Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
So I'm upgrading from an old GTX560Ti to a GTX970.

I noticed that the 970 uses PCIe 3.0 where my current motherboard is still PCIe 2.0. I know that it's backwards-compatible, but will I notice any performance hit at all?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Pascal apparently has some yield issues so supply is quite limited

Are the yield issues just on the Pascal end or with GDDRX supplies too? I thought I heard that GDDR5X memory supplies were constrained and that was also a factor with 1080 availability. Since the 1070 uses regular GDDR5 it wouldn't be impacted as much.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

Yes, but custom boards take time to design, as does modifying whatever needs to be modified to fit their custom coolers to the reference board.

EVGA had their custom 1070 at Computex last week. The cooler design looks extremely similar to the 1080 counterpart.
They clearly are already designed, the question is how many will they have available.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

wicka posted:

i could be wrong and dumb but i haven't seen any in stock

All the initial shipments are going out around 6/10 apparently. I'd expect to see stock gradually increase after that, particularly as the other new GPUs start to come on the market as well.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

What's the estimated wait for the "good" 1070 cards at this point? My understanding is that the Founder's Edition comes out on the 10th, but it's a bad choice because of....

1. Higher MSRP
2. Scalpers pushing it even higher
3. Bad cooling

Nobody knows. Anybody who says so is just guessing.

The "good" 1080s are apparently coming in the next week, which is about 3-4 weeks after the founders edition came out.
Some people are using that as a guideline, but nobody knows if the stock situation on the 1070 will be better or worse.
(Signs pointing to better: It uses regular GDDR5 memory which is not difficult to come by, as opposed to the 1080's GDDR5X which is new.
Signs pointing to worse: It's cheaper and there seems to be a great deal of pent up demand for it.)

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
My understanding is that the official release/embargo drop is around 9AM eastern today, so we should see a lot more non-founder editions start to show up shortly.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
What I don't get is why nobody takes backorders for this stuff.

I don't care if it puts me in a queue until August or whatever, just knowing I have an order in place and I don't have to stalk Nowinstock or spam F5 whenever something shows up somewhere would be so much easier.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Subjunctive posted:

Backorders lock them into a price.

Then they can sell backorders for a higher price and let lazy suckers like me pay a premium to sit in a queue for a guaranteed product.

macnbc fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Jun 10, 2016

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

im 99% sure its a legal issue, at least in the US. They must have guaranteed preorders coming in in order to take money for preorders themselves. Sarbanes oxley etc etc. They (being any retailer) should of course love to take preorders in general

Nonsense, I see plenty of other products in other categories allow for backorders. If it's an issue of taking money you can always just charge at shipment like Amazon does.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Subjunctive posted:

People don't complain if they haven't been able to order

You clearly haven't looked at the people tweeting at EVGA this morning.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

fozzy fosbourne posted:

I have backorders at Amazon but if it makes you feel any better it's not that comforting to me because the reps are telling people random dates when they might be fulfilled, as far out to the end of July. One person talked to 5 different reps and got 5 different answers, for the same order, heh.

See, I'd actually prefer that. I'd like to just put an order down somewhere and know that someday, eventually, I'm going to get an email saying it's shipped and it'll just show up at my door. I'd find that way better than playing the "oh I have to keep an eye out for a listing at all times and then hope like hell I can get to it before someone else does" game for weeks on end now.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

ItBurns posted:

"I'll just put in a preorder and cancel if it comes in stock or is cheaper somewhere else." Meanwhile the retailer orders and then has to sit on rapidly depreciating goods that nobody actually planned on buying. The only reason you see pre-orders for VR or other Kickstarter items anymore is because they don't have any cash/are Ponzi schemes.

And yet there's been preorders available for every single console launch in recent years without this being an issue at all.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

track day bro! posted:

Ah cheers, is there a site that compares the prices for cards anywhere?

Could look at Nowinstock since it lists all the product listings side by side with pricing.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

sout posted:

So just to check, are all the currently-available 1070s considered Founders Editions?
I've heard the price £329 thrown around, but obviously none of the models which I can see online are at that price point, closer to £400.

Evga sold a couple non-founders on Friday but they sold out pretty much immediately. I think everything else is founders.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Chuu posted:

EVGA step-up program has one clause that scares me:

> Products known to have a limited availability will not be made available to the Step-Up program. (Limited availability determined by EVGA.)

There is a chance that 1080 stock is still pretty limited in 90 days.

I think that clause is more for limited edition or discontinued cards. EVGA staff on their forums said that the stock for sale and stock for step up are maintained separately, so step ups might be fulfilled while the site says out of stock, or the site might have cards for sale and no step ups available.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
So EVGA had some 1070 SCs available on their website.. they sold out in under 2 minutes.

I'm guessing the supply issues on these are going to last a while.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
So for people who've been through paper launches before, just how long does this poo poo last?

Like when should I reasonably expect to be able to get a 1070? July? August? November 2017?

EDIT: VVVVV- Today? Doubtful.

macnbc fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Jun 15, 2016

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Evil Fluffy posted:

I :f5:d the gently caress out of Newegg last night when I saw Gigabyte was going to launch their G1 1070s at midnight and managed to order one (hasn't shipped yet though :sigh:) so if you're really lucky you might get one at any time. Use the part tracker website and alerts if nothing else.

These things are selling so quick that even Nowinstock can't keep up. I have product alerts both through there and notifiers set up on EVGA's website.

I've had both trigger today and in both cases I clicked to go buy it the moment I got the notification, and they were already sold out. :sigh:

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

edit: Lol my "3 day" Newegg shipping, while indeed 3 days, is just regular rear end fedex home delivery. 3 day shipping service level from Fedex can only be "Express" even if in this case it would be express saver and hardly any different than ground. Regardless, I imagine no matter what shipping you ordered you will all be getting your G1 1070 on Saturday unless you're really far from CA

FedEx Home is the worst. I had a bunch of parts arriving from Newegg a couple weeks ago, and I was working from home that day. In the middle of the day I get a text notification saying that the package was not delivered because nobody was home to receive it. I look out my window and see the FedEx truck driving by. He never even got out of the drat truck.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
I finally managed to at least get a backorder in on an EVGA 1070 ACX3.0 off Amazon this morning. Dunno when I'm actually going to get it, but at least it takes some of the pressure off sniping listings on Newegg for the 2 minutes they show up.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
Definitely looks like the 1070s are having less stock issues than the 1080s. I also got in on the EVGA 1070 from Newegg while they were up and didn't even really rush to do it. (Then promptly canceled my Amazon order that had no shipment date available still.)

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Hubis posted:

Much like how Apple paper-launches the new iPhone model every other year

I strolled into a Verizon store last Fall and upgraded to an iPhone 6S on release day. No line. No fuss.

Not even close to this crap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

IndianaZoidberg posted:

Is it worth paying the extra for a 1080 or saving some cash and getting a 1070? My build is definitely overkill, but the thought with the 1080 over the 1070 is I won't have to worry about upgrades for a longer period of time. What do you think? (My other thought is just buy whichever card becomes available first.)

As the PC part picking thread likes to say, you can't future proof. If the 1080 is overkill for you now, get a 1070. You can always sell it and upgrade to something better in a year or two of need be.