Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

SlayVus posted:

Apparently, Galax's office/warehouse is in Illinois. I just sold my 970 to a guy in Illinois. Just an interesting coincidence.

FedEx says they'll deliver it Saturday. Just in time for my the days of from work. Come on Galax GTX 980 Ti HOF.

I'm a couple of hours away from Galaxy Tech's offices, but I'd be more than willing to go pick it up and break it in for you. :) I'll send the 970 back overnight FedEx in exchange. It's the golden edition. What a deal!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Even if it is hooked up properly, unless you have a TV with low input display lag, games are going to look like rear end on it in motion. I went with the KDL55W950B specifically because of this but I'm guessing the average TV is a Vizio or something similar.

Edit: beaten

Bloodplay it again fucked around with this message at 23:59 on May 9, 2016

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Don Lapre posted:

Input lag and motion blur are 2 completely different things.

Meant to say display lag (as in the website displaylag.com), but I typed input instead for some reason. My point is that most TVs are terrible for gaming. I noticed it more with PC games but I'm sure it happens with console games, too.

Also considering going from 970 to 1070, but I don't want eBay to take such a huge chunk out of the transaction. Probably better off selling it in SA Mart and saving the buyer a little compared to letting eBay eat the fees, right?

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Paul MaudDib posted:

EVGA step-up program: valid

Exactly why I bought one. I have a 970 right now, but a friend is buying it and I am going to need something a little beefier to handle the 1440/144Hz monitor I just bought. Figure I'll use it for a month or two and try to upgrade. Unless something goes very wrong, I should be able to step up to the 08G-P4-6181-KR (ACX 3.0), right?

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

1070 AIBs available (backordered) from Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B01H0WU884/ (Gigabyte G1 Gaming - $429.99)
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B01GVNNOSY/ (Zotac Amp! Edition - $449.99)

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Hubis posted:

I understand why they don't let you remove something from stock by just leaving it in your cart, but it seems like there should be a 10m grace period or something after you add it before it's returned to the available stock list

I work with a very similar setup and we had to switch to a method where stock only drops if purchased because otherwise you have assholes (sometimes competitors) open multiple browsing sessions to mess with stock levels. It's the solution that requires the least maintenance, which is very important once you have thousands of SKUs in stock.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Decided to step up the 980ti to the SC 1080. The 980ti uses more juice than I'd like and I haven't been able to run any games with even a modest overclock (+20 MHz) without crashes.

Also, it has already probably been mentioned, but EVGA NA has replaced the ACX 3.0 model with the SC ACX 3.0 model for step up purposes. Anyone's guess when they'll actually be in stock, though.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Paul MaudDib posted:

It's almost time to Step Up my 980 Ti from that sale Newegg had for $400 a couple months ago. EVGA still has hosed-up pricing for the 1070 (cheapest card is $430, only $20 cheaper than the FE) so I'm thinking seriously about getting the 1080 ACX for $620 instead. I paid $400 for the card, so I think it'll be $220 plus shipping both ways.

Still crossing my fingers that a 1080 Ti is announced in the next two weeks but I don't think it's gonna happen.

FWIW, I initiated a step up for the fire sale 980ti towards the middle of June and just got an email about 15 minutes ago saying I could either step up to the 6181 or hold out for the SC 6183 I originally requested if I want to wait. Even if you start the process now, it might be a while before you can actually step up to a 1080.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

craig588 posted:

EVGA has very good aftermarket coolers, very good PCBs, very good warranty support and is the only one with the 90 day trade up program if a new card comes out soon then just pay the difference and get a free upgrade. (With the cost of current cards it probably will be free)

I don't put much faith in the EVGA step-up program. The year before last, I bought a firesale 980ti Classified from Newegg with the hopes of utilizing the step-up program to get a 1080. I bought the card at the end of May 2016 and immediately filled out the step-up stuff. Didn't get a notification the trade was ready until mid-February 2017, about one month before the 1080ti was released, so I would have wound up paying an additional $300+shipping for a card that was a month away from being outclassed fairly dramatically. It was very frustrating to see all the EVGA 1080s in stock at Amazon, Newegg, etc. at normal prices during summer/fall 2016, but EVGA themselves never had any in stock to finish my step-up request. To make things worse, I kept the 980ti and have to run it at stock clocks because even the mildest of overclocks (we're talking 5-10 MHz higher than stock) forces the adapter to reset constantly. Compared to the copper MSI 970 I had before, this EVGA 980ti is a piece of poo poo. I'd read nothing but good things regarding EVGA, their customer support, and their step-up program, but I've had a pretty miserable experience all around. I don't exactly want to drive-by poo poo on them, but I also thought it would maybe be beneficial to share my experience with anyone who is considering doing the same thing with the next gen of GPUs.

ninja: Also worth noting that if you do try to step-up, you get stuck with the absolute bottom-of-the-barrel cheapest model with no option to get a nicer card with (perhaps) better cooling/OC.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Fauxtool posted:

so because you mistimed your buy and didnt want a 1080 when the 1080ti was coming out they are bad?

No, having to wait 8 months while EVGA got them "in stock" despite being readily available at retailers (including EVGA's own damned site) for months on end is what made the step-up program a bad experience for me. I would have been better off not buying the 980ti at all because I could have bought a 1080 any time after June for the same price as the upgrade. Actually, it would have been less because you pay shipping both ways with the step-up program. I wouldn't have cared about the 1080 being outclassed as much if I had actually gotten one within a reasonable time frame. It's not made clear up-front that the step-up stock is just a small fraction of the total available GPUs and I thought I'd share my experience for anyone considering doing the same thing with the next gen of GPUs.

I think it's also worth noting that, by the time I could send my card in to upgrade, the GPU was available at Amazon for $60 less than on EVGA's site. I could have bought one in December, a month before the upgrade was available, for about $100 less (including the two-way shipping) than from EVGA. The cheapest shipping option from them is three-day UPS at ~$20 and it would have cost me about $20 to send the card to them.

Bloodplay it again fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Apr 25, 2018

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Zarin posted:

Is it just me, or is it hard to find EVGA stuff in stock pretty much anywhere this cycle? Seems like every time i go browse, just to see what prices look like, everything is sold out. Did they ramp production down already?

Not that I'm actively looking; just trying to get a feel for prices so I can decide if the 30xx series will give me sticker shock or not :v:

The last time I bought a GPU (firesale EVGA 980 ti Classified for under $400 new when 1000 series launched), I signed up for their upgrade program so I could use it until they had any 1080s in stock, as I had bought an XB271HU for 1440 gsync goodness. Signed up in either May or early June and did not get a "hey, send us your GPU and pay us the difference" email until about a week before the 1080 ti launched in January the following year. Unsurprisingly, I am still using the 980 ti. Maybe the stock issues are them finally fulfilling step-up orders for this generation. :v:

Hard to believe the 980 ti ($649) was about 3% less powerful than the Maxwell Titan ($1,000) but now it is $1,200 for a 2080 ti, about 5-6% less powerful than the current, $2,500 Titan. Then again, 980 ti is only 41% as powerful as current Titan, too. I am hoping Big Navi is a worthwhile competitor to bring prices down to sane levels again, but have already partially resigned to the fact I may have to sell my GPU and monitor to get a VRR setup later this year if I don't wanna pay out the rear end for 3000 series. :(

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

BIG HEADLINE posted:

The only AIB maker who put a 2080Ti out at $999 (and *kept* putting them out periodically) was EVGA and they were rare as hell in the retail channel. I think the majority of people who have them got them through the Step Up program.

They must have made changes since the 900/1000 series because I waited about seven months to try and go from a 980 ti to their first 1080 model. EVGA had no problem selling most of their stock to retailers during that time. In the time it took to get my step-up email, they had revised their coolers two or three times and created most of the launch 1080 ti models. I wasn't dying to pay full MSRP on a launch 1080 with mediocre cooling more than half a year after release, so I am still rocking the 980 ti.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

redreader posted:

I've been holding out since swapping my nvidia 770 and $150 for a 980 in 2016, and I just upgraded to a 144hz 2560 × 1440 monitor from a 1920 x 1200. I really want a new card and decided to wait for the 3000 series, as I'm sure I've mentioned before. Who else is in my situation and what are you going to do? I don't intend to buy a TI and the 80 series is normally not really something I can justify the price of, but I'm planning on spending about 600 dollars on a new card. It seems to me like it may be a bad decision to 'wait and see' because of limited supply, but, I don't know. ATI's coming out with something which I don't really plan on buying, some time this year? But maybe it'll influence prices or something.

According to this thread, EVGA has the best return policies so I am planning on getting whatever it is, from them.

We are basically in the same boat except I am using the 980 ti to run my display. My monitor is Gsync only, so it depends entirely on pricing. If the 3080 is reasonably priced ($700 or less, which would put it at $50 above the 980 ti launch price and seems to be wishful thinking cause post-Maxwell pricing is stupid) I will buy one. If they continue the trend of dumb pricing AND big navi is a better value, I will sell my 1440/144 Hz display to fund a newer one that has VRR support from both vendors, as well as get an AMD card. If big navi sucks and is also overpriced, I will sit on the 980 ti for another two years.

I am using the 980 ti for its 49th month, which means it cost about $13.27/mo to own, if I had purchased it at launch prices. For comparison's sake, the RTX 2080 ti would be almost $25/mo for the same period of time--nearly double the price. Considering the 980 ti was second only to Titan for $650, it is gonna be hard for anyone to convince me that going down one tier of cards is somehow worth $200+ more than it was a few years back. Also worth noting my 980 ti was $410 shipped on firesale from newegg when 1000 series launched, so $8.37/mo is what I have spent.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Combat Pretzel posted:

Given the rumored prices and performance figures over the 2080Ti, the difference between the 3090 and 3080 is around 25%, but for 75% more monies. Heh.

The Maxwell Titan was 3% better in games than the 980 ti for a $350 jump in price. IIRC the newest Titan is about 7% better in games than the 2080ti at about double the price.

Really hoping those rumored prices are off because $600 for a 3070 seems insanely overpriced. The 970 was a killer card and launched at $329, nearly half the price. 600 puts it at more expensive than 980 launch and 50 under 980 ti launch prices.

Inflation from 2014 to 2020 is 9-10%, for reference.

Bloodplay it again fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Aug 22, 2020

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Combat Pretzel posted:

My 2070S cost like 550€ back then. Seems similar enough.

7800 GTX, 8800 GTX, 280 GTX, GTX 480, GTX 580, GTX 680, GTX 780, GTX 980, and GTX 1080 all launched at $499-649. 2070 and its refresh brought that line's MSRP up to $500, which is a 52% price hike over what it was two generations prior and had been for nearly two decades.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

DrDork posted:

Not to defend rampant capitalism in the absence of strong competition, but if something has been holding steady in prices for 20 years, at some point they're gonna move things up a notch to see what happens. And we saw what happened: people still bought it.

Some, yeah. The earnings call from Feb 2019 had Colette Kress stating "sales of certain high-end GPUs using our new Turing architecture, including the GeForce RTX 2080 and 2070, were lower than we expected for the launch of a new architecture." 24% drop in revenue and 53% drop in earnings compared to the year before.

Pascal launch had two cards over $299. Turing launch bumped that up to 3 over $499. I expect a $500 3070 to sell well, especially if AMD is slow to release and with Cyberpunk on the horizon, but $600 is another 20% increase over even Pascal.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

shrike82 posted:

It’s odd that Nvidia didn’t push for DLSS support on MSFS. That’s a game that seems like it could use it.

I hope they’re going to announce a slew of DLSS games at launch because support’s been anaemic.

I am having flashbacks to 2018 when nvidia had a slide with a bunch of games "coming soon" with RTX support. It is Aug 2020 and I think like three of the titles have RTX support in some way or another and two have DLSS 1.0 support.

The pic is still here on their blog.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

jisforjosh posted:

Sorry, you got the Blunphiirz240 and it's a TN panel instead of IPS.

I have the monitor in question and had no idea there was even a TN panel. Holy poo poo would I have been mad if I'd bought the XB271HU with TN instead of IPS.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Statutory Ape posted:

I hand me down my cards to my second system more often than not

Re 1080ti being $500 used, I'd probably rather buy that than a new 5700xt lol.

The worst part about the launch of Ampere is, because Turing prices were jacked up (despite poor perf increases over Pascal) and supply dwindled, we won't see firesale 2080 tis this time around and, even if we did, the sales price would be similar to what x80/xx80 ti typically launched at for generations prior. Buying a cheap 980 ti or 1080 ti was the way to go during Pascal and Turing launches, especially the 1080 ti. The 1660 took over the 980 ti space for an even better price at lower power later but the chance of getting a cheap 2080 ti is nonexistent.

People who bought a 1080 ti years ago can probably sell it for not much less than it cost new. What a crazy good buy.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Nvidia's Jensen: "let's compare marbles"

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

DrDork posted:

It's the Titan replacement. In that sense they dropped the price by $1000 compared to Turing.

$500 over Maxwell Titan and $300 over Pascal Titan though

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Might have missed it, but Nvdia updated their promos page and it looks like Watch Dogs: Grandmas + 1 year of geforce now is the promo for the RTX 3000 series cards. Sorry to anyone who was hoping for Cyberpunk.

Edit: of course I missed it 4 pages ago

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

What a rollercoaster of a day. I spent several hours tearing through everything I own to find one of the other two 6+2-pin PCI-e modular cables for my PSU to prep for 3080. I would rather pull the power through three 6+2-pins directly to the GPU instead of two 6+2-pins and the rest through the PCI-e slot. I'm using a Rosewill Lightning 800W 80+G PSU that uses these stupid proprietary cables that haven't been sold in years apparently, so I have relegated to messaging people on ebay and begging them to sell me just a cable instead of a $120+ used 1300w PSU. I stupidly got rid of the extras when we moved a couple years back apparently.

Should I give up and try to find a 2x8-pin model that supplements elec by drawing from the PCI-e slot instead? I'm no electrical engineer but my Gigabyte motherboard from 2016 isn't exactly top-of-the-line (Z170X-Gaming 7) and it makes me nervous, even if it is within spec.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

BurritoJustice posted:

The FE cards come with a 2x8p to 12p adaptor so you can use one of those. It surprised me but the NVIDIA site lists only 2x8p for even the 3090 FE

E: I just realise your question is inverted. Don't worry about pcie slot draw, it'll just draw more over the PCIe cables and your motherboard is actually pretty decent for the gen. NVIDIA doesn't break the slot spec, they don't want another RX580 slot melting fiasco

Thanks for the reply. I would be ok with FE except I have an air cooler on my CPU and the pass through fan will blow hot air right into it. It'd be a done deal if I had water cooling on the CPU. I really appreciate it. Settles my mind a bit and I will keep an eye out as more details arrive.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Shadow of the Tomb Raider also had the frame rate showing at the top left. It was 61-64 FPS IIRC. Not surprised I saw it, though. I noticed the 3080 before Jensen pulled it out from behind the bowl scrapers. :smug:

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Almost Smart posted:

The Zotac 3080 and 3090 Trinity are up for pre-order on Amazon... for $1211 and $2415 respectively.

The prices are hopefully just placeholders. Amazon doesn't charge until the item ships, so I jumped on a 3090 in the hopes that the price gets corrected sometime over the next week or two (and that the pre-order pages aren't up by mistake and get pulled). If not, I'll just cancel it the day before the official release and try my luck elsewhere.

I ordered a 3080, too. I haven't used a Zotac-branded GPU before but if it means skipping out on the launch rush (provided they don't actually try to charge me $1,200 for a 3080), I'll give em a shot.

Best Buy has product pages for the three FE cards and it says 3-year warranty. Haven't the FE cards typically had 1-year?

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Sickening posted:

Lol, some of you are tying up 1200 for a 3080? loving degenerates.

Nope and you'd have known if you had read my post or the one I quoted, either one.

3090 listing has been removed. 3080 soon to follow, surely. I wanna get the FE 3080 anyway. I knew it in my heart when I let the Zotac order marinade for a while. I need to make "$700 but it came with half a blower" jokes, as it is integral to my premium gaming experience.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Microsoft: next-gen performance in the smallest Xbox ever.
GPU Megathread: i could probably fit 5 of em in there

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Kraftwerk posted:

So I'm getting mixed messages from Canada Computers. One location is saying they're taking deposits on RTX 3080s and you just have to "bet" on which card will be in stock, other locations are denying any kind of pre-ordering exists per NVIDIA.
Sounds like not everyone is getting the same memo.

Either way it looks like I'll be lining up early in the morning to try and get an FTW3 card from EVGA and depending on how I feel I would be willing to step down to the XC3 if I can't get the FTW. I do not believe the other brands will build this thing properly with the exception of maybe ASUS and Gigabyte.

Jacob from EVGA said an hour or two ago on Twitter that FTW3 won't be available for a "few days." I am not entirely sure we will see em for sale Thursday morning but maybe retailers will have em listed for preorder.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

haldolium posted:

I hope this test will be included for comparison with 3rd party manufacturers, since I still find it very surprising that despite it's exhaust-to-CPU-RAM design of the 3080FE results in lower environmental temps as with the 2080Ti@320W.

Do you have any sources for this? Pretty much every review place is using an AIO on their CPU cooler or, like in Digital Foundry's scenario, they use an open build without a case at all. Jay and Linus barely mention it and then give no context or comparisons. Literally the only place that I've found who actually has tested 3080 with an air cooler is this German site. Those numbers don't look nearly as promising as everyone else dancing around the "eh it's probably gonna be cooler because your current GPU doesn't exhaust any air out the back!"

edit: oh 2080 TI at 320W instead of its 250W TDP?

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Incessant Excess posted:

Computerbase included a brief benchmark on it and found no meaningful difference in CPU temps.

Unless my German is very poor:

quote:

Um das zu erreichen wird jedoch erwärmte Luft direkt auf den Arbeitsspeicher und in den Lufteinzug des CPU-Kühlers (bei einem Tower-Kühler) geblasen. Laut Nvidia soll das kaum negative Auswirkungen haben.

This says "According to Nvidia, this should have hardly any negative effects" regarding the air getting pumped directly to the RAM and CPU cooler.

AirRaid posted:

Gamers Nexus said they have done extensive work on this and will publish in in a later video today. I'd look out for that, they got thermal imaging and airflow imaging and lots of cool stuff to visualise this.

Ok I am gonna keep an eye out for this, then. Thanks a lot.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

haldolium posted:

Yeah it's a bit unreliable since it uses an OC STRIX at the same power level so thats why I want to see comparisons between FE design and 3rd party, since I've not seen a single 3rd party design yet that uses the same process as the FE.

the CB test are all showing initial heat increase, but less heat over time

I'm cautiously optimistic, but also waiting on GN video regarding therms before deciding. Or at least that's what I would do, if that video would come out prior to the launch in the morning. I've saved plenty of hwinfo64 logs from gaming over the past week so I can pop in the FE and, if everything is unreasonably hot, I'll pack it up and return it.*

*In a world where I hit F5 at the right nanosecond to buy one

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

How long would you wager it was up and live for, out of curiosity?

The Ventus was up for 6 minutes and the Trio was up for 5 minutes. Right after newegg tweeted 6 am pacific. :v:

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Rolo posted:

There’s a founders edition PRE ORDER on eBay at 10,000 dollars with 29 bids.

It has 5 hours left.

Rolo posted:

Gigabyte card on eBay is up to 26,100 with 41 bids.

Definitely salty people racking up the auction without ever intending to pay. In what world would anyone ever pay those prices?

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Rolo posted:

Late stage capitalism America?

I am sure 0****2 with 0 feedback is definitely buying that card. I stand corrected.

edit (since you edited): It's just people fuckin with scalpers. I hope

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Romes128 posted:

The ps5 preorder was a fuckin shitshow.

This was worse.

Yeah I could have preordered a PS5 several times this morning but I never saw a 3080 go up on Nvidia or Best Buy, either one. All the add to cart or buy now buttons have not worked or kicked back errors like "this product is not available online."

edit: Take it back. I got the Gigabyte 3080 Gaming added to my cart at Best Buy but removed it because I'd rather get FE or the $699 Gigabyte model.

Bloodplay it again fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Sep 17, 2020

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Clearly sending a thousand FE to tech youtubers was a bad idea because it turns out there weren't any to actually sell when release date hit. :v:

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

My 45 minute session is still somehow active and my cart is not emptied, so I am clicking submit every 30 sec on the order confirmation screen in futility. Cleanse me in the digital rivers

edit: can't wait to check and find $70,000 in pending charges on my credit card

Bloodplay it again fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Sep 17, 2020

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Shogunner posted:

from Nvidia's forums:

Speaking of forums, nvidia just went ahead and took down their forums for the near future.

I still have this 3080 in my cart on nvidia's site and keep getting "We're sorry but NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 3080 is currently out of stock. Please return to the Shopping Cart and remove the product to complete your order. We apologize for any inconvenience." but they can't tell me what to do. I have spent too much time today screwing with this. They can remove the active cart/session from my cold, dead hands.

Hope it doesn't get a new product number in the back end to mess with the bots from earlier because that would not bode well for my cart. :thunk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Der Shovel posted:

Gamer's Nexus claiming they have sources who say the backlog ought to be cleared out by November, with 10-20x the amount of stock being available.

They'd have to get the techtuber review samples back in new packaging to meet these kinds of numbers. I'm doubtful.