Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

4 Day Weekend
Jan 16, 2009
I was thinking about getting a 670/680, but since I have a 570 already I'm now thinking of grabbing another and SLI-ing them. What's the requirement for having SLI compatible cards? I've got a Gigabyte GTX570 (link) and I was looking at getting an EVGA one (link).

Same mem, same model and clock speeds close enough for me to underclock the GB one.

I've also got a board with 2 PCI-E 3.0 16x slots (asrock z77 extreme4) and a decent PSU. Anything else I need/should know?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

4 Day Weekend
Jan 16, 2009

movax posted:

It may be worth investigating 2x 570 performance vs. single 670 performance, and seeing how much you can sell your 570 for.

I just read the SLI bit in the OP. Just to clarify, they need the same model (ie GF110) only? Memory/clock speed doesn't affect compatibility?

4 Day Weekend
Jan 16, 2009

Biggest human being Ever posted:

Yes but if you use two cards with different clock speed/amount of memory then the faster card will work like the slower one, extra memory will remain unused and clock speeds will be lowered to match the slower card.

That's fine. Couldn't you overclock both cards though?

4 Day Weekend
Jan 16, 2009

Factory Factory posted:

BFE's mistaken. SLI require both the same GPU (e.g. GF110), the same number of active SMs/SMXs (i.e. CUDA cores) and ROPs, the same memory bus bitwidth, and the same amount of memory.

Examples:
[list]

That's incredibly useful, thanks. One thing, what are ROPs?

edit: nevermind, got it. GTX570s seems pretty homogeous, and the cards I was looking at all match up. Last thing, would there be any problems using SLId GTX570s for a 120hz 1440p display (those korean ones)?

4 Day Weekend fucked around with this message at 16:57 on May 17, 2012