Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

My nephew wants to buy a 3080ti, off ebay, for about £500.
Am I right in thinking this is daft?
I mean, he could get a 4070 for about £480, or a 4070 Super for £540.

I think he's seen some benchmarks showing the 3080ti beating the 4070s in some games (in some settings, in some resolutions etc) But it can't be by much, and the 3080ti is, what, over 3 years old, won't have a warranty, or dlss3/frame gen stuff.

He has asked what I think, but I don't follow every review or article.
It'd be a better, safer purchase to get a 4070 (super probably)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Thanks for the 3080ti posts. Pretty much what I thought really. He still lives with my sister, so I'll mention the power draw to her and she can veto it if I can't persuade him

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

ijyt posted:

Is a 3080 Ti for 600 quid even worth considering? Friend is looking to upgrade but I have no idea (and kind of no interest) in finding out how it stacks up to the 40 series.

I was asking the same question (for a relative) a few days back and everyone agreed it was a terrible idea at 500 quid.
600 will get a 4070 super which is better in every way pretty much.

3080ti is only worth about 400/450 max, to balance the age of it, the power draw/hear, the lack of frame gen

Just checked and 4070 supers have dropped to £540 which is a no brainier

YerDa Zabam fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Feb 19, 2024

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

5000 will probably be over a year away

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Anything needing testing should be classed as refurbished. Open box should mean just that. Often open box stuff hasn't even left the warehouse.

Policies will depend on the company though so best check if you are unsure.

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

How about leveraging the frame gen stuff to crank up the performance and enable some previously unobtainable visuals. Would you be able to get Cyberpunk with all the fixins running well? That always seems like it'd be a good showcase.
I guess it'd be dependent on resolution still, even with the frame gen

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Been scoping out a 4080 super and the benchmarks for Alan Wake 2, with everything maxed at 4k, is the one that makes me ponder getting a 4090 for a moment. Then I remember I can’t afford a 4090 and wise up sharpish.

Tbh, the Avatar game does too, but that lovely diner in AW definitely looks best with a 1700 quid gpu. loving crazy.

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Do any of you guys have any experience with the Asus ProArt RTX cards?

I managed to get one (4080 Super OC) for just under £1000 from Scan which was about £180 under any other sellers have them at. Also, it was pretty much the lowest priced card available except from one that had a few reviews mentioning higher temp/fans/general lower quality. It was either Inno or Zotac, I can't recall after looking up so many.
As well as the price, I actually love the look of it, to the extent that I'm now considering having a case with a glass side, which is a 180 change of position for me.

Anyway, just wondering if anyone knows how they perform noise and temperature wise? As it is a "2.5 slot", I'm hoping that's actually plenty for that chip, and all the others are just over the top mega chngus style for gamer appeal.

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

change my name posted:

They're good, my 4070 ti ProArt runs super quiet and has never cracked 70 degrees even under full load (but also it's mounted vertically against a mesh panel so your mileage may vary)

Good to hear thanks.
I'm really pleased that I lucked out. I've admired them in passing, but they were always priced way above rrp, and seemingly never in stock direct from Asus.
Might be a bit of a gateway drug though as I'm now eyeing the motherboards too haha.

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

kliras posted:

it's still weird to me how cheap the proart supers are, at least in the eu. they're basically asus' premium model. maybe they're just easy to manufacture

In the UK at least they are still generally pricey. Asus has them listed at sensible rrp on their web shop, but with Nvidia FE level of stock holding, and everywhere else just bumps the price up.
They do look likw they'd cost less as far as materials go since they are not massive and overbuilt, and thankfully, no rgb. I guess they sell fewer though since the majority of "capital G Gamers" love that poo poo.

Anyway, I was so excited to see one so (relativity) cheap that I neglected to pick the saturday delivery option and now I have to wait another 2 days for it to arrive. Feel like a kid at a postponed christmas.
Seriously though, you'd think that when spending £1350 (got a cpu too) they'd just automatically wave the loving £3 surcharge.

-edit-
Haha, just got an email saying that my driver Ivan will be here with my deliver in an hour.
Weird, but good.

I wonder just how much it (4080 soop) will be than my outgoing (laptop) 3050 with 4GB VRAM? Fuckloads I assume.

YerDa Zabam fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Mar 16, 2024

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

My brand new ProArt 4080 S has a clicking/rattling/vibrating fan, straight out of the box, fuuuuck.
The "side" ones are totally fine, but the middle one is an annoying bastard. Ah well, the retailer has some sort of 48 hour swap-out thing at least. I really hope they stay in stock while they reply to my RMA ticket as other than this, hopefully rare issue, the card is a thing of beauty.
I do all sorts of repairs such as chip re-balling, micro-soldering etc and I reckon I could easily fix it, or change that fan, but it cost a grand so nah, not this time.
Kind of ironic as I decided against a Gigabyte card as I had one develop this problem in the past.

Haha, while writing this post my (also new) PSU started to click weirdly when changing speed, but I've fixed that by poking it (gently) with a (plastic) stick.

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Branch Nvidian posted:

Are you sure that it's not some errant wire or cable getting hit by the fan blade? While it's definitely possible, it does seem odd that you have two brand new components with noisy fans.

I know what you mean, but nah, I've been over it all with the proverbial magnifying glass. Had it all out the bench too.
The psu fan is touching something just as it speeds up or slows down from the zero setting. Can't see inside, but it just sounds like plastic against metal. Definitely coming from in the psu.
The fan in the GPU, is definitely the bearing. I can actual feel it if I move the fan gently by hand. Bumpy/rough feeling that you get in really old failing fans usually.
If I manually set the dodgy fan to 20% and leave the other 2 to auto it's fine, and even with fur mark blasting it, nothing gets much higher than the low 70c level, and it sounds totally acceptable. gently caress that on such a pricey item though. Won't help the resale value either.
Other than the fault, the card is really great, I hope they cans swap it out, like for like. Or just change the fan.
Just (double) bad luck.

Unsurprisingly, the jump form laptop 3050 to 4080 (and 7800x3d) is insane though. The fluidity is as impressive as the looks.

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

hark posted:

Do you live near some kind of solar flare magnetic storm or something?

Haha, maybe my old famously magnetic personality is returning. Hope not, I can't afford stupidly overpriced graphics cards and human relationships. One or the other sadly.

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

The cpu will be a bottleneck yes. Couldn't say how much. You might be able to find something on YouTube with that combo to give you an idea. Then compare that with the card and a mire recent cpu to give you a rough idea of how much you are leaving on the table. A fair bit I'd guess. 30% wouldn't surprise me. Just guessing though.
I had an 8th intel cpu that I was considering pairing with a 4070ti a while back and found some youtube benchmark videos that put me off the idea.

As for the psu, idk, but 750 does seem to be cutting it very close.

YerDa Zabam fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Mar 19, 2024

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Bad Parenting posted:

Thanks for the replies all. What's the CPU of choice for gaming at the moment if I decide to upgrade, the Ryzen 7 7800X3D? What is a good motherboard to pair with that?

If I want to upgrade the PSU should I go to 850W or just jump up to 1000W?

Yeah the 7800X3D is very popular, and an excellent choice. Monster performance to go nicely with a 4090. Runs relatively cool (sub 85c) and impressive low power use. Says 120W, but is generally more like 80W or under.

Since others have said 750 is fine for them (with maybe reducing the power target for peace of mind) then the extra ten bux or so for an 850 would make sense. 1000 is way more than needed and will bump the price a bit.

There was a good back and forth a couple of pages back in the PC building thread
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3970266&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=501
Basically get a B650 board, pick what IO options/M.2 numbers/generations and call it a day. Pooperscooper who was asking initially got a ASRock B650M Pro RS WiFi Micro ATX. I recently go (and am happy with ) an Asus Prime B650M-A WIFI II.
You could throw a dart into that whole selection of boards and most likely get something decent. It's all about IO/USB/M.2, and aesthetics really. Performance is fine across the board except for specific extreme OC stuff, and particular, highly specific tasks (even then it is marginal difference)

YerDa Zabam fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Mar 19, 2024

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Bad Parenting posted:

Thanks for the link, I'll have a catch up in that thread and shout there if I've got any more questions! I'll likely end up getting the 7800X3D CPU & B650 motherboard combo along with a 850W PSU, my PSU is getting on for 5 years old now, how long do they last these days?

My previous Corsair is over 14 years old, and my nephew is connecting his new 4070 super to it today (with an adapter thingy) They tend to just keep on trucking.

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

efb-Also, generally speaking they don't fry all your parts (generally mind) but are more likely to cause weird errors, BSODs and the like.

If I ever have a hard to diagnose issue I always try to swap in a different PSU. Once I do check the RAM as that's easier to do.
Hope I've not tempted the gods and my new gpu goes boom. With my recent luck nothing would surprise me

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

shrike82 posted:

https://twitter.com/rockpapershot/status/1770469696464191987?s=20

Welp, performance even on a high end PC sounds like a shitshow

I watched a stupid amount of reviews so can't find the specific ones/parts. But it looks like it is more a CPU thing, and it is definitely way worse in the cities.
(not that any of that is cool or good)
Someone had a 4090 and 14900, got over 100fps in the wilds during the fights with all the lovely effects popping off...until the town, then got 20-30. holy poo poo. Not a great deal (appears to be) happening in the towns relatively. Well other than NPCs LOD phasing into existence about 10 feet in front of you.
Hopefully it can be improved (a lot) but drat, they've been making it for a long while.
I've been looking forward to it for ages so I really hope so

YerDa Zabam fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Mar 20, 2024

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

drat. So pretty.
Wonder if it'd take my 4080 one or if it's strictly 4070?

Actually on further reading it looks like it will cost a fortune and be hard to even get hands on one.
I really shouldn't start down the itx/mini rabbit hole either.

God though, look at the full video of the thing it is really something else...
https://www.bilibili.com/video/BV1oy421v77p/?t=68.0

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Regarding the Dragon's Dogma 2 performance form the last page, well, now bear with me if you are naturally repelled by an IGN video, but the guy doing this one (and many of their technical ones) is that NX Gamer chap. He really knows what he's talking about. His own channel is well worth subscribing to if you aren't aware of him already.
https://www.youtube.com/@NXGamer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPrO2ZHQ3mM

Taima posted:

The forbidden west port is incredibly good. Nixxes is such a great studio. Apparently they're porting Ghost of Tsushima too.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, pound for pound there's nothing better than these PS5 exclusive ports, because they have to nail the art direction given the hardware they're working with. So when they bring these games to PC it's ridiculous.

Can't wait for Tsushima.

e: then things are going to get even better when we are far enough along to start getting the games that weren't required to have a PS4 version.

I'm so happy. The fact that I had barely got half way through Ghost of Tsushima before selling my PS5 to fund the 4080 build felt real bad. So excited to finish it with all the fancy shiny stuff.
Forbidden West too. The trailers and stuff look incredible.
Wonder how they will feel on a keyboard and mouse? Planing on getting a gamepad at the end of the month anyway, but it'll be interesting to see how they compare.

gently caress, all of this is academic until the fuckers return my RMAd card. Tomorrow supposedly. loving hope so.

YerDa Zabam fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Mar 21, 2024

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

That's actually a really nice looking card. Other than the "cool street style graffiti * on the back, that is. Not a fan of that bit, but the design is pretty classy otherwise

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Lord Stimperor posted:

Man for a while I was wondering whether I'd wasted money on getting the 4070 Ti super. But I've spent hours and hours in Cyberpunk just looking at path- and raytracing. Really got back some childlike wonder. I wish I hadn't played through Alan Wake 2 already. Might try out Battlefield V again, but tbqh WW2 games hit too close to home for me and may send me spiral into obsessively reading about massacres and pitying the human condition. IDK might do minecraft instead, but only the lovely bedrock edition does raytracing.

I was the same with my 4080. Just looking at stuff and walking around cooing
There are some Cyberpunk mods that make the path tracing even more of an eye-popper too. It's quite the rabbit hole though
It's worth trying Minecraft imo, even if just for a "wander about looking at things" session. Maybe fire up your Alan Wake save and have a look round the diner. That really brew me away.
Other's that I've used to satiate my graphics wonderment are Metro Exodus, RE Village, Control, Spider Man, Portal, Quake, A Plague Tale.
Not tried Avatar yet though. I might get that subscription thing for a month when I have the time. Can't see myself getting the full price out of the game, and there's nothing on Ubi that will make me want it for more than a month.

YerDa Zabam fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Mar 23, 2024

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Spent the last month RMAing my (two) rattling ProArt 4080 supers,which is rather disappointing. However, I channeled my frustration into selling all my old crap on ebay, and now I can afford a 4090. I also have an actual spare room, rather than a room-o-shite.

I can't wait to have my retinas bombarded with fake-non-realtime-90%-smoke-n-mirror-psuedo-rays that some may (wrongly) say would be better off existing as free range organic pixels. Gonna call my first born Ray.
(last bit is a fib, I'm old single and already have a rad daughter, called Tessa-lation))

YerDa Zabam fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Mar 30, 2024

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Last time I spent over a grand on a hobby, it was darknet drugs, so my 4090 is a lesser evil to say the least.
Until the next electric bill arrives

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Bjork Bjowlob posted:

Do you think you just got unlucky with production batches, or is the 4080 ProArt Super not as well made as it seems? I like the idea of the smaller cooler and the visual design, but if they're lower quality then I'll keep looking

Short version - They seem really great other than my bad luck. Give one a try from somewhere with easy returns.

Long version -
Hard to say if it was a bad batch, but seems likely. It went out and in of stock multiple times while they dealt with card one (AKA The Rattler) so I assumed that the replacement would be a new batch and fine. Sadly, card two (AKA Screaming Whiner) was similarly hosed. Both were middle fan, acoustic issues, so I'm guessing a bad batch.
Just because they went OOS at the retailer, doesn't mean it's not from the same pallet/container at the distributor I guess, so bad batch looks like the reason.

There isn't really any bad press/posts/etc about them having issues. Personally, other than the obvious fuckups I had I think they are really, really nice cards. Solidly built, nicely styled, and if I switched off the bad fan, quiet as gently caress. Even with just the side fans they were had very low temp. I can't remember the numbers, but they were performing incredibly well. I didn't want to run them forever with just 2 fans though, and it'd lower resale value, but I did actually consider it for a wee while.

I considered trying a third one, but as I mentioned somewhere here I think, I'd saved a few hundred quid and decided to go "baws-deep" and get a 4090.
If there was a ProArt 4090, I'd probably even try it tbh. And whatever 4090 I do get, I'll always be disappointed that it isn't my true first love the ProArt 4080 Super.
-ninja edit-
Haha, that's right, I just remembered, I was so enamored and disappointed by card two that I thought ":love:maybe I can fix it:love:". I considered just taking off the shroud and re-seating the fans. Then considered doing an actual de-shroud (this one is popular with the SFF crew so fan adapters are readily available). Then I recognized signs of hypo-mania and calmed down a bit. Calming down now means a 4090, so take that as you will.

YerDa Zabam fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Mar 30, 2024

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Lol, it is a pretty hosed looking cat. The fact that he's considering it's scaredyness and wearing headphones is quite :3:

-update-
Well, after my run of bad luck with the 4080s I finally got some good luck.
Gainward Phantom 4090. Quiet as gently caress even under load. No weird fan resonances or rattles. No coil whine.

Going to see about reducing the power use a bit though or my electric bill give me a heart attack.

YerDa Zabam fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Apr 3, 2024

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Seems like they are very much aping Nvidia's "vague but looks good I guess" graphs and PR bullshit lol.
They all do it I guess, but that ones do really remind me of the stuff the GN Steve always complains about (rightly)

I just hope that they, as well as AMD just keep at it. Nvidia has a big head start but it'd be great for some competition. Can't believe I'm rooting for the scrappy little upstart that is Intel. Feels gross tbh. I can imagine them passing AMD with this part of the equation at least. I think that would make Nvidia pay attention more than if it was AMD.

I did the under-volt (and memory overclock too iirc) thing on my 4090 yesterday and what a difference it makes. Can't remember the exact figures, but it knocked over 100W off of the peak power use. Admittedly an naturally high load of Furmark, but still good. Also a few degrees cooler, and slower fans.
Oh, and benchmarks were about 2-3% different, sometimes higher sometimes lower. Only took a few minutes to do as well, really easy to do. Highly recommended.

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

AEMINAL posted:

Any good guides out there for undervolting? Never quite got it working in afterburner.

I followed this one. It was shorter than a lot of the others that showed up (though it could be shorter still) I usually prefer written guides, but a video helped me more with this.

-e-
Actually, I maybe followed his other 4070Ti one, but the principle is the same on all 40 series. I guess he's just making more vids for more clicks.
Had a chuckle at his name for some reason, "ImWateringPSUs"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LD3OSYzIUkw

Here's another one that explains a bit more

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KPR06CxysMw

YerDa Zabam fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Apr 5, 2024

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

rong thred

YerDa Zabam fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Apr 6, 2024

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

5000 series - Five slots, and thousands of dollars

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

what are the odds that DLSS4 is locked behind 5000 too? pretty high I guess

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

kliras posted:

dlss feels like it's already close to being too overloaded a term for people to wrap their heads around, especially with 3.0.0 versioning being different from dlss 3. people associate dlss 3 with frame generation, so i wonder how they're gonna approach naming

Very good point. It is misused confused and conflated a lot. And that's by people who have at least a rough idea about this sort of thing.
I'm surprised that nvidia haven't split it up a bit more and branded the gently caress out of each part tbh. All in time maybe.

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

I think the same kind of thing happened when a repair-tuber got a load of cards that Cablemod had replaced.

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

cool fan vid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwtPrG14uQk

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

love it

I recognise a couple of these from my own past too

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Kivi posted:

Bought one of those silly lil ARC 310 cards from Sparkle and it's mostly fine but it has the worlds most annoying oscillating fan. Apparently this is a FW fault, so I was thinking if I could just unplug the fan until they fix that FW.

I'm assuming that these Intel ARC cards thermally throttle normally and can handle running without fan for short periods? Apparently sensors don't work on Linux yet.

CoreCtrl or CoolerControl no good?
Rather than just unplug it, could you extend the wire to a motherboard header and control it from that instead maybe?

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Maybe one of the features will be that they only use a couple of hundred watts, and aren't enormous. Maybe.

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

I'm putting away £50+ per month to cover some of what I'll lose if I sell my 4090 to decide to get a 5090. I used to kid myself thinking I'd wait another generation or whatever but I've come to admit that in this game there is no real logic or common sense.
Losing a few hundred quid for having played with the thing for 6-9 months is fine I feel. Again, this is relative to expensive toys and being able to afford it. Currently at least.
If I decide against it I'll maybe get a new TV or something else to fill the void.

Part of the reason I just got a 4090 recently is that I don't trust global supply chains/global shitshows any more. I'd hate to wait and then not get one because of a ship stuck in a canal or a massive invasion of Taiwan. Or even worse, another crypto thing, yuk.
Then again maybe that's just me.

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

shrike82 posted:

You'll probably be able to get the 5090 on launch day just like you did with 4090.

Unrelated, I was replaying Fallout 76 (after watching the TV show) and noticed wall power draw for my entire PC + monitor setup (13600KF + 4090 + 32" QD-OLED) tends to be 450W - managed to get it down to 350W by further power limiting the 4090. Decided to test out my laptop (7840HS + 4090M + 32" QD-OLED) and that averages at 200W.

Both to hit 4K, highest graphics settings and hitting the 117 cap limit.

Is that just because laptops are designed to be more power efficient? Surprising gap from my perspective since I'm capping frame rate

Yeah because it is a mobile part, and because it is an older game that you are capping.
It's like comparing apples to oranges as well something else I can't think of a snappy analogy for

Canned Sunshine posted:

How long were you running the game on the laptop for? I would assume that the laptop is leveraging its battery for additional power as needed, so obviously there would hit a point at which it probably would see performance drop if/when the battery is depleted or the charger cannot keep up overall.

Erm, I don't think it is this no

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Cross-Section posted:

Does anyone else have issues power-limiting their 4090 (though I suppose this could apply to any recent RTX card) in newer games?

No issues when I'm playing something out of the backlog but lately with stuff like Forbidden West I get weird texture glitches when I'm doing pretty much anything with Afterburner (either power-limiting or undervolting) that isn't just keeping settings at stock. Same issue with Starfield and Banishers: Ghosts of New Eden.

I just followed this guy's undervolting video (then double checked as it seemed a bit too easy) and it has been great. No issues at all, same benchmarks, 10c lower temp and at least 100w less at the wall.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LD3OSYzIUkw

Canned Sunshine posted:

Yeah, you’re gonna need to go into more justification there, because there are a lot of variables beyond just “it’s a mobile part”.

And to the latter, laptops definitely leverage their batteries at times during higher-demand usage, as seen in numerous workstation laptops and MacBook Pros.

To be blunt, I don't really get what was expected?
Part designed to be sip power uses less than one that isn't?
I mean, the op sort of says it anyway no?
And any battery boosting or otherwise isn't relevant as all that is being observed is a laptop using less power than a desktop
Unless I'm barking up the wrong tree, idk

Second reading maybe you're surprised at the laptop performance? I read it that the op was surprised at the power use disparity.
I think we're at cross purposes here maybe

YerDa Zabam fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Apr 18, 2024