Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

Vagabundo posted:

So the trailer for Baz Luhrmann's adaptation of The Great Gatsby is out.

http://youtu.be/OULhlaX6JY4

I think the choice of music kind of put me off.

No Church in the Wild is a great pick. The second song? Not so much.

Looks great though, everything is so huge!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Maarak posted:

Return of the Living Dead is what you want.

Seriously whenever there's a "has there ever been a zombie film about ______" question, RotLD is the answer.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

al-azad posted:

I have no idea how they pulled off that "through the car windshield" shot in Evil Dead 2. Apparently the final shot in the first movie was done with Raimi on a motorcycle as he actually drove through the house but the opening shot of ED2 was straight through a car and everything with no cuts.

The fog hides a cut inside the car. Notice how it jumps to the hood pretty fast.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Jesus Christ if anyone ever was born to film average television, it's Joss "eh this set-up is probably ok" Whedon. That's the sloppiest black and white I've seen outside of a student film, ever.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Yeah. I hate that it's become such a cliche to dismiss the "tv-ness" of Whedon's productions but his directing style is so uninteresting. It's unfair to compare it to TV almost, the average Law and Order SVU episode looks better (to be fair they're expensive as hell to make). It doesn't look as good as commercials, it's like barely as good as the typical Hallmark Channel movie.

Ya know you're right. This looks more like the Shakespeare movie everyone made in high school to get out of taking the test.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

I looked it up, the DP on Much Ado was the director of Kitchen Nightmares and camera operator on Survivor. Seems like this is his first actual film, and hopefully his last.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

scary ghost dog posted:

If I recall, it was filmed over a weekend with an iPhone or some equally lo-fi pseudocamera.

I find this very easy to believe.

This is what Park Chan-Wook can do with an iPhone, for the sake of comparison:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYO-suuPdlY

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Ughhhh that looks so good, and through some quirk of the makeup this time I don't even mind Benedict Cumberbatch's horrible loving freakish face.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

I give WWZ a pass because the Yonkers stuff was really well done, but man do I agree with that 100%.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

"Range" is far from the only hallmark of a good actor, and it's actually way less important than most people think. Crafting a magnetic and likable persona is just as challenging.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

soapgish posted:

This. I've always felt that enduring an entire one of their movies would be tantamount to having them target you for a painful prank

...why?

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

I still laugh when I think about this line.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Max22 posted:

Jackass needs Bam. Without him, who else would be the Bam of the group?

Preston.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Jewmanji posted:

If anyone is doubting how completely clueless that movie looks, just watch the last 5 seconds of that trailer,

"What kind of life will he have?"
*Cue Robocop doing awesome Robocop things while surfing through explosions mid-air with guns akimbo*.

You are aware a trailer is not the film, right?

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

CaptainHollywood posted:

As a reminder this was the teaser for Inception:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5VDKVqvo8M

Nothing is given away except for the fact that this movie is going to be awesome.

I hate this movie but that really is one of the best trailers ever. I wish there was a way to find out who cuts those things.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Jack's Flow posted:

A friend just linked me the trailer for a movie called Snowpiercer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6UmqNuMdY4

And then I read an article that claims Harvey Weinstein is holding back the US release because the director of the movie, Joon-ho Bong, does not agree to cut 25 minutes of the film to make it more "accessible" as Weinstein calls it. So now it can be watched in other countries, but not the USA.

It should also be mentioned that Bong Joon-Ho -- who did The Host, Memories of Murder, and Mother -- is one of the greatest living directors.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

I don't think I've ever said this about anything ever, but the concept of The Purge is just dying to be comic books.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Always loved this one, simple as it is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RERAc0ipha0

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

I don't think the assumption that thinking they're stupid ugly designs necessary springs from nostalgia, because I don't give a gently caress about the Ninja Turtles and those are stupid ugly designs all the same.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Rocky 4 is awful. The best moment in the Rockys is when he's standing in the arena before the first Creed fight bummed that they painted the wrong color shorts on his banner.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

teagone posted:

Rocky 3-5 are pretty bad, sure. That doesn't mean they don't contain some of the best parts of all the films though. "Hearts on Fire" is the poo poo.

Ok good point, but Rocky 5's got nothinggggggg.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

The trouble with Hot Tub Time Machine is that there was no line in the movie as funny as "I write Star Gate fan fiction, this is my bread and butter" from the trailer.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

kiimo posted:

Although for print maybe not so much, ha.

(Good things come in bears)

I always wondered who was responsible for that.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

It's like all the worst parts of all the worst video games.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

It's definitely playing as a Call of Duty game level 1, but it's not funny and it doesn't seem to be making some kind of point so... whyyyyy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

TheFallenEvincar posted:

Really? I guess I'll check them out then, I might as well actually give both of them a shot instead of assuming. I really didn't hear good things about Immortals though it did look visually cool in parts.

Immortals fuckin rules, homeboy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_I1NnJo7dY

• Locked thread