Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Kramjacks posted:

So apparently MSI was overvolting their GTX 660 Ti and 670 Power Edition cards, which gave them performance gains but also caused some systems to fail to post or get black screens after a change in load.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/MSI-GTX-660-670-overvolting-PowerEdition,18013.html

Bugger me, I just ordered one too.

Guess I'll be swapping it for something else when it arrives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Glen Goobersmooches posted:

Asus-branded Nvidia GPUs have been top tier this cycle but I've never actually heard anything about their warranty practices.

I can't speak about gpus specially, but I can report that when I needed the screen if my laptop replaced (under warranty) it was a painless and satisfactory process.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

The reviews of the 7990 are coming out and it sounds rather underwhelming. If you're going to be a kook who wants to spend that much on graphics then get a titan or two 680s/7970s.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

New shots of the Kepler refresh, the GTX700 series

I guess they're sticking with the Titan/690 cooler as the new reference cooler, which is pretty awesome.

It'll be interesting to see the performance numbers when they're finally reviewed. I can see a fair number of people interested in the 780 if it can be over-clocked to performance levels that approach a normal Titan, but for a couple hundred less dollars.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Next to the Titan you could almost call the 780 good value. :v:

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Nostrum posted:

I'm more interested in if the 760ti will have enough oomph to carry me until Maxwell hits.

Unless you're demanding max settings/multi-monitor goodness in most titles you'll be playing, what you have currently will probably carry enough oomph until Maxwell.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Alereon posted:

It'll work, but that's a lower-end power supply and you're pushing it pretty hard, so expect higher noise levels and temperatures. Definitely upgrade power supplies if you consider overclocking.

I'm not planning on a 780, but out of curiosity would I be in the same boat with a M12II 620 and an over clocked 3570k?

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Alereon posted:

Even 100W more capacity would really help in this case, as it gives you a wider optimal band and more headroom before the fan gets too loud. That said, your overclocked CPU is eating up most of that headroom. It really depends on how much you care about noise and heat output from the power supply, if you decide to buy a high-end videocard then upgrade your power supply along with it if you want a quieter and cooler system. If you're not using or planning to use a high-draw (or especially overclocked) videocard, that power supply is probably fine for your system.

If you're buying a power supply and know it will be paired with a GTX 780, it doesn't make much sense to me to get something less than a good quality 750W. That insures peak load will remain within the lower range of the optimal band, and lets you overclock both the CPU and GPU (or maybe even add a second videocard) without pushing noise or heat to excessive levels. Think about system balance, why are you hooking up a $650 videocard to a power supply that costs 5% of that?

Interesting. PSU's are a much more interesting component than I ever imagined prior to reading SH/SC. :toot:

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

cheesetriangles posted:

Put in an order for a 780 which will be a nice upgrade over my ancient 580. How easy is it to overclock one of these? EVGA standard version was all I could get my hands on.

Looks pretty good.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

HalloKitty posted:

What's that, you want a 780 that's faster than Titan for less cost than Titan? http://hexus.net/tech/reviews/graphics/55725-evga-geforce-gtx-780-superclocked-acx/

That's a hell of a cooler. :staredog:

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Ozz81 posted:

EVGA makes some pretty great stuff, love that dual fan cooler. I know some folks prefer the reference coolers that exhaust air out of the case but drat, as long as you got enough airflow, that heatsink/fan combo does a better job and looks to be a bit quieter than the ol' "dustbuster" cooler.

If you're only going to be running a single GPU it sure looks like the best choice yet.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

If the 770 causes slashes in 670 prices I might be tempted to pick up a second 670 for SLI. How much of a headache is it to SLI non-reference cards from two different manufactures?

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Sepist posted:

I was having issues with the original drivers I installed which apparently was normal with the 660ti so I downloaded a modified copy which turned out to have a miner installed.

I'm sure there's a moral to this story. :eng101:

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Good news Canadian shoppers! If your heart is set on a 7990 NCIX has them for $400 off! :thumbsup:

(Which brings it down to the same $1000 as everyone else...:iiam:)

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Factory Factory posted:

Eh. You might be surprised. Someone could be looking for a cheap card for an SLI upgrade because they don't pay for their own electricity or something.

Or their electricity is stupidly cheap. :smug:

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Daktari posted:

I jumped the gun a bit and got the MSI GTX 760 without checking the market too thourough. Basically, I got the stock variant, and not the one with customized cooling. Is the card with aftermarket cooling better in any sense that I'd feel the difference (and should replace)? Is it less noisy?

Cards for reference:
My card: http://pcpartpicker.com/part/msi-video-card-n7602gd5oc
Better? card: http://pcpartpicker.com/part/msi-video-card-n760tf2gd5oc

The custom-cooler will be quieter, cooler and have more room for over clocking. On the downside it'll exhaust directly into the case, which could be problematic in a small/cramped case with poor airflow.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Factory Factory posted:

Yeah, should work. How much headroom you have afterwards depends on the rest of your system, but assuming 1) a moderately overclocked Intel quad-core and 2) minimal overclock/power target fiddling of the 760s, then it should be just fine.

Gonk's got a moderate overclo-

Gonkish posted:

Updated my BIOS, redid the auto-overclock thing that ASUS provides. Trip report:

That's running Planetside 2 (which is loving insanely CPU-heavy), and it's running perfectly fine. Load temp is 40C.

loving Gonktarg :orks:

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

I'm curious to hear if anyone's gone between an Ultrasharp and the Asus 144. I really like my U23's and I'm not sure if be willing to trade the IPS for a TN panel if there's a notable difference in the viewing experience.

Then again, I may be too much of a stunned arse to notice a difference anyway. :froggonk:

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

I wouldn't be surprised if Nvidia's engineers have made a pact with an Elder God that lives in the basement.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

It's not 'future-proofing', it's 'currently awesome-atizing'.

Also, AMD's crossfire fix is supposedly being released next week. I hope they've managed to do a good job; they might actually manage to sell an extra half-dozen 7990s if it works.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Gonkish posted:

When IS the 8000 series due out, anyway? I'm debating waiting on it until I can get my grubby hands on 4GB 760s for non-bullshit prices... :v:

Apparently they're leaving 8000 for the OEM's and going straight to the 9000 series. Current info suggests they'll be released in October.

Also, if you believe the internet the 9970 will be an all-smashing $500 god-card. :iiam:

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Agreed posted:

If AMD does have a very large monolithic design coming out, it'll catch me by surprise, because it goes against their whole "GCN as a long term technology" goal. Transistor count sure as poo poo isn't everything, but they've generally run lean and let nVidia do the bigguns and run leaner for the top of their product stack. As true of Tahiti vs. Kepler as it has been in the past, 4.1B is big but 7.1B is :aaaaa:.

Mind linking the source? I'd like to read more.

The original story.

As far as I'm aware AMD hasn't officially confirmed or released any numbers.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Agrajag posted:

Yay, just finished installing my EVGA GTX 770 and I am now running a tri-monitor setup. 2 DVI, 1 Display Port!

Any suggestions on what I should do with my old EVGA GTX 560ti?

Physx card.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Catalyst 13.8 Beta is out, includes frame pacing fix. Result seems pretty good. A 7990 still isn't as smooth as a 690, but the new drivers are loads better.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7195/amd-frame-pacing-explorer-cat138

Looks like big time steps in the right direction. I would expect the next iteration to be released by, if not in conjunction with, the 9000 cards. I expect the eyefinity issue will be their next big target.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Agreed posted:

nVidia's Adaptive Vsync seems like the best bet for multi-GPU setups right now, even single GPU setups, if you can put up with either 30FPS or tearing or can just afford to spend a shitload on graphics to avoid the problem of dropping below 60FPS. They really did catch AMD at a huge disadvantage here, I find it difficult to believe that AMD weren't even testing for this at all. Why not?

I like the idea of adaptive vsync, but unless they've made updates I am not aware of, it only works in fullscreen mode. I never play in fullscreen mode. :/

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Gonkish posted:

I just got my 760 today and all I have to say is HOLY loving BATSHIT CRAZY FUCKBALLS! This is one of the most noticeable upgrades I've ever done.

When are you getting your second one? :getin:

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Factory Factory posted:

Significant price cuts on the Radeon 7990 now that Cat 13.8b is out. Not such hot news for AMD, but on the other hand, PowerColor will sell you their rejiggered 3-slot SKU for $630 after rebate and it comes with the 8-game bundle (BS:I, Tomb Raider, Crysis 3, Hitman Absolution, Sleeping Dogs, Far Cry 3 + Blood Dragon, and DX:HR). That's a shitload of video card for the price.

Crikey, that was sooner than I expected. I think I'd still prefer the 780 to Powercolour's custom offering, but AMD's 7990 at a reduced price may actually be a tempting idea instead of a 780.

e: Shame the really discounted ones are all brands that are either advised against or largely 'who knows'.

Wistful of Dollars fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Aug 7, 2013

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Kontradaz posted:

So when is the next generation cards coming out. I have a 560ti and wondering when to upgrade and to what.

Two months from now!

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Kuai posted:

So I've been using a GTX 275 for the past 3 years and it has done fine for me. However I feel as it might finally be ending its life since I've had a couple of issues where my screen would freeze and audio would continue. The only PC game I see myself playing in the neat future is Final Fantasy 14 and my card right now runs it fine. Should I pick up another cheap GTX 275 or actually upgrade to a budget Nvidia card?

Largely depends on your budget. If you can afford it I'd recommend a 760. You should be able to ride that for a couple years, too.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Two suggestions might be either 7950 or a 7870 Ghz. Both would give a significant boost in gpu power and should give a couple years of use.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Aphrodite posted:

Electricity is cheap.

My rough math suggests it costs me 30 cents a day to power my computer. Oh noes.

Actually, considering idle time it's probably more likely 10-15 cents a day.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

I don't think there's a wrong choice between buying the 7950 now or waiting for the 9000 series in 2-3 months. It's just a question of your preferences. Are you someone who will look at the 9000s in a few months and think "darn, I should have waited"? If not, there's no real downside to getting the 7950 now. You'll get a big upgrade that'll last you fine for a couple years.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

I have trouble believing two 680s are not enough power for 1440p. I could see one 680 hitting a wall with some titles at 1440, but there are few programs out right now that I can think of that dual 680s can't handle.

I'd also monitor things like CPU usage and system ram usage too; slow downs may be non-gpu limited too.

E: I'd also suggest waiting until you actually encounter problems before upgrading, rather than preemptively doing so unnecessarily.

Wistful of Dollars fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Sep 9, 2013

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Seanightjar posted:

So I have the choice between the 7970 Ghz edition or the gtx 770 from a friend and I am not sure which to pick. Any help?

http://anandtech.com/bench/product/768?vs=829

Which models/manufacturers?

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Yeah...770.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Seamonster posted:

anyone try out the catalyst AMD drivers? Do they really help crossfire as advertised?

Yes? :shrug:

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

One 760 to rule them all:

:whatup:

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Arzachel posted:

Hawaii XT teaser: https://www.techpowerup.com/gpudb/2460/radeon-r9-290x.html

Clocks might not be final, though.

"Data on this page may change in the future."

I'll reserve judgement until it's actually confirmed. I can't find a source for that data (yet).

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

More 9000 series news/rumours. (I refuse to abide by the new naming scheme).

The first picture comes from someone at :dice:, so I think it's a legit picture of the physical card. The bench mark results, who knows how accurate they are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Water water everywhere, and not a drop to drink.