Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
What an awesome thread. I really enjoy reading about the development of GPU architecture for some reason, even though I don't understand half of the more detailed tech jargon. I think it's the same reason some people get so obsessed with having the best hardware possible, it's just that reading about advances in graphics technology (and then literally buying into it by purchasing the latest GPU) can make you feel like you're riding the cutting edge of what computers can do.
Anyway, I'm looking forward to the next generation of consoles so that more games can utilise cool stuff in DX11.1 (hell, even DX10/11 would be good). Stuff like tesselation can make a huge difference but is just not going to be widely implemented until the consoles catch up, it seems.

Speaking of which, is there any news out there about what the Next Big Thing in terms of DirectX is going to be? A few years back it was geometry shaders, now tesselation...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

Berk Berkly posted:

Hardcore engines like Unreal 4 is a driving factor of things like the Kepler hardware and future iterations. Just look at it.

http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2012/05/ff_unreal4/all/1?pid=2552

Fun article. I agree the screenshots aren't as impressive as you might hope, but it seems a vast amount of what makes the Unreal engines look great now are the effects in motion, particles, lighting etc.

The Nvidia 680 really seems like a beast though. Impressive stuff!

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
So this is intensely annoying - Catalyst Control Centre won't open. I click, get an hourglass cursor for a sec, then nothing.
Seems like a fairly common problem, but I haven't found any working solution. Any advice??

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Been looking around the forums but no help. Anyone know of a decent monitoring/fan control software for 8800GTX these days? Used to use rivatuner but that can't handle new drivers it seems.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
This gets asked a lot I know but is there and conventional wisdom on how the overall price trajectory of these last-gen cards will go in the next few months? Are we expecting to see more and more vendors (including ones here in the UK) dropping prices?

Ditto gtx 1080, I presume the ~£650 price point is what we're pretty much stuck with (besides unforseen fluctuations e.g. currency) at least until the next gen comes out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Looking to get a new GPU for VR. Any recommendations on 1080s and 1070s? I know next to nothing about this stuff anymore, except I think EVGA is still meant to be decent? I'm leaning towards 1080 given with VR it may give an appreciable QoL difference in pretty much everything because of supersampling.