Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

I had that issue very frequently with an EVGA GTX260. Probably twice a week at least, and I assumed I'd just wait until the card died and buy something else. It never died but after buying a 560 Ti last November I haven't had it again. I have had another similar problem where video will make the screen pink and either recover or not, but that went away with the latest driver.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

It's difficult to buy a GPU at a time when you couldn't get a more powerful card for a similar price 4-5 months later. If you only upgraded for the hell of it then this would've been a nicer score but the 7850 owns.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Zotix posted:

Okay I'm posting in this thread too. I posted earlier in the hardware upgrade thread since at a quick glance I didn't notice this thread(was on my phone at the time). Here is my issue. My 580 GTX that I bought last October seems to be running like poo poo. Today I confirmed it. I'm not sure how long it's been going on, but I've had a sneaking suspicion for a while now that it's not running up to par. Today during the guild wars 2 stress test, my frame rates were lower than my friend running a 550 Ti. We both have the same processor, which is an Intel i5 3570k(his is stock, mine is OC'd to 4.3ghz). He has 4gb of ram, I have 16gb. I see no way that his rig should be running more frames than mine is, but it is. My idle temperature for my 580 GTX is at around 73 degrees. My room is roughly at the same temperature, and it doesn't seem to make a difference. While my GPU is at 73 degrees, my processor idle is around 35 degrees. Under load, my 580 GTX gets around 89 degrees or so. What really threw me off about my performance is that I ran MSI's Kombustor program with default 1920x1080 settings and my performance was DRASTICALLY worse than someone with a very similar system.

Here are two pictures of what I'm talking about.
Mine: http://www.ozone3d.net/msi_kombustor/score_200.php?id=75565
Random guys: http://www.ozone3d.net/msi_kombustor/score_200.php?id=49702

As you can see, my scores are 40% or so lower than his. This is with my CPU OC'd to 4.3ghz. Even if his Sandy Bridge i7 is OC'd as well, that shouldn't account for a 40% performance difference. There has to be something wrong with my card, right? I'm not sure if it's the heating issue, or if there is something else wrong with the card completely. Should I RMA it? What would be the next step?

Edit: I just threw my old 260 GTX in, and idle I'm at 54 degrees. Almost 20 degrees lower than the 580 GTX at idle.

Make sure your card doesn't have gunk in the fan. Try using a more aggressive custom fan profile in Afterburner. If that fails, how's your warranty?

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Zotix posted:

I have adjusted the fan. 75 helps at idle. Only 100 helps the temp at full load. Performance seems to be sub par still.

There isn't a lot you can do aside from trying different drivers or getting a replacement.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

The SSAA is probably very harsh on a 660Ti.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

The Lord Bude posted:

A full makeover is outside my budget, so I'll wait till July. My computer will be 3 years old then, so I can go back to my original plan of replacing my PC entirely every 3 years.

I do want to try and overclock my cpu to see if it makes any difference in benchmarks though. I've downloaded uniengine heaven, and I'll get cracking in the morning. I've never overclocked a cpu before, so I'll need to do some reading up first.

If we were to say that you had a momentary lapse in sanity about the GPU thing and you might be okay with waiting nearly a full year, you'll be able to grab an LGA 1150 motherboard by the time you build a new system and it will make you feel pretty bad for ever owning that AMD processor. Ivy Bridge would too but :shrug:

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Glen Goobersmooches posted:

Also, 144Hz? What monitor is this? If you've got a 120Hz you should basically never need vsync ever, unless you're playing ancient games without some kind of frame limiter on the high end.

Probably the ASUS VG278HE. I'm not sure if any others are being marketed yet.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

I wonder if that benchmark number has to do with PCI-E bandwidth issues using both a 780 and 580 on a 2500k-equipped motherboard. But I'm not sure whether or not it would make a difference just telling the 580 not to do anything. (Versus not having it in there)

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Drythe posted:

I just bought the Asus 770 and can only tune the voltage up to 1.212, however the card is still being a beast for whatever I use it for. I'm using my old 560 as a dedicated Physx card, I dunno if I should keep it that way or not.

When the 600 series was still crescent-fresh, someone here mentioned the vanilla 560 being the minimum for a worthwhile dedicated PhysX card. I'm not sure if that has changed by now but if anything seems fishy you can always do some testing.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

He's just saying they've been doing that for a decade. The Radeon 9700 is much older than the HD6950. Maybe I'm misunderstanding you though.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Been looking for a 30ft hose for ages. Cheers

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Truga posted:

I've had 4 blue screens just in the last 3-4 weeks playing FF14 with latest nvidia drivers

I have a lot of experience with this. It's most likely your case fans causing the problem

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

From what I can tell MSI Gaming 1070s are capped at a 126% power target in the default BIOS. Is that about the highest available for the 1070?

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

craig588 posted:

The absolute number is arbitrary. One card's 100 could be higher than another's 200. Last I looked EVGA had the highest with the FTW. We're stuck right now because of the new protection on NVflash not allowing any unsigned bioses. Asus has a signed "modded" bios floating around, but it also relaxes timings a bunch to put up big clock speed numbers, but the timings are so relaxed that you're better off with a lower drawing more properly configured bios.

Thanks for explaining that.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

The gimmick doesn't resonate with the whole family but it draws their substantial handheld userbase into at least taking a look at the traditional console market and is pretty clearly going to destroy all but their greatest successes in sales. The price is the only thing standing in the way and if they sell a version for $199 or $249 then it will work. honk honk

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Put some 6800 rpm deltas in that sucker

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

A video card with a heatsink and two fans on it, but one of them doesn't work a lot of the time, to really carry the load in many of the hit 2D and 3D games. Let's get going

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

How much do PSUs age in replacement terms if they've never been used? No wear or dust or anything. Do you count it about the same, a lot less, or something else?

oops, this was the GPU thread huh?

Cavauro fucked around with this message at 00:43 on May 17, 2018

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

That happened to my MSI card and I ordered a couple of new fans. You should be able to find some identifying marks on the fans themselves if you've already done things like taking them out of the shroud and stuff, so going with that and making sure you know how many pins they use, I'm assuming you could do that

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Wait for the special 9gb 2060 X-Ti

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

680s only shipped with 2GB VRAM too, right? That's very rough for a game like Exodus. I didn't think about 1050s having the same amount so this is a pointless post. take this for steam. Q7KT8-3CN*T-83ZHV - the asterisk is a D. I'm really sorry for posting in here. Whoop my rear end

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Consoles do and will continue to shape the release of all PC games for the foreseeable future regardless of hardware power differential. If anyone is obsessed with any hardware features they should pray that those features are included in the next PlayStation and Xbox, or you are looking at a handful of games providing middling support.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

What was the first GPU to fully saturate and lose any performance on PCI-E 2.0?

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

I am very happy that you've told me.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Installing the drivers is extremely straightforward. That poster who works in rendering probably just doesn't want any bloat and doesn't happen to know what GeForce Experience is

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

I will accept your 2080 for free

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

it's a bomb

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

That wccftech guy said the supers would cost more

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Nothing's probably going to come out before Cyberpunk, right? I'll probably be going from a 970 to something that's out now if that's the case but hopefully I can snipe a good deal in the next eight months. Thank you for being my friend.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Actually, gold has a lower hardness than copper so it's easier for electricity to flow through it.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Sorry for my post

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

If I were trying to make that sound good I would go with simple instead of cool

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

I'm sorry. It actually was cool, in the end.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Have you checked 'unlock voltage control' and monitoring in the settings menu? It should be a gear icon. Unless my version of afterburner is outdated. I guess you already said that you did this and I should have read the post properly. I don't know, friend

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Might not be placebo but an early sign of an issue with a data drive or just a bloated system. Definitely not an inherent hardware acceleration problem though

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

I love having a GPU. Some fans, heatsink stuff. a backplate. It's a little longer than my last one, but not much, and it has three fans when the last one had two. Now this is the right hobby for Bobby! (my name during this post)

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

it's nothing special and a pain in the rear end to go out on but i really like maintaining my boat and sitting on it sometimes.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i'm the third :shrug: boy. Now that we're all here, get ready to find out about some seriously powerful GPUs coming up in the next nine months!

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

I trust the mush-mouth YouTube man, as he's been kind to me in the past

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Wistful of Dollars posted:

What's the over/under on AMD coming up with something that actually competes with the future 3080?