Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

hobbesmaster posted:

I doubt you'll see hotswapable thunderbolt much. eSATA isn't hotswapable either and desktop PCs can take the removal of hard drives better than PCIe cards.

I've been hotswapping eSATA hard drives on my laptops for about 2 years now? If you're worried about messing stuff up you can make sure to click the thing on your taskbar to "eject" them first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

hobbesmaster posted:

I must just have terrible luck with eSATA drivers... last time I tried hotswapping I just got a BSOD.

For what it's worth, I've been doing it on my two Dell laptops, which both are eSATAp ports using an eSATAp enclosure for a drive. They're a Dell Studio 15 and a Dell XPS 15. I DO always go to the little "remove hardware/eject" icon on the taskbar first though.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

balakadaka posted:

My post is full of hyperbole, but I mean in a 'this will be cool in 5-10 years' way. I don't want to buy Nvidia's cloud gaming service next Tuesday, as it'd be horrendous with the residential bandwidth the US has

Latency is unavoidable though. You can have all the bandwidth in the world but if the server's not close enough it's still going to be unacceptable.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Wedesdo posted:

Somehow, those screenshots impress me way less than the first time I saw Half Life 2. Maybe we're getting spoiled.

Half Life 2 impressed me less itself than Quake 2 did, which impressed me less than DOOM, etc. When you're already pretty close to reality to start with, getting even closer just doesn't involve as much apparent improvement.