Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Are you all looking forward to donating a kidney to nvidia on August 20th?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Cygni posted:

Rumor is the 2070 will have 2304 shaders and maintain 8gb G6.

Considering the 2080 is 2944 shaders and performs (supposedly) above a 1080 Ti, this would put the 2070 somewhere between the 1080 and 1080 Ti, with a launch price probably around current 1080 prices. Not a huge game changer, but will probably be the 1440p card of choice.

I was mildly surprised that the amount of VRAM isn't supposed to increase between the current and new generation. Is the VRAM more important for the raw amount of pixels/polygons or textures?

The context is that I'm in the market for an upgrade to my 970. Mostly because of VR. I was hoping the 20xxs would provide 1080 performance with less power consumption, noise, and small enonugh to fit in my rig. I think I primarily need the ability to push around many pixels - I can turn down detail and textures, but the resolution demand is still very high in VR. I'm hoping that 8GB wouldn't create a bottleneck to that end.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

There's a sale nearby at an electronics store, 19% off everything including the new GPUs. And you can order online.

I'm on a 970. I need a new GPU for VR. Don't really want a 1080Ti because of the power consumption and heat, and likely doesn't fit in my small case anyway. I was eyeing a 2070 but the discount is tempting.

Hold on for the 2070, or grab the 2080 at a discount? If so, which brand?

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Zero VGS posted:

So which fuckin' store then? Of course it's gotta be the guy with the Stimpire avatar to cocktease the thread.

Excuse the blueballing.

I'm talking about the German divsion of MediaMarkt. Internet rumors have it that they are preparing one or two days with substantial discounts. Unfortunately, they don't ship outside of Germany. But you can buy an item online and pick it up at their stores. So I'm F5ing their home page.

I live close enough to the border and got enough free time to justify making a trip on the weekend. Two years ago I did that to buy a pretty expensive camera. I used it until I tired of being bad at it, and then sold it for more than I bought it at.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

TheFluff posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZgX4EfIiXc

GamersNexus 3D artist thinks that to the end user, raytracing probably won't be a huge deal - most of what it does to improve how games look has been possible to fake "good enough" for a long time. Instead, the main benefit is to developers, who won't have to work so hard on trickery to get things to look convincing.

Except when the devs still have to do all the trickery because between PC and consoles, about 0.05% of users will have that chip :toot:

Although it would be really sweet if 3D mirrors in flight games wouldn't kill performance anymore

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

What is this thread's opinion of KFA2, more specifically their RTX 2080?

They're retailing for 800EUR at the moment, considerably cheaper than the other brands. I know that in Pascal, KFA2 used cheaper memory which made them less popular with crypto miners but I have never had a card of theirs.

So are they garbage or what?

Also let me throw in Palit and Zotac. I don't wanna overclock, but I want a reliable card that doesn't sound like a jet turbine.

Lord Stimperor fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Oct 1, 2018

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

VelociBacon posted:

I'm really curious if my 2080ti ever comes in whether my i7 4790k OC to 4.6GHz will be throttling it.

:same: except i don't OC because i'm a sissy

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

EdEddnEddy posted:

Yea overclocking a quad core is easy as pie on anything Sandybridge or newer. You are literally leaving up to 50% more performance on the table on some chips.

Stock cooler is going to limit you, but if you have a halfway decent aftermarket one its really, really easy.

I'm using Noctua coolers since 2009 but never overclocked

I like that they're quiet and brown

See this is my hot take on benchmarking

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

ufarn posted:

Is that a normal thing to do? This thing is a goddamn brick so I worry about what gravity is going to do to it if it's not locked in.

I'm pretty paranoid about GPUs bending. So I string some cable ties together and fix the cards to the ceiling of the case.

e: ah sorry I misread the context of your comment, I guess my reply doesn't really apply

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Statutory Ape posted:

Wouldnt just getting the 65w one be a better move for energy use/thermals anyways? Genuine question.

Based on what you all said the way I understand the difference between the 2600 and x is that one will DEFINITELY reach Y clock speed because its just sucking more juice. The other one PROBABLY will get most of the way there but uses 66% juice to do it

E: im just asking because im curious to understand more, ill be damned if i can justify building more computers i cant use. Now if i could find a way to sell them and at least break even, i would try to do interesting builds way more often for fun

Also wanna know

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

:ohdear:

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Brilliant review posted:

At $599 that puts it in competition with the GeForce GTX 1080. The reference MSRP on GeForce GTX 1080 at its launch was $599 but the Founders Edition was $699. Therefore, Founders Edition to Founders Edition the GeForce RTX 2070 is cheaper than the GeForce GTX 1080 at its launch

The 2070 is so expensive that it has the same price tag as the previous deluxe item. But one version of the old deluxe item was sold at a higher price so actually the 2070 is p cheap :bravo:

e: also whoever wrote this piece should really take some lessons about writing imo. Half the article is just verbally repeating the spec sheet and bench charts. Bit tedious to read to be honest.

Lord Stimperor fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Oct 15, 2018

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

That's not what I meant when I wanted the glory days of 3d accelerators back

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Just pulled the trigger on a msi 2070 gaming

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

priznat posted:

Yeah same I’m at the gently caress it I’m doing this!! stage

I got my 2070 and it is loving huge

I thought the 970 was large, but the 2070 looks as though it belongs in some cars engine compartment

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

I suspect I might just as well ask a magic 8 ball, but is there any accepted wisdom at what point the market will calm down again? If there wasn't a problem with chip supply I would expect that demand and prices would settle down by 2022. But at this rate I'm crossing my fingers that my current rig is very long lived.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

My gf called me gamer recently and we had to have a talk

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Combat Pretzel posted:

So apparently the additional 2GB of VRAM on the 3080 Ti actually does something with recent AAA games? Well, isn't that just dandy, while I'm staring intently at those two unpopulated footprints for 1GB chips on my regular 3080.

Time to bring out the solder iron and fix random chips from Alibaba to it

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Wondering whether I prefer hardware prices always remaining the same or hardware being completely outdated within a year like in the 90s

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Oh gently caress this will be so cool for generating dnd landscape

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

It's funny I was looking at the calendar and GPU prices, and putting the two together, started lowering the voltage of mine lol. This 2070 can't die on me the next 1-2 years.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Paul MaudDib posted:

the style of music will obviously be called “tensorcore”

:discourse:

I wanna go into a rant about how our perception of harmony and rhythm is far more intolernat to disruption than our visual system but I won't because I'm just not that big of a nerd anymore (begins to lecture to an imaginary class under the shower). Wanna get some tensorcore regardless of whether it's good or bad.

blunt posted:

It's a very cool tech demo but it's no where near production ready atm - renders are limited to 512x512 and are pretty heavily artifacted:

My sister graduated from art/design in the early 2000s and this looks a lot like what she did at the time. She was imitating collage-style artwork on the computer. You know, composing images by cropping, cutting, and pasting other images together. She'd often mash up landscapes and big things from lots of little things, which gave them a surreal quality. Now we have networks like DeepDream that automate this part and this Nvidia demo that does it on the fly. It's insanely cool.

Beautiful Ninja posted:

GPU manufacturers always overestimate PSU requirements to cover for people have bad PSU's. Presuming you have a decent quality PSU, you should have no issues at all.

This has led to the unfortunate consequence of some hardware people not even giving you advice until you have a 2kw PSU installed to power for 1030Ti because of course your system won't run underpowered like that

e: I'm trying but it's not easy getting gotase out of this app

Lord Stimperor fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Jun 27, 2021

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Really doesn't take long to get something neat looking. But you really feel how the app steers you towards shapes that it understands. Really looks like some '90s-RPG background art.

edit: POV you're creating a new settlement in a 1996 strategy game

Lord Stimperor fucked around with this message at 11:04 on Jun 27, 2021

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

I love this dumb little AI toy

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

The prices can only drop so far though, after the crypto boom dies down in earnest, there is still the chip shortage.

I thought the chip shortage was predominantly focused on chips with bigger nm structures than what's relevant for gaming, like low power stuff that goes in home appliances and stuff. Please don't tell me we have to compete with Bosch for GPU silicon now

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

I hate dealing with PSUs ad their cables. I'm not dumb enough to make my own and custom cables are stupidly expensive. I wish case manufacturers would make fitting sets for their cases, bith in design and more importantly length.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Any common knowledge how much you can typically undervolt an RTX2070? I'm now running 950mv@1800 and it really benefits temperatures.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

I imagine when people booted up the game, the scenes inside the GPU where like the Chernobyl control room as they noticed the mega power surge

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Roumba posted:

The Sayano-Shushenskaya Dam disaster might be more appropriate.

I remember reading about that one. Creepy poo poo. Heavy metal go spin fast. Heavy metal break. Oh oh.

I lived very close to a power plant when one of their turbines went off and blew a hole into the roof. Luckily no one died as it occured in the night when few people were around.

I awoke to a loud noise and was confused why the road lights were off in the dark, and why the city was cleaning the street in the middle of the night. What I thought was a street cleaning engine turned out to be the howling that came through the open power plant roof.

The howling in the unexpected darkness made for a pretty neat, spooky experience. Also gives you a very mild preview how confusing a real disaster is for the people in the middle of it.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Kazinsal posted:

As a fun point of comparison since you brought up Star Wars, the original prints of that film have been digitally scanned in at 4K and colour-corrected, and holy moly the grain in some shots is *bad*. Here's a comparison (at 1920px wide) of the same shot, scanned in at 4K from an original 35mm technicolour print and cleaned up, without and with digital noise reduction (and the slight correction in colour that mild DNR impacts):

Some film stocks were grainy as hell. Others aren't as bad. The noise that's in older films that have mild digital noise reduction applied is more like what we see in a lot of games these days as a baseline. If you put OG Star Wars made-on-a-shoestring-budget 35mm b-grade film stock grain into a game these days gamers would be screaming about what an ugly mess it is.

IMO sometimes the (added or original) noise also helps with the immersion. If a picture is crystal clear, it's harder to overlook harsher studio lighting or imperfections in a set. Noise, digital or original, and other effects help to smooth over all these messy details.

I also remember when in the 2000s all games were brown and full of bloom. Glad that period is over.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

I can't imagine that GPU manufacturers for desktop users can brute force extra performance for very long. Even if end users do not care about the increased power and heat issues - the more you make PC, console, and mobile component behave differently from one another, the more difficult it becomes to ensure cross-compatibility. Since developers need to optimize for console chips, all that extra brute force power will in many cases not be utilized efficiently, or only to compensate for the lack of PC-optimalization. I'm probably oversimplifying this but it doesn't feel right.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

This looks right out of an Alien set and would look absolutely gorgeous next to my Durgod Fusion. I dig it. I absolutely would go for that.

CoolCab posted:

there was that recent digital foundry video where they incidentally happened to pull out an old nice CRT for some silly comparison on Control, and they had to spin off that into it's entire separate video because they both were immediately floored with how much better 720p on a CRT looked much better than the highest end 4k OLED monitor. i mean a lot of the qualities they were listing were subjective but i generally found myself agreeing with them, let me go find it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8BVTHxc4LM

i have to hope we have some more headroom with improving image quality. or that crts will come back because the surviving examples of good ones can cost more than a cheap car, lol.

Sounds about right. When TFTs and flat TVs (720p) just became available, everything looked absolutely horrible on them and I hated it. CRTs were really good at masking imperfections in the image, albeit at a cost to detail.

A while ago people were making comparisons of how game sprites tended to look on a CRT as opposed on a flat screen, to show how modern machines can't really show how these were intended to look. There were more salient examples than the one below, but I can't dig them up on Google.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

I think no one likes scan lines themselves. In fact I was used to PAL TVs so I had never perceived scan lines. What people like about CRT is the inherent blurriness of the image, which smoothes over imperfection, makes lights bloom, and can be used to great artistic effect.

When I went to bed I was thinking about how during the late 2000s, games where buried in bloom, motion blur, and depth of field effects. I'm wondering how much of that was because developers tried to recreate how games ought to look on a CRT as everyone slowly moved to flat screens that were initially really bad in comparison.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

The Steam Deck controllers aren't detachable right? I'm very curious about how that is going to feel. I get pain in my wrist & thumb when I use the Switch in handheld mode after a modest amount of time. Maybe the Steam Deck is more ergonomically formed, but I'd still prefer if you could detach the controllers and use them like a gamepad.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

I've seen people talk newegg GPU shuffles here. I've you've gotten a bundle with a gigabyte PSU, be aware that these GPUs are apparently rubbish tier and can fail explosively according to GN:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aACtT_rzToI

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

What I'm hoping is that all these upscaling algorithms can be tweaked in ways that make sense aesthetically. I'm less concerned with a pixel-perfect recreation of the ground truth. Like with that CRT derail we had pages ago, I hope that imperfections created by the algorithm will ultimately not look bad, but act in a way to smooth over imperfections in the underlying image.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

I hope those noctua GPUs become a reality. I would totally build a noctua themed computer in 2022-23.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

MarcusSA posted:

I finally got around to under volting my 3800FE but I'm not sure if the temperatures changed much? I'm using 1850mhz @ 850mV and while my time spy score really didn't change much at all my temperatures are still hitting 83c at max load. Is that an issue? I did some google work and it seems like the FE should be running closer to 70c?

Really dumb question but did you hit apply for the new settings? Im asking because I made that mistake before.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

I'm fiddling around a bit with msi afterburner on my RTX 2070.

I've undervolted to 1860Mhz @ 950mv, which is running stable, and then reduced the power target to 99%. This gives me anywhere between 50 and 70fps in a cruising airliner in MSFS2020, at high-ultra settings @1440p. That's pretty great performance in that game. Meanwhile, temperatures drop from the low 70s to about 65. I'm happy that GPU tweaking has become so accessible and safe over the last years that it has become a no-brainer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

How long can GPUs remain unaffordable before it starts driving people out of PC gaming