Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
As far as trailers go that have an obvious attunement to the sensibilities of the director(s) themselves, one of my all-time favorites has to be for A Serious Man:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FYtprwg1As

The looping audio track does such a wonderful job of simultaneously creating a sense of anxiety, humor, and rising interest. By the end of the trailer I always have to remind myself that the beat that I'm keeping is the sound of Larry Gopnik's head hitting a chalkboard. You can't ask for more in a trailer.

kaujot posted:

Paul Thomas Anderon's The Master gets a trailer (teaser? Whatever, it's finally here!) and it is hypnotic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9oZDKFoCqAw

If PTA can squeeze that performance out of Joaquin Phoenix, I can't wait to see what he does with Philip Seymour Hoffman. I think this is a movie we will all talk about for a long, long time.

Jewmanji fucked around with this message at 20:38 on May 21, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Harry Privates posted:

You can see that already in Boogie Nights.

Too true, but Boogie Nights is almost 15 years old now, both PTA and Philip Seymour Hoffman have improved their trades by leaps and bounds since then (even since Magnolia). I wonder if There Will Be Blood will be considered something of a turning point in PTA's career (could also just be two movies filled with dread and scored by Jonny Greenwood, we'll see!)

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
I guess I kind of ignored it the first time I heard it was Baz Luhrman, but I have to say that looks absolutely abysmal. I think his skills were well suited to Romeo and Juliet, which has also seen so many different adaptations that it doesn't seem like a huge sin to gently caress certain parts of it up anymore, but The Great Gatsby definitely deserves a more subtle touch. I'm sure DiCaprio will be as good as always, but there seems to me a really jarring disconnect between the voice in my head when I read Fitzgerald's prose, and what Luhrman puts on the screen.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
I think it has more in common with early Michael Bay films than Terrence Malick, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_sUlupV48I

drat, in retrospect did Michael Bay catch any flak for casting all 14 of those crew members as men? Liv Tyler is the only woman in that movie and she spends the entire length of it crying.

Jewmanji fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Jul 25, 2012

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Alhazred posted:

I don't really see it. The Man of Steel teaser is really trying to to be as low key as possible while that clip is Michael Bay trying waay to hard say that this is important, this matters, a thousand Hindus are hoping that Bruce Willis drills that asteroid hard.

Yeah, maybe it isn't the strongest case, but I don't think it really bears much resemblance to Malick either. Maybe I'm just defensive of Malick's style, but I think there's more to it than high-contrast close-ups of pastoral imagery. It really seemed like it was trying to key into this weird Americana thing that reminded me of Bay's flag-waving.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

DivisionPost posted:

Zero Dark Thirty:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vcBjOVKKxh0

Kathryn Bigelow and Mark Boal dramatize the hunt for Osama bin Laden. Stars Joel Edgerton, Mark Strong, Jessica Chastain, Chris Pratt, Kyle loving Chandler, Mark Duplass (!), and quite a few others you may or may not recognize.

I'd say more but there's...really nothing to add. I'm one of the shocking few around here that thought The Hurt Locker was fantastic, and I don't really mind changing certain details for dramatic effect. I say bring it on.

Whoever is saying "when was the last time you saw Bin Laden!?" sounds just like Aaron Paul and it's very distracting. Also gently caress this movie. There's no reason to make a dramatization of this whatsoever, when an actual well-produced documentary would be not only more entertaining, but also not offensive. Way to go Bigelow.

edit: I resent the implication on the part of this film and its creators that I will somehow be "entertained" by a re-enactment of OBL being shot in the head. Though of course ticket sales will prove me wrong, people are going to flock to this.

Jewmanji fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Aug 6, 2012

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Steve Yun posted:

I'm willing to give Bigelow the benefit of the doubt that this film might have something more to it than just revenge entertainment.

I'm also pretty sure that even if it is a smart movie, most audiences will just go there for the revenge entertainment. You remember how Inglourious Basterds went down, don't you?

I hope you're right, but I think it's being very generous to call The Hurt Locker subversive. Frankly I thought it was one of the most high-profile pro-war movies to come out in a long time.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

scary ghost dog posted:

But... Wasn't the entire premise of the movie how war irreparably harms the mind?

Maybe. I didn't find that the movie worked very hard to establish that as tragic, and any possible merit it gained from that pursuit was ultimately sabotaged by being wrapped in a veneer of stylized slow-motion and lovely nu-metal. It could be that Bigelow's penchant for technically impressive film-work got in the way of what she was actually trying to say, but the whole thing felt like a blunt instrument to me, and I find it hard to believe that a two-hour thriller about the hunt for OBL will have time for anything more than shoot-outs and cool looking night-vision.

I mean for god's sake, it's called "Zero Dark Thirty", if that's not supposed to appeal to the Modern Warfare demographic with it's struck-through text I don't know what is. Purely from a writer's standpoint, what story is there to tell in that bit of history? Is it going to be a cautionary tale about the limits of American military might, with a final shot of the twin towers in the background a la Munich, or is it likely just going to be a celebration of our soldiers and their commitment to looking cool while killing folks.

edit: I just went back and looked at some of the reviews for The Hurt Locker, and I feel like I watched a completely different movie. It almost reads as an onion article to see Ebert calling it the second best film of the decade behind Synecdoche New York :psyduck:

Jewmanji fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Aug 6, 2012

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
Is this a narrative film? The website was fairly scant on information and it has no wikipedia page.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
Why is this movie about white people?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bgw394ZKsis

A few guesses at the dialogue, "Whew, what a terrible vacation, thank god that's over with!", "This wave ruined our hotel beach-side pool! I must speak to the manager!".

Jewmanji fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Aug 21, 2012

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
This looks like it could have been an awesome movie in the hands of a different director- something about slow-motion gunplay and gangster film doesn't sit well with me. Aside from the fun costuming, it doesn't look like it's very appropriately stylized. That said, the cast is too stacked for me not to see it. Here's hoping.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
I was an outspoken opponent of Zero Dark Thirty when the teaser was posted in this thread, but I have to concede that this new trailer makes it look full of potential

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXkccpnoetw

It's no secret that Kathryn Bigelow is wonderful at the technical aspects of film-making, but I hope she can drive home a really compelling story this time too.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Virgin posted:

Was that...Andy from Parks and Rec playing horse shoes with Joel Edgerton?

It will take some getting used to. I can't imagine seeing him kill OBL.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

scary ghost dog posted:

What's wrong with making things extremely dramatic?

Also it's the true story of hunting down OBL...doesn't sound like it needs any extra dramatic padding.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

zenintrude posted:

Upstream Color:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdYO3KWmcv8

Feels like if P.T. Anderson and Terrence Malick had a baby, it would be Shane Carruth making this.

Wow, I had not heard about this, but this has skyrocketed it to the top of my list. I sort of thought Shane Carruth would probably never do another movie, and now it looks like maybe he even got a bit more cash to work with. This looks great... I think?

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Vagabundo posted:

http://youtu.be/KVu3gS7iJu4

Second Man of Steel trailer is out. We get a look at Lois Lane and General Zod in this.

This is the most generic, samey trailer I can recall in a while. I'm so sick of the ominous choir score in front of everything- it feels like a relic from the 90's and is an automatic :rolleyes: for me.

Someone should do a mash-up of this trailer with the most recent Star Trek one. I'm reasonably sure it would be nearly impossible to tell the difference between half of it. Why does Superman need to go dark? Because Batman did it and made +$2 billion?

I have no faith in Zack Snyder whatsoever, especially if he's claiming to focus on the "human element," which has never existed for even the briefest moment in any convincing way in any of his films. I guess a 20 minute childhood prologue (sound familiar?) before blowing half of NYC up is what he considers "intelligent film-making".

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

qntm posted:

Um, yes?

You say that like I'm the dumb one for thinking that's a cynical way to approach films. I love Nolan's Batman movies to death, but not everything has to be a "dark, gritty, realistic" re-imagining. In its case for selling me on the film, the trailer's pitch is essentially "this time we're going to ape Nolan's style so it will be better!"

I'm not going to stand up on the hill and proclaim this to be the worst movie of all time (certainly not after only seeing a trailer), but I do think it's a sign of the times that people will get excited for a movie that is a) not original in subject matter or b) not original in presentation. At this point it's like a mix-n-match in the superhero genre. Ok hm... pick a hero... pick an actor... pick a color scheme... got it! So you want to do make a Superman movie? Great, I love Superman, show me something I've never seen before. Oh you're just doing Superman, Nolan-style? gently caress off.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

kiimo posted:

Here's the sad truth. You make a trailer you have like a hundred cuts of like 15 or so. You test them and find out certain things. Like you get a boost of ten percent or something when you add explosions. Those percentage points are proven time and time again to directly translate to opening-week box office numbers and that's what trailers are for.

There are a lot of people who want to know that "this movie has everything", there are people who avoid movies that are too cerebral and there are people who think explosions mean the movie is going to be fun. There are people who quite literally don't want to think in movies. You read enough testing results you become less enamored with the idea of catering to the small percentage of people who, for example, think blockbuster disasters ruin a movie.

Blame the American movie-going audiences.

I agree that that's how the system works- in some sense I applaud you for looking at this in the most pragmatic way possible, and in fact I agree with everything you wrote. I understand that with an investment as large as a summer blockbuster, every little detail is going to be focus-grouped to death, and that, much like a Top 40 hit (not meant to be pejorative), it has to "have everything" like you mentioned.

I do think though, that especially in this genre of film-making, no matter how much the trailers are poured over to achieve maximum effect, they still do a fairly accurate job portraying what you're going to get (or maybe it's just a collective acknowledgement of what we're in for, and a familiarity with the various genres this type of IP will span). But with all of that said, why then should I spend my money on it? If it's meant to entertain as many people as possible, then there's no way it's going to offend or surprise anyone's sensibilities, and therefore it just seems, to put it obviously, like a piece of mindless entertainment. If I was a big enough comic book fan or Superman fan to need to absolutely absorb every single iteration of the character, then I have plenty of reason to see this, but as someone who feels the need to be sold on why I should spend $10 and 2+ hours of my life, what is the value proposition here?

If you're the type of person who is just excited about having a generally fun and undemanding 2 hours, then maybe this movie will do it for you. But when I look at this trailer, I feel like I've seen this movie before, a million times over. And I feel like if I don't see the Man of Steel, I'll get to see a movie just like it the next year (or, maybe 2 when the inevitable sequel comes out). Maybe I'm expecting too much from a summer blockbuster, but it's a genre that from its inception has proven to sometimes be more than "just another movie" and can bring something special to audiences. I don't have any faith, from what I've seen, that this is going to be one of those movies, and it's a shame because Superman is a really special character. I'm at the stage where I'm not going to see a Superman movie just because Superman is in it. Why not just watch Donner's again?

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
I guess I should applaud Zack Snyder for showing the restraint not to use that stupid bit of choreography that shows up in all of his movies where a character lands in a crouched position, legs spread, preferably in slow-motion, then looks up menacingly at the camera.

I'll eat my hat if Superman doesn't do that in this film though.

Jewmanji fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Dec 12, 2012

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplayl...medium=facebook

Here's the trailer for The Place Beyond the Pines, the new movie from Derek Cianfrance (Blue Valentine), with Ryan Gosling, Bradley Cooper, Ben Mendelsohn, and some other awesome people. This looks utterly fantastic, and I'm going to rev the hype train as hard as I can for what should be one of the best movies of 2013. March can't come soon enough.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
I for one enjoy a trailer that doesn't reveal the entire first half of the film. Go back and watch the Primer trailer- it's just as cryptic and doesn't even mention time travel. All I need to see is "From the writer and director of Primer" and I will give it a shot. I feel like I got enough of a sense of the overall tone of the film to not get blindsided expecting a rom-com or a period drama, and that's all I really need to know.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

fenix down posted:

Did anyone post the trailer for Tree of Life 2?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTAzcTZTY1g

(it's actually To the Wonder)

I wish this hadn't premiered at festivals this summer, it's making the wait unbearable.

I'm always amazed at how balletic and choreographed the movements of Malick's characters are, particularly in any moving shot. It seems almost impossibly well-constructed, the kind of effect you can only achieve with a lot of skill, and a lot of takes.

Jewmanji fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Jan 16, 2013

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

How about a more down to Earth trailer for a simpler film, then?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwx1f0kyNwI

Wow, they had to throw in "The United States doesn't negotiate with terrorists!" and followed it up with an instant Die Hard rip-off/homage.

I'm amazed that Hollywood can pump out 5-6 of these a year and people still go to see them. I guess there's a constant supply of young people who haven't yet been inured to this kind of dumb poo poo yet.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
Here's the trailer for the latest Coen Brothers movie, "Inside LLewyn Davis". Obviously it looks amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5ngyALMRR4

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
Think that trailer is the final straw for me in terms of checking out the Pusher trilogy. This movie looks absolutely terrific.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
Full Ender's Game trailer here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vP0cUBi4hwE

Guess I wasn't really sure what to expect- I always imagined the scenery in that book being much more claustrophobic and 2001-esque. Asa Butterfield and Hailee Stanfield seem like great choices, I really hope this is more memorable than it looks.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Bugblatter posted:

The top rated comment is someone complaining that they cast one character as "a chick. a black chick." loving YouTube.

The production design for the film just looks like a video game to me. As others said, it doesn't have any sort of an oppressive feel, and I always imagined the visual execution as being more "grounded." Not necessarily 2001, but that sense of plausibility in the aesthetic. I think that's what's killing me the most.

It definitely seems positioned to compete against The Hunger Games, which may or may not be a good thing. It's ever-increasing popularity is almost its worst asset at this point- it would've been amazing if a more auteur but still big-production director could've made it their own vision, like Paul Verhoeven, without needing to recoup an insane budget.

The battle room isn't at all what I had pictured in my mind, which is why I think I'm having trouble connecting to this. I certainly don't care to nitpick, and if they've managed to adapt the text and breathe new life into it in an interesting way, I'm all for it, but it didn't make the hairs on my hand stand up the way some classic adaptations did when we first saw them. If they aren't going to let themselves be constrained by the text, I really really hope they'll bring something fun and original to it. I'm just relieved that they found someone to play Ender who seems up to the task... what if it really had been Jake Lloyd? Speaker for the Dead would look like Billy Corgan:

Democratic Pirate posted:

The main thing is that I always imagined the battleroom to be white walls with dark grey stars floating around.

This exactly. A stark white cube.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

muscles like this? posted:

The weird thing about that Ender's Game trailer is that it doesn't really look like its using the central premise of the book, ie that the whole thing is presented as a training exercise and not actually war.

As far as this is concerned, if you want to read Card's explanation, "The first decision I made was not to pursue the Peter/Valentine subplot with the Internet, because that's just watching people type things into the computer. The second decision I made was to give that information about the surprise at the end from the start. In my script we know who Mazer Rackham really is and we know what is at stake as Ender plays his games. But Ender doesn't know, so I think the suspense is actually increased because the audience knows we're about the business of saving the world and that everything depends on this child not understanding that. We care all the more about whether he wins – and we worry that he might not want to. As we watch the adults struggle to get control of Ender, we pity him because of what's happening to him, but we want the adults to succeed. I think it makes for a much more complex and fascinating film than it would have been if I had tried to keep secrets.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Terrifying Effigies posted:

20 minutes

20 minutes

Consider myself corrected :shepicide:

I mean, none of the shots in that movie were actually as long as they appeared- all of them were stitched together from smaller shots. I'm not saying that necessarily takes anything away from it- it's still a wonderful movie and even if those tracking shots at half their actual length they are all immensely impressive.

edit: Also that teaser was absolutely breathtaking. I might care too much about space and the ISS to stomach watching something so scary...

I'm rarely tempted to keep myself in the dark about a movie's plot- can anyone with some familiarity of the film say whether this is one where it's best to go in blind? I know obviously no one has seen it, but for some strange reason I'm feeling the impulse to resist reading up about it. Like, I'm not even entirely sure what genre this movie is going to be- horror, hard sci-fi...?

Jewmanji fucked around with this message at 03:57 on May 10, 2013

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

TTBF posted:

It really depends upon how much of the movie is set in space. Space is a pretty sparse thing. If you have an astronaut in the foreground and the space station in the background, there's no real way to tell the distance between them unless you're already familiar with the size of both objects. There's nothing else out there to help you measure distance. The Earth? Well that's so big and so far away as to not be any help. There are some scenes in space (as in outside of the station) where 3D would work, but they're the ones where everything is being torn apart. After everything's all torn apart, it goes back to being useless as there are still no visual identifiers to help you gauge distance, and all of the debris is of an unknown size so you wouldn't be able to use those either.

I really don't see 3D being an addition to the movie at all if the majority of it is in space. And when you consider that space is a rather dark place and 3D makes things even darker - it would only detract from the movie. But that's all under the assumption that the movie is focused mainly around the people stranded in space after that happens. If the focus is on rescue mission planning on Earth, a space ship, or the space station (pre-destruction) then it might useful. Even then it's probably no different than all other post-converted 3D.

e: Space is a dark place, except for when they're exposed to the sun - at which point half of them would be fairly well lit. The ISS orbits too fast for them to never be in the Earth's shadow though.

Obviously Avatar wasn't post-processed, but if this movie were also filmed specifically for 3D (and some of Clooney's comments seem to suggest it was), then I think one of the advantages is in creating a sense of scale. Amidst all of the other technical triumphs of Avatar, the one thing that I always remember was just how enormous the 3D was able to make certain elements of the film appear. I imagine having an astronaut floating around with a properly 3D earth in the background could be jaw-dropping if done well. Also in the teaser there's a shot of one of the astronauts reaching right up to the camera to grab a rogue screw that seems like a pretty big hint as to how critical the 3D might be.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

TTBF posted:

I went back and watched it with these posts in mind, and I am now under the impression that the movie was filmed with 3D in mind and that it will quite probably work. I've been having a lot of fun trying to figure out how exactly they're going to make it, which got me sidetracked into finding out just how difficult actual astronauts find it to perceive distance in space. So I'm already enjoying this movie. Thanks trailer!

This is obviously ambiguous to the point of being useless, but if it hypes you up:

Slate posted:

According to Guillermo del Toro, Cuarón and his collaborators (including Children of Men cinematographer Emmanuel Lubezki) consulted filmmakers like David Fincher and James Cameron for help with their plans, because they were “so insane,” and Cameron said “look, you’re about five years into the future … it’s too early to try anything like that.” Yet Del Toro says they pulled it off.

More quotes from Del Toro here (only the slightest spoiler which I think has been mentioned on this very page)

http://www.slashfilm.com/guillermo-del-toro-james-cameron-call-alfonso-cuarons-gravity-insane/

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Deakul posted:

Crash is a bad movie now?
This is news to me.

I think there's pretty much consensus on the fact that Crash is the worst movie to ever win Best Picture.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Vagabundo posted:

Look at all the trailers being posted.

Red-band trailer for Inside Llewyn Davis.

http://youtu.be/R4GGOXkY5CI

I'm kind of pissed that they are waiting till Oscar season to release this movie since I can safely assume that the Coens will get snuffed again like they always do.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

The Cameo posted:

They're multiple-time Academy Award winners, I'm not exactly sure what the hell you're talking about.

Blood Simple, Raising Arizona, Miller's Crossing, Barton Fink, The Man Who Wasn't There, O Brother Where Art Thou, A Serious Man, and True Grit have 0 Oscars between them. They won 2 for Fargo and 4 for No Country. Not saying those are all best picture winners, but their last film, True Grit, was nominated for 10 categories and didn't win a single one (losing to Alice in Wonderland and The Kings Speech etc.) The Academy Awards are stupid, and I wish they would just release this movie now is all I'm saying.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
Here's the trailer for Ain't Them Bodies Saints, or as I like to call it, Badlands 2: Badlander.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ga0c0v-stK0

It looks utterly awesome.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

justlikedunkirk posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SD5oMxbMcHM

I've seen this documentary. It is insane. It's one of the few documentaries I've seen where it really feels like something truly groundbreaking. I'm sure it'll get word around once more people see it.

This looks amazing, can you say a little more about it?

The executive producers are Errol Morris and Werner Herzog. I know they aren't really creatively involved but...what a dream team.

Jewmanji fucked around with this message at 04:01 on May 26, 2013

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

High Warlord Zog posted:

Stunt Casting! Stunt Casting! Stunt Casting! Sofia Vergara with machine gun tits aggressively pelvic thrusting! Explosion! Machete Kills! A knowingly stupid movie.

You know what like about the crappy exploitation movies the Rodriguez likes to pay tribute to? I like that they’re sincere in their stupidity. Rodriguez is so drat self-conscious that he can’t do anything dumb without thrusting his tounge to his cheek, winking repeatedly at the audience and then yelling “Hey guys! I’m being IRONIC! Amiright!”.

I pretty much feel this way about Tarantino, for what it's worth.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

The MSJ posted:

The Hobbit part 2 now have a trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJhE5OWaSho

Aside from my general disinterest in this new trilogy, this trailer is really poorly made. It's absolutely generic in appearance, dialog, pace, music, etc. If the pitch for this movie is "there is a dragon in it", I will be staying home.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
It looks like a pretty shameful hagiography to me. It also feels oddly dated- like a biopic from the late 90's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Devour posted:

First teaser of Ridley Scott's The Counselor

Its in Russian though, but holy poo poo still.

http://www.ropeofsilicon.com/counselor-movie-trailer-ridley-scott/

I had literally no idea Cormac McCarthy was doing an original screenplay, holy poo poo, I am embarrassed to have not known about this.

• Locked thread