Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eggyolk
Nov 8, 2007

PerrineClostermann posted:

1070 is arriving today. I decided I wanted one, checked nowinstock, saw the EVGA SC was available, and ordered it. Entire time spent waiting to order: around 3 minutes.

Wow. Don't go to nowinstock dot com. Make sure it's dot net.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eggyolk
Nov 8, 2007

My 970 is getting trounced by Project Cars with Vive VR. Everything is at the lowest setting but whenever I join a race with more than 3 cars the framerate drops below 90 and I get that terrible stuttering. I'm convinced that I'll have to replace it with a 1080 to actually enjoy higher settings and smooth frame rates. Every other game runs fine, but then again every other VR game looks like rear end.

eggyolk
Nov 8, 2007

Any word on the mini GTX 1070?

eggyolk
Nov 8, 2007

Are there any GTX 1080's that are shorter than 10.5" (267mm)?

It seems like there are a few 9.5" 1070's, and of course the mini-ITX 6.5" 1070.

A 9.5" 1080 wouldn't be unreasonable I'd think. My case (Rosewill U3-B) takes 260mm max and I'm hesitant to try to stretch in those last 7 mm.

eggyolk
Nov 8, 2007

The HTC Vive has been obliterating my GTX 970 so I caved and bought an Asus "DUAL" GTX 1070. Here's hoping for some big improvements in Project Cars. I don't even game on my computer monitor anymore because of VR and it's made all the tech out there feel obsolete, including the drat VR headset itself.

eggyolk
Nov 8, 2007

Snapped up one of those MSI Armor 1080Ti's. Thanks for the heads up.

The 1070 just isn't fast enough to maintain 90fps in most VR games which results in a lot of sick friends not wanting to play, so the extra head room should help a lot.

eggyolk
Nov 8, 2007

Last year I bought a 1080ti to power my HTC Vive racing wheel setup. Got a few months of fun out of it, but when my Masters program started again I decided my grades would be better off if I liquidated. Wound up craigslisting the Vive for $700, and the 1080ti right after for $600. (It was the constantly-throttling MSI Armor edition). All this right before the crazy bitcoin bubble. Now my PC doesn't have a videocard at all, and probably wont until graduation in May when the market (hopefully) cools off.

Feels good to sit out all this craziness.

eggyolk
Nov 8, 2007

VR racing was cool until the initial wow factor wore off. Then you realize just how much time you spend staring at that center cluster of pixels in the headset trying to gauge where the upcoming apex is.

And even with a 1080ti your framerate gets slaughtered at decent visual settings. (Project Cars)

eggyolk
Nov 8, 2007

I had a 1080ti Armor and it was impressively bad.

eggyolk
Nov 8, 2007

My hope for the next gen (or non-inflated prices) finally cracked and I ordered a used Ebay GTX 1070 for $395. Boy howdy I hope I don't regret it.

eggyolk
Nov 8, 2007

That Ebay GTX1070 wound up being a scam unfortunately.

eggyolk
Nov 8, 2007

Got a partial refund.

Ebay seller person posted:

Thank you for contacting us. I am sorry to hear of this issue. This item was a item that we purchased brand new factory sealed and a buyer purchased the item, then the same day it was delivered opened a return request stating they "changed my mind". Once the item was returned to us we inspected it and relisted it. This sticker matched the 8gb reference so we do not think anything of it. I am guessing our buyer purchased this to replace their old model and cheated us.

So uh, thanks Ebay for the $150 1060?

eggyolk
Nov 8, 2007

A not insignificant portion of my brain is still bound by an intense desire to own a Geforce 6800 Ultra and it kind of makes me sad.

eggyolk
Nov 8, 2007

Look at these benchmarks though, holy poo poo.

eggyolk
Nov 8, 2007

No Nvidia this is the wrong direction for us ITX compact PC builders.

eggyolk
Nov 8, 2007

Please let there be a sub 170mm long RTX 3070 oh please oh please :pray:

eggyolk
Nov 8, 2007

Is there an equivalent DLSS feature in photo editing where you can do some "Enhance... enhance.... enhance..." poo poo like they do in movies when they catch the bad guys face in the reflection of something at the back of a grainy security camera feed?

eggyolk
Nov 8, 2007

Just give up at this point. Every card from now on is going to be used to convert coal into golden calves. So glad I grabbed an RTX 2060 before the global Ponzi gambling cult went critical.

Maybe in 3 years they'll have a sub 168mm RTX 4060 that I can be shoehorned into this stupidly impractical case.

eggyolk
Nov 8, 2007

jisforjosh posted:

No single raindrop believes it's responsible for the flood or some philosophical bullshit

Bitcoin just simply isn't a scalable solution for a global economy because of the sheer amount of processing power required for transactions and how that increases as adoption increases.

Currently a single bitcoin transaction (not mining) has a carbon foot print of roughly 309 kg of CO2 (equivalent to about 680,000+ VISA transactions) and takes about 650 kWhrs

It's like divine poetry from heaven, or some balance of the universe poo poo, that while we are trying to fight climate change there is a simultaneous movement to make the global economy shift to consuming incomprehensibly more energy. All so people can hoard GPU's to gamble and money launder. It's loving bonkers.

But did you hear about the family that drove down to the lake that one time?

eggyolk
Nov 8, 2007

You have to wonder if it's possible for a videocard to be hardware locked from mining Ponzi coins.

Then you also have to wonder if it would make sense to do so (If it's even possible) in a Capitalist system.

eggyolk
Nov 8, 2007

Really you could make any arbitrary task "mine coins", so why not make a rubber fist that miners have to repeatedly ram into their bodies to generate income?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eggyolk
Nov 8, 2007

Can someone link to the dedicated mining thread? Didn't see it in SH/SC.

MSRP is basically the "gaming" card price, and Ebay is basically the "mining" card price, so it makes sense for the firmware limited cards to actually drop closer to MSRP as the supply chain shock settles. That would be a really nice outcome from throttling "gaming" cards mining abilities.

Surely that would bring some sanity back into the system. The situation is beyond hosed and seems to be worsening in proportion to the coin bubble.