Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

is that good
Apr 14, 2012

Factory Factory posted:

Check it out yourself.
Does anyone have any particular idea why the 6770 seems to be mostly outperforming the 6850 here?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

is that good
Apr 14, 2012

Biggest human being Ever posted:

It's passively cooled too, looks like a good choice for a HTPC.
The pictures with the shroud removed also have the fan removed. You can see the conspicuous dent in the the heatsink leaves space for a fan.

is that good
Apr 14, 2012
It's for people who want to take their old beige boxes and let them watch HD video, supposedly. Though I'd more generally say it's to clear out old stock.

is that good
Apr 14, 2012
The 7750 is a bit worse than the 6770 (which is equal to the 5770), but runs cooler and uses so little power that it does not need a PCIe power cable (though there is an upclocked version that uses the cable and should be somewhat more powerful). The 7770 is a bit worse than the 6850 but again uses less power. The 7850 is approximately equal to the 6950.
They all also have assorted extras and may possibly improve in performance through future driver updates.

is that good
Apr 14, 2012

Solvency posted:

It seems that the thinking has changed since the last time I looked at cards, where the external exhaust was preferable to an internal exhaust. Why is internal now prefered, since I'd think venting out the back would be the most useful.

Internal exhaust fans have gotten bigger and often come in pairs or triplets, while external exhaust fans can only get so big before pretty bad diminishing returns, so a modern case with good air flow effectively means the best internal exhaust cards often beat the best external exhaust cards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

is that good
Apr 14, 2012

Zero VGS posted:

Sure but he's paying 7% interest the whole time, so unless he knows something the rest of the market doesn't already know about AMD's outlook then that's idiotic.

I think it was something about an offer where if you paid it off within 20 months it was interest free