Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duck_King
Sep 5, 2003

leader.bmp

Rosalind posted:

As someone with a full sized 2070 squeezed into a mini-itx build, the idea of having to move up to a larger case is one of the biggest things keeping me from upgrading so I'm glad to hear that we might see smaller cards soon.

The Fractal Design Terra is most of the way there. 13.5 inches long by 6 inches wide by 8.5 inches tall.

This thing has been on my radar for awhile, and I want to eventually replace my living room PC with one of these.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mahatma-Squid
Nov 22, 2004

One of the last true gentlemen left alive . ';,,,,,,,,;'

FuturePastNow posted:

Shouldn't be too hard to mod a fake fireplace display into the side of that

Needs to be tied to power consumption, idle on desktop? Barely glowing, oced 14900k and 4090 running at max load? So bright it almost hurts to look at, and instantly attracts any and all cats in a 100m radius.

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

If he waits long enough he can use his accrued interest from his savings to bring his negative checking balance back into the black.

Don Dongington posted:

It's really going to depend on the games you play, and which GPU you're currently running.

As a rule, most FPS games will run perfectly well at 1440p with a 3700/4070 combo. You're unlikely to see CPU bottlenecks at 1440 on RT titles like CP2077 etc unless you're running lower detail levels to target 144hz+ specifically (don't). Baldur's Gate 3 and Starfield if I recall have some pretty CPU-heavy areas, but they're somewhat outliers at the moment. Management games such as Cities Skylines 2, Transport Fever etc are more CPU-intensive and are more likely to hitch and chug on the older CPU.

If I were in your position I would absolutely get the 4070 now, and then consider throwing in a cheap 5700x or one of the X3D chips if you're finding it's an issue with the games you play - otherwise I'd hang out until Zen 5 if it seems alright.

I’m running a 2060 at the moment, you still think it’s a good upgrade?

And thanks for all the info

Also I play a lot of RPGs, shooters, almost everything tbh. I want to be able to play games on higher settings and have more fps!

Fallows fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Apr 20, 2024

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

kliras posted:

devastating, vague rumours that nvidia might be working directly in league with the sff perverts:

https://wccftech.com/nvidia-partners-create-new-sff-gaming-pc-ecosystem-powered-sff-enthusiast-geforce-gpus/
are galax trying to release this before they become subject to higher standards or something

https://twitter.com/VideoCardz/status/1781654858635862133

quote:

When the load kicks in, the single fan picks up the speed up to 3100 RPM, which is around 84% of the maximum speed. At a distance of 50 cm away from the card, the noise level rises to 51.4 dBA, much higher than most models, including Colorful’s Ultra OC or even the NVIDIA Founder Edition. The noise level is a clear disadvantage of this design, but at least the fan will stop when the card is idle, so there is that.

db chart:

galax: 51.4(!!!)
igame: 32.2
fe: 28.4

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
I mean it's single slot, what do you expect :laffo:

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Yeah, it's a bit like saying 40mm fans in a 1u case being noisy?

Also, 51.4db, that reminds me of a PS4 that I got off ebay a while back. Among it's many faults was a fan that I measured at over 80db from more than a meter away.
It was ridiculously loud, sort of "busy road traffic" level of discomfort.

Still got the pic that I had to send the twat who was complain it was fine...

YerDa Zabam fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Apr 20, 2024

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

shrike82 posted:

Capcom has released multiple patches for DD2 including one recently that state they're trying to improve DLSS image quality - they seem to be struggling with it technically for some reason

i imagine as with other forms of TAA, DLSS doesn't work so well at low and erratic frame rates, and the pc port sports some really bad ones lol

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

YerDa Zabam posted:

Yeah, it's a bit like saying 40mm fans in a 1u case being noisy?

Also, 51.4db, that reminds me of a PS4 that I got off ebay a while back. Among it's many faults was a fan that I measured at over 80db from more than a meter away.
It was ridiculously loud, sort of "busy road traffic" level of discomfort.

Still got the pic that I had to send the twat who was complain it was fine...

yeah i had to repaste mine because it sounds like a jet engine after a while. still kinda does in games like gow and tlou, but nothing as bad as before

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.
As much as I love Fractal Design cases, if I’m ever going SFF, it’s going to be a dumbass awesome gimmick like a computer in a toaster or a NES.

Spoiler: I’m never going SFF because cases should be huge and have turbo buttons and only be beige colored :colbert:

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
I started having a GPU problem last night and I could use some thoughts on it. I have a 3080 10GB that I've had since late 2021.

I was playing Helldivers 2 and started getting weird video glitching and my monitor would lose signal for a second or two before coming back on. It was erratic and didn't seem to follow any specific event ingame. It was acting very similar to how a 6800GT I had back in 2006 acted before frying itself, which has me worried.

I exited the game tried running some 3Dmark benchmarks while checking temps. However, it fails to run any benchmark with Raytracing. It gets a few seconds to a minute in before crashing or freezing on both Speed Way and Port Royal. Time Spy Extreme ran just fine though and returned normal results.

I tried doing a clean install of the NVIDIA drivers and while I can play Helldivers 2 without issues now (sample size of an hour or so), the benchmarks still won't complete. I also ran MEMTEST last night to make sure it wasn't another RAM issue, but my PC passed a full test.

Any thoughts on what it could be or what other tests I could do to try to narrow down the issue?

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

SpartanIvy posted:

I started having a GPU problem last night and I could use some thoughts on it. I have a 3080 10GB that I've had since late 2021.

I was playing Helldivers 2 and started getting weird video glitching and my monitor would lose signal for a second or two before coming back on. It was erratic and didn't seem to follow any specific event ingame. It was acting very similar to how a 6800GT I had back in 2006 acted before frying itself, which has me worried.

I exited the game tried running some 3Dmark benchmarks while checking temps. However, it fails to run any benchmark with Raytracing. It gets a few seconds to a minute in before crashing or freezing on both Speed Way and Port Royal. Time Spy Extreme ran just fine though and returned normal results.

I tried doing a clean install of the NVIDIA drivers and while I can play Helldivers 2 without issues now (sample size of an hour or so), the benchmarks still won't complete. I also ran MEMTEST last night to make sure it wasn't another RAM issue, but my PC passed a full test.

Any thoughts on what it could be or what other tests I could do to try to narrow down the issue?

By clean install did you mean running DDU and uninstalling the old drivers first?

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

change my name posted:

By clean install did you mean running DDU and uninstalling the old drivers first?
I used the NVIDIA recommended "CleanupTool" to uninstall the old drivers first.

e:Just used DDU from Safe Mode to uninstall the driver, and then reinstall and the Speed Way benchmark is still failing a few seconds in.

SpartanIvy fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Apr 20, 2024

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Sounds like EK is rapidly circling the toilet:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b73xG1HlFhY

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

SpartanIvy posted:

I used the NVIDIA recommended "CleanupTool" to uninstall the old drivers first.

Use this. Ideally do it in safe mode. It is more thorough than the driver option, and supposedly it is more thorough than the stand alone tool.
Fingers crossed for you that it is a weird driver thing related to RT. If not then it may be something wrong with the actual RT cores on the chip. Driver seems more likely.

https://www.guru3d.com/download/display-driver-uninstaller-download/

Just noticed your edit

Also, Hell Divers 2 doesn't have RT, so it appears to be a more general issue.

Next, I'd try a fresh install of Windows and the game etc. Maybe on a spare drive if you have one, save nuking the whole thing?

Actually, before that I'd also try some different DP/HDMI cables, that has hosed me recently

YerDa Zabam fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Apr 20, 2024

Turmoil
Jun 27, 2000

Forum Veteran

Young Urchin

SpartanIvy posted:

How old is your PSU?

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

YerDa Zabam posted:

Use this. Ideally do it in safe mode. It is more thorough than the driver option, and supposedly it is more thorough than the stand alone tool.
Fingers crossed for you that it is a weird driver thing related to RT. If not then it may be something wrong with the actual RT cores on the chip. Driver seems more likely.

https://www.guru3d.com/download/display-driver-uninstaller-download/

Just noticed your edit

Also, Hell Divers 2 doesn't have RT, so it appears to be a more general issue.

Next, I'd try a fresh install of Windows and the game etc. Maybe on a spare drive if you have one, save nuking the whole thing?

Actually, before that I'd also try some different DP/HDMI cables, that has hosed me recently
I'll try different cables, and see if I can dig up a spare SSD to try a new install on without nuking everything.

Turmoil posted:

How old is your PSU?
2 years old or so? It's a Corsair RM850X full size ATX PSU. The prior PSU I had (an SFX 750W) did have issues after a while handling the transient spikes of power from the card. I would hope that's not the case again...

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

The PSU seems unlikely to be the problem. Typically, an under-spec or malfunctioning PSU will just cause a complete loss of power, not application or driver crashing.

You could try setting a negative GPU clock offset in MSI afterburner and see if that helps. (-100MHz or so.) It could also be caused by one of the VRAM chips going bad.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

The PSU seems unlikely to be the problem. Typically, an under-spec or malfunctioning PSU will just cause a complete loss of power, not application or driver crashing.

You could try setting a negative GPU clock offset in MSI afterburner and see if that helps. (-100MHz or so.) It could also be caused by one of the VRAM chips going bad.
I tried undervolting with MSI Afterburner and it didn't change anything.

I'm now running a 1 hour VRAM test from a program called OCCT, which I have not used before, but it seems to be legitimate.

e: My girlfriend has a 2080 Super in her computer. I'll swap that into mine and see if the issue persists just to eliminate the rest of the PC as a variable.

e2: VRAM test came back without errors. My girlfriends 2080S won't fit in my case so I can't with it, and the 1660 we have will fit but it doesn't support the raytracing benchmarks :negative:

e3: I don't know what the gently caress is going on but it managed to finish the Speed Way benchmark finally. I literally didn't do anything that should have affected it.

SpartanIvy fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Apr 20, 2024

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
I once had dust building up on the PCB cause a video card to flake out, but that was back in the days when the RAM chips had pins on the sides and some dust had shorted a pair of pins (modern cards have been using BGA forever, which while not entirely impervious to contamination is much much harder for air/debris to get into). Cleaning the card resolved it. Also undervolting wouldn't help stability at all and could potentially make it worse. If anything dragging the power limit up and then applying a negative clock offset and or dragging the temperature limit down would push things into the more stable range. Make sure afterburner isn't doing something stupid to clocks/power/thermals by resetting all afterburner settings entirely to default and disabling any low level voltage settings in it.

Kaewan
May 29, 2008
Check for hairline cracks around the locking tab on the card. The weight of some bigger gpus can cause cracks to form when they aren't supported properly. I've seen a few 3080's on the second hand market with that issue, especially gigabyte.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

tehinternet posted:

Spoiler: I’m never going SFF because cases should be huge and have turbo buttons and only be beige colored :colbert:

No to turbo buttons, yes to key locks.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

Craptacular! posted:

No to turbo buttons, yes to key locks.

typing one handed

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

tehinternet posted:

typing one handed

I was thinking mainly of the Apple Quadra 900, a behemoth PC that was the boxiest beige box that ever boxed, and had a car-ignition style lock in the upper corner. Not even as a door panel like a lot of Antec tower cases.

I'd strive to have a computer that looks like that these days except that they all need to be windtunnels to cool the components these days.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

tehinternet posted:

As much as I love Fractal Design cases, if I’m ever going SFF, it’s going to be a dumbass awesome gimmick like a computer in a toaster or a NES.

the only SFF I recognize are deskminis and those cute $150 N100 mini pcs that are getting so popular these days

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Indiana_Krom posted:

I once had dust building up on the PCB cause a video card to flake out, but that was back in the days when the RAM chips had pins on the sides and some dust had shorted a pair of pins (modern cards have been using BGA forever, which while not entirely impervious to contamination is much much harder for air/debris to get into). Cleaning the card resolved it. Also undervolting wouldn't help stability at all and could potentially make it worse. If anything dragging the power limit up and then applying a negative clock offset and or dragging the temperature limit down would push things into the more stable range. Make sure afterburner isn't doing something stupid to clocks/power/thermals by resetting all afterburner settings entirely to default and disabling any low level voltage settings in it.

I doubt it's dust related because I dusted my computer a few months ago so it's fairly good at the moment, plus my GPU is encased in a block, so it's unlikely dust would find a way in.

Kaewan posted:

Check for hairline cracks around the locking tab on the card. The weight of some bigger gpus can cause cracks to form when they aren't supported properly. I've seen a few 3080's on the second hand market with that issue, especially gigabyte.
I pulled it out and looked closely at it and didn't see any hairline cracks on either side of the PCIE tab.

Per my earlier posts edit, I was able to get the Speed Way benchmark to finish maybe 2 times total, but there doesn't seem to be any pattern to it. I found an old 250GB SSD so I guess I'll try a fresh copy of windows to see if that changes the results, but I'm not hopeful.

Turmoil
Jun 27, 2000

Forum Veteran

Young Urchin

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Not necessarily, but I did want to at least rule that out. Given the age and wattage of the PSU it shouldn't be a problem.

I had reused a 750 watt EVGA PSU in a machine a few years ago not really thinking it was that old(turns out it was 7 years old) and there was a lot of weird things that would go on with that machine. There were sporadic issues with applications having DLL errors when a few months prior they worked without issue. Windows update could not complete an update on the machine. It would download, install, then during the reboot when it was finishing the update it would fail and roll back.

I was about to reinstall Windows on the machine thinking it was just something corrupted causing the issues and decided to swap the PSU and all the issues went away.

Luckily the first PSU was under warranty and I got it swapped out and I just keep it as a spare.

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

SpartanIvy posted:

I doubt it's dust related because I dusted my computer a few months ago so it's fairly good at the moment, plus my GPU is encased in a block, so it's unlikely dust would find a way in.

I pulled it out and looked closely at it and didn't see any hairline cracks on either side of the PCIE tab.

Per my earlier posts edit, I was able to get the Speed Way benchmark to finish maybe 2 times total, but there doesn't seem to be any pattern to it. I found an old 250GB SSD so I guess I'll try a fresh copy of windows to see if that changes the results, but I'm not hopeful.

Have you monitored the temperatures while/after benchmarking? Sam,e for the voltage draw etc (GPUZ sensor page is a quick easy way to see)
Way back I had sporadic artifacts and black blocks on screen and it was, iirc, either the memory or the chip hot-spot spiking really high, but only occasionally. Not consistent with the load particularly, sort of semi random.
Intermittent faults like this are a total pain in the arse to deal with, you have my sympathy

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Canned Sunshine posted:

Sounds like EK is rapidly circling the toilet:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b73xG1HlFhY

sadly i'm not surprised

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

YerDa Zabam posted:

Have you monitored the temperatures while/after benchmarking? Sam,e for the voltage draw etc (GPUZ sensor page is a quick easy way to see)
Way back I had sporadic artifacts and black blocks on screen and it was, iirc, either the memory or the chip hot-spot spiking really high, but only occasionally. Not consistent with the load particularly, sort of semi random.
Intermittent faults like this are a total pain in the arse to deal with, you have my sympathy

I resolved similar intermittent failure issues by tearing down and repasting/repadding my card. Turns out my refurb got the cheapest pads possible and they missed coverage on some VRMS. Applied some cryonaut paste and pads ~four years ago and my card has been golden ever since, not a single GPU stress related crash.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

tehinternet posted:

Surely you can find some beige Commodore 64 looking case and have a computer that looks like a keyboard

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Bofast posted:

Surely you can find some beige Commodore 64 looking case and have a computer that looks like a keyboard

8bit Do have followed up their NES-alike with this C64-ish one, so you could have a keyboard that looks like a computer.
Not much room (any room) in there for components beyond a small SBC though, but I guess you could maybe cram something into one of their old 5 1/4" HDD units.

Haha, actually some of those buttons an knobs along the top look very like the turbo buttons of olde
They are a bit too "novel" for my sophisticated discerning classy taste, but supposedly they are actually pretty good

YerDa Zabam fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Apr 21, 2024

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Infamously the 1541 basically was its own computer, so making a SFF build in the shell of one would be very appropriate.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

YerDa Zabam posted:

I have tried monitoring with GPUZ, Afterburner, HWInfo. Nothing I can find looks suspicious.

I also installed a fresh copy of Windows 11 on a spare SSD and tried the test and it still fails, so doubtful it's a software issue at this point.

tehinternet posted:

I resolved similar intermittent failure issues by tearing down and repasting/repadding my card. Turns out my refurb got the cheapest pads possible and they missed coverage on some VRMS. Applied some cryonaut paste and pads ~four years ago and my card has been golden ever since, not a single GPU stress related crash.

I think this must be my next step. Anyone have any recommendations for thermal pads? I need 1.0mm thick ones. Through googling, I saw a few people mention Gelids.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

SpartanIvy posted:

I think this must be my next step. Anyone have any recommendations for thermal pads? I need 1.0mm thick ones. Through googling, I saw a few people mention Gelids.

Tech Jesus mentioned Thermal Grizzly a lot and he seems to be zealous about min-maxing price:quality. They worked for me.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

tehinternet posted:

Tech Jesus mentioned Thermal Grizzly a lot

i mean they are a frequent sponsor

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

SpartanIvy posted:

I have tried monitoring with GPUZ, Afterburner, HWInfo. Nothing I can find looks suspicious.

I also installed a fresh copy of Windows 11 on a spare SSD and tried the test and it still fails, so doubtful it's a software issue at this point.

If the temps are fine throughout then I fear that new thermal pads (or re-pasting) will not help. Those really only help reduce temperature but it seems that it is fine in that respect?
Don't want to be a doomer sorry, and by all means have at it if you feel like it, it won't do any harm. Plenty of times I've stripped down and reassembled something and it has just worked fine after for no discernible reason.

Sounds more and more like actual hardware failing sadly.
You might need to send it to someone who repairs GPUs and the like. It might just need the VRMs repaired, something to do with the video output or maybe fully BGA repaired on the GPU or memory. I used to do work like this for phones and tablets but never got the full sized GPU machine. Depending on the resale value of the card and the costs to get it done where you live it might be worth it.
I hope it isn't that of course.

YerDa Zabam fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Apr 21, 2024

Vir
Dec 14, 2007

Does it tickle when your Body Thetans flap their wings, eh Beatrice?

Craptacular! posted:

I'd strive to have a computer that looks like that these days except that they all need to be windtunnels to cool the components these days.
That Noctua'd card is sitting in a case that isn't beige, but is of the early 2000s design, so I actually have an extra rear intake fan to get enough air in there.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

So I’m pretty sure it’s a big fat no but I need to double check because some YouTube videos show different.

I’m trying to use AMD FMF on diablo 4 which is only full screen window game. It absolutely won’t work right?

It has to be a game that’s full screen exclusive mode correct?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

YerDa Zabam posted:

8bit Do have followed up their NES-alike with this C64-ish one, so you could have a keyboard that looks like a computer.
Not much room (any room) in there for components beyond a small SBC though, but I guess you could maybe cram something into one of their old 5 1/4" HDD units.

Haha, actually some of those buttons an knobs along the top look very like the turbo buttons of olde
They are a bit too "novel" for my sophisticated discerning classy taste, but supposedly they are actually pretty good

Well, there is the C64 shell that My Retro Computer in the UK seems to be selling still.