Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

FuturePastNow posted:

it's FSR 1.0 and DLSS 2.0

It should be illegal to use FSR 1.0 at this point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

I am a bit surprised anyone would need dlss in ff14

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Yaoi Gagarin posted:

I am a bit surprised anyone would need dlss in ff14

Yeah same really, it's one of those games that feels like every card in the last 5 years has posted triple digit framerates in benchmarks, and if you're still trying to squeeze what you can out of a 1060 you can't use DLSS anyway.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

It's getting a graphics update in the next expansion to all the lighting/reflections/etc which is accompanied by a big increase to the system requirements. Of course it will still run on a PS4 so I assume there will be some potato mode fallback graphics quality

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
it's getting a graphics "overhaul" in version 7.0 which requires higher specs. has spiffy new technology like ambient occlusion!

some of the new listed recs just make it sound like you need more vram to store the textures that no longer look like something outta minecraft though

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Looks like the random checkerboarding in Chrome is finally getting fixed! :toot:

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer
After trying for more than a year I finally snagged a 4090 FE at MSRP and picked it up today.

The retail package weighs 14 lbs. according to my postal scale. I won't be unboxing it for a week since I need to buy a new Power Supply to support it. But just wondering how much of that is the actual card and why the heck it's so heavy.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Chuu posted:

After trying for more than a year I finally snagged a 4090 FE at MSRP and picked it up today.

The retail package weighs 14 lbs. according to my postal scale. I won't be unboxing it for a week since I need to buy a new Power Supply to support it. But just wondering how much of that is the actual card and why the heck it's so heavy.

Did you check it doesn't contain bricks? The card is 2,186 grams, so 4.8 pounds. I had a 3080 FE and there weren't any accessories included with any appreciable weight, just a power dongle adapter for older PSUs.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
No, the 4090 FE box is this entirely excessive solid cube of plastic cardboard, it is unreasonably heavy even without the card it it. The card is also roughly the size and consistency of a brick.

E: don't get me wrong, the presentation it makes is great, but it really brings nothing to the table over a plain folded cardboard box with an insert other than the knowledge that the margins Nvidia makes on this are absolutely sick if they can splurge that much on just the box.

Indiana_Krom fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Apr 14, 2024

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Zero VGS posted:

Did you check it doesn't contain bricks? The card is 2,186 grams, so 4.8 pounds. I had a 3080 FE and there weren't any accessories included with any appreciable weight, just a power dongle adapter for older PSUs.

I picked it up in person at best buy and it's still sealed in the foxconn packaging, with a UPS label to the best buy location on the box. Unfortunately I do not want to even think about opening it until I get the power supply, since you can't open the exterior packaging with it being evident. It's sealed with glue with a pull tab, not tape.

I've googled the various codes on the box and they all show up as related to a 4090. The best buy sku on that last picture is attached via a sticker though, not printed.

Does anything about this look suspicious?

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
Open the box :monocle:

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

Chuu posted:

I picked it up in person at best buy and it's still sealed in the foxconn packaging, with a UPS label to the best buy location on the box. Unfortunately I do not want to even think about opening it until I get the power supply, since you can't open the exterior packaging with it being evident. It's sealed with glue with a pull tab, not tape.

I've googled the various codes on the box and they all show up as related to a 4090. The best buy sku on that last picture is attached via a sticker though, not printed.

Does anything about this look suspicious?

That is a box identical to the one my 4090 came in.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah but who the gently caress cares if you opened the outer packaging. Certainly not Best Buy. Why are you dragging this out?

John Doe has the upper hand.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

What’s in the box??

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

best buy got you the most brutal graphics card of all

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vJjIUPRWjg

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Indiana_Krom posted:

That is a box identical to the one my 4090 came in.

The 4080 Super I received (which has the same dimensions and weight as a 4090) came in the same box and was also marked as 14 pounds FWIW

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

MarcusSA posted:

What’s in the box??

efb

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

Gwyneth Paltrow's head weighs about 8 pounds.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
Also the warranty period begins from the date of purchase, not the date of opening the box. You can safely open the box.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

To piggy back on the early discussion of used GPU buying, ive been slowly picking up dual GPU cards when i see them on ebay. A lot of em need some love before being usable and had a doozy today.

A few days ago, i saw this 4870 X2 for the princely sum of $3.99 plus shipping. The description said it had artifacting before it was taken out of service many years ago.

At that price, I had to jump on it knowing it was gonna have issues. And boy... as soon as the box showed up, I knew I was in trouble. The thing fuckin REEKED. Smokers + animals.

I tried to test boot it before starting the tear down. No post, fan spun, heatsink dead cold, the LED diagnostic lights flashed and went off, nothing else. and the fan blasted more stank into my life. Not a great start.

Started cleaning and the scroll fan was completely matted into a single mass (images spoilers for moderately nasty):

The smoke did a number on the thermal pads:

When I got down to the PCB, I was worried it was toast... but it was just built up char in places with high airflow. After scrubbing the iso and a tooth brush, everything looked good (except the iso that came off that was like, dark brown)

I reassembled and repasted and booted right up! Instead of cold heatsink though, it was ripping hot and the heat error LED was lit. Hm. I pulled it back apart and decided to pull the copper stacks themselves out of the shroud. Sure enough, completely blocked with a matte of fur:

Got it back together, and running great! 4870X2 for $4 bucks, not bad.

Family portrait with my other working duals:

So more generally, the lessons from my experience of buying all these used GPUs lately is probably:
  • Beware of smoker cards, obviously.
  • Be prepared to do a little maintenance, at least a repaste.
  • Cards with a water block on them, especially pure black EKWB with no terminals attached, are very likely from a server environment. They likely have higher power on hours and higher lifetime use.
  • A seller offloading hundreds of something like identical RX 470s is selling off a mining farm. Doesn't mean the cards are bad, but factor that in to your decision.
  • Used hybrid cards with an AIO can be trouble and the price can reflect that. The AIO will eventually fail due to permeation, and it can be expensive to swap cards to air cooling these days.
  • For "as is" or "untested", look at the screws/backplate in the photos. If the screws show evidence of rounding or use, the card has probably been pulled apart, and someone may have tried to fix it and failed.
  • For "used tested good", if theres a warranty sticker still present on a screw it can be a good sign.
  • If they are selling "as is" or "untested" in general, that may mean they tried to fix it and failed.
  • If you are looking at an "as is" or "untested" part, and the seller has 10,000 reviews and 200 items on the store of various rare parts, especially if a lot of the other items say "tested good", you can almost guarantee that they tested it and it failed. I personally tend to favor smaller sellers for those types of listings.
  • Conversely, "used tested good" from a big seller is likely more reliable than a small seller.
  • Older cards can be VERY picky with power quality.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
cannot believe people smoke indoors in 2024, that's insane

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Shipon posted:

cannot believe people smoke indoors in 2024, that's insane

Keep in mind smoke isn't just cigarettes.

edit: and frankly your average :420: is probably worse than cigs just in terms of being unfiltered and leaving even more residue on crap. That said, unless someone is a totally degenerate stoner they probably aren't packing bowls with the frequency a regular smoker lights up. Probably about an even split all things considered.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

MarcusSA posted:

It should be illegal to use FSR 1.0 at this point

isn't FSR 1.0 at the minimum better than TAA?

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?

gradenko_2000 posted:

Nope! Its not an anti aliasing technique at all, and requires the image to be antialiased to work properly. Hence why despite the fact they for some reason put it in splatoon 3, it does nothing because there is no pre antialliasing.

FSR 2.0 is a temporal upscaler that also does antialiasing by its own process.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

gradenko_2000 posted:

FSR 1.0 is literally just an upscaler lol
e: like, i don't think it's any more sophisticated than if you went into paint and clicked "resize picture" for every frame lol

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

love it

I recognise a couple of these from my own past too

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005

Truga posted:

FSR 1.0 is literally just an upscaler lol
e: like, i don't think it's any more sophisticated than if you went into paint and clicked "resize picture" for every frame lol
It's a little more sophisticated in that it has built-in deringing and contrast-adaptive sharpening. But apart from that it's basically bicubic with extra steps.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Llamadeus posted:

It's a little more sophisticated in that it has built-in deringing and contrast-adaptive sharpening. But apart from that it's basically bicubic with extra steps.

It's lanczos not bicubic, but yeah.

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005

BurritoJustice posted:

It's lanczos not bicubic, but yeah.
Yeah but theyre approximating a specific window for Lanczos that is functionally identical to bicubic.

Bicubic (Catmull-Rom): https://www.wolframalpha.com/input?i=%281%2F6%29%28-3%7Cx%7C%5E3+%2B+15%7Cx%7C%5E2+-+24%7Cx%7C+%2B+12%29+from+1+to+2
Lanczos (2 lobes): https://www.wolframalpha.com/input?i=sinc%28pi*x%29*sinc%28pi*x%2F2%29+from+1+to+2
Their approximation: https://www.wolframalpha.com/input?...5E2+from+1+to+2

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

If you want to do simple spatial upscaling for whatever reason, FSR1 is perfectly fine. It's very fast and can upscale at non-integer factors cleanly with minimal softening or ringing. That said, if they have DLSS support then I don't understand why it's FSR1 instead of 2. Square-Enix also used FSR1 for FF XVI. Yoshi P really does not like FSR2 I guess.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Apr 15, 2024

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Is there a 4060 model people prefer/would stay away from? I'm building a budget gaming rig for a friend and they're all about $300ish so I just wanted to see if anyone had opinions

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

If you want to do simple spatial upscaling for whatever reason, FSR1 is perfectly fine. It's very fast and can upscale at non-integer factors cleanly with minimal softening or ringing. That said, if they have DLSS support then I don't understand why it's FSR1 instead of 2. Square-Enix also used FSR1 for FF XVI. Yoshi P really does not like FSR2 I guess.

Will FSR1 and not 2 run on a PS4?

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

kliras posted:

better fsr3; dlss got a new, improved E profile with 3.7, and xess also got an upgrade with 1.3, good times. and that's on top of directsr

https://twitter.com/HardwareUnboxed/status/1776023671347564547
alex has a new video on xess 1.3. i keep forgetting that there's two types of xess depending on whether you have dp4a or xmx support, which will definitely continue to confuse a lot of people including myself

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PneArHayDv4

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I've been following 4090s for more than a year trying to snag a FE at retail.

I think today is the first day that they've just been openly avaliable. nVidia has had them in stock on their website all day. 4080 Supers too.

I wonder what the market might start to look like if we're finally at the point that scalpers can't make any money.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Meanwhile, the cheapest AIB model available in the US is somehow this liquid-cooled MSI model, for $1750: https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/p/accessories-and-software/graphics-cards/graphics_cards/78426565

Every AIB hiked the price of their base models to $1800, and this model is $1900 at a few other stores, so I think Lenovo never updated their prices. With all of the random student discounts and promo codes the Lenovo store has, this is actually a pretty decent deal.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Chuu posted:

I wonder what the market might start to look like if we're finally at the point that scalpers can't make any money.
I feel like we got screwed when mfgs/aib's saw that people were willing to pay several hundred over retail decided they'd be the scalpers instead.

Kivi
Aug 1, 2006
I care
Bought one of those silly lil ARC 310 cards from Sparkle and it's mostly fine but it has the worlds most annoying oscillating fan. Apparently this is a FW fault, so I was thinking if I could just unplug the fan until they fix that FW.

I'm assuming that these Intel ARC cards thermally throttle normally and can handle running without fan for short periods? Apparently sensors don't work on Linux yet.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse
Tempted to grab a 4090 FE, but I'm not in dire need of an upgrade. Is there any good idea if the 5000 series would be worth waiting for? I haven't paid any attention to the info about the next generation.

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Kivi posted:

Bought one of those silly lil ARC 310 cards from Sparkle and it's mostly fine but it has the worlds most annoying oscillating fan. Apparently this is a FW fault, so I was thinking if I could just unplug the fan until they fix that FW.

I'm assuming that these Intel ARC cards thermally throttle normally and can handle running without fan for short periods? Apparently sensors don't work on Linux yet.

CoreCtrl or CoolerControl no good?
Rather than just unplug it, could you extend the wire to a motherboard header and control it from that instead maybe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
cool to see that sony is experimenting with dedicated playstation crossplatform and crossplay support that supports playstation trophies for their pc ports:

https://blog.playstation.com/2024/04/17/ghost-of-tsushima-directors-cut-pc-cross-play-and-system-requirements-revealed/

system requirements also don't look too terrible, and the game supports both fsr 3, xess 1.?, and dlss 3

nixxes doing great work, can't believe sony actually made a good business decision in acquiring them