Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

I've been reading about the GTX 970 VRAM split issue. Pretty sure I still want to go with this card as it's right in my budget, but I want to make sure I'm not shooting myself in the foot.

This is going into a gaming system built with Steam in-home streaming as a consideration. I don't play any overly-taxing games, mostly Final Fantasy XIV and TF2, and some PS3/360-era games like Dark Souls. I don't know if the streaming adds any extra overhead onto the GPU, or if the CPU takes the brunt of that.

When could I expect to run into issues? I've heard that it really only happens on some newer games with maxed-out settings. I'm seeing quite a few people online going apeshit over it, but I feel like the problem is really overblown for what seems like an otherwise great GPU.

Also, does anyone have recommendations for graphics features I can lower/disable to avoid the bottleneck on the card? No idea if there's any recommended practice like "try lowering this feature first" or if it's just trial and error based on each game/application.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Thanks for the 970 info!

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

I use a 970 and play FFXIV primarily just like you and the only place I see low frame rates is when standing around Limsa with like a hundred other players on screen. Any actual situation where you would care about your frame rate like CT or coil runs just fine. It's paired with an i7 2600k overclocked to 4.5Ghz and 16GB of system ram.

This is nice and specific, I appreciate it. :) Are your settings maxed out?

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Is there a way to dynamically control GPU fan speed in Linux? Specifically it's for an RTX 4070 Super. I can manually set the fan speeds using the NVIDIA control panel, but I'd rather set an actual fan curve instead of just having it on jet engine mode during heavy load times.

I'll also check in the Linux thread for advice.