Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

if you're running two 3090s in the same machine you are presumably not using them for gaming, and probably running them at full tilt much more often than a gamer would

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

You literally can't use two 3090s for gaming, it doesn't work.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

More practical issue is 4090 variants tend to be much larger than 3090s so you're going to have trouble fitting them in a box

I've seen multi-gpu compute prosumers give up on consumer geforces and transition to the 6000 "quaddro" equivalents because of physical box constraints

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

You literally can't use two 3090s for gaming, it doesn't work.

Not true, Ampere mGPU works in RoTTR and, uhh, Strange Brigade?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

DD2 doesn't used baked GI, though other RE engine games have. Alex speculated that it may have been used as a ground truth to compare against when developing their RTGI implementation.

It would be neat if they can get it in good enough shape to ship it as a bonus feature in a patch, though it needs not only denoising but likely a new sampling algorithm that will fix the candle issue. (it's probably not using anything like restir)

Adding in a true denoiser might be beyond what's possible with modding, but I wonder if modders can mod in ray reconstruction somehow. That might solve the denoising problem, at least.

The candles looked fine, IMO, it was the bag-of-produce props that were totally ignored by PT that I’d want fixed.

The mod page talks about using ReShade to do a gentle denoising pass. I’d definitely want the DLSSFG mod around too though, even at 1440.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

BurritoJustice posted:

Not true, Ampere mGPU works in RoTTR and, uhh, Strange Brigade?

and the thing most gamers with 2x3090 or 2x3090ti's are running: 3dmark

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Subjunctive posted:

The candles looked fine, IMO, it was the bag-of-produce props that were totally ignored by PT that I’d want fixed.

I meant this:

Many interior spaces are just pitch black.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Ah yeah, though that would make spotting lootables even easier!

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Lord Stimperor posted:

I mean it'll vary greatly with usage and what not. I think in the US energy is cheap enough that it isn't worth the bother. In EU energy prices can be multiples of the US prices. So, over the lifetime of your computer a more energy efficient GPU (as compared to a less efficient one) may pay itself back, while at the same time allowing you to keep a smaller PSU, less heat, less strain etc.

I'm reading that at full load, 2 3090s would consume about 750W. For a 4090 that's supposedly 461W. Full load is not a realistic scenario for gaming and most usages, but it gives an upper limit for the savings. I'm also reading that 3090s consume about 100W idle. That seems implausibly high to me. For the 4090 it's supposedly less than 10W.

So, under full load you get 289W difference. At 25 ct. energy price that's 7 ct. difference per hour max load. If you do high quality VR for two hours every day, that'd be 14.05 ct. per diem, or 51 EUR/USD per annum. Not bad, but maybe not worth it.

For the idle condition the difference might still be a whopping 180W - if those reports of high idle power consumption are true. That would actually start making a pretty substantial effect. Let's say your computer runs another 2 hours idle every day, you'd save another 31 EUR/USD per annum.

Altogether the absolute maximum might be in the order of 82 EUR/USD per annum. Less if you live in Texas (ca. 50 USD p.a.), more if you life in Germany (maybe 110 EUR p.a.). That's in addition to improvements in quality of life, chiefly less load, heat, fan noise, and wear. And warranty. So depending on what you pay for electricity and how long your computer runs it might be worth it.

pg&e's 52 cents/kWh would like to disagree with "cheap enough"

Suspect A
Jan 1, 2015

Nap Ghost
Is there a timeline where running a 4090 on 75W board power is more cost effective than buying a less power efficient card.

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

I meant this:

Many interior spaces are just pitch black.

I wonder how far that is off, really? I think those candles would light up the room a bit more than that, but nowhere near as much as the traditional lighting shows. The bigger problem might be that interior spaces aren't designed for realistic lighting.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

slidebite posted:

God dammit, my local best buy shows stock on 4090FE, now I have to decide if I want to drop the coin :argh:

My rationalization that I’m wrestling with is “both my kids have 1080Tis, so I could upgrade one to my 2080Ti then have them fight to the death over the 4090 I get when I replace that with a 5090!!!1!”

I’m helping them if you really think about it, I’m so selfless

*cough*

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

pyrotek posted:

I wonder how far that is off, really? I think those candles would light up the room a bit more than that, but nowhere near as much as the traditional lighting shows. The bigger problem might be that interior spaces aren't designed for realistic lighting.

It is probably quite close to accurate, candles are probably even dimmer than that in real life and the textures the light is bouncing off of are also pretty dark, so basically the whole scene is catastrophically under lit for how it is exposed in the second image. It might work slightly better in full end to end HDR with some automatic iris/exposure adjustments happening but basically you are correct that the space isn't designed for realistic lighting which is a super common issue with conventionally hand lit game scenes. The original developers would just throw in some candles and then adjust the lighting till the room is about correct for traditional rasterization, it worked fine for the time even if the result is some candles or windows that act thousands of times brighter than they would be in reality. So when you come back and inject realistic lighting while still compressing the result down to standard dynamic range, the whole scene either washes out from extreme brightness, or collapses into almost complete darkness like that.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

To be fair, the image on the left is using probe-based ray-traced GI, but that doesn't preclude them from using invisible fill lights that may not be working correctly in the path tracing mode. Or some kind of amped-up unrealistic light value for the candles. The latter could still be done with path tracing, if you have a sampling algorithm that can reliably sample those lights.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Apr 28, 2024

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

pyrotek posted:

Typical candles put out about 10 lumens. Recommended lighting standards for a general use room are about 10-20 lumens per square foot. That picture has about 1% of the number you'd need for that space

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005
The main problem isn't the candles, it looks wrong because of the windows not lighting the space at all.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

spend more on candles

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
Yeah, the windows are probably not throwing as much as they should, assuming full sunlight on the other side anyway. But it could also be evening or cloudy or something like that, the room most likely would be very dark if that scene was recreated in real life (although your eyes would normally adjust allowing you to see better than that).

This is the cool thing about realistic ray traced lighting though, it just works and conforms to what would happen in reality, it isn't always broken around the edges in some strange video gamey way, but it also means you can't just bullshit a brightly lit space anymore. The light has to come from somewhere.

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib

repiv posted:

spend more on candles

we all know where that leads

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

To be fair, the image on the left is using probe-based ray-traced GI, but that doesn't preclude them from using invisible fill lights that may not be working correctly in the path tracing mode. Or some kind of amped-up unrealistic light value for the candles. The latter could still be done with path tracing, if you have a sampling algorithm that can reliably sample those lights.

with only 1 bounce and even 4spp, I wonder how many rays even touch a candle to get an over indexed light value anyway

DD2 does have iris/exposure adjustment, but it doesn’t seem to have the effect I’d expect

I think the most promising thing here, unless Capcom pulls ray reconstruction out of their butts, is a mod that switches to 2-bounce-and-4spp-with-DLAA PT when in photo mode or many even when taking a screenshot

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.

Taima posted:

Anyways I was curious, Jedi Survivor came out on Game Pass, and I've been paying it for 30 minutes or so. Digital Foundry has a video from a few months ago that claims the port is absolute poo poo and totally unplayable. I trust them, but my experience has been... fine? Like sure, it's no Forbidden West pc port, but did they fix it recently or something?

The reason I ask is because I don't want to get too far into this game just to discover, later, that aspects of the port ruin the experience...

it's not a great port or anything and is still poorly optimised, has some stuttering problems and plenty of graphical glitches, etc. but it's hardly unplayable either. there's a whole lot of room for improvement on the technical side but none of the issues come close to ruining it in its current state

Sorbus
Apr 1, 2010
Ordered a 1000w Asus tuf PSU as well as I currently have a 750w and I want to have headroom for new cpu and watercooling at some point as well.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

Wrong thread. oops.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

https://twitter.com/TechPowerUp/status/1784871691409068377

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

what the hell

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Subjunctive posted:

what the hell

All those frames... lost... like tears in rain

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

This happens all the time when there are defective high-end GPUs.

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Just team green being green. (and making more green)
That 2060 is a recent one that's springs to mind, but yeah, there's been loads over the years

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

They made a 1060 3GB variant from a 1080 die late in the Pascal cycle. From 2560 shaders to 1152, ha.

e: linky https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/nvidia-gp104.g793

Cygni fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Apr 30, 2024

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

There were 3080/3090 dies converted for use in the 3070 Ti too, though those dies were a bit closer together in size. (10752 shaders cut down to 6144)

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Apr 30, 2024

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
sounds like a big thing for remix: ray reconstruction support from dlss 3.5

https://twitter.com/GeForce_JacobF/status/1785296447975608465

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Whoa, maybe there is hope for DD2 PT after all!

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Subjunctive posted:

Whoa, maybe there is hope for DD2 PT after all!

DD2 PT doesn't use RTX Remix (DD2 shipped with the feature disabled and hidden, and RTX Remix doesn't work with new games anyway). So this probably isn't relevant, though modders could still find a way to hack DLSS RR into the game independently of this.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Still waiting for Half-Life 2 RTX :(

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Adding ray tracing to XIII is a hilarious lack of understanding of why that game is cool.

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib

Nfcknblvbl posted:

Still waiting for Half-Life 3 RTX :(

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Haven't heard a peep about it since last year, god, I hope they actually do finish it.

In case anyone hasn't seen it..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nIE9gQt6WXQ

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

it's still chugging along but it sounds like they announced it very early so it's probably still ages away

https://twitter.com/kommanderkarl/status/1780565563468546060

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

DD2 PT doesn't use RTX Remix (DD2 shipped with the feature disabled and hidden, and RTX Remix doesn't work with new games anyway). So this probably isn't relevant, though modders could still find a way to hack DLSS RR into the game independently of this.

The latest DD2 PT mod update uses some wizardry to blend the ASVGF render into the PT for denoising, or something.

The lantern light is still weird, though, and I get like 35fps in town with frame generation enabled. Future version of the mod that just switches in photo mode or even for screenshots would be nice; for now I’m back to just good old DLSS and 100% RT resolution.

(The HDR also sucks.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Subjunctive posted:

The latest DD2 PT mod update uses some wizardry to blend the ASVGF render into the PT for denoising, or something.

The lantern light is still weird, though, and I get like 35fps in town with frame generation enabled. Future version of the mod that just switches in photo mode or even for screenshots would be nice; for now I’m back to just good old DLSS and 100% RT resolution.

(The HDR also sucks.)

Trying this now. It's neat, but the biggest problem is that this technique requires you to disable light bounces from the path tracer, which causes shadow detail to be crushed.

Adding a light bounces fixes this, but then the noise is back.