Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
Catalyst drivers have never handled audio very well. I had a card hooked into an AV receiver, and if I ever switched between the cable box and the computer, the system would think the receiver was plugged in when it wasn't and vice versa. I'd have to disable and re-enable both the graphics and HDMI audio drivers in Device Manager to get it to work again.

I guess you could make a batch file that did that using DevCon and run that as administrator as needed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Yudo posted:

I'm sorry if this has been discussed, but does anyone know why both NVidia and AMD are not upgrading (but rather refreshing) their product lines this year? Is there something up with TSMC's new process or something? If anything it seems like a good time for NVidia to strike.

I want a new card with new thingies and whizbangs...

They probably don't have anything new to release yet. As was just mentioned, AMD's working on hUMA. NVIDIA's working on Project Denver, which is probably going to end up connected with their GPUs in some way. Neither are going to be ready for mainstream use before 2014.

Regarding hUMA: I have my doubts this will make them competitive in the desktop and workstation CPU market, which is a bit concerning, since that's the market that would benefit most from hUMA. AMD would need to come to some sort of agreement with Intel. If not, I don't see any one other than consoles and servers adopting this architecture.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Malcolm XML posted:

Didn't the say that gt3e was non socket only?

Probably, since anyone buying a socketed CPU is either going to get a separate graphics card, or they won't be using the new features anyway.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Chuu posted:

G-Sync is putting me off buying a 2nd 2713HM. I just hope that there are good 27" IPS GSync panels avaliable near launch.

At least at the high end, I don't see how GSync doesn't completely destroy AMD in the next generation unless they can quickly come up with similar tech or quickly find out how to interop with it. The more I read about it the more I'm convinced this is really revolutionary tech.

If no IPS displays adopt the tech, then it could fail. IPS displays are vastly superior in about every way except not having 120 Hz refresh rates; G-Sync would be perfect for them. At that point, the only thing they couldn't do would be 3D at 60 FPS, and that's probably a dead fad at this point (and would require a monster of a GPU). Unfortunately, this is NVIDIA's proprietary tech at this point, and I'm betting that if they don't license it to AMD, they aren't going to adopt an open standard if it does come along. It has the same problems as TrueAudio: proprietary and with an extremely poor selection of supported hardware at first.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

The article's summary says one thing, then the article says something completely different. Nobody has said Mantle won't require support from the graphics card; all AMD has said is other people can implement it if they want. If Nvidia doesn't want to implement it, then it's not working on Nvidia cards.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Are IPS panels not able to hold the image long enough for G-Sync to work, or is there some other reason it's TN only? I would think if IPS monitors could handle it, they would have done it by now and have made TN completely obsolete.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

My understanding is that even for HPC workloads AMD should be on par or better than nVidia but nVidia has got CUDA + great support for quite a while now while AMD is still playing catch up there so nVidia still tends to get most of the big wins. Dunno much about Xeon Phi though.

I still cannot loving believe these miners:

108 goddamn R9 290's. That guy probably singlehandedly emptied newegg's or amazon's stock of that card. Prices do seem to have leveled off though so maybe the miner boom is dying down.

I'd love to see a graph of coins mined vs. kWh consumed. That is pretty much the definition of "sperglord" right there.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

I still haven't seen any IPS monitors with VRR in any form. Until that happens, this is all just a bunch of worthless FUD.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

veedubfreak posted:

You can run surround on a single 780 correct?

I'm pretty sure you can run surround on anything with an HDMI output, provided your receiver accepts PCM input (it does).

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Alereon posted:

I sure as hell wouldn't buy a motherboard from a gaming graphics card vendor. I don't think there's anything wrong with their videocards though.

Yeah, they're not necessarily "bad", but Asus, MSI, and AsRock are companies that have a great track record and care a lot more about their motherboard businesses than EVGA does theirs. Also, the company that makes your motherboard matters more in the sense that motherboards have a lot more parts that the vendor can cheap out on, and they're much harder to replace if something goes wrong.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Aleksei Vasiliev posted:

I am almost entirely certain there are in fact a lot of things stopping you from running entire VMs on GPUs, unless I'm misunderstanding what he's talking about

I don't have any idea. GPUs do one thing and do it well; you can't magically make them do what CPUs do. The closest thing I can think of that actually does what he's talking about is the Xeon Phi, which has nothing to do with graphics and is essentially a bunch of cheap CPU cores shoved into a PCIe card. None of this has anything to do with cloud computing at all.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

TerminalSaint posted:

Oh boy, I can't wait to get my $3.65!

Class action lawsuits are less about awarding the plaintiffs and more about punishing the defendant. That's $3.65 over hundreds of thousands of customers.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Kazinsal posted:

Yeah, it's better. Much better than previous versions, but not perfect. Program developers need to start doing icons in SVG in order to take decent advantage of it totally though.

Have they fixed the rendering in Office yet? Because right now, it looks like absolute garbage.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

An 8 GB rebrand for all five people that want to run 8k Skyrim texture packs across multiple 4K monitors.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Josh Lyman posted:

The most intensive game I'm likely to play for the next couple years is Civ 6; I feel like my 970 is probably fine for 1440p for a while.

But a 1070 sure would be sweet.

Civilization games are CPU bottlenecked anyway. Upgrading from a 970 won't do poo poo unless you get a new computer to go along with it.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Phlegmish posted:

For the 1070, would you recommend I wait the extra time for the custom board + custom cooler instead of reference board + custom cooler? I gather that the main difference is that some of the custom boards come overclocked out of the box. I'm definitely not inclined to buy Founders Edition because of the extra cost and some bad things I've read about the cooler of the 1080.

Custom boards tend to have better power delivery. If you want to overclock your own board, that is pretty useful. Be aware that OEMs like to bin their chips, so if you're not getting the top-of-the-line 1070, you may have trouble getting much past the OEM overclock.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

LogicalFallacy posted:

Clock is the rate at which CPUs, GPUs, and RAM are capable of processing data. More specifically it's how fast the bits can change state from 0 to 1 and back. Someone absolutely correct me if I'm wrong, but in the case of these new nvidia cards, the processors and RAM are smaller/more efficient and therefore more capable of achieving these higher speeds without cooking themselves. This gets us better data bandwidth, or throughput capability, allowing for better/more intensive graphics.
tl;dr: New nvidia cards are new and shiny, and so have bigger clocks, which allows prettier games.

It's a bit more complicated than that. A single instruction won't necessarily take one clock cycle to complete. I'm not sure the exact differences for a GPU, but with CPUs, there's something called the fetch-decode-execute cycle; the simplest instructions would need at least three or four cycles to execute completely, likely more. In addition, you add in pipelining to the mix, where the processor determines it can start running the next instruction before the current one finishes. All this means that clock speed is a really poor way to compare actual speeds unless you're comparing overclocks of the same chip.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Spatial posted:

What the hell is an AIB

An OEM, basically.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Keep in mind: If you want both IPS and Gsync, you should be prepared to spend around $700 on the monitor. TN Gsync will be cheaper, less laggy, and less jittery, but won't look as nice. IPS without Gsync will look better and have great viewing angles, but it may have lag or screen tearing, and it will be choppy at lower frame rates.

There is a monitor thread in this forum with more details about Gsync, Freesync, and IPS vs TN. They can give recommendations based on your budget and wants.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

exquisite tea posted:

Wouldn't you also want a GSync monitor for high performing cards to cut down on screen tearing above 60 fps?

If your monitor goes over 60Hz, yes. If not, GSync will be no different than Vsync.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

The STRIX 1070 is a reference board with factory OC, correct? If so, I'll probably wait for the Gaming X to come in stock. It looks like a better board with a slightly lower factory OC.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

PBCrunch posted:

Driver stuff

Nvidia's drivers are definitely shittier now than they were. For one example on Linux, their "support" for the new display protocol Wayland is through an API that absolutely no one but them has implemented. This is because it took a tiny bit less effort than porting to the simple API that everyone is using, and they think they can force everyone onto their API by holding back development indefinitely and requiring nonexistent firmware blobs for open source drivers to use new hardware.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Oh nice. In addition to requiring you to log on, GeForce Experience is using an old version of Node.js with multiple security vulnerablities! What's better, it's a custom version of Node.js, so you can't just replace the EXE like with just about every other Node.js application in the world! Thanks, NVIDIA!

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

F8 doesn't work any more. At the login screen, hold Shift and click Power->Restart.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

New NVIDIA rebrand spotted.

:ironicat: Because NVIDIA's in the forefront of graphics card innovations.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

I just discovered that NVIDIA's installer refuses to let you self-sign its kernel modules. Like, I understand, it's tough to do properly, but they don't even tell you why the install is failing. Is it that hard to say, "Hey, you have Secure Boot on, this doesn't work yet, turn it off to continue" instead of, "Welp, your poo poo's hosed, I dunno, go dig through the logs"?

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Event 41 is a generic "The system shut down unexpectedly" from what I recall. That it says Kernel-Power is irrelevant.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

The power strip could indeed be an issue. They can and do go bad with age, same as everything else.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

I get more coil whine from my overhead LED lights than my computer. :(

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Well thanks, now I feel stupid.

Is there a way to limit the framerate and force vsync for a game with the control panel?

You can force Vsync with “Manage 3D settings/Program Settings.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

ItBurns posted:

Counterpoint: AI doesn’t exist outside of marketing materials and won’t anytime soon.

You should tell that to your phone. The previous sentence took me 10 letters to type. That one just took me 13 gestures and button presses, and it got everything right first try. I’d sure call that AI.