Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vir
Dec 14, 2007

Does it tickle when your Body Thetans flap their wings, eh Beatrice?
I wouldn't be surprised if hybrid models come out which might fit in two slots. They will cost even more than the standard designs though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vir
Dec 14, 2007

DrDork posted:

If you're a kid with a $400 budget and you want to get into ML, you go rent time on a cluster like Google or Amazon.
The cheapest pay-as-you-go provider might be a site like vast.ai, but then you're trusting your data and uptime to some random person in Taiwan or Canada - and you have to watch that the instance you're renting has enough fast storage and bandwidth if you're working on large datasets.

Vir
Dec 14, 2007

Folding at Home is a quite different workload, in that it uses just a couple of GB of RAM at worst, and almost no GPU NVRAM or disk. But it does favor having a fast CPU to run the GPU. So the TFLOPS or DLPERF numbers don't matter as much to the output as GPU cores and CPU speed.

Vir fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Aug 26, 2020

Vir
Dec 14, 2007

In Linux, you might need the "server" variant of the Nvidia drivers to run a multi-GPU machine. At the moment, the regular drivers are at version 440.100 while the server variant is at version 440.95. There are a few cards which have two GPUs on the same PCIe card, and I don't know if those work.

Vir
Dec 14, 2007

shrike82 posted:

I’m using the “standard” drivers for a dual RTX Titan (one connected via eGPU) setup in Ubuntu...

When I installed both a GTX 1660 Super and an RTX 2070 in the same machine (both PCIe), neither would work until I replaced the regular with the the server driver, but perhaps I could have removed and re-installed the regular drivers instead? Might try that later, but I'm not missing any features and the display works with the server driver too.

Vir
Dec 14, 2007

I wonder if the new Avatar movies will bring a renewed push for 3D monitors, and the implication that might have for graphics cards bandwidths. No-glasses 3D is a thing, I guess, but all you have to put in a monitor to make it 3D ready is a polarization filter, right? The rest is software. James Cameron is a bit of a techno geek, so he apparently forced Disney to put both types of HDR (Dolby Vision and HDR10+) on the Alita 4K Blu-ray. But 3D seemed to be rejected by the market last time, and at the moment you can barely find 3D screens for sale - only projectors

Vir
Dec 14, 2007

We sometimes get SKUs which are unique to a particular retailer. That is always fun when they offer a price-match.

Vir
Dec 14, 2007

210% experience. That's enough experience for two users.

(At least the vertical axis starts at 0 - that's unusual for marketing graphs.)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Vir
Dec 14, 2007

The Folding At Home project is discussing parallelizing their GPU computations, because the halo products in the next generation of GPUs might have too many compute cores to use effectively. In other words, most of the molecules they're studying are small enough that you don't really need the full GPU for the calculation, so they would be more efficient by segmenting the GPU into a number of independent units.

Vir
Dec 14, 2007

DrDork posted:

--I don't think they ever released RTX Titan sales figures, but I know they haven't been as popular as they could have been. Though the 3-slot design does complicate that as a market, so who knows.
A compute version might still be 2-slot. GPU servers push through a lot of air with noisy fans, so if you want a drop-in replacement at the same density you can just increase fan speed from 10000 RPM to escape velocity liftoff.

Vir
Dec 14, 2007

The X-axis in the graph went to $1400 though.

Vir
Dec 14, 2007

Vir
Dec 14, 2007

Carecat posted:

There's no way anyone has cards yet
According to some rumors, reviewers have cards but no drivers yet.

Vir
Dec 14, 2007

Oven reveal

Vir
Dec 14, 2007

Craptacular! posted:

Something similar is already happening in Linux-land with NetGPU and should be Nvidia compatible, though development is being led by Facebook so who knows if it'll have any gaming purpose.
Facebook owns Oculus, which is why soon you'll need to sign in to a Facebook account to use the full functionality of your Oculus VR headset.

shrike82 posted:

the dumbest thing about the 3950X is getting a 16C CPU with only 24 lanes
Use an EPYC as a desktop, no chipset required - the motherboard is just power delivery and passive slots for RAM and 128 PCIe devices. :v:

Vir
Dec 14, 2007

Lockback posted:

Giving away Geforce Now with purchase is pretty funny.
Mine Curecoin on your 3090; play Cyberpunk on your MacBook.

Vir
Dec 14, 2007

Rolo posted:

Plus I MAY end up with a cpu water cooler. They look like they’ve come a LONG way since my previous pc built in like 2003.
There are even special motherboards now with built-in water blocks for the CPU, voltage regulators and chipset. Check out the water cooling thread.

Personally I might go for the EVGA 3080 Hybrid - since I have room for a 240 mm radiator in the existing case.

Vir
Dec 14, 2007

th3t00t posted:

Does nvidia sell anything themselves on their website or is it all partners?
I'm guessing it's just partners. NVidia is a company that designs hardware and software; they don't make their own silicon, coolers or PCBs. I think Samsung, Coolermaster and Foxconn(?) make the actual cards. The regional NVidia stores might just be local distributors, like how traditional car importing works.

Vir
Dec 14, 2007

Combat Pretzel posted:

British standard time? What sort of moon timezone is that?
It's same as UTC in winter, but in the summer they switch to British Summer Time.

2PM BST Noon at the Cape Verde Islands, midnight in the Salomon Islands. These timezones are among the most sparsely populated timezones in the world. Even the half-hour time zones have more people living in them.

Vir
Dec 14, 2007

Enos Cabell posted:

What lunacy is this?
AMD Tehran with Thicc Navi, the APU that takes up the mantle after AMD Cape Verde with Radeon.

Vir
Dec 14, 2007

repiv posted:

Yeah the 3090 has 82 SMs enabled but the die shots show 84 SMs
While it does suggest that they might bin dies with the full 84, some silicon designs are purposely made with more elements than can be supported by the power delivery, and even flawless dies get binned with some elements disabled, improving overall yields at the cost of less dies per wafer.

Vir
Dec 14, 2007

It would be kind of funny if they make it work in WINE/Proton. Then I can have one regular NVMe PCIe gen 3 drive for the Linux OS, and one Gen 4 drive formatted for Windows with the textures on it. How soon can we plug the SSD into the GPU directly?

Vir
Dec 14, 2007

Unless each pixel emits only one photon per frame, the FPS isn't high enough.

Cancelbot posted:

therefore nothing will go wrong :v:
If you're still within warranty on the PSU, that is. Wouldn't want the PSU to destroy your PC without a warranty to fall back on.

Vir
Dec 14, 2007

The PSU might still keep running for 20 years, but risking a whole new PC and GPU just isn't worth it.

Turn your old PC into a protein folding space heater with some cheap second hand GPUs; we have a goon team. That is, unless literal :catdrugs: makes the exercise unnecessary.

Vir
Dec 14, 2007

The launch video was pretty well done compared to something like Intel's latest one, but if it turns out that they have yield problems, then this is paper launch^2. Starts feeling like reading the Game of Thrones S8 leaks and not believing that they were true.

TerminalSaint posted:

Amusing enough, lens flare was something cinematographers bent over backwards to avoid for years, but has since become shorthand for "the sun is very hot today" or even just a straight up stylistic choice.

Vir
Dec 14, 2007

GN commenting on these data: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Y7QhFx6VmI

Vir
Dec 14, 2007

So you can get much better performance per watt by power-limiting the card. The problem with that is that you're leaving some performance on the table; performance you paid for.

Vir
Dec 14, 2007

There's been a mad rush to buy PC hardware and peripherals since the pandemic started, since every office worker and kid needed a 2080Ti to do their Zoom calls and homework or something. :v:
Amazon had to prioritize delivering food, medicine and other essentials, so physical stores were often the best choice to get hardware in a reasonable time.

Vir
Dec 14, 2007

^^ Buy Pascal or Turing instead. More heat output per frame. (Higher is better.)

totalnewbie posted:

No no, they're going to hold on to all the stock until the holiday rush is over so everyone can focus on buying these cards without being distracted by other stuff.

I know you're joking, but some stores are bound to keep at least one card in stock even if they're "sold out" just so they can advertise it for Black Friday. If they were in the crypto market, they would even open up the box and mine on it until Black Friday - but I don't think we've reached that level of stupidity yet.

Vir
Dec 14, 2007

If the cards were bad at mining, but great at general ML and molecular dynamics (Folding at Home), that would be a nice sweet spot.

We have district heating and heat pumps here, and pay for electricity, so waste heat is not a benefit for me at home. Might put a an e-waste based folding rig in the cabin to keep it from freezing in winter though.

Vir
Dec 14, 2007

Kyle kind of makes me want to put a 3080 in my 3600 system, but realistically I should make do with the 1660 Super.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VL4rGGYuzms

Vir
Dec 14, 2007

gradenko_2000 posted:

There's something very funny about Steam selling 3DMark. I guess they know that for some people, it's the only game they really play.
Well, that and Japanese crime mystery visual novels (refer to avatar). Got see that text scroll in 8K 60 FPS.

Vir
Dec 14, 2007

The 3080 (at least the FE) will be supported by Folding at Home at launch. The developers got the required information from Nvidia, but they won't enable the card until after the cards go on sale: https://foldingforum.org/viewtopic.php?p=342723#p342723

I suspect that it won't be an outstanding folding card at first, since even 2080 cards are under-utilized at the moment. But the developers are looking at ways to better utilize these large cards. Maybe they'll just add some bigger proteins to study.

Vir
Dec 14, 2007

The shopping cart on the Nvidia website here in Norway also seems to be having problems. I was able to add a 2000 series card to cart yesterday, but today all the buy buttons refer to partner websites, and I can't even put an NVlink bridge in the cart.

Vir
Dec 14, 2007

Shipon posted:

i'm pretty sure if anything this is like Supreme or whatever where the scarcity only boosts demand and people accept the problems as "well everyone wants it so badly their servers are being hammered so i must get my hands on it"

Kind of like Black Friday sales. "Get a 50 inch flat-screen TV for only $100.......... each store has only one each."

Vir
Dec 14, 2007

Arvid posted:

Got my 3080 here in Norway, sale started 6 minutes before the countdown stopped LOL

Komplett?

Vir
Dec 14, 2007

Ah, OK. Two of the AIB models are still in stock there. The rest of the AIB models are expected to be back in stock around September 30th. I was trying to see if the FE was available, but Nvidia.com never showed a buy button in Norway.

Vir
Dec 14, 2007

Ersatz posted:

Same in the US. Lol?

Hang on a minute. Komplett's stock levels of the AIB cards are actually increasing now. Wonder if someone ordered all of them and now are cancelling duplicate orders, or if stock is being added as we speak. :norway:

Vir
Dec 14, 2007

Drone posted:

Oh poo poo it popped up as in stock on Caseking for a split second and now 502 Bad Gateway again.

Nvidia.com also:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vir
Dec 14, 2007

Amazingly, AIB cards are still in stock at Komplett. The Zotac one is presumably a reference board of the Palit/Gainward persuasion, and it's at the same MSRP as the FE :norway: