Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

kliras posted:

cool to see that sony is experimenting with dedicated playstation crossplatform and crossplay support that supports playstation trophies for their pc ports:

https://blog.playstation.com/2024/04/17/ghost-of-tsushima-directors-cut-pc-cross-play-and-system-requirements-revealed/

system requirements also don't look too terrible, and the game supports both fsr 3, xess 1.?, and dlss 3

nixxes doing great work, can't believe sony actually made a good business decision in acquiring them

Do I have to log into the playstation thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007

Listerine posted:

Tempted to grab a 4090 FE, but I'm not in dire need of an upgrade. Is there any good idea if the 5000 series would be worth waiting for? I haven't paid any attention to the info about the next generation.

The rumors suggest 5080/5090 will be releasing sometime between q3 of this year and q1 of next. It's supposed to be a big boost but it's not yet clear what kinds of nerfing the cards will get to segment them from nvidia's hyper-lucrative AI enterprise market.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
I suspect a 4090 at MSRP will still be a reasonably good deal but if you can wait I wouldn't pay a markup for it.

I'd expect the 5090 to be good but probably more expensive than the 4090 was. Who knows on the 5080, likely the same not-good-perf-for-the-money that the 4080 originally was but who knows.

Of course this is all just guesswork, Nvidia will do what Nvidia does.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Get whatever you can afford - DLSS is carrying this generation.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
we have no idea what new features they'll have nor what the price to performance will be. the last one is a big one

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah I’m not sure if I would buy a 4090 at this point. If you are in the market for that high priced or a card you are better off waiting.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

I got one in October of last year and I can't imagine any game coming out in the next 3 years that would tempt me to get a 5090.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

ijyt posted:

I got one in October of last year and I can't imagine any game coming out in the next 3 years that would tempt me to get a 5090.

Weird, I just saw a finger curl on this monkey's paw.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense
For me newer cards are a lot about whatever the hot new feature is like raytracing being improved, or the new ai processors, or whatever is going on coupled with lower power consumption. Means it runs less hot, it cost less to buy it, probably takes up less space.

So, whatever is the flagship from the previous generation I'll take whatever is a bit less powerful than that in the current generation.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I would not be surprised if a big reason 4090s are suddenly available is because of the rumors about the 5090 releasing this year and being a ringer. People are (smartly) starting to hold off. There's a good chance I would have ordered a FE 4090 a few weeks ago if one was available but now I'm waiting.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

KillHour posted:

I would not be surprised if a big reason 4090s are suddenly available is because of the rumors about the 5090 releasing this year and being a ringer. People are (smartly) starting to hold off. There's a good chance I would have ordered a FE 4090 a few weeks ago if one was available but now I'm waiting.

Honestly it really depends on how big the new series of cards are going to be, cause 40's are freaking massive.

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Maybe one of the features will be that they only use a couple of hundred watts, and aren't enormous. Maybe.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

Listerine posted:

Tempted to grab a 4090 FE, but I'm not in dire need of an upgrade. Is there any good idea if the 5000 series would be worth waiting for? I haven't paid any attention to the info about the next generation.

I'd wait. 5090 is supposed to be up to 70% faster.

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

I'm putting away £50+ per month to cover some of what I'll lose if I sell my 4090 to decide to get a 5090. I used to kid myself thinking I'd wait another generation or whatever but I've come to admit that in this game there is no real logic or common sense.
Losing a few hundred quid for having played with the thing for 6-9 months is fine I feel. Again, this is relative to expensive toys and being able to afford it. Currently at least.
If I decide against it I'll maybe get a new TV or something else to fill the void.

Part of the reason I just got a 4090 recently is that I don't trust global supply chains/global shitshows any more. I'd hate to wait and then not get one because of a ship stuck in a canal or a massive invasion of Taiwan. Or even worse, another crypto thing, yuk.
Then again maybe that's just me.

Kivi
Aug 1, 2006
I care

YerDa Zabam posted:

CoreCtrl or CoolerControl no good?
Rather than just unplug it, could you extend the wire to a motherboard header and control it from that instead maybe?
With a series of adapters I set it to run at constant 5V. It's still noisey but moves air and I suppose the card won't cook in long term, until they fix the firmware.

I suppose Intel isn't that great anymore when it comes to Linux, I can't get my UW DTD timings to work on it; using HDMI it insists on being 1080p120 screen, which is the max on the DMT timings table. Plugging adapters mDP -> DP -> active HDMI and it just works. :psyduck: Left a message on their bug tracker. So 2 days with arc, 2 firmware / driver bugs already. Ought to be smooth sailing from now on.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

PirateBob posted:

I'd wait. 5090 is supposed to be up to 70% faster.

This is BS. There is zero indication of how much faster the 5090 is going to be, and anyone who gives numbers like this is literally making it up. We don't know what the CUDA count is going to be, we don't know what the frequency is going to be, we don't know what the power limits are, or what kind of extra architectural features are going to be added. And without knowledge of any of these, all anyone can do is speculate. Not to mention, we don't know what the price is going to be either. Even if it is 70% faster, if the thing costs $3000 then it's not like it's worth waiting for.

ijyt posted:

I do agree on some level. The 4090 can already run path-traced games at a 4K60 output with DLSS. I think it's likely we'll only get small iterative improvements to the various path-tracing algorithms over the next few years (neural radiance cache, extra light bounces, etc), so I don't really foresee another huge leap forward in graphical rendering that the 5090 will be capable of but the 4090 won't be. The current crop of path-tracing implementations are vastly ahead of the curve, and for the next few years we'll just be seeing the rest of the industry catching up, with maybe some additional small optimizations and improvements made to the existing methods. Instead of doing any incredible new graphical features, the 5090 will just be better at doing the current ones faster. Maybe it will be able to do PT at 4K60 with DLSS Quality instead of DLSS Performance. That's nice and all, but maybe not worth holding out for, and especially not worth upgrading into if you already have a 4090. Though I'm open to being surprised.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Apr 17, 2024

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

This is BS. There is zero indication of how much faster the 5090 is going to be, and anyone who gives numbers like this is literally making it up. We don't know what the CUDA count is going to be, we don't know what the frequency is going to be, we don't know what the power limits are, or what kind of extra architectural features are going to be added. And without knowledge of any of these, all anyone can do is speculate. Not to mention, we don't know what the price is going to be either. Even if it is 70% faster, if the thing costs $3000 then it's not like it's worth waiting for.

The most interesting "safe" bet I'd make about the 5090 at this point is that it's going to be PCIe 5.0, which could make a huge difference for ML model training with much faster direct memory access between GPUs.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I do agree on some level. The 4090 can already run path-traced games at a 4K60 output with DLSS. I think it's likely we'll only get small iterative improvements to the various path-tracing algorithms over the next few years (neural radiance cache, extra light bounces, etc), so I don't really foresee another huge leap forward in graphical rendering that the 5090 will be capable of but the 4090 won't be. The current crop of path-tracing implementations are vastly ahead of the curve, and for the next few years we'll just be seeing the rest of the industry catching up, with maybe some additional small optimizations and improvements made to the existing methods. Instead of doing any incredible new graphical features, the 5090 will just be better at doing the current ones faster. Maybe it will be able to do 4K60 with DLSS Quality instead of DLSS Performance. That's nice and all, but maybe not worth holding out for, and especially not worth upgrading into if you already have a 4090. Though I'm open to being surprised.

Current gen VR is already pushing >4k resolution at 100+ fps, so that's where the really high-end use case is. DLSS upscaling in VR honestly looks pretty terrible, IME.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

YerDa Zabam posted:

Part of the reason I just got a 4090 recently is that I don't trust global supply chains/global shitshows any more. I'd hate to wait and then not get one because of a ship stuck in a canal or a massive invasion of Taiwan. Or even worse, another crypto thing, yuk.
Then again maybe that's just me.

This is one of the more compelling reasons for just getting the 4090 now. Even if a 5090 is 70% better than a 4090 or some poo poo, how long will it take to actually get one? I got a 4090 FE last summer, which was the earliest I could get a 4090 FE without paying a scalper, paying for a bot to buy it (more scalping), or trying to shiv someone in the best buy parking lot so I could steal theirs.

Also I have a EKWB full cover water block on my 4090, and I had a full cover water block on the 3080 Ti I used before that. Upgrading to a $1200-$1600 video card, carefully shucking the cooler off, then installing a water block, putting the loop back together, pressure testing and all that is actually quite the pain in the rear end and I would like to go a few years before doing it again (even with the soft/flexible tubing I use).

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

You'll probably be able to get the 5090 on launch day just like you did with 4090.

Unrelated, I was replaying Fallout 76 (after watching the TV show) and noticed wall power draw for my entire PC + monitor setup (13600KF + 4090 + 32" QD-OLED) tends to be 450W - managed to get it down to 350W by further power limiting the 4090. Decided to test out my laptop (7840HS + 4090M + 32" QD-OLED) and that averages at 200W.

Both to hit 4K, highest graphics settings and hitting the 117 cap limit.

Is that just because laptops are designed to be more power efficient? Surprising gap from my perspective since I'm capping frame rate

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

How long were you running the game on the laptop for? I would assume that the laptop is leveraging its battery for additional power as needed, so obviously there would hit a point at which it probably would see performance drop if/when the battery is depleted or the charger cannot keep up overall.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

intel vs AMD CPU is also a pretty big variable to throw in there given intels current propensity for boosting to a gajillion watts to improve benchmarks by 4%

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

shrike82 posted:

You'll probably be able to get the 5090 on launch day just like you did with 4090.

Unrelated, I was replaying Fallout 76 (after watching the TV show) and noticed wall power draw for my entire PC + monitor setup (13600KF + 4090 + 32" QD-OLED) tends to be 450W - managed to get it down to 350W by further power limiting the 4090. Decided to test out my laptop (7840HS + 4090M + 32" QD-OLED) and that averages at 200W.

Is that just because laptops are designed to be more power efficient? Surprising gap from my perspective since I'm capping frame rate

nah you definitely had to struggle to get a 4090 on launch day. Wasn't able to get my hands on one until January '23.

Wonder how bad it will be this time around. Probably not as bad as the 30 series but

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

shrike82 posted:

Yeah because it is a mobile part, and because it is an older game that you are capping.
It's like comparing apples to oranges as well something else I can't think of a snappy analogy for

Canned Sunshine posted:

How long were you running the game on the laptop for? I would assume that the laptop is leveraging its battery for additional power as needed, so obviously there would hit a point at which it probably would see performance drop if/when the battery is depleted or the charger cannot keep up overall.

Erm, I don't think it is this no

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Nvidia is promising big production for Blackwell on the AI side at least.

My only caution to getting a 4090 now is going back and seeing the people in this thread lamenting getting a 980 Ti weeks before the 1080 came out, or a 2080 Ti right before the Ampere drop… or maybe worst of all, the poor bastards that paid scalper Ampere prices before the market crashed and the 4090 came out for the same price people were paying for 3070s.

Ultimately it’s a fun toy, and a new toy coming out in the future does not make the current toy any less performant. So if you don’t want to wait 6 to 9 months to maybe get something better, you don’t have to!

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Does anyone else have issues power-limiting their 4090 (though I suppose this could apply to any recent RTX card) in newer games?

No issues when I'm playing something out of the backlog but lately with stuff like Forbidden West I get weird texture glitches when I'm doing pretty much anything with Afterburner (either power-limiting or undervolting) that isn't just keeping settings at stock. Same issue with Starfield and Banishers: Ghosts of New Eden.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

YerDa Zabam posted:

Yeah because it is a mobile part, and because it is an older game that you are capping.
It's like comparing apples to oranges as well something else I can't think of a snappy analogy for

Erm, I don't think it is this no

Yeah, you’re gonna need to go into more justification there, because there are a lot of variables beyond just “it’s a mobile part”.

And to the latter, laptops definitely leverage their batteries at times during higher-demand usage, as seen in numerous workstation laptops and MacBook Pros.

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Cross-Section posted:

Does anyone else have issues power-limiting their 4090 (though I suppose this could apply to any recent RTX card) in newer games?

No issues when I'm playing something out of the backlog but lately with stuff like Forbidden West I get weird texture glitches when I'm doing pretty much anything with Afterburner (either power-limiting or undervolting) that isn't just keeping settings at stock. Same issue with Starfield and Banishers: Ghosts of New Eden.

I just followed this guy's undervolting video (then double checked as it seemed a bit too easy) and it has been great. No issues at all, same benchmarks, 10c lower temp and at least 100w less at the wall.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LD3OSYzIUkw

Canned Sunshine posted:

Yeah, you’re gonna need to go into more justification there, because there are a lot of variables beyond just “it’s a mobile part”.

And to the latter, laptops definitely leverage their batteries at times during higher-demand usage, as seen in numerous workstation laptops and MacBook Pros.

To be blunt, I don't really get what was expected?
Part designed to be sip power uses less than one that isn't?
I mean, the op sort of says it anyway no?
And any battery boosting or otherwise isn't relevant as all that is being observed is a laptop using less power than a desktop
Unless I'm barking up the wrong tree, idk

Second reading maybe you're surprised at the laptop performance? I read it that the op was surprised at the power use disparity.
I think we're at cross purposes here maybe

YerDa Zabam fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Apr 18, 2024

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

Shipon posted:

nah you definitely had to struggle to get a 4090 on launch day. Wasn't able to get my hands on one until January '23.

Wonder how bad it will be this time around. Probably not as bad as the 30 series but

Anecdote vs anecdote but i got mine on day 1 zero hassle just clicked add to card when they went live, which is always officially set (usually in the morning EST).

I’m sure the truth is somewhere in the middle but I didn’t feel nearly the pressure I did at the Ampere launch, now that poo poo was wild. Still got a day 1 but I had to buy a 3090, which was honestly a poo poo card for the price.

(Well hilariously it ended up being worth like 2 grand+, but that was happenstance, it was still like 10% better than a 3080 for double the price)

If I can pull a hat trick and get a 5090 day 1 I will sell my 4090 to someone here for below market, whatever that ends up being at the time

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah it wasn’t really hard at all for me to get my 4090. Nothing like the 3000 series.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

MSRP 4090 models were available on Newegg for around 45 minutes after launch, with the launch time known beforehand. So as long as you were paying attention, it wasn't too much trouble getting one. But if you missed that window, then it may have been a few weeks before you could find more 4090s. Availability was hit-or-miss during october and november (still buyable but you had to get lucky or follow a stock tracker), but i seem to recall availability having stabilized by december. and then availability stayed stable for most of 2023 until a demand spike caused by export restrictions mixed with a possible reduction in shipments resulted in price hikes. Glad the FE has been available at MSRP for at least a few days straight now. Hopefully this means that partner models will drop in price again soon.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

MSRP 4090 models were available on Newegg for around 45 minutes after launch, with the launch time known beforehand.

In the US…

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Subjunctive posted:

In the US…

For better or worse, this is a US-centric site. Americans also forget the internet is global and not just made up of Americans.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

https://twitter.com/VideoCardz/status/1780887141414850721

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

ijyt posted:

For better or worse, this is a US-centric site. Americans also forget the internet is global and not just made up of Americans.

We have Newegg and Best Buy here, even! They just suck compared to the US versions in selection, availability, and pricing. So basically all of the things that are important about a store, now that I think about it.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Canned Sunshine posted:

They do, but this is pretty easy to tell if his charger is greater than 200W. If it is, then it's using the charger's current, probably not anything measurable from the battery. Given those specs, I'd assume it's a bigger charger than that.

As for why, the 4090 mobile is a totally different chip with 30% fewer transistors on a 4nm node instead of a 5nm node, far fewer SM, RT, and Tensor cores. So yeah, if your within the performance envelope I'd expect the 4090 to be a little more efficient. It also uses far less power on it's cooler, which you may be able to reduce your desktop power usage further by tweaking. You also have a really power efficient CPU in your laptop, though your desktop isn't awful that definitely is a factor.

All that said, that is surprising to me the delta is that much. I'd expect more like 50 to maybe 100W, 150W makes me think there may be something else with your desktop setup that is drawing power, but maybe that laptop is just at a sweet performance zone or something.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Livin' la video loca con puerto para graficos acelerados gigante!

Vir
Dec 14, 2007

Does it tickle when your Body Thetans flap their wings, eh Beatrice?
Daniel Jensen has met Rahul Ligma
https://twitter.com/TenreiroDaniel/status/1781062851689373875

I'm still using my 1660 Super OC 6G and the Gigabyte dual fan cooler has held up running games and Folding@Home almost continuously without a single slurring sound all this time. At work I've been giving some GPUs the Noctua treatment.

What would be the sweet spot for playing Cyberpunk 2077 with raytracing on in 1080p? 4070 Ti? Based on the price to performance, it almost looks like going for a 3080 is a more economical choice.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Vir fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Apr 18, 2024

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Haha, by a strange coincidence, I'm about to do this sort of thing to my 4090.
The fans are at zero a lot of the time but have a minimum of 30%, so when they come alive, it is noticeable. There's few particular RPMs that are a bit, idk, resonant in an annoying way, so strapping 3 Noctuas should solve it. It's also cheaper and more reversible than sticking an AIO water cooler on it.

Not sure of the specifics as you are aiming for 1080, but maybe a 4070 Super would be better price wise? The 4000 series is also uses less power so should be cheaper to run, and maybe cooler/quieter, compared to a 3080.
Really depends on the price you can get a 3080 I guess.

We had this sort of discussion a wee while back when my nephew was considering a 3080 (ti maybe?) for about the same price as a 4070 Super, and the 4070 Super won out on price/performance/energy use/software features.

If I could get a 3080 for say 100-150 less than a 4070, then I'd be tempted though.

Not my pics btw

YerDa Zabam fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Apr 18, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

YerDa Zabam posted:

Not my pics btw

idk why but I adore these sorts of mods, they look so... janky but good.