worked in Nikita because it shows what a terrible idea that is.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

f#a# posted:

Does it matter whether the monsters were real or a manifestation of her trauma? Either way, they were presented to us, the viewers.

Actually Good horror movies made since 2005: The Babadook, Let [The Right One / Me] In, Drag Me to Hell.

Good movies for horror fanatics: Antichrist, You're Next, Cabin in the Woods, arguably As Above, So Below.

Also: À l'intérieur, Martyrs, The Lords of Salem, Juan of the Dead.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

GrandpaPants posted:

I get the feeling that this movie will be a boring romance drama for the first two acts, with the "horror" of the third act that will be too late to really make up for the first two. Nothing really stands out as being particularly intriguing. All it really does is make me want to rewatch Let The Right One In.

These are the guys that made Resolution, based on that I'm willing to give this a chance.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Random Stranger posted:

The second one is much more stupid than the first so that's the one to watch if you're going to pick between the two.

My favorite part of the movie is when they realize the president is an imposter because he is holding his hands differently.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

The MSJ posted:

Highest-grossing Chinese movie ever, directed by Shrek animator Raman Hui.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbhsvxqoCG4

At least it answer the age old question: What if Cronenberg decided to make a family movie with crappy cgi?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Oh man that's going to do great business .... if they can send it 3 or 4 years back in time.

Kids still dig Angry Birds.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Snapchat A Titty posted:

Maybe. I have two sets of nephews though: 10+12 years old dont give a poo poo about angerbirds, and 4+6 years old also dont give a poo poo.

Maybe they'll like te movie though, they're all hella into animation. It won't be for the brand I think, I doubt they're even aware of it.

The kids at the kindergarten loves it. Having a t-shirt with angry birds on it literally makes you the coolest kid ever.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Brit Marling has a new movie: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UhaaCTwyypM

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

:lol: if you think anyone could have kept up with Pacino on that.

Charlize Theron comes close.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

In case you guys don't know it, the version of Scientology that celebs get is completely different from what the rank-and-file get. If you've ever been pitched on Scientology, you know it starts out very nice. For celebs, that part basically never ends.

Leah Remini would disagree on that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Yoshifan823 posted:

If I ran marketing for Bad Moms, I would be furious that Fergie released a single called MILF $ a week after my final trailer was released. Like, "I wanna kill Fergie" furious.

We all felt that.

• Locked thread