Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dotcom656
Apr 7, 2007
I WILL TAKE BETTER PICTURES OF MY DRAWINGS BEFORE POSTING THEM
I just blew my wad on a catleap 2560x1440 and a MSI GTX 670. Here's to the incessant waiting of the next week!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dotcom656
Apr 7, 2007

movax posted:

Not sure what you're coming from, but 2560x1440 gaming is going to look balls-out awesome, especially with that 670. 2GB VRAM?

Coming from a 23" 1920x1080 display and a 6870 1GB.
And the 670 I bought is a 2GB card.

Getting too excited to even sleep tonight.

Dotcom656
Apr 7, 2007
Are the GTX 670's that rare now? I bought one on Friday from newegg and they had a few in stock. It arrives tomorrow so I'll be sure to post a trip report with the new 2560x1440 Catleap, which also arrives tomorrow (I missed DHL today)
Please don't fight me for it. I'm not a good fighter.

EDIT: Just checked newegg and they got 2 brands in. One of them being $399 and it has a slight factory overclock.

Dotcom656 fucked around with this message at 01:45 on May 17, 2012

Dotcom656
Apr 7, 2007

Aws posted:

Anybody having issues with the 12.4 Catalyst? On my HD 5870 I've noticed two things. First, my CCC settings are completely ignored by games that previously didn't ignore them. I have 33 games installed and I tested on a fair chunk of them, and none of them have the settings applied. Second, my shadows are hosed in every game. If they're not flickering all the time then they do this.

*snip*

Notice the striping. It's very visible on his face and neck. This isn't a lovely JPG; the BMP looks the same.

I've ruled out any hardware issues; everything runs as smoothly as it ever did, and I decided to Furmark while I was out for a few hours today. No issues.

I showed this post to a friend of mine who works with Nvidia on driver development and testing, just to see what he said.
The hashing pattern on the TW2 screenshot is dithering done on the shadow map by the game to approximate soft edges. As for the shadow flickering, that could be a number of things and a short example video would be better for him to see what might be happening.

But if you get the artifacting in more than just TW2 it might be bad VRAM, since that usually results in fixed pattern artifacting.

Dotcom656
Apr 7, 2007
Anyone else having hard locking issues in Metro 2033 with a GTX 670? I'm running 301.34 drivers, and about 30 seconds after starting the game (or rather 10 seconds after all splash screens end) the game just hard locks. Everything freezes and I cant move my mouse cursor. I can bring up task manager and end the process and that's about it.

EDIT: Just pulled up metro again (I didn't end the process this second time) and its working now. Not sure what that's all about.

EDIT 2: Restarted the game to apply some graphics changes and its still acting weird. Maybe it hates my extended desktop?

Dotcom656 fucked around with this message at 23:12 on May 19, 2012

Dotcom656
Apr 7, 2007
Does anyone else with a GTX 670 get terrible performance with diablo 3 at 2560x1440? I was thinking there was something wrong with my PC at first because Fraps wouldn't open at all. (It turns out you have to change your PC date to may 17th to make it work.)

But this coupled with Metro hard locking is making me wonder if something is broken on my end.

Dotcom656
Apr 7, 2007

Alereon posted:

What card do you have? That sounds like the issue the EVGA GTX 670 SuperClocked cards were recalled for. That's exactly what happens to me when I have the card overclocked too high.
Cool, thanks, I'll check it out.

MSI reference GTX670 with a slight factory overclock.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127675
That card for a specific link.

Dotcom656
Apr 7, 2007

Kinkajou posted:

So I'm thinking of buying a PC as a my main gaming/emulator/media center device and I really like the look and size of the Alienware x51. Only thing I'm worried about is the upgrade potential for the GPU in a year or two. With UE4 right around the corner, I don't want to lock myself out by buying now. I don't know a whole lot about GPU trends, but should we expect midsized/midtier versions of the 680 technology in the next year?

You can get a lot more bang for your buck by building your own PC,But to answer your question the GTX 660 should be here in the next 3 months, and that's the mainstream performance card.

Dotcom656
Apr 7, 2007
Last time I experienced that error was back when I had a AMD 4870 (2008-2010).
Then again my power supply at the time was weird as hell and only supplied 6 volts on the 12 volt rail and 3. something on the 5 volt rail. I have no idea how that system stayed stable for so long.

Dotcom656
Apr 7, 2007
So I got a private live demo of GRID and got to tool around with it. Pretty fun. Also Nvidia HQ really loves their green color. And the cafe food isn't bad either.

Dotcom656
Apr 7, 2007

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

Was nVidia supposed to announce something today? It almost feels like there was some sort of game of chicken to see whether AMD was going to release sensitive info after the past week. I hate everything. Also I'm another one of those cursed with playing games that are hobbled by one CPU or GPU limitation or another.

There is a big announcement today according to a friend within the company, but hes not giving up any info. Not sure when it's going to be. But it's definitely not just some holiday game bundle.

Dotcom656
Apr 7, 2007

Animal posted:

Heads up: there's been an NVIDIA Experience update. Shadowplay now records at 16:10 aspect ratio if that is what you play at. In other words, it is now ~perfect~

Does it record at 2560x1440 now? Or is 1920x1200 the max?

Dotcom656
Apr 7, 2007
Did anyone else get a EVGA queue email? Mine just came in for a 3080 FTW3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dotcom656
Apr 7, 2007

Alan Smithee posted:

when you hit that like and subscribe button

I was curious if there was a larger drop. I was pretty late to the queue relatively speaking so I wasn't expecting to get en email.