Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006
Would it be possible to get a link to our own Folding@Home thread in either the OP or the GPU Computing post (or both)? (If you haven't already planned on doing it, I know this is a work in progress :shobon: )

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

Factory Factory posted:

Crossposting this because it's relevant to some of this thread's interests:
I'm guessing that's going to cost somewhere in the range of $Texas, which is too bad because I'd definitely think about getting one for F@H.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

MeruFM posted:

You probably should just donate to F@H at that point.
Yes, but that wouldn't allow me to show off my epenis++++

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

Crossposting from the Folding@Home thread in case Open CL/ GPU computing stuff is interesting to anyone.

quote:

Sneak peak at OpenMM 5.1: about 2x increase in PPD for GPU core 17

We have been aggressively working on OpenMM (the key code used in the FAH GPU cores), creating new algorithms to increase performance on NVIDIA and AMD GPUs. The results have been pretty exciting. With OpenMM 5.1 (vs OpenMM 5.0, used in the current core 17 release), we are getting about a 2x speed up on typical FAH WU calculations, which will lead to an automatic 2x increase in PPD once this software is out of beta testing and integrated into core 17.

There's a lot of testing to do and it's very possible that these numbers will change, but the results were so exciting that I wanted to give donors a heads up. Here's some numbers that we're seeing:

OpenCL running on the GTX 680: The first 2 columns are nanoseconds per day (i.e. how much science gets done in a GPU day) and the 3rd column is the speedup of 5.1 over 5.0.

code:
Type of Calculation OpenMM 5.0  OpenMM 5.1  Speedup

Implicit hbonds     92          134         1.46

Implicit hangles    153         209         1.36

RF hbonds           31.4        78.1        2.49

RF hangles          58          113.0       1.95

PME hbonds          19.6        41.5        2.12

PME hangles         37.3        66.9        1.79

OpenCL running on a Radeon HD 7970: The first 2 columns are nanoseconds per day (i.e. how much science gets done in a GPU day) and the 3rd column is the speedup of 5.1 over 5.0.

code:
Type of Calculation  OpenMM 5.0  OpenMM 5.1  Speedup

Implicit hbonds      87          120         1.38

Implicit hangles     96          104         1.09

RF hbonds            33.5        83.5        2.49

RF hangles           51.8        90.2        1.74

PME hbonds           21.8        49.3        2.26

PME hangles          34.6        63.0        1.82
Note that "PME hbonds" is likely the most common calculation that we plan to run in the near term with core 17. We're very excited about the way this is shaping up and think that donors would be curious to know where this is going.