Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures
For CG-heavy movies, who decides which shots get prioritized for the trailers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
It's frustrating how even trailers from the relatively recent past can (seemingly) disappear. Good luck finding that aforementioned Starship Troopers teaser, or the original Fifth Element teaser, anywhere on the internet.

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
The only version I can find of that Fifth Element teaser, for the curious:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBHA8eR3lj8&t=0m8s

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
Robert Denby - I've never heard the term "special shoot" before - is this something actually used in the industry?

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004

Robert Denby posted:

Strange Days (1995)

This is one of my all-time favorites, even if it's terrible at actually selling the film. "Are we beginning to see the possibilities here?"

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
White House Down is also being rushed...got moved up from an originally-scheduled November release date. This happened last year with both of the Snow White movies, and I don't think it was good for either.

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004

Gonz posted:

Hint: It's Olympus Has Fallen.

E: f,b
Also like Deep Impact - it's coming out first, has a lower budget, and will likely gross less than White House Down.

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004

Barudak posted:

North Korea is like the Amish, they'll never know we're making fun of them.

That's kind of it - they're so walled off from the West as to be a safe target. China, though, is becoming an extremely lucrative market, and no studio wants to piss off the government there.

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004

PaganGoatPants posted:

Interesting teaser. Have no idea what the movie about other than it involves space. :iiam:

Also there are cornfields and Matthew McConaughey drives a truck while looking sad

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004

N3RDSTER posted:

First trailer for Licy, and action/sci-fi with Scarlett Johansson:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CnrazBIAMt8

Looks like a pretty fun action flick. I rolled my eyes at the whole '10% of our brain' thing, but I did the same for Limitless and that wasn't terrible.

The trailer makes Johansson's character look nigh-invincible, which is boring as gently caress. (Yes, I'm sure there are side effects that we don't see here, but still.)

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004

Barf Wight posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1_E84So-2I
Dracula Begins

Am I crazy or does this look like a video game-y sort of fun movie?

The weirdest thing about this is the title appearing onscreen ~30 seconds in. That's been out of vogue for around 20 years (or more) now.

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004

It allegedly tested really well, enough for WB to move it up from October to July. Go figure.

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004

morestuff posted:

I'm not opposed to the concept but that Jem trailer looked so cheap I assume the producer embezzled the money to buy a yacht or something

It's from Blumhouse (the "microbudget" producers of Paranormal Activity, Insidious, and The Purge, among others), so it was probably only seven figures total.

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
I'm not familiar with Luke Bracey, but going by that trailer he may well be the least interesting actor currently working.

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004

LORD OF BUTT posted:

Yeah, you can show redbands before R-rated movies. Trailer content is actually gated pretty heavily by the rating of the movie it's attached to, it's why you don't see trailers for stuff like The Hangover on kids movies period.
MPAA has actually allowed "poo poo" and other profanity in greenband trailers for a good few years now (it's "approved for appropriate audiences," rather than "approved for all audiences").

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004

Corek posted:

Deadpool is releasing in February, so that should tell you what Fox thinks of it.

Dude, February hasn't been a dumping ground in years. Nor January, actually. In fact, the idea of a dumping ground has been dying for a while.

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004

computer parts posted:

February traditionally only has Valentine's Day films. This year, the only notable release that couldn't be called a dumped film is 50 Shades of Grey.

Now March on the other hand, that has had its share of releases (300, Watchmen, BvS, maybe it's just a Zach Snyder thing?).

That isn't true at all re: February, at least since 2003 when Daredevil opened then. Heck, look at stuff like the LEGO Movie and Kingsman, just in the past few years.

January used to be a dumping ground, to be sure, but movies like Taken, Gran Torino, and (most of all) American Sniper doing big business then has changed that.

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Aw for gently caress's sake, they're making another one of those?

It made almost half a billion dollars

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004

Jewmanji posted:

The use of Sabotage has got to be the worst choice for a trailer in a long time. Absolutely tone-deaf (and I don't care that it's a reference to previous Trek stuff). Maybe worse than San Andreas. Definitely worse than San Andreas.

I have no interest in the actual movie but the California Dreamin' cover in the San Andreas trailer was awesome

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

HP is huge and this will get the hype train rolling nicely. Episode 7'a first teaser was thanksgiving last year so year+ teasers are nothing new.

Come to think of it, I wonder what's the longest gap between any teaser/trailer and the actual movie. The original LOTR teaser had dates for all 3, right?

I guess that'd count. Other than that, the furthest-in-advance examples I can think of are The Incredibles (teaser in front of Finding Nemo in summer 2003; movie released November 2004) and The Peanuts Movie (which got also got a teaser a good 18 or 19 months in advance).

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004

LORD OF BUTT posted:

Hey, kiimo, this might be out of your knowledge since Amazon Studios picked it up but do you have any idea what's going on with Neon Demon, Nicolas Winding Refn's new movie? It wrapped filming back in November and has been publicly known about for over a year, but there hasn't been a single trailer for it yet that I can find, which seems out of the ordinary .

How is it at all unusual for there not to be a trailer for a film that only wrapped two months ago?

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004

A real trailer. Dark, brooding, important, groundbreaking.

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004

Jewmanji posted:

Here's the trailer for Natalie Portman as Jackie Kennedy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZTXv5NpgaI

It's a great trailer, but a clip I saw was almost unbearably bad. We'll see.

Not sure what clip that was, but this got raves at the Venice and Toronto film festivals. Supposed to eschew the Oscar-bait biopic cliches in favor of something much more experimental and arty (the music is by the composer of Under the Skin's soundtrack).

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004

algebra testes posted:

That, as whole complete package, was not a good film.

But goddamn, if it doesn't have a tonne of great components.

Stormare and Tilda Swinton are both fantastic in it.

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004

GrandpaPants posted:

Yeah that sure is a Malick movie.

What happened to A Voyage of Time? Did that actually come out? I figured Malick doing trippy space imagery and landscapes would have gotten some traction, but I haven't heard a thing about it.

It came out. There are three versions - a 45-minute IMAX version with narration by Brad Pitt (which I think is mostly playing in museums), an "ultrawidescreen" IMAX version with no narration, and a feature-length version with Cate Blanchett narrating. I don't believe the longer version has been commercially released in the US yet.

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004

Shageletic posted:

The reviews haven't been kind, so it might be the best version of it. Would love to see Theron go up against her former castmate Keanu sometime tho.

PriorMarcus posted:

No, neither of those places resulted in good reviews.

I wouldn't call them glowing, but what?

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Year One killed them dead for a while because it was extremely lazy.

Don't forget Your Highness. Or A Million Ways to Die in the West.

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004

Cash Monet posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FStnSqKi9KI

Weather control satellites start causing natural disasters, starring Gerard Butler.

This was originally filmed in 2014 and has subsequently gone through three release dates (prior to its current one) and heavy reshoots with a new director and the addition of Jerry Bruckheimer as a producer.

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004

BigglesSWE posted:

It reminds me of Emmerich. Is this Emmerich? I'm too disinterested to even check.

It's Dean Devlin, best known as the producer of a number of Emmerich's films, making his directorial debut.

Gonz posted:

Produced by Bruckheimer.

Directed by Danny Cannon, of Judge Dredd and I Still Know What You Did Last Summer fame.

Cannon only did the reshoots (though those might end up being a large portion of the final film given what a mess this is).

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
Trailer tease for Darren Aronofsky's psychological horror flick mother!

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
Re: Theron, how could you all forget the timeless classics that are Mighty Joe Young and The Legend of Bagger Vance.

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004

GrandpaPants posted:

I thought Daniel Day Lewis retired? Either way, that trailer was enthralling and I want very much to watch that movie.

He announced his retirement after Phantom Thread had finished filming.

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004

Her Story was Good Stuff so I'm pretty optimistic about this

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I'm not really sure if it counts as nepotism when the only associations coming from your family name are universally negative.

Was there a Dakota Fanning scandal I missed somewhere?

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
Can’t think of a example of failing upward in the Hollywood Boys’ Club much better than Robert Rodriguez getting this gig when he hasn’t had anything resembling a hit since Sin City back in 2005

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004

Dillbag posted:

Robopocalypse is p bad too. I think Senior Spielbergo has optioned the rights to that one as well.

Back in 2013 Spielberg postponed it indefinitely a few months before the scheduled start of production due to needing "more time", and there's been no substantive news since then. Pretty sure it's dead.

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004

Vagabundo posted:

Didn't that already happen, when seemingly every YA novel series that was even vaguely Twilight-esque was getting an adaptation? I think it had Jeremy Irons in it.

Beautiful Creatures (which came out the same year as Mortal Instruments) was the YA supernatural romance bullshit adaptation with Jeremy Irons. The only reason I remember that was that the trailer promised Irons and Emma Thompson chewing scenery at each other, and if anything could possibly interest me about a YA supernatural romance, it was that. I still couldn’t be bothered to see it.

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004

clown shoes posted:

At this point I will see anything A24 puts out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6wWKNij_1M

This got raves at Sundance, so I'm pretty hyped.

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004

Proteus Jones posted:

What a loving brilliant marketing campaign.

Brilliant marketing. The actual movie, though... well, I can see why Paramount shuffled it around the calendar for a year before dropping it altogether.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004

Bruteman posted:

This looks cool. Freeze-framing the first few seconds shows a few little details about whatever is killing people - wasn't there a book released in the last few years with a similar conceit? That these monsters show up and everybody has to go out of their way to avoid them? Instead of sound, it's they can't look at the monsters.
Sounds like Bird Box, which is also coming out as a movie soonishly (on Netflix, with Sandra Bullock). Don't really know how you convey that on film.

• Locked thread