Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaewan
May 29, 2008
I was having a similar ongoing issue, turned out my graphics drivers were corrupt. It wasn’t enough to just reinstall them, I had to purge them with Display Driver Uninstaller in safe mode. Went from hourly reboots to smooth sailing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaewan
May 29, 2008
I had issues with colourful artifacting in Forza Horizon 5 when I was just barely going over the vram limit. Lowering MSAA by 1 notch fixed it.

Kaewan
May 29, 2008

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

I've been getting weird graphical artifacts on my 3070 Ti, though only in Forza Horizon 5 so far. In this screenshot, much of the road is incorrectly darkened and there is some weird color effect in front of the car:

I installed an older driver that seemed to fix it but ran into other similar issues soon after. Other FH5 users don't seem to have this problem so I guess my video card is not doing well, right? Is there a good way to check if the onboard VRAM is working properly, like memtest for system memory? I don't think it's an overheating issue because FurMark only gets it up to 75 degrees.

I also have a 3070ti and run into the exact same problem in horizon 5. The solution was to lower either msaa, shadows or textures by 1 notch cause I was actually going over 8gb vram which causes those weird funky colors.

Kaewan
May 29, 2008
Since prices are dropping like crazy, even in Australia, I’m thinking of getting a 3090. I don’t need to horses for gaming necessarily but I like the idea of all that vram, especially for VM stuff. My 8gb on the 3070 to feel’s incredibly limiting already.

Thing is I’ve heard bad things about the vrm’s and what not. I’ve watched a video of an alpha-nerd breakdown everything wrong with 95% of 3090s. My question is which ones are good? Also could I just get a “crappy” one, undervolt it and never worry about it?

Kaewan
May 29, 2008
Thanks for bringing me down to earth. I’ll keep an eye out for 3080s.

Kaewan
May 29, 2008
I managed to sell my 3070ti over the weekend for $800aud just before prices for them were slashed from $1100 to $899. And just now managed to snag a used 3080 12gb for $800. What a wild and wacky ride.

Kaewan
May 29, 2008
Yikes that vram usage graph makes it seem like it’s over for my 10gb 3080. Didn’t nvidia have some kind of vram compression thing in the works?

Kaewan
May 29, 2008
drat, how many watts was it it pulling at 220? Someone throw that in a steamdeck.

Kaewan
May 29, 2008
Sounds like your vram could be overheating. Run hwinfo and check what the vram temps max out to while running AW2.

Kaewan
May 29, 2008

PirateBob posted:

58C/70C respectively, during Furmark. It's an Asus TUF.

That’s interesting, I had similar issues with the Asus’s 3080 Tuf as well. My memory junction temps and gpu hot spot would spike well over 100c. I kept undervolting, adding more cooling etc til I decided to take the gpu apart.

The thermal pads Asus used weren’t thick enough to actually make contact between the memory modules and heatsink. After replacing everything temps are now 20-30c cooler.

Kaewan
May 29, 2008

PirateBob posted:

How did you replace them?

It was back in Jan this year but if I remember correctly they were “Gelid GP Extreme 2.0mm” for under the heatsink, same brand but 3mm for under the back plate and then regular old cryonaut for the gpu die itself.

You can’t just do the memory modules themselves without also having to redo the gpu die. I’d google to see what the layout looks like for your 3060ti.

Kaewan
May 29, 2008
I recently found out my friend who has his decked out 13900k, 4090 etc. desktop pc, but keeps using the same 400 gb ssd from ages ago. Nothing else.

It seems every time a triple-a release comes out he just uninstalls the last one. I’d break into his apt and slam in a 4 tb drive if he didn’t move across the country.

Kaewan
May 29, 2008

Cyrano4747 posted:

A few years back I found out a friend was still playing on a HDD because it was taking loving forever for us to load into games that we were playing together. Dude wasn't on a nice computer like your buddy, but I still shipped him a 500gb SSD overnight from Amazon.

True, with Black Friday deals and the holidays coming up there’s no reason I couldn’t gift him a 2 tb nvme.

Kaewan
May 29, 2008

Cygni posted:

There was also a whole industry around modding GeForce cards into Quadros and Radeons into FireGLs, with some mods being as easy as sticking a piece of tape on the card. Nvidia and AMD wised up to those tricks.

Radeon X800's also had a bios modding scene. Still my fav mod is probably that you could buy some dual core and tri core Phenoms and unlock the 4th core in the BIOS with a click of a button. Good times.

I remember doing this with my ti4600. It gave me the ability to use 2-4x antialiasing at nearly no performance cost cost. It was pure magic to me.

Kaewan
May 29, 2008

FilthyImp posted:

Reminds me of that proof-of-concept procedurally generated FPS from like 2003 that was 23kb but took all of 7 minutes to unpack and render up.

Was it called kkrieger or something?

Kaewan
May 29, 2008
It’s not just benchmarks, I sometimes watch YouTube using the nvidia RTX super resolution thing. :(

Kaewan
May 29, 2008
I still get stutters from lack of vram on my 3080. Fixed now that I moved to something with 16gb.

Kaewan
May 29, 2008
What’s going on with 4080 prices in Australia? They’re going up, not down :confused:

Kaewan
May 29, 2008
I usually unplug the rgb header to the gpu board.

Kaewan
May 29, 2008
I liked vista after a couple service packs. I’ve always had way more than recommended ram in every build tho.

Kaewan
May 29, 2008
My only other hobby is photography, recently medium format. I think gaming is cheaper. I do need a tremendous amount of vram to stack several 100 megapixel images which I lack. Waiting on the next gen to hopefully snag a 24 GB one cheap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaewan
May 29, 2008
Check for hairline cracks around the locking tab on the card. The weight of some bigger gpus can cause cracks to form when they aren't supported properly. I've seen a few 3080's on the second hand market with that issue, especially gigabyte.