Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

movax posted:

I'm glad his tech gets to live on somewhat inside of Nvidia's GPUs though, versus just dying out completely when the market proved not enough people were going to buy a dedicated PhysX add-in card for their games.

And yeah, Batman is the only game I (quickly) remember having some cool PhysX environmental effects and such (and the duh-obvious cape cloth). I think both of those titles received heavy assistance from Nvidia though.

The cape effects actually aren't PhysX, as I recall, because they wanted everyone (consoles included) to see them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Gigabyte strikes again :argh:

Dogen
May 5, 2002

They're discontinuing those June 1st. July 1st? Something. I assume they aren't making any AR parts for 600s

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Yeah I'll be waiting for the Lightning version of the 680.

I'm really enjoying my generously donated Lightning 580, except for the stupid PWM indicator LEDs.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Arkham City really showcases the limits of UE3, unfortunately. Their DX11 code path appears to be a piece of poo poo too and the SSAO implementation destroys frame rates.

The patch that came out in March has resolved my lingering performance issues, but I'm also running an overclocked 580, so I might not be the best judge. It was STILL getting hitches in a couple of heavy tessellation areas before this patch.

spasticColon posted:

I got my HD7850 today and I have an issue where when the screen goes into standby after inactivity the screen does want to come back even after moving the mouse, tapping the keyboard, and turning the screen off and back on. I have to hit the reset button or press and hold the power button to shut it down. It has happened twice so far so is it a driver issue or a bad card?

You're using displayport, aren't you? Welcome to displayport.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

I've been using beta/dev drivers for a while, but if this is the first WHQL version with adaptive vsync I highly recommend it. I get more tearing than I did with regular ol' vsync but the performance overall is much better and on games where my GPU is vastly overpowering it doesn't waste as much juice.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Agreed posted:

I can't be arsed to read the loving manual because I am almost literally a babby, could you share some experience-based insight as to which adaptive vsync I ought to go with since we're using the same usually-drastically-overpowered card? I'm using a 60hz Samsung 1080p monitor, appears to be roughly, ah... 24" or so. Regular adaptive, or Half?

Framerate limits have been available for some time through nVidiaInspector, but I am interested in the Framerate Target feature... Not quite sure what that's going to do, though.

I should probably rtfm after all. But any insight you can offer as someone who has been using beta drivers with the same card would be very much appreciated.

Edit: Also, if I get a 670/680 ($100 for a 10% improvement? ... we'll see) I'll sell you my GTX 580 at around half price, promise. Put that Cadillac of power supplies to use. :v: But I'm a little concerned at Kepler's apparently rather mediocre DX9 performance thus far... Still enough games using DX9 (e.g. The Witcher 2) that I really don't want to spend a bunch of money to downgrade my performance there. Anyone know if more has come of that since initial reports of the peculiar behavior?

Regular, half limits it to 30fps, which I don't really know why that option is in there.

You might not like it, I still get tearing occasionally (I guess when frames drastically shoot up and it has trouble compensating? not sure).

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Yeah that's the beauty of it, you don't get *BOOM* down to 30 when frames drop below 60 anymore.

I have been enjoying playing with FXAA on titles that don't support it already.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Factory Factory posted:

A few modern games, too, like LA Noire. The facial animation system is a 30FPS video normal map, basically, so the engine locks in sync with that.

Also, this is neither here nor there, but every time I type "LA Noire" I very nearly typo "LA Norse," and I imagine the most wonderful Skyrim mashup.

I think they came up with some kind of workaround patch before last, but don't quote me on that.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

zer0spunk posted:

With all the issues on the 670 SC I'm starting to think the issue may be in overclocking these cards. If the issues persist on card #2 that'll tell me that even the manufacturers can't overclock these correctly and I'll flip it for a stock 670 and be done with it.

Factory OC cards frequently have these problems in my experience regardless of chipset. Sometimes you can fix them by tinkering with the clocks (especially if they jacked with the memory clock, GDDR5 is tempermental, or rather the memory controllers are as I have been corrected in the past) or putting a little more voltage on there, but it's best to just roll the dice and go with either a stock card and seeing what you get, or an overclocked one with a custom PCB/cooling solution.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

The Gunslinger posted:

Been having a weird issue with my EVGA Geforce 670 (stock SKU). Once in awhile the blower will just spaz out and start ripping along at 100% fan speed (reminds me of the GeForce FX at that volume). The temperature while this happens is always reasonable, like 30-50 degrees celcius. I'm not overclocking it or using any lovely third party software to mess with the card. At first I thought it was a faulty temperature sensor but it seems to be functioning fine. This continues for awhile even through a reboot/POST and just seems to randomly stop without any rhyme or reason. Anyone have any ideas?

Its only happened twice in the past week but I can't isolate it down to anything. I've tried different driver revisions, it happens regardless of when I'm gaming or not and so on. At this point I think it may just be some sort of firmware bug, I've tried EVGA support through their ticket system and have yet to get a reply 5 days later.

It's probably something funky with the hardware, so probably not fixable by you. I would just RMA it.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

1) I can't quote voltage numbers, but short of going nuts and modding it to exceed the max voltage normally allowed, you are fine- I would give it a shot since the temps are still well within reason.

2) This is probably some oddity in the way afterburner is reading it. I don't have a 6 series card but it is probably halving the actual memory clock.

vvvvv What that guy says. All I can think of is when RAM used to be labeled "PC 42000 million" and I had no idea what the gently caress was going on anymore.

Dogen fucked around with this message at 19:46 on May 30, 2012

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Agreed posted:

Torn between "Why would anyone turn off hardware acceleration, it's important" and "how the hell did that become a videocard issue?"

Drivers is a fancy word for "big pack o' hacks, enjoy"

Probably around the time they stopped being graphics cards and became GPUs

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Haha no dice. If anything, I will buy a 670. Only game on a 1920x1200 monitor, there's hardly a point to one 580 as it is.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Boten Anna posted:

Is there any hope in the nearish future for SLI without all the wacky restrictions? Like when my 670 is starting to chug is there any chance I'll be able to smack in another one and keep at it without all this annoying "full screen only" malarkey and poo poo drivers, maybe thanks to things like the 690, or is it kind of hosed for the forseeable future?

It's the way SLI works, I'm afraid.

The Gunslinger posted:

The reference blower on the 670 isn't exactly their best work, it's fairly audible. I don't hear mine with my headphones on or anything but when I went to answer the phone the other night while running Skyrim it was putting out a fair bit of noise. It seems slightly louder than my 560 Ti was but it's nothing obnoxious. No idea about that specific card though.

Agreed was saying the one on his EVGA 680 is pretty quiet, I would assume the 670 is pretty much the same. All reviews say the 6xx blowers are considerably quieter than the 5xx ones. Maybe yours is just loud?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Boten Anna posted:

Does it work basically by having each card draw different elements on the screen and them merging them together, using hardware or even just the raw video signal somehow?

Is it possible in the future that the connection between the two will be more of a... for a lack of a better word, logical link that basically just uses additional cores to throw more hardware at the rendering similar to a multi-core CPU?

I'm probably phrasing this in all kinds of terrible ways what with having an only rudimentary understanding of how any of this works under the hood.

1) Yes, basically. I'm not sure if my memory holds up on this or is in fact accurate anymore, but assuming it's the same tech as it was back when I had 2 voodoo 2s, basically one card draws half the lines, and the other draws the other half- each card draws every other line, hence "scan line interweave"

2) I think this is how crossfire works? But not how SLI works. Someone else can probably do a better job.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

That really didn't explain it at all!

The wikipedia on SLI is pretty good, though. Apparently it's totally different now and works in a different way. The abbreviation is the same, but what it stands for is different. Oh, well.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

New nvidia beta driver release, more performance improvements for 400/500/600 cards and some 600 specific fixes

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Agreed posted:

A hundred dollars for that level of performance is sort of a joke when the AMD 7750-900 eats its lunch for about twenty five bucks more.

Don't eat fast food one day, double your graphics performance for the current generation of cards.

How much fast food do you eat :stare:

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Holy poo poo these beta NVIDIA drivers are what the GTX 680 needed on day one. Arkham City is phenomenal now, and the Witcher 2 is beautiful at 2560x1440.

It's a good kick in the pants for the 580 as well. Seems like nearly all AA and lingering adaptive vsync weirdness has been resolved.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

New nvidia beta drivers out today that enable TXAA on 600 series cards. Someone get on that and report back!

Dogen
May 5, 2002

tijag posted:

I'm pretty sure the game still needs to 'support' it, right?

It's not like you can force TXAA can you?

Yeah you're right, it just works on some mmorpger that came out today :(

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Buying a factory OCd card seems like it's been a bad idea for a while, unless you're getting a full on custom PCB one (MSI Lightning, etc). Total waste of money for the same basic part which, as you have discovered, has a lovely overclock that hasn't even been fully tested.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

If they weren't running crysis at max or uningine whatever, it's not really a good test. If you can fix it by downclocking the card, it's prettty much the card's fault.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Yeeah that probably means it doesn't have enough juice to even run a decent GPU unfortunately

Dogen
May 5, 2002

mayodreams posted:

Bonus follow up PhysX question: I now have a spare GF 430 and was curious to see if it is worth putting in with my GTX 680 or not. From what little googling I've done, I've found its probably marginal, but was wondering what you guys think.

haha no, that thing has like 96 CUDA cores I think. No use. Even with the less impressive compute performance of the 6xx series the 680 is light years ahead.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Josh Lyman posted:

There's so few games that support PhysX that it should not be a factor in any purchasing decisions.

What if I'm a huge Mirror's Edge fan? :ohdear:

Dogen
May 5, 2002

lovely, you would want to buy a 7770 or something in that price range, I think, or spend more on a 560Ti/wait for a 660Ti... someone correct me if I'm wrong on the $100-150 recommendation.

I do know that the 550Ti has never been a 'good' card, though.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Isn't chopping the memory bus a good cost savings in manufacturing as well, compared to some other things?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Agreed posted:

No, the 580 eats it in the total VRAM department

But, the super-affordable 3GB 580s!

:laugh:

God, 580s were such a bad decision before, are they suddenly like $250 or something? That's the only way someone should be thinking about buying one.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

I know, yes. I mean, I have one too, so I am speaking from a place of understanding :sympathy:

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Surely HL2:Ep3 will be the launch title for the engine!... :sigh:

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Agreed posted:

nVidia only releases PhysX demos when a game's physics are pretty outstanding. But I think this time they've really outdone themselves. Borderlands 2 CPU PhysX versus GPU PhysX demo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWFkDrKvBRU

NOW WHO IS THE IDIOT WITH TOO MUCH GRAPHICS CARD GOING ON, DOGEN?!

Well, it's still me, but I'm gonna be getting my best-so-far PhysX on while shooting things so eat it :mad:

:qq:

:stare:

Yeah that looks... that looks good. And also dedicated 580 running it worthy (not really), but god drat that is a lot of fluid stuff. I could just imagine the slowdowns from watching that.

However I don't care because right now I'm obsessed with sleeping dogs which still plays great and doesn't use physx :smugdog:

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Factory Factory posted:

Is it fun? First I heard of it was the Steam popup, and that cover art was a bit :wtc: for a first impression.

Yes. It is like if GTA IV didn't have all the fun sucked out of it, and was set in Hong Kong. Also, the combat is Batman AC esque for the most part, although there is some slo mo shooting ala Stranglehold.

The story is like Infernal Affairs or The Departed, basically, where you are an undercover cop infiltrating organized crime.

The graphics are surprisingly good, it has DX 11 features (SSAA woo) and a high-res texture pack.

Also it's by the Just Cause people, if you like those games.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

More than enough.

Anti-Hero posted:

Not to get too off-topic, but really, only 10 hours in length?

I've got 8.7 hours on it and I'm still just in the first two areas, although I did collect all the collectibles in the first area and do most of the side missions so far.

Dogen fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Aug 17, 2012

Dogen
May 5, 2002

If you were running both cards flat out I think it would be borderline, but I don't think (unsure on this) that a physx load is going to ever get close to pushing the 560 to the max, so it should be fine.

Maybe Agreed could chime in with what kind of load just being a physx processor puts on a GPU?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

I would sell the 560 because you can probably get some decent money for it and it seems like total overkill to have a physx gpu to me really, but hey.

I would be interested to see someone do an article on the subject at some point.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Alereon posted:

I keep hearing that Sleeping Dogs is amazing, and the Radeon HD 7870 looks like a compelling deal at $249, especially if you were planning on buying the game anyway at $50.

You can get the game for $36 at green man right now, but yeah this is still a pretty good deal.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Factory Factory posted:

A full makeover is outside your budget?! You were just about to dump $1549 on a single video card! Even at Australian prices, you can get a whole new set of core components that blows your current system out of the water plus a GeForce 670 with cash to spare. Then, if you still aren't satisfied with it, you can get another GeForce 670 in your new SLI-capable motherboard, and you still have not spent much more than the GeForce 690 costs.

Seconding this, if you were thinking about buying a 690, you have more than enough money to redo the rest of your system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dogen
May 5, 2002

The Lord Bude posted:

Your Pricing is reasonable if I was interested in buying midrange, value for money stuff the way everyone on SA is obsessed with. I'm not. Value for money is irrelevant to me. I simply don't care about spending twice as much for a 10% performance improvement. When it comes to buying things, I have a much simpler philosophy. I identify the best performing products, then I buy them. If I can't afford to do that, I hold off my purchase until I can.

But an i5/z77 setup IS the best, so :confused: