Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
I found the idiots buying all the AMD GPUs:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fNnXSSrc90

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Strix is such a dumb name. Like, what does it even mean, where does it come from, where does it go

It's actually a cool mythology reference: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strix_(mythology)

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Zero VGS posted:

Oh, that explains the mechanical owl thing on the box.

Yeah, it's a bit obscure but I give ASUS credit for doing something distinct and not just another GAMER EDITION FTW XTREME.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Zero VGS posted:

Well it's an owl that exsanguinates babies so that's still Xtreme in an inventive way.

Yeah it's still edgy it just at least isn't the exact same thing. I saw something with an el33t display and cringed.

Honestly I think the owl that cries war and destruction probably makes more sense.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
My first graphics card was a Radeon 7000. At Christmas I wanted to upgrade so I could play Doom 3 better so I bought a 9200 SE from the computer shop we went to. My cousin was nice and chipped in some more cash to go to a 9600. I'm sure there were other cards before then on like old DOS computers, but that 7000 is the first I actually remember.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Malloc Voidstar posted:

My daily carry is two handguns with attached knives and four more knives in case I lose access to the guns

Rosa Diaz?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Paul MaudDib posted:

Yeah that's a good price for the Hybrid. That's like the current price at Newegg right now, so it sounds good for crazy Canadaland prices :canada:

Yeah, 1080s didn't collapse up here like they did in the US. There's usually a $200+ difference, and the TIs are up at $1k. And that was before this whole cryptomining thing.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

redeyes posted:

MSI afterburner crashes the gently caress out of the RX480s i have tried. Just saying.

RX480 isn't a Pascal card though :v:

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

tehinternet posted:

I just bought an EVGA 1070 FTW for $450 today.

I'm tempted to put it on EBay because holy gently caress nerds are dumb.

I mean, I'm dumb for paying $450, but I see 1070s for 600+ WHEN THEY'RE IN STOCK ONLINE.

Goddamn.

Jesus, mine was $515 CAD a month ago. And that's a good price at current.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Every time i see the phrase "fine wine" I now think of AMD inflating GPU benchmarks. I blame you, thread.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Risky Bisquick posted:

FineWine™ now means GPU appreciation rather than performance improvement.

Okay so despite it being like second to last on important things about a GPU, I do appreciate the shroud design on the Vega FE. Looks really nice, IMO.

I'd never buy one, but there's some FineWine® for you.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

MaxxBot posted:

If their supply of the cards is good yeah but I have a feeling it's gonna be limited and the coin miners are gonna buy up all the stock immediately.

Are they? I thought the run was just on the 500 series models, not the Fury X.

Is HBM2 a big enough deal to cause problems like GDDR5+ does for them?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Fair enough. Sorry, I'm sick as hell and read that as just being about Vega FE, not the larger launch soon™

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Paul MaudDib posted:

I wonder if AMD didn't sample any reviewers with cards. Wouldn't put it past them at this point.

I mean they didn't even let PCGamer see the framerate for the preview that came out like, yesterday.

In that case I look forward to Linus putting two in Crossfire and talking about its fps count, while disclaiming it's totally not for gaming but he's doing it anyway because the people demand it.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Also according to that press release the water cooled one won't be out until Q3. I can't imagine the watercooling is the bottleneck, guess they're really having trouble coordinating the launch overall. Question is, will the watercooled FE be out before the consumer cards, or did they push it back as a sacrificial lamb to give them some space to launch the consumer models? This really does feel like HBM2 starvation.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
I look forward to AMD launching into a mid to high end graphics card famine and completely loving it up when there are buyers for literally anything they sell right now.

Also if Vega's supposed to be so good for compute, have they even talked about actual professional cards or is the FE the only option they're putting out?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Ryzen did get patches with absurd performance increases, though. It could happen - very likely won't, though.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Beautiful Ninja posted:

The absurd performance increases I've seen with Ryzen so far have been more bugfixes than anything. There were some apps that just did not play nicely with Ryzen's structure that once fixed performed as expected.

Right. Just the Team Red fanboys have SOMETHING to go from, even if not much. It seemed like Vega was evolutionary and not much of a big new architecture, so I doubt there's many increases along those lines to be found.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Paul MaudDib posted:

PSU measurements show 25W slots and 130W at each connector with huge variation on draw that indicates a power throttle.

Double or triple eight-pin AIB power solutions, make your guess now.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Palladium posted:

So, did AMD fire that Poor Volta marketing guy yet?

At this point nVidia could just keep selling Pascals for what, another year? year and a half? until AMD finally decides to compete again

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Risky Bisquick posted:

Just wait for 8k texture packs :pcgaming:

Yeah, Skyrim with a bunch of bells and whistles added. I even watched a JayZTwoCents video where that was his exact explanation: "you don't need 8gb at 1080p unless you're a hardcore Skyrim modder"

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Over $300 CAD for a 1060 3GB is stupid as hell. The 6GB sure, but not the 3GB.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

So here is a video from Buildzoid with numbers from his VegaFE, it's worse than his early estimates, more like 600W-700W to avoid throttling: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IfSGboBX1QE

holy poo poo

Guess there's gonna be a market for those crazy 1500-2000W PSUs again soon.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Don Lapre posted:

Not in the US. Dont think there is a 1600+w unit thats 120v

Audiophiles have been adding their own power systems to their houses for a few years now. Looks like it's time for computing enthusiasts to start doing the same.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Subjunctive posted:

I find that direct three phase to a molybdenum rectifier really increases the warmth of my geometry shaders.

I really enjoy a wider, deeper graphicsstage in GTA5. Makes the car murder pop more.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

DrDork posted:

Eagerly waiting to see if AMD manages to get themselves sued over using the wrong water-cooler again, like they did with Fury.

What's the story there?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

DrDork posted:

What the gently caress? For reference, that's more than double the weight of a hybrid 1080Ti.

Gonna want one of those reinforced PCI-E slots for that monster.

Thanks for the details on the Fury X, everyone.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
I look forward to miners snapping up every one to keep their insanity going just that little bit longer.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Does nVidia have bad history with Sony like they do with Apple?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

repiv posted:

Speaking of Linus, remember when he called Vega FE a piece of garbage and promised to tear it a new one in his review.

Funny how that review never got posted after AMD threw several exclusive previews and a Holocube his way :allears:

I don't think ANYONE has posted actual Vega reviews yet.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
This just gets worse and worse. At this point the only way Vega could become more of a clusterfuck was with a new alt-right edition.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
With all these bundles and price increases, I feel bad for one of the markets AMD was really talking up: people who had already bought a monitor with Freesync and were looking to upgrade. A guy like that just popped up in the system-building thread and it's really sad to go "no the card you waited forever for isn't good :( and even if it was you couldn't get it without buying a whole second monitor." A lot of people seemed to be planning on waiting for Vega to upgrade for a GPU to drive their fancy screen, and that's not gonna happen.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Zero VGS posted:

He's 5 years older than Linus... 36 vs 31.

Dude has some stress issues.

Jesus, really? You can tell Jay worries a lot but that is not a 36 year old's face. Or hair. Poor guy.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Good on him for moving past that. :3: Now he just needs to learn how to dress, guy definitely looks like a former fat guy.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

ufarn posted:

Jay has always been reluctant to do ads, he's in a pretty good position to talk about this. He's still as juvenile as the other YouTubers, but at least he's not in full sell-out mode like the others.

I think Jay is my favourite tech youtuber because he's utterly unassuming. You're right he's juvenile, but it's usually "whoops that sounded way naughty" instead of something else, and he's endlessly self-deprecating. (That probably goes with the anxious + ex-fat guy thing, but still.) Jay comes off as more of a reasonable, actual person to interact with instead of Linus the Ad Man. He's not the best for specific technical reviews - GN is that - but he's willing to own up to not being that, and tells people to go elsewhere for that. And as someone pointed out, he's pretty clear about his methods and reasoning.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

EVIL Gibson posted:

Gamer Nexus is strange in that they go through Patreon so they are not as addicted to those YouTube profits as much as the others that make them sort of... More trusting? It's weird because they post videos that are literally lambasting their audience for being idiots (the recent your drat card is not running at 2Ghz for example) which any other channel won't do because any dip to ratings is suicide.

It made me want to fund the guy just because of that feature they have where a guy is in front of a scan of a video card or mother board and write down all the components for you and tells if they are actually high quality or garbage day quality.

Steve has already pointed out how much AMD fanboys hate them for their negative Vega coverage. That video only made it worse, AND Steve waded into the comments to slug it out with them. He's been clear in the past how little time he has for that bullshit, which is really nice to see.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

I was waiting for this. Probably not quite as epic as Linus wandering Shanghai or whatever getting lost while talking about what the gently caress X299, but still pretty great. A+ Jay.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Huh, a $200 price jump, I wonder why that would happen. Oh well, at least if you are in the market for a ultrawide freesync monitor you could get a radeon pack and get $200 off on it! Really nice of AMD to do the whole pack thing!

Guess we know where the Vega price increase is coming from!

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
I imagine your fedora knows a lot about class, dude.

Also there are so many things with bad performance if not outright broken in the Vega drivers that I would be very wary of taking any suggested performance as indicated. Is primitive geometry discarding working yet, or did that get pushed aside for the cryptomining drivers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
MCM on interposer is supposed to be Navi, I believe.

Vega is such an odd duck because it really should have just been cancelled. AMD had a better gaming chip they already binned (Big Polaris) and now they're treading water until their next actual architecture. Vega really should have just been compute-only/mostly for professional/prosumer tasks like the Frontier Edition was, but AMD made some stupid choices and had to push it as a consumer gaming architecture instead.