Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Regarding SLI... how big a difference does brand, clockspeed, and memory speed make a difference? I ask because I have an EVGA 1GHz GTX 560Ti (model 01G-P3-1561-AR, posting from my phone so I can't link it) that's got a mild overclock to 850MHz core, 1700MHz shader, 4104MHz memory at the moment, but TigerDirect has an insane sale on a Zotac card (ZT-50304-10M), same chip and memory amount, but the core and shader clocks are faster, memory is slightly slower. Would they not play nice together in SLI and should I go with a matched card, or would they be okay? And how much of a performance hit (if any) would I take vs 2 of the EVGA cards together?
OP doesn't have specifics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Nevermind on my previous question, turns out my second PCIe 2.0 slot is only 4x, not 16, so it can only support Crossfire, not SLI. :smith:
Oh well, not a huge deal, not like my performance as is is bad.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

movax posted:

What's your motherboard model? No x8/x8 bifurcation?

Gigabyte GA-P67A-D3-B3... Sandybridge setup, seems to only list 16x/4x. Only got it a year ago, so going that far to upgrade is out of the question.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Here's a question... since 580s are basically getting sold left and right now, how much performance improvement would I really see with one over a 560Ti? Thinking about selling mine off for maybe $180ish and grabbing an upgrade.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

EVGA, take my money and lemme buy a 3090. :f5:

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Shogunner posted:

So ZOTAC says here https://twitter.com/ZOTAC/status/1300856066566225927/photo/1 "first availability will be the RTX 3080 Series Sept 17"

So I guess we're all just going to be mashing F5 on launch day?

I mean yeah, if you want a lovely ZOTAC card that increases your ambient room temp and can be used to scare dogs across the street with the fan noise. I suggest buying one from TigerDirect for the best deal and service!

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

DrDork posted:

Conspicuously absent from the chart: 3090.

Chart no go that high.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

This 3000 series rollout is such dogshit. Over a month and still haven't been able to get one. gently caress.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

At this point I will seriously trade my PS5 preorder + price difference for an EVGA FTW3 Ultra 3080.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

shrike82 posted:

lol dude, just keep your peesex5 and play demon's soul like i am on launch day

I platinumed Demon's Souls on PS3.

It's a poo poo year and I've personally had to see way too many people die this year, and Cyberpunk was the one thing I was looking forward to to finish out the year as a silver lining, and my current GPU is both not going to run it well and also won't be able to run it with everything on. Considering I'll only get to play it once, I'd like to get the full experience the one time. :smithicide:

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

gradenko_2000 posted:

obviously the correct answer is to play CP2077 on your next-gen console so you still get ray-tracing that way

Playing a first person game on a console that doesn't support M+KB.

:negative:

Cygni posted:

Nvidia already makes Ampere on TSMC 7nm with A100, and has said repeatedly that they would like a 50/50 order split between Samsung and TSMC. Porting designs between fabs is NOT fun or cheap. To get around that, Pascal had the 1030 and 1050 on Samsung and the rest on TSMC, but not the same part on both.

I think its more likely that the TSMC order is for totally different products, not a 3080/3090 respin this late in the game.

Yeah, this seems the setup for the inevitable 3060 and 3050.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3944318

I made a dumb garbage thread.

So is anyone seriously thinking Big Navi will compete with the 3080 at the least? Most people I talk to seem to think it'll probably be competitive with the 3070 if not possibly better, but probably won't beat out the 3080.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Duck and Cover posted:

Eh just go but one yourself they had like a shelf full of them.

I would actually go get a zipcar sub and drive to the one in Edison (1.5 hour drive) if this were even remotely true. You're a bastard for toying with my heart strings.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

AirRaid posted:

Guys you're missing the big thing here.

Fortnite gets lots of people using RTX, true, but RTX being a UE4 feature means a whole ton of devs who were going to use UnrealEngine anyway will have access to it. That's the huge thing down the line. Ease of implementation is key and it being rolled into one of the biggest, most commonly licensed engines will see a lot more games adopt it.

More to the point, both PS5 and Series X support RT and it WILL be a mainstay of their games.

Gaming trends follow the console market because it's 80% of the non-phone gaming market. The only reason any of you people have been able to keep using 980s and Sandy Bridge and just powering through is because the current gen is using tech from 2009. Current Consoles are oddly not already slightly obsolete when they're coming out, they use PCIE4 and have RT built in natively, as well as really loving fast SSDs.

The whole gaming market is about to pull a Crysis and kick in the teeth of anyone using a rig more than 2 or 3 years old. I'd bet by 2022 you're gonna see basically everyone who hasn't adopted current stuff being forced to update their poo poo or just not play ports anymore. Having a 6+ year old computer be viable will no longer be an option.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

K8.0 posted:

GPUs for the past 3 and a half years since the 1080Ti was released.

Still the 3080 is pretty loving impressive, even though yeah, I suspect this mid-gen refresh will be a bigger step up than the Turing Supers were.

Yeah this is an odd situation where we are going from the PS4/Bone which were arguably the weakest console generation ever released relative to their contemporary PCs, with the average gamer already having a faster PC when the drat things were new, to a generation that is actually going to be a good twice as powerful as the average current gaming PC in terms of GPU, CPU, memory, and storage. I do think it will take longer than you expect because I expect at least the next year to be almost entirely PS4/Bone ports, but after that you are going to need a proper modern PC for a good number of games, which hasn't been the case for like 15 years.

Yeah, this is why I'm thinking by 2022, this new gen will be hitting its stride with multi-process games with RT that are streaming assets directly from the SSD to the VRAM and rendering your open world on the fly. At that point basically 90% of the PCs currently on the market are going to poo poo and run like garbage or not at all.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Goons, I'm a little confused on the EVGA step up setup.... if the card I got is more expensive than their equivalent, I assume they're not gonna refund me the difference, correct? For example if I were to grab this:

https://smile.amazon.com/EVGA-GeFor...&tag=mozilla-20

And then try to step it up for a FTW3 Ultra, I'd just eat the $150 extra bucks, right? Would it even be a guaranteed step up at this point?

I ask because my current video card won't run Cyberpunk particularly well, but I have no issues with grabbing a 2080 now so I can play it at launch if it means I'll eventually be able to step up to a 3080 FTW3 Ultra, since who the hell knows when those will be available.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Next question, since it seems that the FTW3 Ultra is the card they auto step up to according to their list... so if I grab this one:

https://smile.amazon.com/EVGA-GeFor...&tag=mozilla-20

Slightly cheaper, from th EVGA store... it would still get upgraded to the FTW3 Ultra? Because that was the specific card I wanted anyway, so in this case with the taxes and shipping costs, I'd be out maybe only like $120 over retail. That sound right?

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

DrDork posted:

Correct. The 3080 FTW3 Ultra is the only 3080 card they're currently offering as a step up target. So no matter where you start, that's your only option if you want a 3080.

Well poo poo, pulling the trigger then. I can wait, I just wanted to be able to play Cyberpunk with all the poo poo turned on before everyone and their mom spoiled the poo poo out of it.

EDIT: Scratch that, gonna wait a few days since there's 14 day window to register from original purchase date, and this will ship on 11/1, so there's a chance I could get it too late to register.

Fuzz fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Oct 18, 2020

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

hobbesmaster posted:

You can buy any card ending with -KR and step up to whatever you want, you just pay the difference. You cannot be refunded. So I would buy a 2070 or a cheaper 2080 so you're not wasting money.

Though with the FTW3 Ultra you're only losing like $12 I think?

That's true, the 3070 hasn't been added to their list yet. I guess I'll just grab an in stock 2070 in that case.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Also, the Hydro Copper SKUs are designed for people with custom loop water cooling, they have no built in cooling, so you'd simply be buying a paperweight.

Yeah, just looked into that. Thanks for the heads up. Found a much cheaper 2070 option.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Samadhi posted:

I was dead set against doing the EVGA step up as it seemed like a lot of hassle, but by now it seems like the only way I'm going to possibly get a 3080 before 2021.

Does anyone know how long it takes from registration to getting your step up card at this point?

No one has gotten any step up cards yet. They're basically lowest priority. There's an unofficial fan made waiting list that their forums people have made because they're that bored and desperate to move names around and discuss their future cards.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

B-Mac posted:

Sorry I should have clarified, I stepped up to the 3090. I applied for it about 2 minutes after it went live, 11:07 CST on 9/24. I assume there are for more people doing the 3080 step up.

You can just choose what to step up to? I assumed the 3090 was only an option for people stepping up from like the 20xx Tis.

I'd totally step up tip the 3090 if I can do that from any 20xx.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

B-Mac posted:

I had a 2080 Ti, had the option to step up to the 3080 FTW and 3090 FTW, or a lower level 2xxx card. You of course eat the money of you step down, so not sure why anyone would do that.

I found a 2060 Ultra in stock from one of their authorized direct resellers, gonna try to grab it and see if it works for a 3080 OR 3090 and they don't just try to force me to get a 2080 Ti or something.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

B-Mac posted:

Current list of US step up options.

Graphics Card
EVGA GeForce RTX 3090 FTW3 ULTRA GAMING, 24G-P5-3987-KR, 24GB GDDR6X, iCX3 Technology, ARGB LED, Metal Backplate (24G-P5-3987-KR) (PDF)

EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 FTW3 ULTRA GAMING, 10G-P5-3897-KR, 10GB GDDR6X, iCX3 Technology, ARGB LED, Metal Backplate (10G-P5-3897-KR) (PDF)

EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC ULTRA, OVERCLOCKED, 2.75 Slot Extreme Cool Dual, 70C Gaming, RGB, Metal Backplate, 08G-P4-3173-KR, 8GB GDDR6 (08G-P4-3173-KR) (PDF)

EVGA GeForce RTX 2060 KO ULTRA GAMING, 06G-P4-2068-KR, 6GB GDDR6, Dual Fans, Metal Backplate (06G-P4-2068-KR) (PDF)

EVGA GeForce GTX 1660 BLACK GAMING, 06G-P4-1160-KR, 6GB GDDR5, Single Fan (06G-P4-1160-KR) (PDF)

EVGA GeForce GTX 1650 SC ULTRA GDDR6 GAMING, 04G-P4-1257-KR, 4GB GDDR6, Dual Fan, Metal Backplate (04G-P4-1257-KR) (PDF)

https://www.evga.com/support/stepup/

2070 Super, then.

Though it looks like I got a line on a 3080 FE, sooooo... maybe I don't have to care!

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

B-Mac posted:

Just so we’re clear those are the cards you can step up to, it doesn’t matter what 16xx or 2xxx card you buy.

Right.

Now the question is do I want to keep this 3080 FE or actually still try to get an EVGA Ultra... I do love the look of the FE, but the EVGA seems better clocked, and I don't actualy plan to overclock the thing myself. (also I'm getting tempted to just get a 3090 solely for that stupid amount of VRAM)

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

spunkshui posted:

I want 2x 3080 rog strix cards.

Currently about as close to getting them as I was three months ago.

I don’t think it’s likely I’m going to get anything before they move to TSMC unless they allow Americans to put money down for a graphics card later.

Why get 2? Two computers? Because they don't do SLI.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Now in stock is a pile of poo poo, on an aside.

Amazon just had them in stock bit those assholes don't link directly to Amazon, they do that lovely vendor redirect thing that YouTubers do so you don't know which storefront it's from, and by the time it goes through their lovely rear end website the item is already gone.

Worthless.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

pzy posted:

Hello I have a story:

Your friend is a loving idiot.

But hey, sometimes it's good to have loving idiot friends with more money than brains.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

gradenko_2000 posted:

Card Citizen

New thread title, mods.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

I mean, the CPU side is basically all AMD fanboys.

AMD picked the fight they wanted to win... Intel was lazier and more complacent than nVidia, so they were the obvious target to prioritize and bum rush and steal the market share, and that's exactly what they did.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

I mean ATI was always mediocre at best, too, so expecting AMD to break the mold with a really aggressive multi year R&D and deployment strategy is basically a non starter and completely magical thinking. The console deals and competitive pricing are to remain competitive and in the game by guaranteeing relatively easier porting with mirrored technology on their PC platform, since they know they're not gonna compete for power and innovation.

It's a utilitarian approach that Lisa has taken while they've spent the better part of the last decade aggressively out maneuvering and out engineering Intel at a lower price point while aggressively pursuing new tech like PCIe4. And it worked. Spectacularly.

The genius of AMD's strategy is that yes, as a power user or hardcore gamer you may not get their relatively underpowered GPU... But you're probably going to get their CPU. Especially after that Zen 3 demo basically poo poo in Intel's mouth, specifically for gaming and rendering tasks. AMD will be in your system, and MOST systems, in some capacity. That kind of brand prevalence and recognition is powerful leverage for the next target, when they probably will shift into trying to beat nVidia at the GPU game and maybe by 2026 when there are rumblings about the PS6 and whatever horribly branded X-Box Type X or whatever is on the near horizon, AMD will bust out some new paradigm they've been cooking up all that time specifically to out maneuver nVidia, too.

Probably ain't gonna be Big Navi, though.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

it dont matter posted:

do you know any good gpu jokes

I'd try to tell some, but they'd probably terraflop.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Re: CRT talk.

https://youtu.be/V8BVTHxc4LM

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

DrDork posted:

I'm also not surprised they're not being more transparent about it. They literally have nothing to gain. At best, they say "hey bitches, we're making just as many cards as we did last time, it's a loving demand problem" and people grumble about how they should have seen it coming. At worst, they say "hey, sorry, we're only making like 10 cards a day because <reason>, we're working on it!" and everyone realizes their chances of getting a card are poo poo so they just get an AMD card instead. Zero upside from a business perspective.

This.

When has any tech company ever told you how many of whatever they're making? poo poo, in actual industries where the total number of items is actually important because they're collector's items they often don't tell you how many were made and leave it to the collectors to figure it out on their own and this decide the market.

nVidia doesn't owe anyone poo poo. The major mistake they made was that their own storefront was ill equipped for bots and most of their partners were similarly stupid, which is honestly more damning for the retailers than nVidia because selling stuff is literally the only thing that they do, so they should be better at it. Based on eBay sales and listings alone there were thousands, if not tens of thousands, of cards bought up by scalpers, but everyone is scalping everything during pandemic because people have gone batshit.

AMD probably pushed back all their announcements because their production numbers were similar, if not lower, than nVidia, so they're backpedaling to try and make up the numbers and watch this all unfold to then pounce on the market. It's not normal to push back a GPU unveiling by over a month, especially in a console year.

Fuzz fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Oct 24, 2020

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

My understanding was that they were initially scheduled for a September announcement, and Big Navi was supposed to be part of the Ryzen 3 unveiling. I could be totally wrong on that, mind you, my statement was pure speculation based off that info.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

There were rumors of a Sept launch that never panned out from back in July I think but actual official dates haven't changed and only came out recently around the 3080 launch.

Ah, okay. That makes more sense then.

AirRaid posted:

Yeah, and there's certainly nothing else out of the ordinary that has happened this year that might account for that.

Nope! Nothing at all!

But let's cut AMD some slack about that sorta thing, but gently caress nVidia, holy poo poo. They should have predicted all this 2 years ago. loving assholes.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

shrike82 posted:

are the desktop AMD cards enhanced versions of the console GPUs?
i recall the console GPUs targeting 2080S performance so what gets the desktop cards to roughly 3080 levels?

Probably nothing, in terms of RDNA2 vs DLSS and then discrete RT performance. They supposedly have better rasterization tech, though, so if you're gonna be playing only rasterized games, probably a better choice.

(Everything is gonna use RT in like 3-4 years, probably)

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Space Racist posted:

I guess my 1080 Ti is going to keep being useful longer than I expected.

Honestly, this whole nonexistent 3080 inventory situation has made made me reevaluate if I really even want to upgrade the thing or hold out a while longer for potential 'Super' refreshes, or even for Hopper. Presumably it'll be a while before demanding next-gen games arrive anyway. The 1080 Ti is truly the card that just keeps giving.

(and as much as I'd love to come home to Team Red this time, I'm stuck in the Nvidia ecosystem with a Gsync monitor and Shield TV)

I mean you won't be able to play Cyberpunk maxed out with RT on, but otherwise yeah.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Internet Explorer posted:

Witcher 3 was quite good and a lot of people like cyber punk as a genre across all spectrums of media. It really shouldn't be surprising that people are excited about it. It's okay to be skeptical or to take a wait and see approach. We've all been burned by a super-hype game. But being confused as to why people are excited about it is.... confusing.

On top of that, it's been a poo poo year with media delays across the board and people sitting at home chomping at the bit for some new thing to get lost in and forget how garbage 2020 is. Witcher 3 was excellent and CP is coming out right as the pandemic is progressing into a second wave through the winter... of course it's a huge deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

FE or FTW3 Ultra

HALP.