Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

There is zero chance that this OP could come close to rival the Movie Poster Megathread and its orgasmic epicness so I'll stick to what I know.

This is a trailer thread, wherein we post trailers, TV spots, online sizzle pieces, and the ever-expanding world of EPKs, extended scenes, Comicon cuts and whatnot and then eviscerate them for being terrible or praise them for piquing our cinephile interests.

First, the links. We'll start with where to view trailers. I'm not going to link youtube like a plebeian (edit: plebeian status now confirmed as well as liar status) but since everybody seems to be debuting their trailers on iTunes these days let's start with that.

http://trailers.apple.com/

Of course, lately there has been a lot of withholding from iTunes as studios are cutting exclusivity deals with various websites (basically to get free ads) trying to compete, like yahoo movies.

http://ca.movies.yahoo.com/trailers

Here are some more...

http://www.deadline.com/hollywood/
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/trailers/
http://screenrant.com/movie-trailers/
http://www.joblo.com/movie-trailers/

Process of a trailer or This Thread's E/N Portion For The Evening

I work for a studio that I don't want to name but is very easy to figure out in Creative Advertising, for one of five teams doing complete campaigns for our film slate. We do posters, billboards, radio, online, trailers, TV spots and basically all of the origination of creative materials. Others then take over and repurpose the assets (art basically) for various things. Here's a short timeline before I bore you to tears. This is for trailers, not print art so I'll mostly ignore the print side.

Step 1: Execs select one of five SVPs and their team to assign to a film based on experience, inter-office politics, outer-office politics, good old fashioned Industry networking, and pagan liberal media sacrifices to the Jewish Illuminati that runs Hollywood from the SKG warlock tower.

Step 2: Meet with producers. Here is where you find out who is going to gently caress up all your work and make it look like poo poo down the road because of their precious film and how they know how to market it better than you even though they aren't finished with principal photography yet and production is on hiatus because of any manner of fuckups by idiots up and down the line.

Step 3: Assign vendors to the film. The SVP selects their flavor of the moment vendors to compete on the film based on endless drinks and dinners and free Lakers tickets. These vendors are where the ACTUAL CREATION OF TRAILERS AND POSTERS TAKE PLACE. There usually are three AV vendors who compete on trailers, teasers and TV Spots and three print vendors who compete on one-sheets (posters), billboards and all manner of print art.

Step 4: Get the script. Read the script. Get excited because every movie is going to be great when you read the script. Watermark the script, send the script to all 6 vendors.

Step 5: Watch the dailies as they come in. Get depressed because every movie is going to be terrible when you watch the dailies. Hope for the best.

Step 6: Get an early cut of the feature, usually just an editor's assembly that is three or more hours long. Send it to vendors with a burn-in (watermark).

Step 7: Get an initial trailer from the vendors. In the end there will be hundreds and hundreds of total versions of various cuts from various vendors as we make our way through the campaign.

Step 8: Get the vendors on fiber, specifically fiber-optic in the feed from their editing room to tweak the trailers as we sit on plush couches staring at a 60 inch television and critique their work while they do the heavy lifting. Drop this, move this, change this, etc. Endlessly. Three to eight times a day.

Step 9: Deal with rock band poo poo heads and their shithead agents when trying to select music cues for the film. Here you'll find the world of over-inflated egos of a string of clueless morons who think you'll pay them a million dollars to use fifteen seconds of their banal dreck to sell a film who's target demographic is twelve-year-old girls.

Step 10: Show trailers to Film Makers in order to get approval. These meetings happen often and you'd think I'd describe it like step 9. However, I have found film makers to be quite genial and professional once you get to this point. Maybe they're just too exhausted after just wrapping production to fight it. They're usually happy. But then again I work for a great studio so I might just be spoiled.

Step 11: Debut trailer. I'm skipping a bunch of stuff but let's get on with it. This is the point we'll be talking about most. That initial trailer or teaser (depending on the length and tone) that you debut for the film. It is usually the first thing you see, before the one-sheet or anything else other than leaked footage. These are often shown at conventions.

Step 12: Start putting out trailer 2, TV Spots. Now we're rolling, getting TV Spots out and moving right along. Six months or more have passed by now. You're sick of the film at this point.

Step 13: Film premiers. Wow I skipped ahead of a lot but here's where you find out if you still have a job. Yay for fickle movie-going public who hate everything! Yay for terrible economy and competing home entertainment systems! Yay for Think Like A Man inexplicably catching America's attention and loving your box office up!

So anyway, let's get on with it. There are trailers every once in a while that make serious waves. The best, weirdest, most effective trailer of the last year was this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKWXEfXGWtA

Done by Josh Goldstine who is awesome, this is just simply loving fantastic. Too bad the box office didn't really jive with the buzz about the teaser.

There are plenty of examples of bad ones, here's one...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wFLRbkzWxo

Watch that if you're okay with seeing the monster, an annoying repetitive and meaningless rattle and getting a seizure before the trailer is over. It is no surprise that the one-sheet is a favorite in the Movie Poster Megathread. Terrible.

kiimo fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Oct 3, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

FoneBone posted:

For CG-heavy movies, who decides which shots get prioritized for the trailers?

This is a bit complicated. When a trailer gets near completion (I haven't even mentioned testing but that is a huge component) the scenes that you're going to need are identified. At that point you've been going back and forth with post production to get certain shots at their highest level of VFX finishing. When you finish the trailer, you want those shots finished at film quality.

This can be tricky. The director might have a shot that he's going to cut from the film instead of pay to have it finished. The producer might disagree with the director. There are lots of meetings where they sit around in a room and iron it out. Kind of a touchy situation when it costs so much money for CGI.

kiimo fucked around with this message at 04:23 on May 10, 2012

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Here's Gangster Squad.

http://trailers.apple.com/trailers/wb/gangstersquad/

kiimo fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Oct 3, 2015

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

My boss loves Jay-Z. The attempt is to create a sense that a film is timely and not a period piece which is less likely to draw numbers (in a very general way, obviously there are exceptions).

Rap might date a trailer but by the time that happens essentially the trailer's primary goal has long since passed which is to put asses in seats.

edit: Also haha that trailer you linked has Scott Speedman. He plays in my basketball rec league. Small world. He dominates, by the way, crazy athletic.

kiimo fucked around with this message at 04:25 on May 10, 2012

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

DivisionPost posted:

First of all -- That was you guys behind the Argo trailer? OUTSTANDING work.

Thanks!

DivisionPost posted:

Yeah, I see how the rap music can be off-putting, but of all the rap music you could've picked this was probably the way to go. It's still a little disassociated from the era, but you guys managed to give the whole thing a unique, pulpy vibe that I really dig -- and with Ruben Flesicher and Will Beall (he wrote some of the more serious and cool episodes of the TV show Castle) involved I'm sure that's exactly the kind of film it is.

Personally I would have gone in a bit of a different direction but maybe that's why I'm not the boss.

I think that the attempt is to show that this is NOT Public Enemies. This is NOT LA Confidential. This is NOT The Untouchables. This is unique, this is new.

And yeah it is Gosling and Stone again and that plays a huge part in the trailer but you should see the numbers on how much recognition they get in the general public.

kiimo fucked around with this message at 04:22 on May 10, 2012

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

edit: better safe than sorry.

kiimo fucked around with this message at 04:17 on May 10, 2012

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

DivisionPost posted:

Out of curiosity, did you ever have any projects where you had great source material, but all the elements had low visibility? I'm sure that's rare to non-existent judging by where you seem to be working, but I'm interested in how you and your vendors would approach it.

Do you mean like, the film is good but there aren't any stars to anchor the trailer to or a well-known story? Because I'm picturing Martha Marcy May Marlene even though we didn't do that.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

DivisionPost posted:

Yeah, pretty much.

There are a lot of really talented vendors out there and some that specialize in smaller films. They concentrate on the story and this might get into the type of trailer where you reveal too much of the story but it might be necessary if you don't have stars or something recognizable.

The nuts and bolts of a good trailer can carry it if it is done well, but of course the most talented people out there end up working on the biggest films with a studio financially backing them.

People are always doing pet projects for their friends all the time though when a smaller film needs to be marketed. You don't need a famous song or a famous person to make a good trailer but if you have the budget you may as well.

We have a film right now that I can't talk about that falls under this category but I'll show the trailer when we're done and you tell me what you think.

ynohtna posted:

I'd love to hear any details or anecdotes you can share on promo testing when/if you get time, kiimo.

I was just thinking that it might not be the greatest idea to talk about testing too much as that falls under a certain kind of "shut the gently caress up, kiimo" category. I can maybe answer some questions without going into specifics.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

ghableska posted:

I know there's a fairly large variety in the types of movie trailers shown today, but would you say that there are any general trends in terms of editing, music, and overall feel that trailers today follow?

Definitely. I mean dubstep has popped up all over the place in the last year.

Case in point:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLSf9vnVsY0

In general there is a lack of voice-over these days. "In a world..."

You see a lot of rap like we do in Gangster Squad coming out, even in period films.

I mentioned it earlier but there are a lot of online pre-trailer viral ads popping up on the internet.

Check it out, here's some fake political ads we just leaked of The Campaign

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=veYJZoPSmyc

The trailer is coming out tomorrow I think on Jimmy Fallon.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

NeuroticErotica posted:

Do you guys really call yourselves post production or was that just for the thread title?

No not really but you work with post production for the majority of the time. We call it the campaign or marketing in general. But when the production wraps you still haven't even locked a trailer so you're going back and forth with post to get certain shots, setting up photo shoots with the talent even after they've moved back home, getting fx shots, that sort of thing. I was just trying to think of something on the fly really.

edit: This trailer is pretty bad but I love seeing Dolph Lundgren in movies again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6_XjQIzGRg

ynohtna posted:

As a more concrete question comes to mind: Given that multiple trailer versions are generally created for modern primo properties, is there a number cruncher somewhere who tracks and analyses all their views, feedback, "social engagement" data, etc, and then instructs the vendors/creative leads accordingly: "more explosions, less dubstep."

We have a resident expert that goes through the pages and pages of testing results. His opinion, as it turns out, is one of the most influential in the company. He looks at the data and makes leaps of logic and I find myself constantly surprised at how much everyone just trusts him at his word.

We usually test like 2 to 5 versions of trailers or TV Spots and compare them to each other, try to discover trends. Too violent, more of this actor or that actor, in this version people have a hard time following the story.

In one of our films the fact that it is a true story resonated really well. Like, surprisingly well so you must make that a focus in everything because that is testing through the roof on everything.

Interestingly, we don't test print art. I really think we should, but we don't.

kiimo fucked around with this message at 18:40 on May 10, 2012

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

My all time favorite teaser. I should post something classic with taste and style from the 70s to reflect my refined palette like The Conversation or something similar but why lie to myself?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uuUEqTKn5Ho

I still get teary-eyed watching it. For some reason I vividly remember my freakout reaching meltdown when I saw Bill the Pony. So strange but for some reason that's when I realized that they were all-in, that they were giving the utmost attention to detail and not glossing over poo poo.

It is already kind of dated but that just makes me love it more.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

sbagliom posted:

I've noticed that, would you happen to know any specific reason why they've stopped? Is it because Don Lafontaine is dead, or do they just assume people don't need help figuring out the plot anymore?

Fashion too I guess. There are a lot of people who could do it but now when it pops up it is more like in our Gangster Squad where it is a character and not a voice-over guy that is setting the scene. We still do a lot of VO for TV Spots though but it is more scripts now. From Josh Duhamel's VO on New Year's Eve...

SOME PEOPLE SWEAR THERE’S NO BEAUTY LEFT IN THE WORLD
NO MAGIC
THEN HOW DO YOU EXPLAIN THE ENTIRE WORLD COMING TOGETHER
ON ONE NIGHT
TO CELEBRATE THE HOPE…
OF A NEW YEAR

...we did New Year's Eve. I'm sorry.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

If you have more classic trailers please post.

kiimo fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Oct 3, 2015

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

DNS posted:

I wonder if Kiimo he has any insight as to how Nolan's trailers have become so distinct. You pretty much know one as soon as it begins. Have they used the same vendor every time? Is Nolan himself involved on any level? He has a close relationship with Warner Brothers, has that facilitated the creating of this consistent Nolan 'brand'? You would love for every trailer to be as good as The Dark Knight's, but perhaps that would also require more movies be like TDK.

A lot to respond to but for now I'll say that the vendors changed but the same SVP did all of them, they have a great relationship. In fact, check that he's actually an EVP now. Nolan works with a lot of the same people on a lot of things so you kind of develop a brand. Thankfully that brand is really top notch. Once again it really helps when you have great source material.

kiimo fucked around with this message at 17:35 on May 11, 2012

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Here's The Campaign with a better link...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDGlQopwXXA

Really though the red band is going to be the funny one, per usual.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

DNS posted:

Point Blank (1967)

The John Boorman/Lee Marvin crime classic (based on the Parker character) is as mean and nasty as they come, and the trailer gets that across with the letters of the title appearing on-screen to the rhythm of Marvin firing a gun into an empty bed. You also get a taste of the psychedelia and New Hollywood nihilism that make the movie so distinct. The whole trailer's keyed around the repeated shot of Lee Marvin walking purposefully down a hallway, and by the end of it you don't know where he's going, but you know he's gonna kick someone's rear end when he gets there.

Alien (1979)

Obviously the greatest trailer ever cut.

Two things. One, I've never seen Point Blank but I now realize how much The Naked Gun/Police Squad was trying to get a Point Blank vibe and how much the MST3K-skewered Mitchell was trying to do the same thing, only seriously.

And that Alien trailer makes me practically LUST for seeing the film right now.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

coldplay chiptunes posted:

Whoa.

What a great segue. Since this thread can't be a PYF thread based on Cinema Discusso rules I will use this segue to stay on topic by posting this:

http://youtu.be/5zp_PnqmUVM

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Are you saying you didn't like The Watchmen? Because I freakin LOVE that movie.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I might as well post this over here too. I'm really proud of this trailer. Buddha Jones did it and they/we/my boss pulled off the impossible.

I'm proud of it because it is pretty easy to make a good film look good. But to make this look remotely scary...that's just talent.

Think about the intention of advertising and do yourself a favor and heed my implied warning about the pitfalls of believing everything you see.

http://trailers.apple.com/trailers/wb/theapparition/

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

So...that's the best take they could get from Anne Hathaway?

Ugh. Go away forever Anne Hathaway.

edit: For posterity, here's someone who can actually control their vibrato...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eA5cU6xTc68

Or if your tastes run this way...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBg2-oZClS0

I'm just saying there are tons of people who could pull this song off looking at Anne Hathaway up there and shaking their heads. Just for star power and her acting style that I never fail to see right through.

edit2: I can't believe Lea Michele didn't get this role. I'd take her pretentiousness in a second to get her voice on this. Also I might take Les Miserables a bit too seriously.

kiimo fucked around with this message at 16:18 on May 30, 2012

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

Your taste in actors never fails to amuse me, kiimo.

Every time Nic Cage gets a role I'm reminded that I'm forever alone with my opinions.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Okay I'm going to stop bitching about Anne, people do like her. But I think the direction of this trailer is wrong.

This is the most famous song of the musical, made stratosphere-level famous by Susan Boyle.

I can practically hear the execs talking about this in the meetings. Mix Anne Hathaway who is the top talent in the film in terms of star power and match her up with "I Dreamed a Dream" which is the top song in terms of recognition BOOM you've got yourself a trailer with built-in audiences and will put people in seats!

But however many tens of millions of people watched the Susan Boyle rendition are all thinking that her performance is miles above of Anne's. They're probably annoyed too, though I haven't looked around. I think this actually will do the opposite and drive them away from the film.

But then again they probably have testing to back them up and I just have my irrational hatred of this actress so that's a perfect example of why testing is what drives movie marketing.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Okay I just found out Sacha Baron Cohen and Helena Bonham Carter are the inn keeper and his wife and that is fantastic.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Jedit posted:

I was at the cinema last night to see The Raid (which is loving awesome, by the way) and they had the cardbard marquee for Rock of Ages in the lobby. When I saw the "pick up the cardboard guitar and have a friend take a photo of you being a rock star!" thing on the front, I knew without looking at the cast that the movie was going be complete and utter poo poo. I don't care who's in it or what it's about - merely purchasing a ticket is going to be enough to shrivel your brain with psychic herpes. Don't do it.

Haha the first one was upstairs in our lobby. There is this whole movement right now with standees and banners and bunting getting more and more ostentatious. It is going to get a lot worse before it gets better.

That said, those things are developed by outside companies and you shouldn't judge the film by them.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Maxwell Lord posted:

That must have been so exciting to see. Everything's on screen just long enough for you to go "What the Hell is that?!"

For the full trailer, you have Harrison Ford doing his best old-timey radio announcer voice.

Haha you never really know if an actor or actress is going to be good at VO or not until they do it. That's awful.

Contrast that with Jon Hamm who discovered he's awesome at it a couple of years ago.

Mercedes-Benz Voiceover

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Robert Denby posted:

The teaser for JJ Abrams' "Star Trek 2" just dropped in out of loving nowhere. It's trying really hard to be the trailer for the first that played before "Cloverfield", but it... doesn't quite work in my opinion.

For another really great "Star Trek" teaser, look no further than the first one, narrated by Orson Welles and with an awesome variation on the Paramount logo by legendary effects pioneer Douglas Trumbull.

Khannnnn?

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

MatCauthon posted:

First trailer for Django Unchained got leaked early: http://www.buzzfeed.com/mikehayes/django-unchained-trailer

Awesome. So awesome.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I didn't notice at first that he's just sitting there smoking while she's bent over scrubbing something in front of him. Haha.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Robert Zemeckis directing live action is an automatic "see" for me but even with that fact, that trailer is pretty engrossing.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Mr. Squishy posted:

Worried that it will explicitly state at the end that it was the hand of god which sets that plane down safely, sort of like Contact or Signs. Did anyone else get that sense from the trailer?

Why would that worry you?

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Cacator posted:

What does SVP stand for?

What specifically are you referring to? If it is anything I've posted it stands for Senior Vice President. SVPs and EVPs (Executive Vice President) are the levels that are in charge of making trailers for studios.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Cacator posted:

Ok, your OP had multiple instances of it and for us not in the industry or working for companies that don't have an extensive hierarchy of vice presidents it was not familiar.

Yeah sorry about that. Corporate acronyms truly take over your brain as you age.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Max22 posted:

A bad director couldn't have made The Sixth Sense or Signs*. But a good director can easily make something lovely, especially if he's also the screenwriter and the script is garbage.

*Yes I know 50% of you are about to disagree with me

Everybody forgets Unbreakable.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I love the rare moment when you see certain trailers and you're just, "Yep. I'm there. That was made for me."

I just really hope the overall theme isn't in support of Scientology and rather shows L. Ron Hubbard's stand-in to be a psychotic, drug-addled lunatic. The fact that Tom Cruise had issues with this film seems to bode well however.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Supercar Gautier posted:

Still disappointed they didn't title it Taken 2 The Limit.

It also ruins the opportunity for the trilogy film, Taken 2 The Limit One More Time.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

We just cut a 3 minute trailer for CineEurope for Argo. The way that thing is testing certainly helped.

Also I need to mention again how much I loving loved Dragon Tattoo. I didn't read the book or see the Swedish version. But man I loved it.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I've mentioned too many times my irrational hatred of Paul Dano and that actually looks good. I might actually see that.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Oh man that's some bad copy.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Who disliked the reboot??

Those people, in a universal blanket statement, are morons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

nm

kiimo fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Jul 19, 2012

• Locked thread