Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Icept
Jul 11, 2001

Factory Factory posted:

Does anyone actually feel hyped by the 290X?

Reasonably hyped for it, considering the only game I really care about performance in is BF4, and Mantle should be providing the goods there. However, there's no way I'm putting down money until we see some independent figures showing at least a %10+ performance increase over what else is in that price range. And it's not even going to be implemented until December, so no day 1 sale either way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Icept
Jul 11, 2001
How does the GTX 680 stack up to the new offering? Based on other responses it looks like there's an advantage to the 970, but it's not particularly huge.

Icept
Jul 11, 2001

Hamburger Test posted:

drat. The vendor caught their pricing error, so I won't be getting the MSI 980 at 40% off. Ordered the MSI 970 at a different shop, saved ~40$ and won't have to wait 3 weeks for stock. This is going to be so awesome 670 to 970 at 1440 - and will finally be rid of that loving coil whine that has been building up over the last 8-9 months.

They cancelled my order as well :D

Where did you end up ordering from, Komplett?

Icept
Jul 11, 2001

Anti-Hero posted:

I would also like to hear some anecdotes on Zotac. I have a ref 980 from them coming, as I got sick of trying to get a MSI/Asus/EVGA. My research indicated they are a reliable brand.

I've been running a Zotac GTX 680 with the reference blower from day 1 of release until now with exactly zero issues.

But I was weak and faltered, so I have a MSI 970 in the mail. I don't even know what I'm going to run on it.

Icept
Jul 11, 2001

GreatGreen posted:

Everything.

You're going to run everything on it.

:getin:

Twerk from Home posted:

Update on those insane system requirements from Bethesda for The Evil Within: I really hope that we're seeing a marketing guy talking out of his rear end, but now he's telling people on official forums that a 4GB GTX 760 is definitely going to perform better than a 780 Ti. I'm now leaning more towards "system requirements have no connection to reality", just like Wolfenstein. Both my CPU and GPU were well under the "minimum" spec for Wolf: New Order, but it ran pinned at 60fps without turning down any settings or looking bad.

Yeah, you can't really trust them either way. Best thing to do is to postpone game purchases until after release and read up, which I guess is especially wise early in a new console life cycle. Also, having some really common (but not cheap/underpowered) hardware seems to be a good bet, as there'll be a huge group of people to lobby the devs on your behalf if the game is really janky.

Icept
Jul 11, 2001
I was playing some Witcher 3 and wondering why it was running like poo poo on my 970, even with everything on medium. Turns out the 60FPS cap was on in the graphics settings. Guys, don't become used to your 144Hz displays, it's a (delicious) curse.

Icept
Jul 11, 2001
The last good (PC) game Microsoft had a hand in was Age of Empires 2

Icept
Jul 11, 2001

ijyt posted:

That is almost £200 more than what I paid for my 780, they can gently caress right off with that price.

Yeah, that's messed up, especially considering how it's going fare after the inevitable Ti / Titan releases.

Also bodes ill for the 1070 in Europeland.

Icept
Jul 11, 2001

AlternateAccount posted:

gently caress this FOUNDERS EDITION bullshit. I blame Kickstarter.

never buy flounders

Icept
Jul 11, 2001

UntunedGuitar47 posted:

gently caress all this poo poo and waiting for pre-orders and EVGA can't get their poo poo in Europe together and poo poo! After missing out on a Gainward GLH on tuesday, I saw that a store here in Germany had one Palit 1080 Super Jetstream (basically the same card as the Gainward) in stock and that fucker is on it's way to me and should be here tomorrow!
:boom:

Hah, I did almost the exact same thing (Strix -> Palit). Never had a Palit card before and reviews are pretty much impossible to find at this point. I found one for the 980Ti with what looks like a similar cooler and that reviewed well, so fingers crossed.

Icept
Jul 11, 2001
Windows 10 Settings is a piece of poo poo but surely this travesty can be contained in the Windows 10 thread.

Icept
Jul 11, 2001
So I decided to make a bad decision:

Motherfucker is heavy compared to the ol' MSI 970 4G. Anyone have a comparison or benchmark with the 970 they want done before I put this into place?

And yes, the "Super" is a nice little sticker on the box :v:

Icept
Jul 11, 2001

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Can you take a picture of it with a banana for scale?

Happiest 1080 lol

Side girth I think???

Tracer rear end is still WIP

Icept
Jul 11, 2001
As promised here is the rear end post:

Here is the 970 rear end. This is a good, solid rear end for the masses. The working mans rear end, dependable, rugged.

Here is the 1080 rear end. You will of course notice the added detail to the crease, the 4K DSR bringing out all the details on Epic settings. An rear end for the elite, the demanding gentleman that knows what he needs in the rear end department.

UntunedGuitar47 posted:

Hey Super Jetstream buddy, got mine today and am just done with installing it. Now I'm gonna take it for some rides, hell yeah. :respek:

Aww yeah :respek:

Icept
Jul 11, 2001

UntunedGuitar47 posted:

How is your card performing? I did not futz around with any overclocking and stuff and mine is between 1911 and 1979 MHz on boost. Most of the time it's either at 1949 or 1924 MHz at 70°C and close to inaudible. I'm very satisfied with my purchase and Doom on max settings is freaking gorgeous. :allears:

Yes it is also running a little over 1900 for me, very impressed. I had to go watch spain v turkey so I didn't get much time on the card tonight but very positive first impressions as well.

Icept
Jul 11, 2001
So I have to run my secondary monitor on the iGPU or the 1080 idles at 1200mhz... I thought they fixed that poo poo?

Icept
Jul 11, 2001
I don't know anything about HBM, but would it be hypothetically possible to move away from PCI boards when it gets widespread? Just have the chip drop into an additional socket on the motherboard, and throw your own cooler on it like a CPU. Of course some additional power would have to be directed through the motherboard with the necessary VRMs in place.

Icept
Jul 11, 2001

Rastor posted:

Yes, this kind of thing is called a mezzanine connector and nVidia is already pursuing it.
http://www.pcgamer.com/nvidia-pascal-p100-architecture-deep-dive/

That's cool, although it might be trouble for AIB partners that haven't diversified enough.

Icept
Jul 11, 2001

SwissArmyDruid posted:

God, GPU news has gotten so effing _boring_.

It's time for BitBoys to make a comeback.

Icept
Jul 11, 2001
Phone posting here but you can set frame limit to 1 in a config file for GTAV

That fixed the issue you are describing for me

Icept
Jul 11, 2001
Dad [H]ard, so what

Icept
Jul 11, 2001
Please respect the NDA and remove images of classified AMD management tools.

Icept
Jul 11, 2001
Eh, gonna keep my XB271HU as I think pretty much everyone else is. The price is too steep, and you add in the fact that the connectors don't have enough bandwidth to drive the panel to it's potential without compression it seems even more ridiculous.

Edit: I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be able to tell the difference with regards to chroma subsampling, but my point is just wait it out until everything becomes more reasonable.

Icept fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Apr 29, 2017

Icept
Jul 11, 2001
[ XP053D ]

Icept
Jul 11, 2001

SourKraut posted:

The only drawback to 1080p Gsync is that I don't believe there are any IPS displays available for it. G-sync and IPS don't start until 1440p.

I know I'm going to be in the minority with this opinion, but as someone who went from a CRT to the first commercially available high refresh flat panel (Samsung 2233RZ) and now on an XB271HU IPS, having a good quality high refresh monitor is more important than having Gsync. The whole spiel about how you won't notice frame drops because of the way the sync is done doesn't really hold water with me, the framerate is still the number one target.

Maybe the trick is to not expose yourself to gaming at high framerates :)

Icept
Jul 11, 2001
RTG has forsaken us, and in doing so condemned us to scavenging flooded mining plantations for moldy Pascal cards in eternity.

Icept
Jul 11, 2001
How difficult is it to spoof the device ID string in the Ashes benchmark? I imagine it's not trivial since any credibility is being given to this?

Icept
Jul 11, 2001

Risky Bisquick posted:

Launching the whole stack at once probably means they are trying to extract all the revenue before a 7nm refresh in a year.

This is my immediate conclusion as well, but do we know definitively that the 2080 chips are 12nm?

The whole RTX thing can benefit from some time to mature as well before jumping in.

Icept
Jul 11, 2001

Cantide posted:

This looks pretty bad but maybe it's just the game itself not running that well yet. If this really is the performance impact you have to expect whenever you enable Ray tracing features they might as well not exist at all

Of course it will be tweaked, but the question is if you want to pay for front row seats to see how well they manage.

Icept
Jul 11, 2001
We need to know who ordered two 2080 Ti Founders Editions for that sick SLI setup.

Icept
Jul 11, 2001
Is there a reason that AMD has not seen (at least publicly) the blowback to the cryptobubble pop as Nvidia did, where they agreed to reclaim a significant number of chips from the AIB partners?

I assume that the miners were purchasing every GPU available, with either AMD or Nvidia chips. Is it because the AMDs production was simply not at the same output as Nvidia, and therefore the AIB partners were left holding less chips at the time of the "collapse"?

Icept
Jul 11, 2001

DrDork posted:

You pretty much already got it: AMD wasn't able to ramp up production for various reasons, so they didn't have a bubble in the same sense. AMD's partners were left holding basically no chips, because they never managed to produce enough to result in a glut.

Alright, bit of a silver lining for AMD I guess :)

Icept
Jul 11, 2001

L0VE posted:

Embargo ends on the 16th with release the 17th so while I'm technically incorrect I feel my point still stands. I don't see a good reason why the reviews can't be out a week before release tbh.

A week gives you enough time to realize that paying $1200 for lackluster performance gains and promises of features to come might be a little silly.

Icept
Jul 11, 2001

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

Hardware Unboxed looks at RTX in BFV, yikes. It's all bad but even worse is that RTX takes a bigger hit as the res goes up - at Ultra and 4K the hit is 4x. This is just reflections ffs

Sympathies to everyone who subsidized Nvidias R&D efforts this launch.

Icept
Jul 11, 2001
Thread title's days are numbered

Icept
Jul 11, 2001

TheJeffers posted:

I'm honestly surprised that more reviewers aren't just doing the end-run and going out and buying a card if their coverage is going to be stonewalled by NV PR anyway.

My understanding is that getting any sort of traction on YouTube requires you to be in the very first wave of videos posted on any given new release. Which is only possible if you get the card in advance of the embargo lift / release day.

However, I don't really get why you'd bitch about it in a YouTube video... especially if your gripe essentially acknowledges that you understand that it's a PR game, not some search for objective truth. It'd be preferable, but that's not the name of the game.

Icept
Jul 11, 2001

Rexxed posted:

Bazooka Joe to the rescue!

(Bazooka Joe is bubble gum)

Yeah no joke that looks like the underside of an elementary school desk

Icept
Jul 11, 2001
I need some form of confirmation that we're talking about fair trade butts here.

Icept
Jul 11, 2001
And maybe some NAND for storage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Icept
Jul 11, 2001
Sorta off-topic, but does anyone else think Xbox Series X is a ridiculously bad name? It sounds like another xbone refresh like the One X. I feel like the only reason I know it's a new generation is because I spend time following hardware news.