Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Dogen posted:

The cape effects actually aren't PhysX, as I recall, because they wanted everyone (consoles included) to see them.

They're enhanced and much more natural with PhysX though, playing on my 5850 the cape is a lot more rigid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Jimlad posted:

Just a quick warning for anyone in the UK looking to get a 6xx Nvidia card: be very careful if you're relying on companies to make good on orders at the moment. So far I've had both Ebuyer and Scan take orders for GTX690s that they claimed were in stock, only to go, "Whoops! Guess we didn't have them after all," just before the due delivery date. I've had bad experiences with Scam in particular in the past, but I hoped things had changed (they haven't). My advice is never to order from them but still use their website for comparing products since their website isn't too bad.

I have to strongly disagree, in 5 years of dealing with them I've never had a single problem with them or a false stock issue.

Overclockers UK on the other hand, are a steaming pile of poo poo.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Verizian posted:

^ I've had a problem with two orders from Scan but that was more to do with a lovely delivery company. DPD If I remember correctly.

Yeah DPD is terrible, the one downside of Scan to be honest, otherwise their customer service has been top notch for me as well as their prices, most of the time.

coffeetable posted:

I don't understand how they're still in business. Doing research for my upcoming build, there's not a single component they beat out dabs/aria/scan/novatech/ebuyer/amazon on, and they're usually £10-£20 behind :psyduck:

A large group of fanatical followers, some of the poo poo they post on their forums is downright disturbing.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Avoided blowing a load of money on a 680 and bought a second ASUS HD5850 for £80/$125. That should tide my hardware itch over long enough, at least until Haswell is released.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

I recall talk of the 6xx series not being as good as the 5xx series for 3DS Max rendering and such, is it safe to assume that'll be the case with the 7xx series too?

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Man seeing how well a 780 overclocked goes against a Titan makes me really want one, but I have a perfectly good 7950 that I want to last me until HD9000/GTX800... :sigh:

Don't worry, I'm still using a 5850 and Q9450.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Yudo posted:

Anyone think that AMD will announce new cards at computex? It's past due unless they want to give nV free reing until 20nm parts are baked sometime next year.

I agree, still waiting for the 9000 series to pop-up before I commit to a 780.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

FetalDave posted:

Yeah, I think I'm done with this video card, and AMD in general.

The 7970 I got is blue screening now with 0x00000116 atikmpag.sys errors. I think I'm just going to RMA this and get a 770 or something. The only off-putting thing about the 770s are that they only have 2GB of RAM.

*EDIT* Now for some reason, Youtube videos are jerky when they play also. I never had this issue with my 5870.

There is a 4GB GTX 770, you might just have difficulty finding stock.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Unormal posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mass_hysteria

Some percentage of cards fail all the time; correlation isn't causation.

My friend's 560 Ti worked fine until he updated.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

unpronounceable posted:

The plural of anecdote is not data.

And a wikipedia link doesn't disprove anything. ;)

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Has anyone had issues with the GTX 780 (320.11) and Far Cry 3? It seems that every other game I've tried runs fine, but Far Cry 3 results in shadow artifacting and the screen getting tinted green.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Agreed posted:

I am playing this now to test it out for you, had planned to finish Crysis 3 before starting a new game but what the heck- I'm running the latest WHQL drivers, my GTX 780 maxes out at 1175MHz core and somewhere in the ballpark of 6600MHz VRAM. No issues at all like you're describing (also, this game is so much better than Far Cry 2, holy poo poo).

Edit: Getting further in, starting to see some shadow glitches, nothing going on with a full screen tint although black loading screens flash different luminosity which is a little weird. I've read all over that FC3 has issues with the launch drivers and the 780, I don't expect this to be a permanent thing. Guess what plays FC3 fine? 7970GHz :colbert:

(Gotta throw 'em a bone after my pre-surgery suggestion that we just full-stop quit recommending them, honestly.)

Yeah looking into it, I've read probably some of the same sites as you regarding launch drivers. Guess I'll just wait a while then, shame because other than that the 780 absolutely destroys FC3.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Agreed posted:

I'll stick to just grabbing drivers manually, setting up my own games as I please, and being happy with vsync at 60fps, y'know?

Is the automatic driver update that terrible or do you simply prefer doing a clean wipe?

e: Which reminds me, is DriverSweeper still a thing? I have faint memories of it being discontinued.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Dogen posted:

I had that problem with windows 8 and afterburner early on and had to use the overclocking menu in nvinspector to make it stick, as well. A later release of afterburner fixed that.

Also a lot of people bitch about the 320 drivers, seems like. Crash here, dead card there...

320.11 that came on the disk are working great for me, it's also the first time in ages I've actually used the disk drivers.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

I've been out of the loop for a month or so, is the 320.18 corruption issue fixed?

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Magic Underwear posted:

Well, they did announce a game bundle. http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/articles/announcing-the-geforce-gtx-holiday-bundle-featuring-heroes-pirates-and-spies

Starting the 28th, 770/780/Titan gets you Splinter Cell Blacklist, ACIV, and Batman AO. 760/680/670/660ti/660 gets you the first two. Plus with any of them you get $100 off some piece of hardware that no one cares about.

Welp, that's the last time I decide to be an early adopter.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Chuu posted:

Why is gaming hardware so gently caress-off expensive over there?

Higher cost of living, and taxes.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

I'm almost tempted to sell my GTX 780 to get a 970 considering I'll never willingly buy any of those games. Extra gig of VRAM would be nice for Mordor and Skyrim.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Carecat posted:

Holding out on moving from a 670 for them to release the rumored 8GB versions because we already have 6GB games kicking around.

Good point.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Gwaihir posted:

I got the Gigabyte 980 and pushed it to 1550 core and 8ghz memory initially, but I had to back the memory back to 7.8 because I was getting rainbows in Shadows of Mordor (When lightning strikes illuminated the ground around me the light effect would be rainbow colored instead of white.)

The card won't start throttling until 80 degrees, so if you're below that it's fine.

For what it's worth, I get that too on rare occasions and my card (not a 980) is at factory clocks. I think it's just a bug in the game.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

My friend isn't happy that he can't run GTA V Max at 1080p with his GTX 780. I don't know anything about recent cards so can't offer any advice, so I thought I'd ask here. Should he get a second 780 or try and sell for a 980 (assuming sale of the card covers half the cost). Looking at second hand prices of the 780 the price ends up similar, maybe slightly cheaper to buy a used card.

IIRC he has 8GB of DDR3 and a 4570k.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

I don't know if its because my monitor has a 12ms response time, but I've never noticed a difference in input lag with v-sync on or off.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

xthetenth posted:

Note the G1 Gaming getting about 18% more performance over the reference, you do get something for that noise versus the blower. However the Inno3D is one wedding ring on one of the tines over the fans away from perfect.

It also looks like its from the same designer as the recent Mad Max film.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Rather Dashing posted:

So my 780 shat itself this morning when I gave Arkham Knight a quick spin. I'm guessing the 960ti is the goto upgrade if I want it at high settings on 1080p for roughly £300?

If you have £300 to spare sell your 780 for £200 and get a 980 Ti.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Rather Dashing posted:

I think 980ti is what I originally meant - I barely pay attention to GPUs until upgrade time and the get horrendously confused.

Haha, poo poo yeah just noticed the little Ti on 960.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

When nvidia refers to Q1 2016 for the first Pascal units, does that mean Jan-Mar or the business newspeak quarters.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

I'm about two minds being on a Ti cycle, I've got a 780 right now and I'd rather go for the first Pascal release than wait longer.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Zero VGS posted:

Wiki has quite a few titles I've already played or are coming out soon as using UE4: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Unreal_Engine_games#Unreal_Engine_4

Ark, Daylight, Dead Island 2, Dragon Quest XI, Eve: Valkyrie, Fable Legends, Street Fighter V, Tekken 7 are a few notables.

Edit: UE4 is also the go-to for any high-end VR titles right now, they're even making VR movies with it for the Rift

Ark is UE4? Genuinely couldn't tell.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Krailor posted:

That test still shows AMD benefiting way more from DX12 than Nvidia.

The 980 only gets a 250% performance increase while the 290X sees a 517% increase.

In DX11 the 290X only gets about 30% of the performance of a 980 while in DX12 the 290X gets to about 65% of the 980.

When you're only getting 8 frames a second 500% isn't all that impressive.

Getting playable framerates and then almost doubling/tripling them is.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Wasn't Star Citizen going to be using double-precision or am I misremembering?

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

Yes, just another technical aspiration in the clusterfuck that is Star Citizen.

Could be a good push for AMD assuming the game is ever tangible.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Kazinsal posted:

Probably not. AMD's been choking the FP64 in favour of better FP32 since Hawaii. Fiji's FP64 is cut down as all hell like BurritoJustice pointed out but granted it still comes out to something like two to three times that of Maxwell.

I'll be honest, when I woke up and saw 1000+ points, bestof with 3k+, and that my post was gilded, I was seriously considering editing in a link to a project that I actually put effort into instead of writing and doing math for while watching an episode of Sons of Anarchy.

Whoops, must have misread. I can never wrap my head around AMDs codenames for some reason.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

Am I the only one who thinks you really shouldn't stiff the people who write reviews lol

Also this was a few down on Roy's twitter

I wanted to see if their target market reacted well to this but the AMD subreddit is set to private.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

DrDork posted:

tl;dr if you want a card that's great at DX12/VR, wait until the next gen from both red and green team drops before you plunk down all your cash.

Could you imagine if Pascal is somehow poo poo at VR. What's the actual issue with Kepler/Maxwell, the async stuff or something unrelated?

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

That brings me back.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

beejay posted:

What's good about it? "Not too much problem with this" isn't exactly a ringing endorsement. There's zero upside for users. Just because there's "not too much" downside doesn't excuse it.

It benefits Nvidia, that's why it's happening.

I don't have to browse through 20 drop downs to find the driver I need so yay GFE.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

Yeah I'm not making that mistake again. I'll be selling off mine weeks before the first 1070 equivalent release and picking up one of those and hope its good enough to hold me over to the 1080ti release. Unless AMD pulls through. Although I probably won't preemptively sell for that until I see some numbers.

I was just going to get the *80 to replace my 780 but getting a *70 then *80 GTi might not be a bad idea.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Don Lapre posted:

sunk cost fallacy

Doesn't really apply to GPUs I think.. I'm only starting to feel the need to upgrade my 780 in light of a new monitor (3440x1440), 3 years later. If I likely had my old monitor I'd probably not be getting the upgrade itch.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

No he is buying a 980ti now to avoid buying another 970 to SLI, and then that 980ti will go on to replace what is now a 950 once and if pascal is something he wants to buy. The only thing getting bumped out of the loop here is a 950, and then (and only if he wants to) a 970 to sell after the Pascal release. In the end he will end up with either a 980ti and 970 machine, or a Pascal and 980ti machine. The money "wasted" here is less than it seems when you consider the final outcomes.

He doesn't need a 980 Ti for a "console" PC. A sensible consumer would stick with the 970 for 4 months but then again he bought a Titan X so I guess that ship has sailed a while ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

I've killed off any part of my ear that registers those frequencies a long time ago.