Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Hopefully PC games will now more commonly be 64 bit since consoles will have to be 64 bit as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Memory bandwidth will do squat for high resolutions like 1440p, those pixels are eating the memory.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

I always thought that adding cables to graphics interfaces would cause latency issues any way.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Captain Yossarian posted:

Holy cow that Gigabyte G1 980ti :eyepop:

I think this is going to be the card I buy, just gotta wait until Newegg stocks it.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

It's probably a little too soon to know how good the fury X is since we haven't seen any benchmarks on it yet so who knows if it can hold you off.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

The Gigabyte GTX 980 TI G1 GAMING card is in stock at Newegg, better snatch one up before it goes out of stock, I did.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

Because of all the benchmarks and testing lol...

He failed to source his quote, it's from a thread on overclock.net.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

I got my GTX 980 TI G1 GAMING gpu overclocked to 1507 mhz at boost, any higher than that I start seeing artifacts.

Nfcknblvbl fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Jul 2, 2015

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Riso posted:

Just got my Evga 970 SSC and I am wondering whether to install the GEFORCE EXPERIENCE. Also if that Evga Precision tool for overclocking or whatever has a better replacement that doesn't make me stab my eyes out.

You can install Geforce Experience as an option from the Geforce driver installer you download from the Nvidia website.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

I didn't get any emails from Newegg about being able to get MGS V from purchasing my GTX 980 Ti 3 weeks ago so I kindly asked them to give me the game, and they did, awesome!

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

drat, that looks like fun. I can't imagine the input lag over the Internet would be great for some games, though.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

This may be too early to tell but will Thunderbolt 3 make desktop graphics on laptops viable?

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

I guess what I meant to ask was if we'll be able to use any desktop graphics card in a dock via TB3, I know that past docks were completely proprietary so choosing your own card was out of the question.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Gwaihir posted:

What? All the external GPU docks whether the old express card variety or the newer thunderbolt versions work with whatever GPU you plugged in then. They never came with a special card of their own.

I didn't know that the old docks would take any old GPU you wanted. This looks promising, then.

My current desktop is pretty old, and I don't want to upgrade the motherboard and CPU if there's a decent laptop I can buy with a TB3 GPU dock. I have a baby on the way, and it's gonna take my office so I probably won't have room for a big rear end desktop any more.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Gwaihir posted:

Unless you're planning on doing your gaming on the couch or something, you still have to have some place to sit and use a mouse, and very small form factor desktops are all the rage right now.

I guess I'll build a mini ITX computer instead with my 980Ti, thanks.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Those slot-cpus look like a waste of material any way.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

24 fps films are alright but i do enjoy watching Youtube videos in 50+fps. Also, I hate how TVs add frames to low frame rate videos out of the box, it's so jarring.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Looks like you can pre-order the Rift now.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Is there anything John Malkovich can't do?

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

I predict $500 for the 1080.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

spasticColon posted:

$600 for a 1080? That probably means the 1070 will probably be $450 to $500. Fuuuck. :negative:

The 1070 is $380.

E: beaten badly :(

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

What's the new type of video memory that is supposedly coming out next year? Because since I have a 980ti I just don't see any value in upgrading right now.

HDMI 2 is the memory you're thinking about, and I bet the next Titan and 1080 Ti will have it. I think I'll wait too!

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Anti-Hero posted:

I guess the 1080 is a real upgrade over the 980ti for folks chasing 4K/60?

1440p/60 isn't a sweat for the 980 Ti today but who knows with next year.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Inverness posted:

Does anyone know how long it takes for EVGA or other vendors to release their versions after Nvidia?

Depends on what kind of cooler you want on your card. I think the blower type will be out day one, and the aftermarket multi-fan style ones will be out somewhat later.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Nyaa posted:

It's a survey from a gamer demographic whom would care about getting high on their graphic settings.

Why would we need to include non-gamers who buy gaming GPUs?

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Nyaa posted:

My point was the gamer cares more about getting better graphic than being frugal.

Sorry, I thought you were trying to discredit the survey, effectively saying that most AMD GPU customers don't use Steam or some poo poo.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Zero VGS posted:

That's $242 for a mini-ITX PC you can overclock to 4.4mhz with the included cooler. It has the weakness of no hyperthreading which fucks it on some games, but it's in throwing distance of a Skylake motherboard and i3 that'd fix that issue.
That price is great but these console guys probably only own a TV, and a nice monitor could be a bit much for them.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Don Lapre posted:

If only you could plug a computer into a tv

I see what you're saying but it's not like you can expect the average Dorito cramming, Mtn Dew chugging, CoD 360 no-scoping alpha male to properly set a PC up to behave quite like a console can.

Maybe for a small premium they can have a Geek Squad tech come over and set Steam to start up with Big Picture or something.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

yes plugging in a single video+audio cord is definitely too much for the average video game player who has no less than 20 dialog boxes to set up a modern console :hurr:

So what else is stopping the great console -> PC exodus, system exclusive titles?

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I find that last point to be skeezy as gently caress.

If Nvidia sells their Founder's Edition at base cost, they'd be directly competing against their own re-sellers, I'm pretty sure they don't want to do that.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

When console players start playing FPSes on PC with their controllers they're gonna get destroyed.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

PerrineClostermann posted:

I just want to use the freesync in this monitor :negative:

If your video card puts out frame rates in games higher than your monitor's refresh rate, freesync won't even be needed.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

:rip:
Who's going to make video cards in the future other than Nvidia, Intel?

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Nvidia, the only way you can play.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

They'll drop a new Titan before Ti.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Nvidia's supercomputer business is huge, and their GPU market seems like it's purely a way to keep their brand looking cool.

Kinda like how Saab makes cars but they love mentioning they make cool jet planes.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Naffer posted:

Saab doesn't make cars anymore though.

That's true, I suck at car analogies.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

The Gunslinger posted:

What do I want to drive 1440p at high framerate/details? I'm assuming a 1080? Thinking about getting one of those Acer XB271s.

My 980 Ti runs great at 1440p so I bet a 1070 would be a better bargain for what you want.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

This AMA is actually making me angry. The top comment dick sucking is out of control and I seriously dislike AMD Rob. Sometimes I forget how neutral we are here even if doesn't seem like it when we "argue"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOqb_UzJSUQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Taima posted:

One thing is for sure: this phenomenon has been around as long as computers have, and tech in particular seems to draw these people in more than other hobbies. Make of that what you will.

This reminds me of a guy I knew in 2002 who bragged about compressing his music library into 32kbps MP3s just so he could fit more than a couple albums on his 64 MB MP3 player.