Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Codependent Poster posted:

Still not as bad as removing the Spider-Man trailer with the WTC. And probably cutting it from the movie.

It was never a part of the movie.

Also, there's no confirmation that they're recutting Gangster Squad, just that they've considered it. Now it seems like they may delay the film into next year, which to me sounds like they're waiting for the story to blow over so they don't have to do reshoots.

e: vvv I wasn't implying anything nefarious. I said the same thing you did, only I speculated that an upside of disassociating themselves was them not having to do reshoots.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Jul 25, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

LesterGroans posted:

Couple of trailers out:

Killing Them Softly. Director of The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford working with Pitt and Rockwell again and bringing along James Gandolfini, Richard Jenkins, Ben Mendelsohn and Sam Shepard? I'm really, really sold. Heard great things about it and the trailer works for me.

I'm surprised at the tone. Based on Assassination I was expecting something more meditative again. I'm going in cautious on this, since Assassination is one of my favorite films of all time and my expectations are going to really have to be reigned in.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Let's get some new Arnold up in here. Last Stand trailer:

http://trailers.apple.com/trailers/newline/thelaststand/

I'm curious to see how Arnold's particular brand of talent holds up these days. So much of his charm came from just being weird in a way that really meshed with 80s and 90s sensibilities I'm curious to see if it still comes across in our overly gritty times.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I absolutely loving loved the first Wall-E trailer.

The Tron 2 reveal (while not really a trailer) was also so loving good. I'm linking the comic com cam link because the audience reaction to the light cycle reveal was basically mine.

Oh man, seeing that with the audience reaction of people having their minds utterly blown is amazing :3:

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

ProfessorProf posted:

I really, really hope that Pacific Rim doesn't turn out to be Cloverfield with Robots.

Devin Faraci confirmed that it's not a handheld/shakeycam film.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I don't get the backlash on the trailer, other than "lol M. Night has made a bunch of bad movies so I bet this one will be bad too." Can anyone give me a breakdown of reasons outside of that? I rather enjoyed the trailer.

e: Also, Will Smith is in a blockbuster where he's not just playing Will Smith. This is a good thing.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Dec 11, 2012

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Holy poo poo does the Lone Ranger trailer look awful. Just goddamn awful.

In all seriousness, you know what would have made that trailer work for me? The goddamn Native American werwolf drug-induced fever dreams that were the only interesting part about the original pitch. That got cut.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Definitely the best fan trailer I've seen since this Tron one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jp2gGqgn3Fw

If anyone knows of any other great ones out there I'm definitely interested in seeing more of this sort of thing.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Yup, looks just about as bad as it sounded.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

penismightier posted:

Ya know you're right. This looks more like the Shakespeare movie everyone made in high school to get out of taking the test.

You nailed it completely, it looks exactly like my friend's English 10 extra credit project :stare:

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Uh-oh. I accidentally started editing a Blade Runner trailer for fun. I've got an audio track down pat I think, but have yet to tackle much of the video. Having never edited for the trailer format before, does anyone know of any good online resources?

e: Well, here's a thing I spent way too much time on:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zNgOECX-m8

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Mar 13, 2013

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Zzulu posted:

Jim looked to be the only good part of that trailer

Jim Carrey is acting in a movie I want to see in the theaters. Everyone is acting in a movie that I might catch on TV.

Fragmented posted:

That fan trailer for Pacific Rim owns. I love that the guys that made it can't get a girl for glados and a black guy for Idris Elba, it's so well done for looking that low budget too.

If you're unaware, that trailer is a type of parody called "swedeing" that popped up after Be Kind Rewind. There's a few good ones out there and a lot of awful ones.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Could The Lone Ranger look any less interesting?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=ngQ15f9eZ0M

Ror posted:

As an aside, is that movie any good? I remember the trailer for it being really fun and I thought it was a neat concept. But I naturally forgot about it and I've never heard anyone talk about it except when explaining sweded movies.

It's decent, but not really the movie the trailer was selling so people ended up being pretty disappointed. It's more of a light drama about a financially impoverished community.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Mar 13, 2013

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
e: double post

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Mar 13, 2013

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Hot drat, if you gave me a description of 2 Guns it would not be something I'd care to see, but I was sold after a little over a minute of that trailer.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Gonz posted:

New viral TV spot for Man of Steel:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6g2ZSuWyM4

Kneel before Nelson van Alden, you fools.

Knowing what we know about the plot of the film that Kal-El was an illegal natural born child on Krypton that TV spot sets up an incredibly interesting dynamic between Zod and Superman.

No wonder WB is going loving nuts over this movie.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Apr 15, 2013

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

scary ghost dog posted:

Just wanna say, I fuckin love this effect. Introducing to the cool new digital version of VHS scan lines, everyone! Relish in how much cooler it is to look at, how much more frightening it will probably be in horror movies! Check out this great effect!

Edit: In case you're not clear what effect I'm talking about, here's a music video with a million examples (please tolerate the mediocre garden rock):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvqakws0CeU

A recent episode of Adventure Time used this to incredible effect.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Mywhatacleanturtle posted:

I swear to god, I could practically hear Harrison Ford rolling his eyes during the narration.

That wasn't the sound of his eyes rolling, it was the sound of his eyelids fluttering asleep.

I could say something like "He hasn't given a poo poo since The Fugitive and we all know it," but that would be implying that he's ever been a good actor. It's not that he doesn't care about his roles or is phoning it in, it's that his range is so ludicrously limited that he's incapable of doing any convincing acting since he was in his 30s. He's played charming variations of himself well a few times with Han Solo and Indiana Jones (the first three, at least), but I can't really recall seeing him act since The Conversation. He's been enjoyable in a few films, but it certainly hasn't been his acting that's accomplished that, it's been him just being himself in front of a camera. I feel like he's an active detriment to any movie he's in today, and when I started watching that Ender's Game trailer I felt bad for everyone involved, since, regardless of the film's quality, they could have at least improved it a modicum by casting anybody else.

He was garbage in Blade Runner and we all know it. It's probably my favorite film of all time, but I really wish anyone else was in that role but him. People say "Oh, Dustin Hoffman wouldn't have played it as world weary as Ford did!" But with Ridley's direction at the time, he certainly would have been better than Ford.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 04:00 on May 8, 2013

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

penismightier posted:

"Range" is far from the only hallmark of a good actor, and it's actually way less important than most people think. Crafting a magnetic and likable persona is just as challenging.

I don't disagree at all. But Hollywood seems to, in that they tend to cast him in roles that require more than being a likable persona. Like I said, he's been great in a few roles, however he's been miscast in most of them because they're expecting him to perform outside of his range.

And no, I didn't see 42 but based on the trailer he seemed to be doing a pretty bad accent.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

muscles like this? posted:

Well, there are some theories that the Soviets actually sent up people before Gagarin, they just all died so it was hushed up.

Totally not true, but it's definitely my favorite conspiracy theory. Look up Lost Cosmonauts if you're interested in a flight of fancy, specifically the Judica-Cordiglia brothers.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Supercar Gautier posted:

THIS ISN'T WHAT I WANTED

gently caress it. We had to wait a decade to see The Rock start to get the sort of roles that he deserves while he did terrible stuff, I can wait a decade for Holloway.

I'll also take this as an opportunity to again repeat the Holloway and Renner should have had their roles switched in MI4

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Bugblatter posted:

That looks awful. I like a lot of the people involved, but nothing about the actual footage looks good.

That one shot of that planet looked good. Otherwise a lot of floaty camera hyper-real squeaky clean action sequences and Channing Tatum looking incredibly miscast.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Vintersorg posted:

I think we're yet to see the real meat of this - that being Godzilla fighting other monsters. We know he already takes out a centipede based on the leaked teaser. And all signs point to him fighting a winged creature, so either Rodan or Ghidorah, maybe Mothra. I dont think humans will matter much in this aside from initial encounters.

That teaser was made before the script was written. We know there will be other monsters, but I wouldn't necessarily count on that one being one of them.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Boy oh boy does this new Exodus: Gods and Kings trailer look generic. And ugly. And still very full of white people.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-8YsulfxVI

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Jewmanji posted:

Yeah, kinda hosed up to make Moses white and the Pharaoh not.

Joel Edgerton is also white.

I'm all for a balls-out approach to mythic storytelling (hell, I'm one of the few people Immortals worked for from the visuals alone) but the story, dialogue, and characters of Exodus just seem so cliche.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

achillesforever6 posted:

You know Malcolm must be really pissed that after all his talk about chaos and such, the park in this movie has been running well for 20 years because the people building this version of the park didn't skimp out like Igen did. Though now I want a scene where the news picks up that the whole place is going to poo poo and Ian is watching from his apartment and starts doing that great laugh of his.

To me, one of the worst things about The Lost World is the normalization of Ian Malcolm. He's so wonderfully weird in the first film, and he was watered down so much in the sequel that I don't even see them as the same character. I understand it's because he's supposed to have matured due to the traumatic events in the first film, but TWL Malcolm could never pull off that great laugh.

I can see modern-day Goldblum pulling off an amazing weird-Malcolm again, though, after his performances in things like The Grand Budapest Hotel. But keep Law & Order-Goldblum far, far away.

e: Also, Dinosaurs with Guns should be a completely separate fun B-movie schlock franchise. People who want that for the JP franchise may not actually be fans of the first film.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Nov 24, 2014

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

yeah cuz it's not like the two dogshit sequels already diluted the brand or anything

It has nothing to do with diluting the brand, it's that those films went for a style and tone that is very grounded and at least attempts verisimilitude with reality. Dinosaurs with guns just doesn't fit into the world that they've created. I'm not going to say there couldn't be a great dinosaurs with guns movie, it just wouldn't be a Jurassic Park movie.

e: It's like what Stallone wanted to do with the next Rambo movie, having him hunt down an alien. It's not that it couldn't be a fun film, it's just that it doesn't fit with the story world as presented.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Nov 24, 2014

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
When they go out of their way at every turn to explain the science behind and natural instincts of cloned dinosaurs running amok, that certainly seems to be what the've been established, yes.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Spielberg farms out so much stuff as an EP these days and develops so few projects I'd be afraid my baby would become the next Transformers.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Yoshifan823 posted:

She's pretty good in it, but the best thing she's done is Up in the Air, which got her an Oscar nom.

Also, Pitch Perfect, but that's an acquired taste.

I thought she was incredible in Rocket Science, even though that movie had some big problems. She definitely wasn't one of them.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
:stare: That looks so loving bananas crazy beautiful

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

CaptainHollywood posted:

It's turning out from the looks of it to be a very lame origin story.

"You got arrested, but you have a chance at redemption - become Ant-Man!"
"Ok" :geno:

It's so obvious that's where they watered down Wright's concept of Scott stealing the Ant-Man suit. "We like it but how can we make him an unambiguously good guy" :downs:

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Jan 7, 2015

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Slate Action posted:

Prince Avalanche.

I loved Prince Avalanche but Emile Hirsch definitely stole the show.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Ghosthotel posted:

I was already groaning at how serious the Ant-Man trailer was and when the "huh" came up I thought "Oh okay this is where they change the music up and acknowledge that a movie about Ant-Man is kind of silly" but then the music never stopped and it just kept the same tone and yeah no thanks.

A friend of mine linked this edit to me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1RwmrUM_Vs

The change happens at 1:16 when the "Huh" happens. I probably would've been slightly more optimistic if this was the real thing.

1000% better.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Why on Earth would you want something different than associating your new movie with your recent mega smash hit?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Indolent Bastard posted:

My mistake.

But the point stands how will the public react to "classically white character is played by black actor"? You'd hope in 2015 the reaction would be "so what?", but the Danny Glover as Spider-Man thing got a little nuts, so who knows?

The public reaction already happened, and was pretty whiney and dumb. The only people who care are the racist nerds, the general public has no idea who Johnny Storm is or what color his skin has traditionally been.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Man From U.N.C.L.E. looks like a blast. A little too overstuffed of a trailer, though.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Let me guess, Alec Baldwin is secretly working for the syndicate.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Why on Earth are people still casting Liam Neeson and Sean Penn in old man action movies when Arnold is back in the game? The next Taken movie should be Liam Neeson kidnapping Arnold's daughter and then the whole thing just shifts over to Arnold's perspective wherein he kills Neeson and the franchise continues with him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Sir Kodiak posted:

It does have a gay panic vibe to it. Makes some sense that they'd obscure that, to avoid discomforting people, but the Hangover series was willing to go full-bore on it, for better or worse.

I was also confused by the trailer initially, but I think it's supposed to be that a lame guy from a small town hung out with a cool guy in LA, thought that that made him cool by proxy, brought back that attitude with him to the small town, then when the cool guy shows up he realizes that he's still lame and gets mad about not feeling special anymore. I was hoping that the end of the trailer would be him becoming a crazy, homicidal stalker.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Apr 3, 2015

• Locked thread