Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense
I've been happily rocking a small gpu for a while but considering all of the ai tools run on gpu and amd is talking a lot about focusing effort onto improving ai performance on upcoming processors. It sounds like I'm looking forward to whatever is coming out in q3 this year. I have to admit this is after about 30 minutes of research and I don't know what I'm talking about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

Animal posted:

Anyone else here old enough to remember when people were having this same argument about 3D gaming at 16bit color vs 32bit color with a performance hit? If I recall correctly the 3Dfx cards took the biggest hit with 32bit, and a lot of people still had Voodoo’s.

Anyways after playing halfway through AW2 with path tracing, the thought of switching it off seems ridiculous. Just like playing Quake 3 at 16bit color.

I started complaining when games went 3d at all, and you guys are still trying to make 3d games happen

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

shrike82 posted:

how much does a PS5-equivalent PC build cost currently?

Google-fu led me here

https://www.techtimes.com/articles/268621/20211128/ps5-equivalent-pc-build.htm

It says $1,176.95

https://gamingbolt.com/how-much-would-it-cost-to-build-a-pc-like-ps5-in-2023

This link says $770 though

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

I wasn't going to go for Ultra Quality but Ultra Quality Plus sounds like my speed, I don't know if I can afford Ultra Quality Plus Xtreme though.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

My wicked rig has rgb, it's the first time I've ever used it.

Was surprised to find there still isn't a standard and whatever you buy is going to have it's own ecosystem, and even after that you're gonna have to mix them up because you just will. It's pretty much as dumb as normal cases look when they don't have killer rays.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

For me newer cards are a lot about whatever the hot new feature is like raytracing being improved, or the new ai processors, or whatever is going on coupled with lower power consumption. Means it runs less hot, it cost less to buy it, probably takes up less space.

So, whatever is the flagship from the previous generation I'll take whatever is a bit less powerful than that in the current generation.