Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Time to upgrade my 1080ti to a 3080.

I contemplated the 3090 but I’m only running at 1440p monitor anyway.

Where the hell are the pre orders??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Rinkles posted:

3060 likely no earlier than next year, I'm guessing?

Yeah especially with the 3070 in October (probably late at that).

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Xenthalon posted:

Where are my reviews gosh darn it!?

1070 -> 3070 or 3080? Ugghhhhh. For the 3080 I have to rework my case and remove the hard drive cage. Then on the other hand, who needs 3.5" harddrives anymore.

Oh, anyone else excited about that new Microsoft direct disk I/O support from SSD directly to the GPU they announced? That's what they are doing for Xbox, sounded like it would come to PC as well.

Hell yes I’m excited about that no doubt. I’m curious about the hardware requirements though I have to assume just an Nvme SSD will do the trick?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

It’s my understanding that in the past you were better off not getting a reference card since the cooling was quite poo poo. This new system in theory should be changing that right?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

movax posted:

Part of me is curious about the DirectStorage thing, and how performance / compatibility works on it being on a chipset link vs. a CPU link. Shortest possible path is a CPU PCIe port so data should go disk-> on-chip fabric / bus -> GPU.

Yeah like I’m a bit out of the loop but how would this work on current hardware? It’s my understanding that certain things would need to be changed.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Ulio posted:

Ya works now, it's loading in English now as well.

Eh I have a Founders edition 2080ti literally never had cooling issues although I barely overclock.

Yeah I wouldn’t plan on over clocking tbh I would just rather not have a leaf blower (it sounds like it’s pretty quiet I guess?).

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

movax posted:

My suspicion is "poorly" because the following stars all have to align:

* CPU
* BIOS
* GPU
* SSD
* OS
* Filesystem (probably?)
* NVMe Driver
* Physically placing the SSD on the right PCIe lanes

PS5 / Xbox Series X only have one configuration to test / get right, so... lot easier there.

Countdown until Ampere successor also has on-die HW decompression support?

Yeah that was my thinking. It’s probably a little ways off TBH. I guess if they have the GPU on board the MB manufacturers will also jump on it.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Incessant Excess posted:

Fitting that the thread would reach 2077 pages today.

Which is the reason I want the 3080!

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Rookoo posted:

Sitting with a gtx 1080 on 1440p and it's serving me fine for now but these new cards look pretty enticing. I'm in the UK so god knows what the availability/price of will translate to.

Yeah I have a 1080ti on 1440p and while it still handles everything pretty well (gently caress you COD) that raytracing....

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Kraftwerk posted:

I don’t really know how to do this so I’m SOL.

Honestly I think for the average person it’s not going to be an issue.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Mikojan posted:

Wait aren’t these FE coolers usually trash?

Would it not be wise to atleast wait for acoustic benches?

I mean on one hand probably.

On the other hand scalpers and limited availability.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Also it’s my understanding from all the leaks that Nvidia has put a considerable amount of effort into this cooling solution. They want to get away from the “it’s poo poo” past.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

CapnAndy posted:

So if I was looking to build/buy a new computer already -- and to be clear, I was -- I just wait for the 3080 to come out now, right? Or do I hold out for the 3070 to save a bit of money?

I guess it depends on your budget and monitor IMO.

The 3080 isn’t a huge cost increase when you look at the total cost of the build and it should in theory last you longer.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Shogunner posted:

So a 3080 is probably fine for at least 60FPS 1440p gaming right? I was really keen on getting this monitor since I have a $100 coupon. https://www.dell.com/en-us/member/shop/dell-32-curved-gaming-monitor-s3220dgf/apd/210-atyt/monitors-monitor-accessories

1000%.

I have a 1080ti and I can 60fps almost everything on max settings.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

DF look at the 3080

https://youtu.be/cWD01yUQdVA

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I kinda feel like a high refresh rate 1440p is better vs a 4K 60hz for the long term.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Let me preorder already!

Take my drat money.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Statutory Ape posted:

The reference cards look futuristic and cool as all dang heck man. They really did a sick job of making those look exciting

I kinda agree with you. It looks sleek as hell.

gently caress off with all them LEDs drat yo.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Enos Cabell posted:

D3 rules, keep in mind that for most of the thread regulars in here their closest contact to games is Timespy.

This is a quality joke and I want you to know I appreciate it.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Craptacular! posted:

The animated RGB thing is a web overlay. Here it is with all the lights off:

The cooling solution is so bad the card is melting.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Josh Lyman posted:

0.27 is gonna be optimistic for me in Fortnite

Ouch man... same but COD.

Or the same image but you only play phone games in bluestacks (thanks Eve echoes).

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

BurritoJustice posted:

Holy poo poo r/amd is melting to the ground right now.

Check this genius maths

2080=1080=R7?

Confusing 30% less versus 50% more? Stretching a 5700xt to a 3090 somehow?

I legit need a flow chart or something for this because my eyes started to cross mid way in.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

8-bit Miniboss posted:

I at least look forward to GamersNexus reviews. Steven was maybe the one techtuber that asked the question of how hosed will your CPU cooling get skewed from the reference cooling design. Everyone else uses open air test rigs too much.

Yeah I’ve been watching more and more GN and they are pretty alright.

He moves his hair too much though.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

shrike82 posted:

*hair toss*

:argh:

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

First of May posted:

Maybe it doesn't scale well, so at 4K the 3080 and 3090 perform about the same, while the 3090 can keep pushing frames at 8K because of all the extra RAM. Just have to wait for better benchmarks, I guess.

This would make sense.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

chaleski posted:

I'm just curious if a 3080 will be overkill for 1440p/144hz, although I'll justify it as future-proofing if it is (I know future-proofing is a bad idea)

exquisite tea posted:

If the performance improvements over Turing are accurate then 1440p/144hz will probably be the sweet spot for actually hitting up against the maximum refresh rates of your monitor, as RN a 2080 with all RTX on high and DLSS 2.0 can only hit about 60fps in a game like Control even under the best of circumstances.

Yeah was gonna say this. Also the 3080 will keep you well above 60fps with everything maxed at 1440p for a much longer time vs trying to run it at 4k.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

cheesetriangles posted:

I feel like even if RDNA 2 has a chip faster than 3080 at a similar price I would go 3080 no questions just because of the software.

I was going to bring this up. Its a little lame but that camera software they demo'd was actually really cool. I liked the face tracking and background stuff.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

gradenko_2000 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qblSdDZMmi0

holy poo poo

forget loving gaming, I'm gonna get Ampere for productivity

Yeah its actually kinda cool TBH. I like the blur and the game overlay. The cheesy backgrounds are lame.

I'm curious how well that noise canceling actually works though because it seems pretty drat good from that video.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

It makes total sense. I mean, how many times have you been trying to game, only to hear your wife noisily vacuuming the house, or running the dishwasher, or using the washing machine? Finally there's the noise cancellation option for the serious PC enthusiast.

On a serious note though even people just using discord while they have the TV should help cut down background noise if it actually works like they say.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

gradenko_2000 posted:

This is what RTX Voice is capable of right now, from when it was released in April

https://twitter.com/Barnacules/status/1252893926979022851

I live in a studio-type unit with my wife so this is no joke entirely relevant to my situation

That is actually pretty impressive.

I have a dedicated sound card though. I'm gonna have to investigate how this works.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

AirRaid posted:

There are already several implementations of this in the wild. Discord has Krisp and it works pretty loving well. It’s not perfect and sometimes it can butcher the sound quality of your voice but it’s pretty drat good.

Ah well a poo poo load of people deffo don't use it because lol at the poo poo the mic picks up.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Mr. Neutron posted:

I have an i5-8600K, is it going to limit the 3080 substantially? My target is mostly 4k60 or 1440p144 (but mostly the former).

Probably not. Once you get above 1080p the GPU is the major factor there.

IMO you'd be fine for a good while.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

Some people have said "well these Nvidia benchmarks include DLSS" but everyone should hope DLSS 2.0 becomes more widespread everywhere as it's 30-40% more performance for basically nothing. Fortnite getting it is a good sign that it may became an integrated feature for Unreal Engine, which about a bazillion games use.

Yeah DLSS is pretty cool and good from what I've seen of it.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

KingKapalone posted:

Any more info on the need for PCIe 4.0 yet? Watched a video from HWUnboxed a few pages back and it sounds like it might only be needed for 4K? I got a B450 + 3600 last year and plan to get a 3080 so don't want to upgrade.

I'm hoping to see more info about PSU requirements too since I also got a new Supersonic G3 550W PSU last year. Needing to upgrade that would be annoying since PSUs have gone up in price and are selling out.

I mean its more for future proofing at this point. If you get the 3080 its going to last you long enough to where when you do upgrade 4.0 might actually mean something but that is a good few years (probably 3 at least) away.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I upgraded my TV last year to one with HDR 4K blah blah blah and I just ended up buying all new HDMI cables because I had no way to tell which ones of the current 200 I had that would actually work with all that.

What I’m sayin is HDMI cables suck when it comes to labeling.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I mean my 1080Ti is perfectly fine but still I wanted the new card lol

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

shrike82 posted:

i think it's more an indication of how limited launch quantities are going to be if they don't think allowing preorders makes sense

I guess I don't understand why they wouldn't just backorder it kinda how apple does with their launches.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

gradenko_2000 posted:

so that RTX IO thing that they're plugging - it allows game data (if the game is written to support it using the proper API) to be read directly by/into the GPU with less (or no?) CPU overhead, which is kinda similar to the thing that next-gen consoles were supposed to have been bragging about...

... but it's only RTX cards that support it/are capable of it? at least that we know of?

No one actually knows.

It’s a bit vague.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Shogunner posted:

Will 10th Gen Intel be a good pairing for the 3080? I wanna wait for Rocket Lake, but I might have to give this work PC up sooner than later.

I was thinking of getting the i7 10700K and a Z490 mobo if I do end up having to buy ASAP. Highest single core performance/easy overclocking for under $500 is what I'm after, so I think Ryzen isn't in the picture for me.

Pretty much any current gen mid range or higher processor will be perfectly fine for 1440p and up gaming.

You really don’t need to overthink it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Stickman posted:

Always wait for independent reviews if you value your money.

I don't so :homebrew: