Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Lol, yeah, they are just stuck on with double sided tape too haha. Seems mega sketchy, but I guess that even if the tape fails then it's not a big deal, the fan would just drop a bit into the case. Guy has been running it like that for a year now.
Thy did it to fit into a SFF case, but I just want to make it a bit quieter, and £50 or so seems more reasonable than £270 for the water cooling thing I was eyeing up.
He says it was about 10c cooler and far quieter, so fingers crossed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

YerDa Zabam posted:

Haha, by a strange coincidence, I'm about to do this sort of thing to my 4090.
The fans are at zero a lot of the time but have a minimum of 30%, so when they come alive, it is noticeable. There's few particular RPMs that are a bit, idk, resonant in an annoying way, so strapping 3 Noctuas should solve it. It's also cheaper and more reversible than sticking an AIO water cooler on it.

Not sure of the specifics as you are aiming for 1080, but maybe a 4070 Super would be better price wise? The 4000 series is also uses less power so should be cheaper to run, and maybe cooler/quieter, compared to a 3080.
Really depends on the price you can get a 3080 I guess.

We had this sort of discussion a wee while back when my nephew was considering a 3080 (ti maybe?) for about the same price as a 4070 Super, and the 4070 Super won out on price/performance/energy use/software features.

If I could get a 3080 for say 100-150 less than a 4070, then I'd be tempted though.

Not my pics btw

Weird this person put their arm in an extra thick cable sleeve......

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Braided Brad. Sleeved from top to toe.

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

If he waits long enough he can use his accrued interest from his savings to bring his negative checking balance back into the black.
I've been reading a lot about CPU bottle necking and see a ton of conflicting information. I'm hoping this thread can set me straight because I need a little more FPS on my 1440p monitor.

So i currently have a AMD Ryzen 7 3700x and 32gb ram and I want to get a 4070 but sites like userbenchmark say my CPU will bottleneck the GPU and then I read forums that say that kind of talk is exaggerated and I should still be happy with the performance increase.

I've been on the fence for a few weeks now on wether to buy a whole new rig(i dont really want to as this one is fast) or to buy just a new GPU and that's where I freeze because I don't know what GPU to buy. Hoping you guys can help me!

Also my monitor has freesync if that matters.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

My only advice is to absolutely, completely ignore userbenchmark.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Userbenchmark makes up tests designed to gently caress AMD over. The guy who runs it is a loving nutjob.

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

Jiro posted:

Weird this person put their arm in an extra thick cable sleeve......

Its a two-in-one cable sleeve and GPU support!

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

If he waits long enough he can use his accrued interest from his savings to bring his negative checking balance back into the black.

Kazinsal posted:

Userbenchmark makes up tests designed to gently caress AMD over. The guy who runs it is a loving nutjob.

Well then It looks legit! But drat that sucks i've been fretting over a GPU because of that site for a long time lmao.

Guess I'm gonna just get the 4070 and enjoy it.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

YerDa Zabam posted:

Lol, yeah, they are just stuck on with double sided tape too haha. Seems mega sketchy, but I guess that even if the tape fails then it's not a big deal, the fan would just drop a bit into the case. Guy has been running it like that for a year now.
Thy did it to fit into a SFF case, but I just want to make it a bit quieter, and £50 or so seems more reasonable than £270 for the water cooling thing I was eyeing up.
He says it was about 10c cooler and far quieter, so fingers crossed.

If you’re gonna go for a jank build, I’m a firm airplane snips and zip tie proponent. If it’s worth doing, it’s worth doing well and that applies to jank too :colbert:

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Vir posted:

What would be the sweet spot for playing Cyberpunk 2077 with raytracing on in 1080p? 4070 Ti? Based on the price to performance, it almost looks like going for a 3080 is a more economical choice.

With DLSS assist the 4070ti will do Cyberpunk RT Ultra at a pretty stable 1440p 60fps (that's how I played it personally), for 1080p you can absolutely get by with a 4070 Super unless you're getting a hella deal on a 3080.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Fallows posted:

Well then It looks legit! But drat that sucks i've been fretting over a GPU because of that site for a long time lmao.

It's really going to depend on the games you play, and which GPU you're currently running.

As a rule, most FPS games will run perfectly well at 1440p with a 3700/4070 combo. You're unlikely to see CPU bottlenecks at 1440 on RT titles like CP2077 etc unless you're running lower detail levels to target 144hz+ specifically (don't). Baldur's Gate 3 and Starfield if I recall have some pretty CPU-heavy areas, but they're somewhat outliers at the moment. Management games such as Cities Skylines 2, Transport Fever etc are more CPU-intensive and are more likely to hitch and chug on the older CPU.

If I were in your position I would absolutely get the 4070 now, and then consider throwing in a cheap 5700x or one of the X3D chips if you're finding it's an issue with the games you play - otherwise I'd hang out until Zen 5 if it seems alright.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

We're starting to see games stress out CPUs (BG3 and Dragon's Dogma 2 are just two recent examples) so I'm not sure the old advice of "buy as much GPU as you can first then see about the CPU" is always true these days

Anyway, depends on what Fallow's current GPU is as well

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

shrike82 posted:

We're starting to see games stress out CPUs (BG3 and Dragon's Dogma 2 are just two recent examples) so I'm not sure the old advice of "buy as much GPU as you can first then see about the CPU" is always true these days

100%. Also driven by the emergence of actual bonafide improvement in CPU performance, which had effectively stalled from sandy bridge until the Zen 2 release lit a fire under Intel.

Before Zen2 we were basically getting single digit IPC gains dressed up with some reasonable power and QoL improvements, but nothing that really had an impact for gaming. Most people were fine to sit on a 2700k all the way through to the release of Ampere and RDNA2 and not be reasonably disadvantaged, especially in 1440p gaming. CPU became an absolute afterthought for average gamers on midrange GPUs - if you had an i5/i7 that could boost near enough to 4ghz you were good.

I definitely don't remember this being the case in the past - before I got my 2500K, GPU and CPU upgrades were roughly 1:1, and I typically won't upgrade either unless something's broken or I can't play the games I want to play anymore. Since I swapped that out for a Zen+ I've been back to 1:1.

Spose current gen console CPUs not being laughably bad compared to an average gaming PC at the time has helped things along a bit also.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

There were significant performance improvements after sandy bridge. A 6700K could kick the poo poo out of a 2700K. The stagnation at Intel really didn't begin until after Skylake.

Mahatma-Squid
Nov 22, 2004

One of the last true gentlemen left alive . ';,,,,,,,,;'

Fallows posted:

I recently grabbed a 4070 as an upgrade to my 5700xt and I've been really happy with it, I was planning on grabbing a 5700x3d to replace my 3600 (which doesn't even run stable with CPB so even slower than usual) but it's been enough of an overall improvement that I'm putting off the CPU upgrade for a while.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

There were significant performance improvements after sandy bridge. A 6700K could kick the poo poo out of a 2700K. The stagnation at Intel really didn't begin until after Skylake.

In terms of raw IPC I'm sure that's true, especially if you were able to run DDR4 at decent speeds at the time - but I definitely remember popping into the Intel thread every time a new line of chips came out, and the general consensus being that CPU upgrades were a poor value proposition for sandy-bridge-havers.

That said you're probably right, and it was more a factor that the games themselves weren't particularly CPU-hungry so the relative performance improvement of Skylake over Sandy Bridge played less of a part.

Also gamers/DIY-ers running Sandy Bridge CPUs past 2016 were mostly also running them overclocked to buggery, in the 4.4-4.8ghz range, keeping them competitive for longer.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

old news now and dragon's dogma 2 isn't the norm but still find the cpu numbers for it bizarre

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

shrike82 posted:

You're still getting much better mileage out of the GPU most of the time but AM4 having an actual upgrade path does help.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Get the cheapest X3D CPU you can afford then spend the rest on GPU.

Vir
Dec 14, 2007

Does it tickle when your Body Thetans flap their wings, eh Beatrice?
Thanks for the tip about the 4070 Super. I'll definitely upgrade in time for Kingdome Come: Deliverance II at the very least.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
devastating, vague rumours that nvidia might be working directly in league with the sff perverts:

https://wccftech.com/nvidia-partners-create-new-sff-gaming-pc-ecosystem-powered-sff-enthusiast-geforce-gpus/

quote:

We have learned that NVIDIA is working with its partners which not only include AICs (graphics card makers) but also chassis, PSU, manufacturers, etc, to put together components that are perfect for SFF builds.

quote:

NVIDIA will be laying out SFF guidelines which will be passed over to its partners & eventually help gamers build these compact PCs. The guidelines will include the creation of a standard for AICs & chassis manufacturers based on dimensions and clearances between enthusiast GPUs and SFF PC chassis. Following is the main description of the new ecosystem:

quote:

Enthusiasts around the world are choosing Small Form Factor chassis for their dream rigs.

However, when building around modern enthusiast GPUs, finding the best components for a SFF (Small Form Factor) build can be challenging.

NVIDIA has developed form factor guidelines to help Gamers pick the best GeForce RTX GPU and components for their SFF build.

These guidelines provide dimensions and clearances between enthusiast graphics cards and SFF chassis, creating a standard for AIC and chassis manufacturers to help make building SFF Gaming PCs a great experience.

Now you must be wondering if this opens up the space for more Mini-ITX and compact NVIDIA GeForce RTX GPUs. Well, the answer is both a yes and no. You see, NVIDIA won't be offering any compact variants of its own since this is mostly a partner-driven program but partners are free to experiment with their solutions to offer GPUs that comply with the "SFF Enthusiast GeForce" label.

The labels will be applied to both existing and new graphics cards from AICs so we can expect the GeForce RTX 4060 & 4060 Ti series to be the first to adopt this new standard as a true compact ITX (SFF) solution. But the "SFF Enthusiast GPU" label isn't confined to ITX options.

maybe we'll have high-range cards that aren't the size of briefcases some day

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

I have a 4090 in a 10L case, it'd be nice to go smaller.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

kliras posted:

devastating, vague rumours that nvidia might be working directly in league with the sff perverts:

https://wccftech.com/nvidia-partners-create-new-sff-gaming-pc-ecosystem-powered-sff-enthusiast-geforce-gpus/

:sickos:

Arzachel
May 12, 2012
^^^ :hfive:

kliras posted:

:sickos:

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

kliras posted:

Took 'em long enough....plenty of AIBs have been making custom SFF cards for years

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast
I hope they can have a normalised shroud so they can be physically part of the case, I love the builds where the card is just flush with the case exterior, no impediment to airflow

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

shrike82 posted:

old news now and dragon's dogma 2 isn't the norm but still find the cpu numbers for it bizarre

Lol jesus christ this sucks, I was planning on giving my friend my old 5600X and it's already struggling in new games

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

That game is hosed though

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
if dragon's dogma 2 is using the re engine, then maybe i can start to see why monster hunter wilds isn't coming out this year after all

which would be mhw all over again where they had to use the mt engine because they scrapped their soulslike that was supposed to have the next big panta rhei engine

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

In most other areas, DD2 is actually significantly less broken and buggy than other open world RPGs, but it has serious performance problems. The RE engine is excellent for the types of games Capcom typically makes, but this is the first open world game they tried to use it for and it is not going well. Capcom has identified some of the key causes of the issues though and claimed they're working on it, so we'll see.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

DD2 is as shallow as a puddle - I wouldn't worry about it.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
If you watch a lot of youtube, are the RTX video enhancement features (the super resolution and 'HDR") good enough to just turn on and forget?

Also does anyone know if it works for every video source (like including Stremio app) or if it's for web players, or what?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

change my name posted:

Lol jesus christ this sucks, I was planning on giving my friend my old 5600X and it's already struggling in new games

I wouldn't consider DD2 to be the bar by which you judge a processor. By all indications the game is incredibly hosed performance-wise. IIRC one of the big things that's slamming CPUs is how it handles really basic AI behavior, with people getting massive performance hits the second they enter a city and that AI calculation comes online.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

kliras posted:

The perfect case would look something like this:

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

As someone with a full sized 2070 squeezed into a mini-itx build, the idea of having to move up to a larger case is one of the biggest things keeping me from upgrading so I'm glad to hear that we might see smaller cards soon.

slidebite posted:

The perfect case would look something like this:

The Fractal Design Terra is most of the way there. 13.5 inches long by 6 inches wide by 8.5 inches tall.

Rosalind fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Apr 19, 2024

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

change my name posted:

Don't worry about the shittiest optimized game. 5600x is still decent.

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Taima posted:

If you watch a lot of youtube, are the RTX video enhancement features (the super resolution and 'HDR") good enough to just turn on and forget?

Also does anyone know if it works for every video source (like including Stremio app) or if it's for web players, or what?

I switched it on and forgot about it until you mentioned it. Never noticed any issues.
Dunno about any specific apps, but there is s long as gently caress faq that might cover it
https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5448/~/rtx-video-faq

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Capcom has released multiple patches for DD2 including one recently that state they're trying to improve DLSS image quality - they seem to be struggling with it technically for some reason

shrike82 fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Apr 19, 2024

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Rosalind posted:

As someone with a full sized 2070 squeezed into a mini-itx build, the idea of having to move up to a larger case is one of the biggest things keeping me from upgrading so I'm glad to hear that we might see smaller cards soon.

The Fractal Design Terra is most of the way there. 13.5 inches long by 6 inches wide by 8.5 inches tall.

That actually looks pretty good, NGL

Would be better with animated flames though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Shouldn't be too hard to mod a fake fireplace display into the side of that