Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

movax posted:

Blast from the past, a Nvidia Riva 128 die

Thanks because that owned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend
New WHQL Nvidia drivers dropped today.

http://www.geforce.com/drivers/results/44967

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Just for shits and giggles I fired up Half-Life last night with 32x CSAA + FXAA with transparency super sampling. :pcgaming:

Source or the original?

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

Factory Factory posted:

Two neat AnandTech articles today:

First, it followed up on its Thunderbolt article, full of Asus engineering slides that us mere mortals can only begin to understand.

I finally got around to reading this article, and the slides were amazing. My undergrad was in ECE, so it took me back to making PCB's for projects.

I find it really interesting that there are no angles in the traces, and they had to hollow out the layer under it too.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend
Bonus follow up PhysX question: I now have a spare GF 430 and was curious to see if it is worth putting in with my GTX 680 or not. From what little googling I've done, I've found its probably marginal, but was wondering what you guys think.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

I'm sure those AMD Athlon Thunderbird badges are flying off the virtual shelves! :v:

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

zer0spunk posted:

I want to replace my 680, but not with a $900 card that is basically a 690 if the "titan" stuff is true. I thought we moved past the ludicrous "ultra" line Nvidia?

May I ask why? I have a 680 and a 2550x1600 monitor and I don't have any problems.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

zer0spunk posted:

For that reason, I'm on a 2560x1600 panel as well and it gets taxed in certain situations, but nothing worth going to SLI for. Hence I'm hoping the next gen single card solution is the last card I'll need to buy for a few years. Plus, smaller fab, less power consumption, and everything that goes with it.

Well, from what I've read, Big Kepler isn't that great for gaming. Yes, it has more CUDA cores (at least in Quadro/Telsa dressing), but that does not equate to gaming performance. I doubt the clocks will be comparative with the GK104, and it certainly won't bee cooler if it has more transistors, which I'm sure it will.

GK104 (GTX 680) - Clocks in MHz -> (1006 Base, 1058 Avg Boost, 1110 Max) and 195W TDP
GK110 (K20) - Clock is 745MHz and 225W TDP

Edit: This is also the first time Nvidia has not started a new arch with the big monolithic die, so you cant compare the other releases to this one, because the 680 was the reduction.

mayodreams fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Jan 28, 2013

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend
The NDA lifted on Titan.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6760/nvidias-geforce-gtx-titan-part-1

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend
Performance of the Titan is out now.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6774/nvidias-geforce-gtx-titan-part-2-titans-performance-unveiled

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend
I went from a 5870 to a 680 and the performance difference was insane, even on the same i5 2500k. Which is why you should really wait at least 2 gens like Alereon said.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

beejay posted:

Has anyone else been having trouble with nvidia 314.22 drivers? I get "freezes" for 1-5 seconds every game when playing Starcraft 2 and driver crashes at least once a day. I only play Starcraft 2 right now and last night it caused me to drop out of a game once and then froze my game badly enough that when it recovered all my stuff was dead. Not fun. Anyway I went looking through event viewer and this started on 3/16 which was when I installed 314.21 beta.

I had some issues with SC2 HOTS with the most recent NV drivers too. I had to scale back the settings and then it was more stable.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

booshi posted:

I know my way is not the best way to do it, but my receiver only has two inputs, and I have 4 devices I use. I'm going to try to get the new receiver soon to have it all properly set up.

e: I'm also not really worried about controlling multiple devices with the receiver because I have a Logitech Harmony One.

Get one of these in the short term then:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=101&cp_id=10110&cs_id=1011002&p_id=6259&seq=1&format=2

I used one of those with my Harmony to accommodate my receiver's lack of inputs until I got a newer one.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend
I'm pretty sure it was only Kepler cards.

EFB

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

movax posted:

loving nvidia...trying to install R331 drivers and it rendered my system completely unusable...can't uninstall drivers, can't reinstall drivers, can't boot normally; only boot mode that works is 640x480.

I hate computers.

R331 didn't break my system, but I updated to it via the GF Experience, and after reboot, it still said it was not installed. On Windows 8.1.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

Tab8715 posted:

Welp, that was a fun launch day? No cards are to be found at all anywhere. :smith:

I tried getting a GTX 680 on launch day and had to wait a few weeks to get one from EVGA. It is annoying, but halo card launches are usually pretty slim pickings.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

Ghostpilot posted:

I'd always heard that Sapphire was the way to go when it came to AMD cards and I had a great experience with the 7970 Ghz Vapor-X.

Since we are sharing vendor horror stories, I had a launch day Sapphire 5870 that died like 6 months out of warranty. I gave up and bought an EVGA 680 with the 5 year warranty.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

KingEup posted:

Has anyone used anything like this before to mount their GPU at a different angle?

http://simaintl.com/store/PEXP16-RX2E.html

I am building a custom case I can't find a single example of anyone using it so I have no idea if it would work as simply as I think it should work.

Those are generally used in servers, like the mention of a 2U enclosure hints at. As long as you secure the card properly, I don't see why it wouldn't work.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

Teenage Fansub posted:

I'm bootcamping Windows 8 on an iMac, which has an AMD mobility GPU.
Just wondering if it's possible and safe to run a regular non-mobility beta driver on an 'M' card.

In the past, the mobility drivers worked for the AMD chips in the iMacs. From what I remember, the desktop versions won't even install. Don't stick with Apple's BootCamp drivers though because they tend to be very old.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend
Cross posting this from the Wii U demise thread. Someone posted a chart with the relative performance of the consoles, and I added in the 780 TI and 290x.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend
Someone decided to try and mod the 290x with a dremel to make it quieter. Semiaccurate then spent hours testing to find out it didn't really do anything.

http://semiaccurate.com/2013/11/11/diy-amd-radeon-r9-290x-heatsink-mod/

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend
My last two cards were flagship launch purchases (5870 and 680), but you guys take it to a new level. :v: The fact that I paid more for my EVGA 680 than the 'overpriced' Xbone puts pc gaming into perspective sometimes.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

veedubfreak posted:

The next gen cards will be 20nm and TMSC is having issues with it due to *things* last I heard. Word is probably 4th quarter of 2014. I'm betting I'll get a solid year out of my 290s if not more.

Heh, Xbone.

My wording was poor in that I was just trying to make the point that these cards cost more than the new consoles. I refrain from buying consoles at launch, and when I do pick one up, I'm going for a PS4.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

Swartz posted:

So does anyone here have experience with EVGA's step-up program?

I recently bought a GTX 760, which I love, but not knowing that I was going to get a bunch more money as a gift.

Now I will have enough to get a GTX 780 (won't go for the Ti as I want $ left for other things) but I'm unsure of how long waiting will be with the program.
Basically what I'm wondering is if I pay to get the GTX 780 as a step-up purchase, how long will I likely be without a videocard before I receive my new one?

I think a large number of guys here have done the setup up program at least once. I did it for the 8800 GTS 320mb to the 8800 GT 512mb (RIP), and more recently, from a temp card to my GTX 680 on launch.

Looking back at my emails, it was around a week after I submitted the request until it was accepted, and 5 days until it shipped. Again, this was at launch of the 680, so it will probably be a worst case scenario compared to now.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend
I was digging through old files and I found this picture of the box my GF 6800 GT came in. For reference, that is a 27" TV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

Malloc Voidstar posted:

Is there any way to make my 980 Ti use more power? As far as I can tell, at low utilization (idle) and high utilization (gaming) everything is fine, but in some range my desktop makes the lights in my room flicker (game alt-tabbed, or playing movie with madVR). It's very unpleasant.

edit: alternatively, how do I rewire this house

Fauxtool posted:

get a ups so that it cant draw weird power amounts from the wall

Not all UPS devices will do that. You want one with something with Active Voltage Regulation (AVR) which will boost an under volt (ie the fridge kicked on and the lights in the room dimmed) so you get a consistent 120Vrms.

An example: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/cyberpower-1000va-battery-back-up-system-black/3938835.p?id=1219609308930&skuId=3938835

I only buy APC, but those tend to be more expensive.